Author Topic: Today I contacted a Michigan game developer  (Read 2225 times)

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
Today I contacted a Michigan game developer
« on: January 25, 2013, 03:37:50 PM »
I contacted http://www.stardock.com/games/?from=nav

I put a brief letter together and laid out the case for their company to try and seek a grant from the State of Michigan to purchase the IP for City of Heroes and outlined a few of the current efforts and the strength of this community.

I linked to this site and if I recieve any type of a reply I will ge glad to let you know.

herostar

• Underling
Re: Today I contacted a Michigan game developer
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 06:18:07 PM »
As much as I want the game back, it would be a poor use of state grant money...

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 06:24:07 PM »
Stardock has an interesting philosophy when it comes to games, a rather right-headed practical philosophy.  It may be a good fit but they've never ventured into the MMO market before.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Nafaustu

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 06:31:09 PM »
I dunno, Michigan has been courting entertainment up until very recently.   I've seen some reports that seem to indciate michigan is moving from industry into cheap office space.   In some (not all, but some) areas infrastructure is being updated to make it more appealing to call centers and tech firms.

A game with an established playerbase, attached to being the charitable conclusion to this gaming attrocity, might provide the kind of groundwork they're looking for with the gaming community?

*eyes above*   My fever might be too high for me to make sense right now.   I hope you get the jist of what i'm trying to say.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 06:40:33 PM »
I am sorry but if they can make some of the absolutely garbage movies in Michigan that they have lately or bring more game developers to the state and increase the move away from an economy driven by the sole fortunes of the Big 3 - I would not say it was a waste.

I have no idea why the "grants" aren't used more like investment capital where the state gets a profit cut of the film if successful?

But I digress, I kow that Michigan has spent hundreds of millions on battery factories that went bust, movies that were complete trash and other technologies that were pie in the sky. This is a PROVEN commodity. It was making a profit and if a company kept the staff at the 15-20 level of Devs the game could within 5 years pay the entire investment back and even spawn more content.

If you live in Michigan you would understand that the auto industry is what we live and die on. Right now we are flush with a 15 million vehicle upsurge, however a few short years ago dropping it to 12.9 million brought us 20% unemployment. Yes, 20% and the state was in a shambles. Imagine one of the largest union states in the country voting in a "right-to-work" law? Yes, Michigan did that because the terrible state of our past economy forced us to make chabges.

To spend $8-10 million to bring in a successful game - one that is well known and pun intended a Paragon of family gaming and community would be to me a wonderful idea.

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 10:54:59 PM »
I live in West Michigan and unfortunately many state grants do not exist any more outside of pet projects.  Snyder just the week of January 28 states he is looking to see these sort of grants to go away in years to come, but they do still exist as the state struggles to recover.    The film incentives under Granholm were discontinued and I want to say the Michigan Film Office doesn't even exist any more to help out of state organizations find their way here. 

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see City of Heroes return, much less developed in our state which desperately needs new jobs, new industries and new blood.  Just like Disney--it's a wild a** chance, but I say try it out.  If anyone knows how to navigate the state system, complete the paperwork with a sponsor AND knows a knowledgeable grant-writer to offer their time--do it!

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 11:22:32 PM »
And, while it's outside of my normal upbeat positive self, the 800 pound Korean gorilla in the room still exists.

But, if this gives me my game back, Toujours L'Audace!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 11:33:40 PM by JWBullfrog »
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 11:32:59 PM »
After the spectacular (or craptacular) crash and burn of 38 Studios last year.  I REALLY don't think the option of funding a game studio with state monies is going to go over big ANYPLACE.

Much as I might wish it otherwise.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 12:57:15 AM »
The studio already exists.

The game is a proven revenue generator. I figure, who knows.

Surelle

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 03:21:04 AM »
The studio already exists.

The game is a proven revenue generator. I figure, who knows.

Well, as sitting here twiddling our thumbs is getting us nowhere, I guess it can't hurt.  Maybe if NCSoft continually gets pummeled with an endless stream of knocks at their door and inquisitive questions as to the state of the CoH IP, they may actually cave and sell it just to get us all off their backs.

When is Blade & Soul set to release in the USA again?