Author Topic: Saw this on the news CEO of Disney Robert Iger  (Read 7807 times)

caine6900

• Minion
  • I love City of Heroes
Saw this on the news CEO of Disney Robert Iger
« on: January 22, 2013, 10:46:28 PM »
The news stated that Robert Iger as CEO of Disney made over 40 million dollars last year. My question is if Disney exec's make that kind of scratch then Disney could buy and get City Of Heroes and totally run a new server set up and bring back the whole crew.
Nugh said!

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
Re: Saw this on the news CEO of Disney Robert Iger
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 01:43:35 AM »
Disney is a business, not a charity. NCSoft demands for CoH more than CoH would bring in if it ran for well over a decade.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 03:16:20 AM »
Disney is a business, not a charity. NCSoft demands for CoH more than CoH would bring in if it ran for well over a decade.

Actually we have no confirmed numbers on what NCSoft wanted for CoH. 

And what CoH could bring in would also depend entirely on how aggressively it was re-marketed.  To us, it is an 8-year-old beloved game.  To most of the gamers out there it is "8-year-old game how good could it be--WHOA!" when they actually see what it was like before shutdown.  And to hordes of tweens and teens brought up on superhero media, who never heard of it, it's All Brand New.

I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 03:22:07 AM »
The news stated that Robert Iger as CEO of Disney made over 40 million dollars last year.

And that's is only probably "reported" income and may or may not include stock share bonuses.

Lothic

• Lieutenant
  • Like tears in rain...
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 04:06:15 PM »
The news stated that Robert Iger as CEO of Disney made over 40 million dollars last year. My question is if Disney exec's make that kind of scratch then Disney could buy and get City Of Heroes and totally run a new server set up and bring back the whole crew.
Nugh said!

Obviously Disney is such a huge multi-billion dollar company that if they wanted to they could very easily throw a few million into buying City of Heroes from NCsoft and relaunch it.  Heck they could likely even run it at a complete loss and barely notice it from a corporate profit point of view.

But the very reason Disney is now a successful multi-billion dollar company is that over the years they have made some very smart business decisions that frankly DON'T include wasting too much time on relatively small charity cases like CoH.  Don't get me wrong - I love CoH and hope that it can come back in some form or fashion and be profitable doing it (I'll leave the whole debate on how profitable CoH actually was to others).  All I'm saying is that just because a big company like Disney -could- buy CoH doesn't mean it -must- buy it just because a few die-hards like us love it.  As you implied Robert Iger could probably single-handedly buy and relaunch CoH by himself but that certainly doesn't mean he's specifically obligated to do so for any reason whatsoever.  Its his money regardless of what you think he should do with it.

If you don't think something like that is "fair" in the greater scheme of things there's nothing really stopping you from becoming super-wealthy and buying CoH from NCsoft yourself. *shrugs*
CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 05:24:18 AM »
The TF Hail Mary pitch to Disney is based entirely around our assertion that CoH was badly mishandled, and in the current climate of superhero francise proliferation, given very little effort on Disney's part, it could become a multi-million dollar a year profit generating engine.

That's the pitch package.  Getting the playerbase to send bags of mail is our way of demonstrating how passionate CoH players are once they get a taste of the game.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 02:18:09 AM »
Best wishes on hearing back from Disney.  How long's it been, now?  Here's hoping someone there agrees to give it a shot--and succeeds.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 04:12:57 AM »
Best wishes on hearing back from Disney.  How long's it been, now?  Here's hoping someone there agrees to give it a shot--and succeeds.
+1 that.

But it's been a while in real time but in reality it havent been long time in corporate workings. Even if everything work out, someone probably will have to develop a pitch, I mean, some Disney corporate worker, pitch it to a room full of people that control the money, and persuade them and I'm sure even though they sit on piles and piles of cash they probably about tight wad about it as if it's their last dollar. Thus they cant just run in there with a copy of an email or letter of someone from here. They probably have to make a presentation of how they can make money, the risks, the potential growth, marketing, up start costs, and etc. And sometimes in many corporations that means more than one meeting spread out between busy executive's schedules and a few months worth of time. Unless it's something they see as an instant gold mine (remember relative to Disney cash flow) that they must act now, which probably not the case for COX. But hopefully someone see it as a good solid money maker and bite.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 06:48:26 AM »
Unless it's something like the recent THQ auction where you have to jump right in immediately, 2 months to a corporation is like two days to us. 

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 09:58:35 PM »
Also think of this:

Disney decides to look at buying the game, they run it past a group of number crunchers and they determine if they wait 18 months they can get the formerly $8 million game for $3 million.

They will wait.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 10:37:32 PM »
Also think of this:

Disney decides to look at buying the game, they run it past a group of number crunchers and they determine if they wait 18 months they can get the formerly $8 million game for $3 million.

They will wait.

yep.

That have some of the top number crunchers in the buisness world. And sometimes they will do just that. They might look at it as if they buy today for 8 million or what ever the price is and realize they could have waited and got it for 3 or what ever low number, they will feel like they lost 5 million off the bat and nooooooo one wants to explain how they just lost 5 million to the boss no matter how much money the boss have.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 10:54:49 PM »
Also think of this:

They will wait.

Yeah I'd wait too. I wouldn't like it, but heck, the time's gonna pass anyway.

And I promise you, if somebody offered me a contract stating that in 18 months time I could be standing in Paragon City again, with a fresh level 1 looking up in amazement at Atlas' blank grey face... I'd pre-order a year's subscription and $100 in their cash shop currency that very day.

Dinging to level 2 would be worth the entire wait and twice the cost.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 03:28:42 AM »

And I promise you, if somebody offered me a contract stating that in 18 months time I could be standing in Paragon City again, with a fresh level 1 looking up in amazement at Atlas' blank grey face... I'd pre-order a year's subscription and $100 in their cash shop currency that very day.

QFT

Surelle

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 08:42:21 PM »
Disney just shut down their console game studio Junction Point.  http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/185656/Its_official_Disney_shuts_down_Epic_Mickey_studio_Junction_Point.php

It kinda looks like they're pulling out of the gaming industry, at least for NA/EU.  I remember they're trying to break into the Korean gaming scene, but I'm not sure they'll care about Mickey Mouse, superheroes, and the stuff we like anyway.

LadyShin

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 08:44:34 PM »
 8) Now if Disney came out with a film based on City of Heroes...With an epic final battle between Ms. Liberty, Penelope Yin, Lord Recluse and Emperor Cole...

I'd see that.  ;)
"Frank! It's the love boat to Cuba! Shuffle board and pineapples filled with rum. Know what they do? They put little paper umbrellas sticking out the top so that when it rains, it don't thin out the liquor."

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 08:12:46 AM »

If I were promised a return to CoH within 2 years, I'd promptly drop $1,000 on the spot for that.  Wouldn't even hesitate - I'd already be reaching for the debit card in my purse.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 03:51:56 PM »
Disney just shut down their console game studio Junction Point.  http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/185656/Its_official_Disney_shuts_down_Epic_Mickey_studio_Junction_Point.php

It kinda looks like they're pulling out of the gaming industry, at least for NA/EU.

I wouldn't make that leap.  It's entirely possible--probable, I'd say--that they're just looking to rebuild.  Disney is one the largest multimedia conglomerates in the world.  Gaming is one of the largest--and growing--multimedia mediums in the world.  There's no way that Disney is getting out of the gaming industry to stay out.  I do believe that they may be in a period of saying, "What we're doing isn't working.  Let's regroup and start over with a new plan."

Stardragon22

• Underling
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 04:19:41 PM »
 I agree Disney just got the rights to all the Lucus arts games. They are not getting out ...they are reevaluating thier options.

LadyShin

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2013, 12:13:17 AM »
 :o

Disney...

LucasArts...

Star Wars.. ??? ..and City of Heroes...

Under one roof?

:)

:D

;D

8)
"Frank! It's the love boat to Cuba! Shuffle board and pineapples filled with rum. Know what they do? They put little paper umbrellas sticking out the top so that when it rains, it don't thin out the liquor."

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2013, 12:24:18 AM »

Disney...

LucasArts...

Star Wars.. ??? ..and City of Heroes...

Under one roof?

:)