Author Topic: Facebook Superhero Game showing Ghost Widow art  (Read 7346 times)

Candie Firestar

• Underling
Facebook Superhero Game showing Ghost Widow art
« on: January 15, 2013, 03:40:02 AM »
I had to do a double-take when I saw this on Facebook tonight.  Is someone using CoX images without permission?

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
Re: Facebook Superhero Game showing Ghost Widow art
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 04:00:45 AM »
B&S has proven that NCsoft pimps. I'm sure they'd have no problem pimping the Widow.

ArachnosCommander

• Underling
  • www.ArachnosElite.com
    • www.ArachnosElite.com
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 05:15:15 AM »
A lot of the Facebook "game" companies steal the artwork from popular games in order to trick people into visiting their site or downloading their Apps. This happened with Aion last year and the App maker was served a cease and desist for using Aion images to sell a completely different game.

I've purchased ad space on Facebook, in the past, and there is nothing to keep you from uploading any image you want. There is no question asked if you are the owner of the images you are submitting.

Lucretia MacEvil

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 05:48:13 AM »
Does using this pic for a different game count as false advertising?

.... sorry, I tried to avoid this, but....
..............................................................my inner nit-picker demands that I inform you that that is, in fact, a picture of Sister Airlia, Ghost Widow's Cimeroran counterpart.

Candie Firestar

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 01:57:21 AM »
my inner nit-picker demands that I inform you that that is, in fact, a picture of Sister Airlia, Ghost Widow's Cimeroran counterpart.

I knew that, but I couldn't remember her name.  So I just typed that it was Ghost Widow.

Valjean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 01:59:41 AM »
That's too funny. I wonder if NCsoft will bother to do anything about it.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 02:48:44 AM »
They've never cared about CoH before, why should they suddenly start caring now?

Ceremonius

• Lieutenant
  • Here we are now! Entertain us! ~Nirvana
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 03:02:16 AM »
They've never cared about CoH before, why should they suddenly start caring now?
Cause they could make money out of it?
No Guts, No Glory! No Pain, No Gain!
One for all, all for one; Riders on the range!
No Guts, No Glory! We're taking a stand!
Ready to prove it again!
~Galaxy Rangers

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 05:40:36 AM »
Does using this pic for a different game count as false advertising?
Yes. And copyright infringement.
... unfortunately, it' still going to work on a lot of their customers victims. Look up "Evony" and despair, cause junk like that is positive evidence there are supervillains in the real world.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 06:08:27 AM »
Cause they could make money out of it?

Again, they've never cared about CoH before... :p

Ceremonius

• Lieutenant
  • Here we are now! Entertain us! ~Nirvana
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 02:01:48 PM »

Has really nothing to do with CoH. More of that someone uses something wich belongs to them. So they could start milking that cow. CoH is in this case just the major playball they won't care about, as long as it means they can sue someone cause he/she tries to milk their cow. Even if the cow is already dead. The meat can still be sold ;).
No Guts, No Glory! No Pain, No Gain!
One for all, all for one; Riders on the range!
No Guts, No Glory! We're taking a stand!
Ready to prove it again!
~Galaxy Rangers

Valjean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 02:28:46 PM »
I think if NCsoft doesn't go after IP violators, it just makes it easier for someone to snap up the IP later. For every IP violator they let go, it weakens their ownership legally.

Septipheran

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 02:46:15 PM »

Off topic but I sort of feel compelled to comment on this. NCSoft did care about COH quite a bit, the game was never neglected while the servers were up. If you want to see a publisher who truly doesn't care about their games, look at what PW is doing to Champions Online (or isn't doing.) NCSoft was a jerk in the end, but while COH was still alive they dedicated a fantastic amount of resources to it in my opinion.

pewlagon

• Boss
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 03:20:58 PM »
On this topic, same group is claiming City of Steam 2 is accepting beta applications. Funny, the First game isn't out of beat yet!

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 02:13:41 AM »
Is it just the angle or is that Sister Arilia with a BnT body?  Those melons look a bit more extreme than I am used to seeing on CoH?
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 02:15:06 AM »
Is it just the angle or is that Sister Arilia with a BnT body?  Those melons look a bit more extreme than I am used to seeing on CoH?

Or someone decided it needed more advertising power and gave her a 2-minute PS job.

Omega Force 1990

• Minion
  • Police Officer, National Guardsman
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2013, 02:17:25 AM »
Hard to tell with her arms crossed over her chest.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2013, 02:46:31 AM »
I think if NCsoft doesn't go after IP violators, it just makes it easier for someone to snap up the IP later. For every IP violator they let go, it weakens their ownership legally.
*BZZZT*
That's a negative. It weakens their ownership over the trademarks, the IP is always theirs.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 03:10:24 AM »

Those are her gloves.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2013, 03:36:49 AM »
That's a negative. It weakens their ownership over the trademarks, the IP is always theirs.

Apparently not, which is one of the reasons everyone is scared of 'bootlegging' CoH. They can't claim loss of money because they're not selling the product themselves. But if they don't frivolously pursue copyright infringers,  they supposedly risk losing their copyright. So in short, every business is forced to be a complete a-hole over "sharing", even if they don't want to be.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 03:48:47 AM »

looks the same way as it did in COX to me.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 04:37:58 AM »
Apparently not, which is one of the reasons everyone is scared of 'bootlegging' CoH. They can't claim loss of money because they're not selling the product themselves. But if they don't frivolously pursue copyright infringers,  they supposedly risk losing their copyright. So in short, every business is forced to be a complete a-hole over "sharing", even if they don't want to be.
You can't lose copyright except by letting it expire through time. It's trademarks that must be defended or lose its legality.

IP is copyrighted, not trademarked.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Copper Cockroach

• Boss
  • Phoenix Project: 2D Art Lead
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2013, 01:51:32 PM »
WotC gets away with this, somehow:

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2013, 03:03:55 PM »
WotC gets away with this, somehow:
You can't own the IDEA of a girl with white skin and dark eyes.  Period.

LadyWizard

• Minion
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2013, 03:42:08 PM »
unfortunatly I did click on that ad just so I could see what was going on... all it was was basically a page listing free MMOs with the big one being the facebook app Avengers Alliance(yes it's a marvel app put out by disney's latest acquistion in that genre)

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2013, 04:42:49 PM »

yeah I agree and even if the idea could be owned, it would not have been COX to own it.

That idea of a pale girl with dark eyes is ancient. I'm not even sure personally who created it but it existed before Ghost Widow and met a few people even in the early 90s and as far back as late 80s of real life people looking pale with dark eyes. That is about as far back as my memory go as far as seeing it in person. Seen pictures of people of that style that went as far back as the 60s, and given that, according to some of the real people that I talked to that modeled their appearance on that idea, based it off a style of European Victorian ages. After some research, the pale with dark eye look was mentioned a few times in the books about Victorian fashion although it seemed to be more of niche fashion in those times but pale and dark eyes have been described in European literature that dated as far about witches and vampires that sported that look that dated back to the late 1700s and very early pre-victorian 1800s.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2013, 07:04:04 PM »

Still, that, with the dark clothing, the black lips, the long, flowing white hair, the eyes without irises or pupils...

There does come a point at which the combination of factors adds to to, "It's infringing."  I hate to say it, but looking at the picture, if I were on a jury, I'd say, "Yeah, that's infringing."

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2013, 10:02:36 PM »
Still, that, with the dark clothing, the black lips, the long, flowing white hair, the eyes without irises or pupils...

There does come a point at which the combination of factors adds to to, "It's infringing."  I hate to say it, but looking at the picture, if I were on a jury, I'd say, "Yeah, that's infringing."
And I'd be on the jury saying "nope."
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2013, 10:33:43 PM »
The look is rather generic
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2013, 11:18:47 PM »
The look is rather generic
yep.

I wouldnt be surprised if a GW look alike that predated COX by years pop up.

Copper Cockroach

• Boss
  • Phoenix Project: 2D Art Lead
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2013, 12:13:01 AM »
I wouldnt be surprised if a GW look alike that predated COX by years pop up.

You mean like DC's Silver Banshee, dating back to the mid-80s?

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2013, 12:24:53 AM »
Temporal copyright infringement!?  It's a Nemesis plot I tell ya.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2013, 12:45:05 AM »
I was originally thinking that it was infringement because it might actually be a CoH screencap. Her breastplate would've given it away but its covered by her arms. Just realized she's missing the high-collar turtleneckish thingy though.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2013, 02:23:30 AM »
I was originally thinking that it was infringement because it might actually be a CoH screencap. Her breastplate would've given it away but its covered by her arms. Just realized she's missing the high-collar turtleneckish thingy though.
It is a screenshot. Of Sister Airlia. She's not missing anything - that's exactly what Sister Airlia looks like.

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal