Author Topic: Defiance  (Read 10532 times)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Re: Defiance
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2013, 01:17:23 PM »
I enjoy the show, and I find the tie-in interesting, in theory, but I have reservations about the game that I can't really articulate. Basically, it's a huge risk for all concerned, particularly the players. What happens to the game if the show is cancelled? (So far, it has already been picked up for a second season.) Some of the tie-in elements seem a little forced. The place where the show really challenges my suspension of disbelief is as a car guy: "Chrysler products are the only cars to survive the alien apocalypse?"
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Dollhouse

• Boss
  • "What will happen? Will I dream?"
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2013, 02:31:15 PM »
I enjoy the show, and I find the tie-in interesting, in theory, but I have reservations about the game that I can't really articulate. Basically, it's a huge risk for all concerned, particularly the players. What happens to the game if the show is cancelled? (So far, it has already been picked up for a second season.) Some of the tie-in elements seem a little forced. The place where the show really challenges my suspension of disbelief is as a car guy: "Chrysler products are the only cars to survive the alien apocalypse?"

Yeah, it's not a perfect tie-in, to be sure...but it works well enough to keep me engaged and entertained. I started watching the show when it started (episodes are free online about a day after they air, for us no-TV folks), and I think it and the game reinforce each other reasonably well.

I have to reiterate my earlier comments that the game's rudimentary (although slightly improved a couple patches ago) social tools prevent it from being a good "main" game for roleplayers or those used to a more social MMO-type experience. I have literally NEVER teamed outside the auto-teaming that happens in co-op instances (which are fun).  A pity, as the game has tremendous potential as an MMOTPS, with its vivid world and superlative gameplay...but such is the disadvantage of games that have to accommodate consoles as well as PCs.

I play a bit most every day, sometimes longish sessions, sometimes not (look for "Red Molly" at an Arkfall near you!). I love the "good combat and no endless running around from point-to-point" alternative when I get frustrated with SWTOR, which my crew from Pinnacle server dragged me into while they wait for more TSW content to drop.*  It's a good game...and I enjoy the show quite a bit.

*I'd be happy just doing "mundane" stuff and repeating some of the content in TSW, just like I did in CoH, but I either have to do so alone, or actually force myself to meet new people, something I'm not always good about doing! =P

AlphaFerret

• Boss
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2013, 05:13:53 PM »
Hey Doll,

Since you have been playing both Defiance and TSW, which one would you recommend?  I have been drifting from game to game since the shutdown, and need to find a home until our City returns.

Thanks for any info;)

Dollhouse

• Boss
  • "What will happen? Will I dream?"
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2013, 08:19:10 PM »
Hey Doll,

Since you have been playing both Defiance and TSW, which one would you recommend?  I have been drifting from game to game since the shutdown, and need to find a home until our City returns.

Thanks for any info;)

For the sort of long-term, sink-your-teeth in experience most of us City vets love, definitely TSW. It is the most immersive MMO I've ever played (although Fallen Earth gives it a run for its money), the level-less and open-ended character development system is complicated but rewarding to mess with, the combat's quite good (even if the animations aren't...), and the writing is unmatched. The pace of content development is decent, although not as fast as before Funcom had to downsize. You don't get jerked around if you pick the F2P option, either (although I sub...).

Defiance fills a different slot for me. Prior to City (my first MMORPG), I was strictly a shooter player. As an MMOTPS with fantastic combat, Defiance lets me feed that particular jones and still provides at least a little social interaction.

If you pick either, look for "Cascadiant" in TSW* and "Red Molly" in Defiance!

* or "StraightRed," "EarlDafydd," or "JustAstrid" (All Illuminati...I'm faction-loyal in TSW!)

AlphaFerret

• Boss
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2013, 10:07:46 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

It sounds like TSW is the way to go.  Since I am a fan of the World of Darkness rpg setting, I have been on the fence with TSW for quite some time.  I have been trying real hard to like CO, but it just seems weightless to me for some reason.

Thanks again.