Author Topic: football players using Madden NFL to boost their edge in the real game?  (Read 3015 times)

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
OK, maybe this is just an EA advert in disguise. But it's still another example of how video games may be of practical use to society. The military has been using computers to teach people to fly for decades. Trucking colleges have driving simulators. If it can even help in a sport that requires an extremely high level of physical and mental training, is there really any aspect of reality that games couldn't be adapted to help us improve?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--could-nfl-players-use-madden-video-game-to-prep-for-sundays--205342874.html

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Re: football players using Madden NFL to boost their edge in the real game?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 11:17:10 PM »
OK, maybe this is just an EA advert in disguise. But it's still another example of how video games may be of practical use to society. The military has been using computers to teach people to fly for decades. Trucking colleges have driving simulators. If it can even help in a sport that requires an extremely high level of physical and mental training, is there really any aspect of reality that games couldn't be adapted to help us improve?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--could-nfl-players-use-madden-video-game-to-prep-for-sundays--205342874.html

cool stuff video games are.

I always wondered though, how can a game based around flying around shooting enemies with super powers can fit in with Madden, a football game based on football physics helping football players. Or driving similator used to train truckers, or combat games based on combat being used to train soldiers. Where would a super hero fanatasy game fit into this I wonder?

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 12:35:36 AM »
cool stuff video games are.

I always wondered though, how can a game based around flying around shooting enemies with super powers can fit in with Madden, a football game based on football physics helping football players. Or driving similator used to train truckers, or combat games based on combat being used to train soldiers. Where would a super hero fanatasy game fit into this I wonder?
Why does it have to?
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 03:49:43 AM »
Everyone says the world would be a better place if everyone helped each other. But the systems of our society are all geared towards being a miser. Generosity needs all the help it can get.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 04:16:01 AM »
Why does it have to?
never said it had to. Just asking that where does it fit, it if did fit. But it would seem that it would have no social learning purpose, the super hero MMO that is. I might have been wrong so I asked if there wasa purpose that I just so happened didnt think of.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 05:31:27 AM »
But it would seem that it would have no social learning purpose, the super hero MMO that is. I might have been wrong so I asked if there wasa purpose that I just so happened didnt think of.

I guess moral teaching tools are too impractical then?

Granted the hack&slash MMO, maybe not so much, but there are other acts of heroism that are less destructive. This oughta be cross-referenced with that "helicopter/magic flight" psychological experiment.

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 11:40:12 AM »
Well, the Madden games simulate plays pretty well (though I've noticed the AI doesn't do clock control well in Madden 13; last week I played a game where I was running down the clock and they didn't call time out despite having all three timeouts remaining). It's also limited to controlling the ball carrier on offense. And one should never call a play action pass since they always lead to sacks, in my experience. Still, important elements such as pocket protection, blocking, routes, and the different types of coverage are all done well.