Author Topic: NeverWinter  (Read 25739 times)

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
Re: NeverWinter
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2013, 06:32:50 AM »
My husband got a chance to get a second look at the game. (Our first look was at Gamescom last year) He wrote his thoughts on the game. http://www.onrpg.com/MMO/DD-Neverwinter/review/Early-Access-Neverwinter

I've go to admit, I'm pleased and impressed with the little I have heard so far.
No idea if it'll last that way (once I really find out what the game is like for me), but... who knows... it could be the real D&D mmorpg I've wanted since my tabletop days. Well, okay, I'll not get my hopes up... but it already sounds and looks better than I was imagining (albeit, I had pretty low expectations... now, let's see what happens when my expectations go up and I check it out, hehe!).

It's nice to be impressed... it's been a while! :)
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2013, 07:25:44 AM »
This game is so much fun.  I really don't know what to say beyond that. This is going to be my new main game when it finally releases. It's very different from CoH, but it is a blast. There's a queue for some of the group content. It doesn't encourage teaming quite the way CoH did, but you can team with others and it is fun. You can help people in the area without being on the same team, and you both still get credit for the objectives. I just really love this game. Feel free to ask questions and I will answer what I can.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2013, 07:44:57 AM »
I'm curious how many character slots you start with.  That and the price of extra slots are two important factors for me.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

beveri8469

• Boss
  • still inside atlas park hospital waiting to leave
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2013, 08:35:19 AM »
was playing the beta myself and i really enjoyed it myself alot. ill definitely be playing this when it comes out.
i loved alot of the maps too and the lore.
@Eternal Twilight
Now in Paragon

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2013, 09:21:25 AM »
I'm curious how many character slots you start with.  That and the price of extra slots are two important factors for me.

Free players start with two. If you buy the $60 founder pack you get one more and if you buy the $200 pack you get three more. I'd assume you'll be able to buy them seperately once the game goes live but I don't know for how much.

For reference, though, in STO you get two slots for 625 zen ($6.25) and four for 1065. In CO you get two for 1400 ($14). Which is on either side of CoH's price of 800 pp ($10) for two slots. Personally I hope they tend more toward STO's pricing for them.

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2013, 10:33:40 AM »
This game is so much fun.  I really don't know what to say beyond that. This is going to be my new main game when it finally releases. It's very different from CoH, but it is a blast. There's a queue for some of the group content. It doesn't encourage teaming quite the way CoH did, but you can team with others and it is fun. You can help people in the area without being on the same team, and you both still get credit for the objectives. I just really love this game. Feel free to ask questions and I will answer what I can.
After having gotten the chance to try it, I have to agree that it is indeed a very fun game.
Combat is more active than in CoH, but less so than in TSW from what I've seen so far (which wasn't THAT much, since I didn't want to play too much either).

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2013, 01:16:16 PM »
From what I saw of the combat you've pretty much pegged it there, it's more active than CoH but not to such an extent that it becomes annoying like in TSW. But more importantly, it's fun. Active or not, the game is fun to play and that's what matters.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2013, 07:01:44 PM »

2 slots. The price of extra slots has not been announced.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2013, 07:04:39 PM »
From what I saw of the combat you've pretty much pegged it there, it's more active than CoH but not to such an extent that it becomes annoying like in TSW. But more importantly, it's fun. Active or not, the game is fun to play and that's what matters.

And so immersive! I was freaked out I'm the places they wanted me to be freaked out, and felt like I was really exploring a d&d dungeon.

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2013, 07:45:23 PM »
Thanks, Lily.
I don't want to rev up my own expectations too much, so maybe you can tell me about this aspect of the game/world...

I'm curious what it may be like for exploring and big wide open world stuff.
Plus, I am curious about player housing and mounts.

I'm not going to put the game down if it doesn't cater to this stuff, but i am certainly curious, now that I've seen a little.
Those things all tie in together for me to create that full world scenario that I so love to play within. Housing isn't even all that important to me, but having the chance to travel great distances and do so on foot, by horse or by air upon a griffon would just complete the D&D world come-to-life experience that I'd adore.

Again, I can handle big "NO"s (big nose?) or "not yet"s or "I don't know" about all that stuff. I'm just extremely curious now that I know this game isn't just a diablo-style retread of Bolders Gate as an mmorpg. :)

Seeing the detailed character customization really turned my head around on this one. So, now I want to know how much further it goes toward fulfilling my extreme demands, haha.

Thanks!
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2013, 09:27:12 PM »
I'm glad to hear that the invites are being sent. I can't seem to find where to sign up. I already have a PWE account from Co and STO. Once I sign in, there isn't a link. Are all existing PWE accounts automatically in the pool?
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Peregrine Falcon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2013, 09:31:17 PM »
Considering how poorly Cryptic launched and maintained both Champions Online and Star Trek Online, I'm reluctant to give them any more of my money.

I'll probably download Neverwinter and try it out, a few months after it launches, but it'll really have to be of much better quality and be much better maintained than their last two MMOs before they see a dime from me.

I'm certainly not going to be spending any money on their special packages before the game even launches.
Paragon City refugee - "We're heroes, it's what we do."

Maressa

• Boss
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2013, 12:15:14 AM »
I'm glad to hear that the invites are being sent. I can't seem to find where to sign up. I already have a PWE account from Co and STO. Once I sign in, there isn't a link. Are all existing PWE accounts automatically in the pool?

Try the following, I don't know if it will still work while logged in. https://register.perfectworld.com/nw_splash

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2013, 05:42:50 AM »
Thanks, Lily.
I don't want to rev up my own expectations too much, so maybe you can tell me about this aspect of the game/world...

I'm curious what it may be like for exploring and big wide open world stuff.
Plus, I am curious about player housing and mounts.

I'm not going to put the game down if it doesn't cater to this stuff, but i am certainly curious, now that I've seen a little.
Those things all tie in together for me to create that full world scenario that I so love to play within. Housing isn't even all that important to me, but having the chance to travel great distances and do so on foot, by horse or by air upon a griffon would just complete the D&D world come-to-life experience that I'd adore.

Again, I can handle big "NO"s (big nose?) or "not yet"s or "I don't know" about all that stuff. I'm just extremely curious now that I know this game isn't just a diablo-style retread of Bolders Gate as an mmorpg. :)

Seeing the detailed character customization really turned my head around on this one. So, now I want to know how much further it goes toward fulfilling my extreme demands, haha.

Thanks!

There's not really big wide open world exploration as the game is divided into zones, but there's plenty of room for exploration in the zones. There are hidden monsters and lore.

There had been no player housing announced, but there are mounts. You can buy horses to ride in game. I'm sure there will be cooler mounts in store. There's also some cool mounts you can get with astral diamonds. (equivalent to questionite or dilithium)

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2013, 05:44:38 AM »

Nw.perfectworld.com should have a big beta sign up button on it. I imagine open beta will be coming in April, though but that's purely my opinion.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2013, 05:51:22 AM »
Considering how poorly Cryptic launched and maintained both Champions Online and Star Trek Online, I'm reluctant to give them any more of my money.

I'll probably download Neverwinter and try it out, a few months after it launches, but it'll really have to be of much better quality and be much better maintained than their last two MMOs before they see a dime from me.

I'm certainly not going to be spending any money on their special packages before the game even launches.

Remember that both of those games were developed when Atari owned Cryptic and was forcing them to put games out in a year whether they were ready or not. This game was in development for three years and it shows. PW is letting them develop it properly. Those other games were not maintained because they were flops. This game is not on a subscription model, so if they don't keep development going, they will not make money. But with it being completely free to play, you aren't risking anything by giving it a try.

I can tell you it is a lot better quality than those games already. The atmosphere and the game play are just awesome. The storyline is also great.

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2013, 08:12:21 AM »
There's not really big wide open world exploration as the game is divided into zones, but there's plenty of room for exploration in the zones. There are hidden monsters and lore.

There had been no player housing announced, but there are mounts. You can buy horses to ride in game. I'm sure there will be cooler mounts in store. There's also some cool mounts you can get with astral diamonds. (equivalent to questionite or dilithium)
I have yet to try it personally, but I'm going to say that the Forge could act as player housing until they actually implement a housing system, if you don't mind it being instanced - I know I did the same on CoH for one of my characters through AE, except here you'll be able to map your own rooms and decorate them as you see fit.
Not sure if it'll have a "test" mode like AE did, but I'm guessing it will.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2013, 08:53:37 PM »
Still can't find a link to sign up for beta consideration. The big "ACCESS BETA" button just goes to a page with a "Redeem Key" window. No worries. I'm not itching like a junky for a fix, just interested to see how they did. There's always been a special place in my heart for D&D games, so I'm looking forward to this one.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Maressa

• Boss
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2013, 09:09:54 PM »
Still can't find a link to sign up for beta consideration. The big "ACCESS BETA" button just goes to a page with a "Redeem Key" window. No worries. I'm not itching like a junky for a fix, just interested to see how they did. There's always been a special place in my heart for D&D games, so I'm looking forward to this one.

I'll talk to a friend of mine at PW and see what he says.

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2013, 09:23:31 PM »

Also having issues signing up, I had a STO beta account, so my email has a PWE account attached so I can't create another, my username from there which is vaguely unusual is in use, but my password doesn't work. Hoping they can get me sorted out, query outstanding.