Author Topic: Designing an RPG system: Advice?  (Read 1762 times)

malonkey1

• Elite Boss
  • A person who does stuff.
Designing an RPG system: Advice?
« on: February 04, 2013, 03:55:42 AM »
I've decided to try and put together an RPG system based on exploding d6. It's intended to be genre-less, but leaning FAR towards cinemtatic play.

Link to my current Google Drive notes.

The basics of it:

The characters are progressed on a capless "semi-level" system: At each level, you receive an allotment of points to spend or save.

Rolls are fairly simple: Everything is based off a core stat. You roll each die individually, exploding each on a six. (Exploding a die means that upon rolling a certain number, you reroll the die and add the total. If it comes up that number again, just keep rerolling until it stops hitting that number). Attacks are opposed rolls between an attacking stat and a defensive stat. If you hit with the attacking stat by exceeding the target's defense stat, you then roll a damage stat to determine damage. Even if you hit, your opponent can subtract the number of explosions he received on his defense from the attack's damage.

Each stat starts with 1 stat die, plus 1 extra die in a single stat from each category. At level 1, you receive a large stipend of character points to spend on additional stat dice, on skills, and on advantages. Also, at level 1, you can choose disadvantages which give you extra pints to spend. At each level afterward, you gain a smaller number of character points. You don't need to spend them immediately, and can spend them at a later time instead.

I have the basic idea of the system and some partial work on the skills done, but I'd like input on the basics of the system more than anything. I want to get that solid before I get too deep into things. Additionally, some general advice on system-building would be appreciated.
BadWolf: "The point that JaguarX is trying to make, of course, is that City of Heroes is like a tree. And Google is like a Toyota...Corolla...? Which would make NCSoft a trespasser, shot by...um, Mister T...which is good, because diplomacy...?"

The internet is full of Comedy Gold.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
Re: Designing an RPG system: Advice?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 02:40:45 AM »
Sounds like DC heroes where you would re-roll if you rolled doubles and keep adding the total, it can lead to some really hilarious results.

Otherwise the best advice I can give is, KISS Keep It Simple S*****. Multi roll combat resolution is what absolutely kills GURPS IMHO. Cinematic play tends to bring Amber Diceless to mind. No matter how much you go over the rules and playtest, once it hits the masses you will still be shocked how creative players are at breaking the system. If you overprotect for that players will call the game too dumbed down and restrictive.

Its possible you are trying to reinvent the wheel. I would spend some time researching what other RPGs do well and what they fail at.

crayehal

• Minion
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 05:34:13 AM »
Otherwise the best advice I can give is, KISS Keep It Simple S*****. Multi roll combat resolution is what absolutely kills GURPS IMHO. Cinematic play tends to bring Amber Diceless to mind. No matter how much you go over the rules and playtest, ...I would spend some time researching what other RPGs do well and what they fail at.
This.  I also suggest setting up a sample session with 5 players and a mob of 20.  Have a timer with you.  For each character start the timer on their turn. If it takes more than 2 mins to figure out what the player can do on that turn, it's too complicated.
In some games that I played, some players can spend up to 5 mins looking over their character sheet, figuring what dice to roll, then trying to calculate hit, dmg, etc.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 08:54:02 PM »
I've seen that with 4E all the time. They totally dumbed the game down and yet when I go to some pick up 4E games with supposedly experienced players, I see people taking a long time for their move. This is with 1st level characters  :o Fights are pretty simple Use up your encounter powers first and action point your daily. Dead Monsters are a 100% debuff concentrate on taking things out, yet I still see people spread out damage.  :P

You need lots of playtests with many different people.