Author Topic: Essential Super Hero Movie Collection  (Read 17360 times)

Little Green Frog

• Boss
  • @Little Green Frog
Re: Essential Super Hero Movie Collection
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2013, 11:26:00 PM »
Dredd 2012

Yes, this. Very entertaining and well produced. I found it to be a very enjoyable movie.

Ironbull

• Minion
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2013, 03:24:35 AM »
Showgirls!!!  Oh wait, no wrong list.   Sooo many great movies named, but to sum it up, I think they are all essential.  Even the bad ones.  After all, we can't succeed unless we first learn failure.  Of course we could have done without some of the epic failures.  (The first attempt at a fantastic 4 movie) Hmmm.....  Do I sense a new topic idea?

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2013, 04:39:19 AM »
Showgirls!!!  Oh wait, no wrong list.   Sooo many great movies named, but to sum it up, I think they are all essential.  Even the bad ones.  After all, we can't succeed unless we first learn failure.  Of course we could have done without some of the epic failures.  (The first attempt at a fantastic 4 movie)

Indeed

MindBlender

• Boss
  • My Main was a healer, wish he was here now.
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2013, 09:26:43 AM »
Lets face it folks...We had superior reflexes in our game, so a guy (Bruce Willis) going up against several thugs armed with automatic rifles HAD to have SR as well.  Blade 1 only in my book since the others bored me.  Also, which Hulk movie do we choose as the best for the Ultimate Collection? 

Sorry to say it, but I liked Ghost Rider.  This may be due to the fact that most other Cage movies should have been put down behind the barn and not released.

XMen Origins-Wolverine since it answers questions we were waiting for answer to.
XMen-Crated questions the movie above answered.
Avengers
Green Hornet
Sucker Punch-Just for that "what the heck am I on?" feeling when watching it.
Swamp Thing- All 50 times I have watched it
Toxic Avenger-I don't understand why I like it, I just do.
All my computer skill was used up on my Commodore 64 decades ago...

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2013, 10:08:19 AM »
Defendor (not a typo) is a great little 'superhero' film, and Griff the Invisible. Super is also pretty cool.

And I really liked Sky High, too.  And Mystery Men.

But I expecially adore Defendor and Griff.

And Robert Downey Jnr, but that's neither here nor there :-p

--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2013, 10:52:00 AM »
XMen Origins-Wolverine since it answers questions we were waiting for answer to.

The only question it answered for me was "Can a movie possibly be worse than its licensed video game?" and the answer was surprisingly "Yes."
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Gothenem

• Minion
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2013, 02:07:13 PM »
OK, so I'll separate them into three categories:

Heroic Hero Movies:
Iron Man 1 & 2
Hulk (Ed Norton)
Thor
Spiderman 1&2
Amazing Spiderman (The newest one)
Captain America
Avengers
Superman (Christopher Reeves)
X-Men 1 & 2
X-Men First Class
Incredibles

Dark and Gritty Hero Movies:
V for Vendetta
Watchmen
Batman (1989)
Batman Returns
Batman Begins
Batman: Dark Knight
Batman: Dark Knight Rises
Crow
Hancock
Hellboy 1&2
League of Extraordinary Adventurers

Comedic/Niche Hero Movies:
Kick Ass
Sky High
Mystery Men
Despicable Me
Megamind

And a bonus category - Hero movies to AVOID:
Batman and Robin
Hulk (1991)
Batman and Robin
Super
Batman and Robin
Not Another Superhero Movie
Batman and Robin
Green Hornet
Batman and Robin
Zoom
Batman and Robin

Frostyfrozen

• Boss
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2013, 09:40:12 PM »
May I suggest.
To watch Hero movies:
The Mask of Zorro - 1998
The Legend of Zorro - 2006
Green Lantren - 2011

To avoid Hero movies:
Steel - 1997
Catwoman - 2004

Ironbull

• Minion
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2013, 04:41:57 PM »
The hardest part of watching a Super Hero movie is being a fan before the movie.  Watching Hollywood butcher stories of our favorite Characters is tough.  As much as we try to be objective, it's hard not to get angry when our favorites are twisted into crap balls.  I understand the need for Hollywood to change a little, or add new stories, but screwing with their origins or re-writing back stories is a big no no.  Wolverine origins, X-Men movies.  Blehhh.  If you think those were good, i urge you to go read the comics those movies were taken from.  Wolverines complete back story is so much better than that turd of a movie explains.  Not to mention I'm still not over what they did to Deadpool.  Evil Hollywood bastards.  Poor Wade.

MindBlender

• Boss
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2013, 01:18:13 AM »
The hardest part of watching a Super Hero movie is being a fan before the movie.  Watching Hollywood butcher stories of our favorite Characters is tough.  As much as we try to be objective, it's hard not to get angry when our favorites are twisted into crap balls.  I understand the need for Hollywood to change a little, or add new stories, but screwing with their origins or re-writing back stories is a big no no.  Wolverine origins, X-Men movies.  Blehhh.  If you think those were good, i urge you to go read the comics those movies were taken from.  Wolverines complete back story is so much better than that turd of a movie explains.  Not to mention I'm still not over what they did to Deadpool.  Evil Hollywood bastards.  Poor Wade.

Just watch any movie made from a Stephen King novel.  Most are trashed and he allows it (he is in most of them).  I will never understand Hollyweird.

LadyShin

• Elite Boss
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2013, 09:46:40 PM »
Favorite Superhero movies of all time:

Superman 1-4
Green Lantern
The Fantastic Four
The Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (Galactus is in this one - reminiscent of the 'Coming Storm' in COH)
X-Men
X-2
Wolverine
Daredevil
Elektra
Meteor Man
Iron Man
Iron Man 2
Batman(tim burton)
Batman Returns
Batman Forever
Batman & Robin
Watchmen
Supergirl
Thor
Swamp Thing
Ghost Rider
Hulk (2003)
The Incredible Hulk (2008)
The Crow
The Crow: City of Angels
The Crow: Stairway to Heaven
The Crow: Salvation
The Crow: Wicked Prayer

"Frank! It's the love boat to Cuba! Shuffle board and pineapples filled with rum. Know what they do? They put little paper umbrellas sticking out the top so that when it rains, it don't thin out the liquor."

Ironbull

• Minion
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2013, 02:30:36 AM »

Just watch any movie made from a Stephen King novel.  Most are trashed and he allows it (he is in most of them).  I will never understand Hollyweird.

Yep, got that right.  Silver Bullet wasn't too bad, but for the most part yuck.  Then again, I feel he kinda gives up and gives in on a lot.  The final book in the Gunslinger series is a prime example.  Sometimes writing the end is tougher than writing the beginning.  So my thought s are, if your not ready to end it, don't force it.

MindBlender

• Boss
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2013, 05:36:07 AM »
Yep, got that right.  Silver Bullet wasn't too bad, but for the most part yuck.  Then again, I feel he kinda gives up and gives in on a lot.  The final book in the Gunslinger series is a prime example.  Sometimes writing the end is tougher than writing the beginning.  So my thought s are, if your not ready to end it, don't force it.

Goes for any media.  Dean Koontz hates...just hates... to collaborate on his books and the Frankenstein series showed it.  He took forever to finish it up AND it was rushed to have the final nail put in the coffin.  The books always started out good, but it seemed that as they went on he wrote like he was "running out of pages" and rushed the ends.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2013, 05:48:42 AM »
Alright, I now feel the need to plug a couple of lesser-known super-heroic films.

I-man: 1986. When a man is exposed to an alien gas, he acquires the ability to heal instantly and survive any injury or toxin.

It was made for Wonderful World of Disney, so that oughta give you a clue of the quality of the film. It's no ground-breaking movie by any means, but it's still worth a view for a superhero fan I guess.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091248/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

C.H.O.M.P.S. 1979. A young man invents a robot dog that has super strength, x-ray vision and can detect crimes being committed. A greedy businessman tries to steal the invention from him.

Sure it's campy, and the tech takes pseudo-science to a new level, but since it's a comedy, it doesn't matter that much. This film can still make me laugh today.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078924/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Pumaman: Low-budget superhero flick about a young man given a mystical medallion by a South American shaman, in order to become a puma- empowered champion like his father before him. In trying to locate the young man initially, the shaman has the nasty habit of pushing candidates out windows to test them

Why do I even know about this film? Sometime during the 80's it came on in a cheap hotel room while my parents and I were on vacation. I didn't even see the whole thing, but woke up at just the right time to be completely freaked out by the weird floating head thing, followed by what I could only assume at the time, was planet Jupiter hovering about in Earth's atmosphere. This is a BAD movie, but I'd still watch it now, once, if I had a copy. And if you don't want to watch it on its own, you can always watch Joel, Tom Servo, and Crooooooooooow heckle it to death.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081693/

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2013, 02:28:08 PM »

For some reason, the movies made under his Richard Bachmann pseudonym translate much better:  Shawshank Redemption, Stand By Me, the Green Mile, and Misery.
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2013, 11:07:48 PM »
I enjoyed the first 'Black Scorpion' movie.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2013, 12:35:11 AM »
For the record, on the Pumaman MST3K episode, it's Mike, not Joel.  (It's season 9, which means that it's also Pearl, Bobo and Brain Guy down in Castle Forrester) I actually kinda like the movie uncut, if only because Vadinho (the supposed sidekick) gets more awesome scenes (including tearing the hero's car apart and insulting him, plus magically healing himself) in the unedited version.

The guy who played Tony/Pumaman went on to become a malpractice attorney, and actually appeared on an episode of the Daily Show back in 2005.

I actually also like the Hulk (2003) film non-ironically, but it needed a better villain and more tank-punching.  It wasn't perfect by any means, but I think it got a lot of things right, and I really liked Bana as Banner, more than Norton.  (Admittedly, I liked Mark Ruffalo more than both of them)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 12:42:13 AM by Thunder Glove »

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2013, 01:08:07 AM »
For the record, on the Pumaman MST3K episode, it's Mike, not Joel.  (It's season 9, which means that it's also Pearl, Bobo and Brain Guy down in Castle Forrester)

I doth believeth I hath just been schooled.

microc

• Boss
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2013, 12:10:33 AM »
Old school movie..Johnny scokko and his flying robot. There a short movie that splices some of the episodes into a movie that was on channel 56 Boston mass in the 70'. There also the live version of battleship Yamato. Also fantastic voyage and infra-man and ultraman.

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2013, 12:40:22 AM »
and.....