Author Topic: It looks as we are overseeing something important...  (Read 12010 times)

Memorandum

• Minion
It looks as we are overseeing something important...
« on: January 18, 2013, 12:18:13 PM »
Hello guys,

it is not intended to offend somebody, but... I was just laughing about how foolish we are. I mean, watch this:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1675907842/pathfinder-online-a-fantasy-sandbox-mmo?ref=card

Over 1 mio. bucks pledged. Game will be designed now. 1 MILLION. GUYS! What's up here? And we're still begging somebody to buy COH like Disney?

Why not starting our new hero mmo there too? I'm pretty sure we will collect money, if it's just to buy stuff from ncsoft or to design our new hero mmo (plan Z). Then everything will run itself. I'm pretty sure there are people out there who want to invest some money into a new hero mmo (and after that long waiting time I believe COH is really past and we should start looking forward for creating our new hero game).

Ok, why I think it is  important? Sometimes it is necessary to let the past go to look/walk into the future. I'm not telling this to make any fun here, for me I lost enough money and my loved chars with COH but I personally think we should start to look forward for our new hero MMO. And why not using kickstarter? Other games made it there too. So as long we're keeping our hands on the old COH these hands are not free for a new hero mmo (esp. when you make advertisements and other work/project to save the old game, the interest of people are not pushed forward to the new ideas and hero mmo (game mags etc.); I hope it was somehow understandable what I wanted to tell you...).  :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 12:38:10 PM by Memorandum »

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
Re: It looks as we are overseeing something important...
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 12:39:22 PM »
Your a few months late.  We already started our own MMO operation... correction we started TWO.  Both began as Plan Z operation.  The last Plan if we can't have City of Heroes we make A new City for our Heroes/ and Villains.

The two projects now have their own Forums. 

http://www.heroes-and-villains.com/phpb/index.php

http://missingworldsmedia.com

Many people are working on both.  We not just tossing all our eggs into one basket. 

Plans and ideas for fund raising including player owned housing.  Some are already going forward and hopefully soon we see some content. 

One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

Memorandum

• Minion
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 12:40:52 PM »
These projects are not on kickstarter... where you get the money from? How you want to know how many ppl. want to take part of the project and buy the game? These are only ideas offering and discussion sites. The first one offers a hero engine?

Edit: Actually it is missing any detailed information, what you guys are doing and offering now.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 12:47:17 PM by Memorandum »

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 12:44:51 PM »
Kickstarter you need something to show once things get more developed where we have something to show then we move to Kickstarter and crowed raising operations.  In other words we need a Tech Demonstration like they had on that video.  Something to show we aren't just making something up.  I remember being part of the Kickstarter talk. 

Player Houses have been mentioned for Perks as well as other features.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 01:17:18 PM by Rotten Luck »

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 12:48:23 PM »
The Goblinworks has it's own website and forum as well.  Hope they do make that game it sounds like something I would try even thought I'm tired of the fantasy MMO one reason I went to CoH was it wasn't a typical fantasy game.

Memorandum

• Minion
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 12:54:34 PM »
Ok thanks for updating me/us. At least you know about kickstarter and it seems you will use it then too, when the project goes further on. Be aware that I'm looking forward for it... (hinthinthint) to pledge something...  ;D

Iron-Emerald

• Minion
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 08:37:00 PM »
I just wanted to also point out that Pathfinder Online already had full funding before the Kickstarter, the goal was to make enough money to cut down on development time not to fun the game itself. Even then they only just got to their goal and that was in large part due to a lot of neat offerings for the Pen & Paper game and the loyalty of Paizo's community. The deal ended up including a big super dungeon for the roleplaying game, miniatures, PDFs of game books and some other swag. They also had already run another Kickstarter for a 'tech demo' that was funded in June last year.

Don't get me wrong, I think that an eventual Kickstarter for a City of Heroes successor project would be a great idea and I'd happily back it. But the situation is quite different from the situation with Pathfinder Online at the moment.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 09:27:29 PM »
Kickstarter you need something to show once things get more developed where we have something to show then we move to Kickstarter and crowed raising operations.  In other words we need a Tech Demonstration like they had on that video.  Something to show we aren't just making something up.  I remember being part of the Kickstarter talk. 

Player Houses have been mentioned for Perks as well as other features.

Yep then it will be time for me to make the final convincements of why these projects are worthy of backing to people I know with "money laying around."

SithRose

• Plan Z: Lore Lead
  • Elite Boss
  • The Phoenix is coming.
    • Missing Worlds Media - Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 04:02:04 AM »
Yep then it will be time for me to make the final convincements of why these projects are worthy of backing to people I know with "money laying around."

That's one of the reasons that we haven't started a Kickstarter yet, actually - We need to have a nice, professional-looking pitch before we do so, and having that is more important than rushing it and bungling it. :) (In my personal opinion, at the very least.)
Lore Lead for Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
Secretary of Missing Worlds Media, Inc.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 09:42:06 PM »
I wasn't going to fund Pathfinder Online on Kickstarter. Other MMOs have offered pie in the sky and PO isn't even close to being done.

About the only way I can be convinced to fund a game in such early stages is if it has Arcana's stamp of approval on the maths.

Blue Pulsar

• Boss
  • Epic Mediocrity
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 12:49:11 AM »
I'm just curious, and this question has most likely been asked before, but what happens if/when you guys get one or both of the plan Zs almost done and CoH/V comes back, servers and all?
Blue Pulsar - 50 nrg/kin def - first toon - Liberty
Bane of Lanur - 52 nec/dark MM - Main vill - Liberty
Destan H. - 53 SS/FA brute - Farm/PvP hybrid - Freedom
Destan's Fury - 53 StJ/Regen brute - PvPer - Freedom
Destan's Shadow Gang - 53 Thug/Dark MM - PvPer - Freedom

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 01:46:48 AM »
Likely at this point, they may well keep going.  Really isn't any point not to unless it's 3 or 4 years to go.  With todays engines and tech... I would be seriously surprised if a working demo wasn't available sometime this year from one of them, if not both.

Regardless of whether CoH is sold or not, I think one of these is committed to the whole shebang, becoming a competitor to CO and CoH outright.  And given they are using any and all knowledge about how things worked in both, and others, it may well be the very dang best thing to ever hit the Internet since (The Game What's Name Shall Not Be Mentioned) (to those who see it that way) or Farmville to smartphones, and it or they will thrive like kudzu. :)

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 03:34:33 PM »
I'm just curious, and this question has most likely been asked before, but what happens if/when you guys get one or both of the plan Zs almost done and CoH/V comes back, servers and all?

yeah that is possible but probably best to keep going as they may bring it back, and lets say  they just drop the project and leaveit be. Then uh oh, 1 year later they decide they are not makinge enough money again and shut down, or even if new company if for example they feel over their head or dont think the game is as popular, judged by in game population as they led on to be and shut down in 1 year. Then we are back in the same situation all over again.

Only way we can ensure that a game is ran for the player and with respect for the player is to be made by the players. Until then, we will be still at the mercy of companies ran by people that probably never played a video game in their life and the game being just another product among many that is supposed to make a certain amount of money and or when they tire of it, they just flip a switch and move on to another new product.

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 10:27:20 PM »
the best possible scenario would be if folks at titan somehow come into possession of the game code and IP if ncsoft decided to sell

it would definitely make the new projects a bit easier as they could just start running the game again and continue development on it instead of starting from scratch without using anything from the coh IP

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 12:33:04 AM »
The Plan Zs are the only reason I can think of that 'might' convince NCSoft it's worth selling the CoX IP.  Because once the Plan Zs are available (assuming they're of the caliber of CoX), the IP will be worth next to zero.  I don't think anyone here would play it if at that point NCSoft decided they'd reopen City or sell to 3rd party who'd reopen 'as is'.  We're talking a 10 yr old game that hasn't seen an dev time in 1-2 yrs vs. a brand new successor built by people who loved the original.

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 01:27:13 AM »
The Plan Zs are the only reason I can think of that 'might' convince NCSoft it's worth selling the CoX IP.  Because once the Plan Zs are available (assuming they're of the caliber of CoX), the IP will be worth next to zero.  I don't think anyone here would play it if at that point NCSoft decided they'd reopen City or sell to 3rd party who'd reopen 'as is'.  We're talking a 10 yr old game that hasn't seen an dev time in 1-2 yrs vs. a brand new successor built by people who loved the original.

exactly, i think the main goal right now is to try to get the original game back ASAP, if that doesnt happen though there will still be work on the successors which when finished will most likely be able to replace coh if its like 95% same backend (ie game mechanics) but with completely new lore

Knight Light

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 08:55:12 AM »
Hello guys,

it is not intended to offend somebody, but... I was just laughing about how foolish we are. I mean, watch this:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1675907842/pathfinder-online-a-fantasy-sandbox-mmo?ref=card

Over 1 mio. bucks pledged. Game will be designed now. 1 MILLION. GUYS! What's up here? And we're still begging somebody to buy COH like Disney?

Why not starting our new hero mmo there too? I'm pretty sure we will collect money, if it's just to buy stuff from ncsoft or to design our new hero mmo (plan Z). Then everything will run itself. I'm pretty sure there are people out there who want to invest some money into a new hero mmo (and after that long waiting time I believe COH is really past and we should start looking forward for creating our new hero game).

Ok, why I think it is  important? Sometimes it is necessary to let the past go to look/walk into the future. I'm not telling this to make any fun here, for me I lost enough money and my loved chars with COH but I personally think we should start to look forward for our new hero MMO. And why not using kickstarter? Other games made it there too. So as long we're keeping our hands on the old COH these hands are not free for a new hero mmo (esp. when you make advertisements and other work/project to save the old game, the interest of people are not pushed forward to the new ideas and hero mmo (game mags etc.); I hope it was somehow understandable what I wanted to tell you...).  :)

I see what you're saying but; no, not really interested. I'll support the Plan Z projects and anything else in the works to the best of my ability but my main issue is;

I don't want a new game, I want my City back.

It's not just about the game for me. I lost the thing that means the most in the world to me as a direct result of NCSoft's stupidity and greed and I'm not talking about the game itself. My only real chance to get it back lies in getting City of Heroes back online.

I don't care if it takes 10 years to acquire City of Heroes. That's where I'm going to concentrate my efforts, now and forever until the day I draw my last breath.

The real world is where I survive. Paragon City is where I lived. I'm getting my City back, at any cost.

Technerdoc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 08:59:58 PM »
You always have to think about it that a Kickstart-Campain can also fail. Of coure we love our game, but not everyone have to think like that too so that we raised millions of dollars over there. You always need a Plan B when Kickstart is not woking...

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 06:59:54 AM »
Kickstart REQUIRES that you have a business plan in place before you are allowed to file.  Neither Plan Z project is at that point yet.  Kickstart also REQUIRES that you refund the money if your goals are not met, which basically means you can't spend any of that Kickstart money unless you are damn sure you are going to be able to make those goals.

So many people have no idea what Kickstart and Indiegogo require.  It's actually a LOT; pretty much the same thing you would have to present to a bank to start a business.  People have to have a reasonable expectation that what they crowdfund is actually going to happen, or none of these projects would ever get funded at all.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2013, 02:57:13 PM »
Pretty much what VV just said. It's a lot of work to put together a Kickstarter, and it's always in one's best interest to make sure one's goals are achievable.