Author Topic: Facebook Superhero Game showing Ghost Widow art  (Read 7313 times)

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Re: Facebook Superhero Game showing Ghost Widow art
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 03:48:47 AM »
Is it just the angle or is that Sister Arilia with a BnT body?  Those melons look a bit more extreme than I am used to seeing on CoH?

looks the same way as it did in COX to me.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 04:37:58 AM »
Apparently not, which is one of the reasons everyone is scared of 'bootlegging' CoH. They can't claim loss of money because they're not selling the product themselves. But if they don't frivolously pursue copyright infringers,  they supposedly risk losing their copyright. So in short, every business is forced to be a complete a-hole over "sharing", even if they don't want to be.
You can't lose copyright except by letting it expire through time. It's trademarks that must be defended or lose its legality.

IP is copyrighted, not trademarked.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Copper Cockroach

• Boss
  • Phoenix Project: 2D Art Lead
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2013, 01:51:32 PM »
WotC gets away with this, somehow:

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2013, 03:03:55 PM »
WotC gets away with this, somehow:
You can't own the IDEA of a girl with white skin and dark eyes.  Period.

LadyWizard

• Minion
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2013, 03:42:08 PM »
unfortunatly I did click on that ad just so I could see what was going on... all it was was basically a page listing free MMOs with the big one being the facebook app Avengers Alliance(yes it's a marvel app put out by disney's latest acquistion in that genre)

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2013, 04:42:49 PM »

yeah I agree and even if the idea could be owned, it would not have been COX to own it.

That idea of a pale girl with dark eyes is ancient. I'm not even sure personally who created it but it existed before Ghost Widow and met a few people even in the early 90s and as far back as late 80s of real life people looking pale with dark eyes. That is about as far back as my memory go as far as seeing it in person. Seen pictures of people of that style that went as far back as the 60s, and given that, according to some of the real people that I talked to that modeled their appearance on that idea, based it off a style of European Victorian ages. After some research, the pale with dark eye look was mentioned a few times in the books about Victorian fashion although it seemed to be more of niche fashion in those times but pale and dark eyes have been described in European literature that dated as far about witches and vampires that sported that look that dated back to the late 1700s and very early pre-victorian 1800s.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2013, 07:04:04 PM »

Still, that, with the dark clothing, the black lips, the long, flowing white hair, the eyes without irises or pupils...

There does come a point at which the combination of factors adds to to, "It's infringing."  I hate to say it, but looking at the picture, if I were on a jury, I'd say, "Yeah, that's infringing."

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2013, 10:02:36 PM »
Still, that, with the dark clothing, the black lips, the long, flowing white hair, the eyes without irises or pupils...

There does come a point at which the combination of factors adds to to, "It's infringing."  I hate to say it, but looking at the picture, if I were on a jury, I'd say, "Yeah, that's infringing."
And I'd be on the jury saying "nope."
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2013, 10:33:43 PM »
The look is rather generic
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2013, 11:18:47 PM »
The look is rather generic
yep.

I wouldnt be surprised if a GW look alike that predated COX by years pop up.

Copper Cockroach

• Boss
  • Phoenix Project: 2D Art Lead
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2013, 12:13:01 AM »
I wouldnt be surprised if a GW look alike that predated COX by years pop up.

You mean like DC's Silver Banshee, dating back to the mid-80s?

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2013, 12:24:53 AM »
Temporal copyright infringement!?  It's a Nemesis plot I tell ya.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2013, 12:45:05 AM »
I was originally thinking that it was infringement because it might actually be a CoH screencap. Her breastplate would've given it away but its covered by her arms. Just realized she's missing the high-collar turtleneckish thingy though.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2013, 02:23:30 AM »
I was originally thinking that it was infringement because it might actually be a CoH screencap. Her breastplate would've given it away but its covered by her arms. Just realized she's missing the high-collar turtleneckish thingy though.
It is a screenshot. Of Sister Airlia. She's not missing anything - that's exactly what Sister Airlia looks like.

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal