Author Topic: GOTARA -- North Korea or the Mob?  (Read 1971 times)

Colette

• Elite Boss
GOTARA -- North Korea or the Mob?
« on: February 14, 2013, 04:20:21 PM »
Y'all remember GOTARA, the jerks who filled up your in-game e-mail with ads and spammed the channels asking to exchange real money for influence?

Whether or not you consider Cracked.com a legitimate news site (if you do, you're cracked,) here's something of interest.

http://www.cracked.com/article_20283_5-bizarre-ways-online-gaming-affecting-real-world.html

A highlight.

"Have you ever bought in-game money from someone else while playing an MMO game because you couldn't be assed to go around collecting gold coins yourself? Then you may have helped further North Korea's nuclear program."

Hotaru

• Lieutenant
  • Just a demo-loving fool in the Far East...
Re: GOTARA -- North Korea or the Mob?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 01:06:28 AM »
Cracked is probably my sole news and information source these days, and I was thinking of this community when I read that whole article last night--both the gold farmers and the South Korea cyber police sections.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 06:25:48 AM »
I was developing a nuclear program of my own, just to get rid of gold farmers. Nobody wanted to fund it though.

Surelle

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 12:58:07 PM »
I was developing a nuclear program of my own, just to get rid of gold farmers. Nobody wanted to fund it though.

Haha!  I like that.  I would have donated to that cause!   ;)

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 04:07:12 AM »
So THAT'S what Warburg was really about...