Author Topic: Essential Super Hero Movie Collection  (Read 17357 times)

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
Re: Essential Super Hero Movie Collection
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2013, 02:45:55 AM »
For the record, on the Pumaman MST3K episode, it's Mike, not Joel.  (It's season 9, which means that it's also Pearl, Bobo and Brain Guy down in Castle Forrester) I actually kinda like the movie uncut, if only because Vadinho (the supposed sidekick) gets more awesome scenes (including tearing the hero's car apart and insulting him, plus magically healing himself) in the unedited version.

The guy who played Tony/Pumaman went on to become a malpractice attorney, and actually appeared on an episode of the Daily Show back in 2005.

I actually also like the Hulk (2003) film non-ironically, but it needed a better villain and more tank-punching.  It wasn't perfect by any means, but I think it got a lot of things right, and I really liked Bana as Banner, more than Norton.  (Admittedly, I liked Mark Ruffalo more than both of them)

When I was a kid, in the summer, CBS (I think) would all show all kinds of weird movies late at night-- and my parents would generally let me stay up that late in the summer, so I saw Puma Man without the MST3K riffing...

Gotta admit I loved the big Guide as he tore apart a car with his bare hands. :D

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2013, 03:30:45 AM »
I may be repeating here, but three often overlooked "Superhero" flicks I really enjoy:

Punisher - Tom Jane's version from 2004. Probably the best re-imagining of the character I've seen, extremely faithful to the comics (Some scenes are lifted wholesale), and managed to be a very nice homage to the Vigilante Action Films of the 1970s a la Death Wish. If you haven't seen it for whatever reason, do so. It's a slow moving movie, but it builds up to a great climax.

Unbreakable - Back before M. Night Shamallamadingdong went off the deep end - indeed, it's one of the films that helped launch his career. Samuel L. Jackson plays a man plagued all his life with a disease that makes his bones brittle, and as a child he couldn't do much but read comic books. Now an adult and the witness of a terrible accident, he's quite possibly discovered something out of his childhood - a honest to goodness indestructible man (played by Bruce Willis).

This is a great film, stigma surrounding the director or no. It's well put together, it really keeps you guessing (Is Willis' character really gifted or simply lucky?), and has a twist that...well...I'd say it's on par with any comic legendary twist.

Boondock Saints - Okay, so not a real Super Hero movie per say, it's still a movie featuring two brothers who are seemingly chosen by God to become avenging angels for the citizens of Boston. It's an action film at its core like Punisher, but it has the set up and the characters that are very much reminiscent of Comic Book origin stories.
All that I'm after is a life filled with laughter

LydiaFrost

• Minion
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2013, 11:07:09 AM »
Thank you for mentioning Misfits of Science, I saw it a long Time ago and couldnt remeber the Name.

You could also try Heroic Trio.

silvers1

• Boss
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2013, 11:42:38 AM »

I would add "Wreck-it Ralph" to the list.  One of the best animated movies I've seen in a while.
Ralph would go in the "anti-hero" category.

I dont agree with the addition of Green Hornet - tried watching it the other night and quit after 45 minutes -
a prime requisite of a movie for me is that I have to like *someone* in the movie. 
--- Hercules - Freedom Server ---

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2013, 12:50:40 PM »
While Wreck-It Ralph is an excellent movie - quite possibly the best movie of the last year, and would be up there for the last 10 (though Megamind robs it of any shoo-in status) - it is not a superhero movie. It is a heroic movie, but the tone is not quite right for a "super-heroes" movie. It's closer to epic fantasy in how it plays out.

The down-on-his-luck peasant with something to prove goes and rescues the imprisoned maiden.

The thing, I think, that makes it work so well is that it's not straight-up that; it's also a "adopt the urchin to find your purpose" movie, a coming of age story, and a tale of overcoming one's own limitations and of accepting oneself as one is.

And there's even a dragon - well, giant sapient evil monster - at the end to defeat.

But it's not superheroes.

Allotrion

• Underling
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2013, 08:53:06 PM »
I am dating myself but no one has mentioned The Greatest American Hero.  Very campy, from what I remember, but very popular back in it's day.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2013, 03:38:32 AM »
I am dating myself but no one has mentioned The Greatest American Hero.  Very campy, from what I remember, but very popular back in it's day.

Really, never heard of it.  How about you Ralph? :P

But this is about movies and not TV series.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Pep Rally

• Boss
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2013, 08:22:38 PM »
Old school movie..Johnny scokko and his flying robot. There a short movie that splices some of the episodes into a movie that was on channel 56 Boston mass in the 70'. There also the live version of battleship Yamato. Also fantastic voyage and infra-man and ultraman.

Good old Creature double feature.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m--ayWTBWi0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Au_uwewd18

Also, I definitely would have included Misfits of Science, and Greatest American Hero if we were talking TV as well.

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2013, 04:08:16 AM »
AMC has League of Extraordinary Gentlemen on right now. While I've heard it's a pretty poor imitation of the comic and it's the movie that caused Sean Connery to retire...I do love this film.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2013, 04:19:52 AM »
So much potential.  But so many Alan Moore books are unfilmable.  Then you have the old "I want to put my take on this great story" by the screenwriter, director, cast, etc. which translates into EGO, EGO, EGO.

I was amazed when Hugo Weaving had the guts (for a known property) to go masked for the entire movie. 

See that's the thing that ticks me off with most superhero movies, they wear a mask to protect their identities and to shield their love ones but in the movies it seems the actor portraying them can't keep the damn thing on when in costume.  It's like they get paid by the time their face is visible.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2013, 04:26:11 AM »
FatherXmas, it's a rare actor who can get their emotions to shine through a mask, especially a non-articulate one like Guy Fawkes. Most probably can't grasp the concept, because they've been trained to do subtlety in a very different way.

And the actors who ARE already trained well to do this sort of thing, well... they don't get the kind of recognition that earns you big roles in films. You usually see them in credits with names like "Dying Orc #11." And if they're not doing that, they're in a themepark, sweating in a 200-degree micro-environment, bringing smiles to the kiddies.

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2013, 04:39:18 AM »
Which is why it's worth giving the actors who are willing to put on the masks (Hugo Weaving and Karl Urban) all the praise in the world.

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2013, 11:14:43 PM »
May be repeating the thread here, but seriously get into the DC animated movies as much as you can, they're pretty much excellent across the board. I'd easily rank a good number of them alongside the best theatrical superhero movies.

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2013, 12:09:33 AM »
Absolutely. DC's live action stuff is hit and miss, but the Animated stuff is almost entirely gold. Especially Justice League: A New Frontier and Batman: Under the Red Hood (Which is actually better then the comics that inspired it).

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2013, 04:18:10 PM »
Under the Red Hood has made my daughter a new hero to adore. Just a shame that it is the same Jason Todd that we all hated. LOL. She has lost faith in Red Arrow with the new retcon however.
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2013, 10:54:57 AM »
Just watched Superman Unbound yesterday. (Animated movie featuring Superman vs. Brainiac.)

I thought it was pretty good. Lois didn't annoy me. Kara had personality. And Superman didn't come across as a total idiot. :D