Author Topic: Best MMO expansion of all time.  (Read 5076 times)

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
Best MMO expansion of all time.
« on: January 13, 2013, 04:26:07 PM »
Hey y'all, Massively is asking for our opinions on the best MMO expansion of all time, and CoH is not represented enough, IMO.

http://i.massively.joystiq.com/2013/01/13/the-daily-grind-what-was-the-best-mmo-expansion-of-all-time/

Go nuts. I said i9 and Going Rogue.

Quinch

Re: Best MMO expansion of all time.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 04:37:33 PM »
Chipped in.

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 07:20:46 PM »
I'm sorry for Going Rogue, but City of Villains was 10000x better than GR: full level range(1-40 at the time), and double the number of classes, including Masterminds.
Yeeessss....

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 07:36:51 PM »
I cannot tell a lie... In my personal experience, Star Wars Galaxies: Jump To Lightspeed was the greatest mmorpg expansion.
I'll not go on and on about how much I loved it. And I loved City Of Heroes and even if I said that CoH was a better game over all and loved it more than SWG, the expansions in CoH weren't as radical as adding full space flight, battles, travels, interior multi-player ships while flying and fighting and all that jazz.
No knock against any other game, but I can't think of any other expansion being quite so drastic.
Just my two cents!  :) Someone could point out things that would change my mind, but I can't think of anything at the moment (other than the idea that SWG should have launched with space, but I don't know that that really changes the reality of it, hehe).
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 08:24:59 PM »
I'm sorry for Going Rogue, but City of Villains was 10000x better than GR: full level range(1-40 at the time), and double the number of classes, including Masterminds.

I'm sure it was, but I didn't start playing till good vs evil, so for me it wasn't an expansion, it was just the game.  ;D

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 10:13:39 PM »
I'm sure it was, but I didn't start playing till good vs evil, so for me it wasn't an expansion, it was just the game.  ;D
You can still imagine how it was before then :-) I too came as City of Villains as released, so it was like the base game for me. But I can still tell that 3 is 1 plus 2.

And I add the "newspaper mishes" to the list of really cool concept CoV brought.
Yeeessss....

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 11:31:28 PM »
Didn't GR kinda slaughter the Villain community? Redside seemed to rapidly dwindle after that.

Feycat

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 11:44:04 PM »
Didn't GR kinda slaughter the Villain community? Redside seemed to rapidly dwindle after that.

Well yeah, those of us who only had redside toons because we couldn't play those ATs blueside were finally able to ship our characters away from the dank depression of the Rogue Isles.

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 01:33:48 AM »
Indeed.  It would have been somewhat beneficial, you ask me, to not require Vig or Rogue status to go to the other side, as long as MISSION required it... problem is getting there without getting pummeled as 'the other side'.

/I found staying villainous with Cerise Dawn quite challenging, due to the low Villain pops... took forever to get her to 50.  Tempted to go Rogue just to get there, but she's truly evil, and I couldn't do it. Heh.  I'm not an RPer but I play one.. or something like that.  :)

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 04:12:24 AM »
I'm not an RPer but I play one.. or something like that.  :)
ROFLMAO!!!!!! 

Feycat's comment reminds me of an sgmate who loved the Rogue Isles.  He used to imagine what it would have been like growing up there.  But then I RP a lot also in my mind (or did).  :P
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 03:08:21 PM »
Oh, I totally screwed that up...

I meant 'beneficial' in terms of exploring and doing missions, as villains, in the Hero zones.  And therefore travelling to the zones, visiting to get to the missions, maybe even get to street sweep a little.  Not teaming up with those goody two shoes heros, nor their morally challeneged cousins, the vigilantes.  Rogues, yeah, maybe... but they better watch it.

/But again, probably pummelations would be experienced/doled out, and that's just annoying enough in the PvP zones.
//Ok, I feel better now. Heh.

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 06:13:45 PM »
City of Villains was a great expansion with a ton of content and Going Rogue was also pretty good, but personally the expansion I spent the most time with was WoW's "Wrath of the Lich King" expansion.

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 06:35:07 PM »
If I was going to chime in objectively, I'd say EverQuest II: Echoes of Faydwer.

EQ faced too many issues, mainly the complete alien feel from it's namesake. The game took place in a very distant future that inherited next to nothing from the original series. The two familiarly named cities in the game were drastically different.

Echoes of Faydwer changed that, sending you into a rediscovery of the classic world EQ players loved. This triggered a nostalgia effect that finally made EQ2 feel like EQ.

Not only was it a great expansion, it really changed the game direction and feel, fixing huge issues.

As far as CoH, I feel both expansions to this game made a very similar error: community splitting barriers. I can't really call any CoH expansion as a great one due to this, it was big enough of an issue to actually set them in a list of "biggest mistakes done with an MMO expansion", up there with "Star Wars Galaxies: Jump to Lightspeed (eternal grind with no content)" and "Dark Age of Camelot: Trials of Atlantis" (forcing a PvE Raiding advancement experience into a mainly Realm vs Realm PvP game community.)
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

I'm signing off and taking a break, blindly hope things change.

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 07:54:32 PM »
...in a list of "biggest mistakes done with an MMO expansion", up there with "Star Wars Galaxies: Jump to Lightspeed (eternal grind with no content)" and "Dark Age of Camelot: Trials of Atlantis" (forcing a PvE Raiding advancement experience into a mainly Realm vs Realm PvP game community.)
Haha, it's always amazing what different opinions can come from the same thing.
I'm not laughing at you for your opinion though. You didn't like it and that's completely fine. You say "no content" and I say that the content was the enjoyment of playing it. If you don't enjoy something, working up it is going to be a grind though, no matter how much other poeple may love every second of it.
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 08:06:20 PM »
Haha, it's always amazing what different opinions can come from the same thing.
I'm not laughing at you for your opinion though. You didn't like it and that's completely fine. You say "no content" and I say that the content was the enjoyment of playing it. If you don't enjoy something, working up it is going to be a grind though, no matter how much other poeple may love every second of it.

I looked forward a lot to that expansion, the time I played it turned out to be an eternal grind of kill-count quests (huge disappointment especially when compared to the great sandbox game that was the core SWG experience.) "go, destroy 3 tie fighters, return...

If there was anything cool (like a fly by assault to the Death Star or some imperial destroyer,) I got sick of the system too quickly to ever reach it.

Then again, ground quests were not too different (at least not  until the Theme Parks got added... and that was the silliest name I ever heard for "Story Arc" or "Quest Line")
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 08:15:00 PM »
I looked forward a lot to that expansion, the time I played it turned out to be an eternal grind of kill-count quests (huge disappointment especially when compared to the great sandbox game that was the core SWG experience.) "go, destroy 3 tie fighters, return...

If there was anything cool (like a fly by assault to the Death Star or some imperial destroyer,) I got sick of the system too quickly to ever reach it.

Then again, ground quests were not too different (at least not  until the Theme Parks got added... and that was the silliest name I ever heard for "Story Arc" or "Quest Line")
Yeah, I just loved the actual playing of it, so it never felt tat way to me (same for the ground combat). I do understand where you're coming from though.
As for special space stuff, besides the rather difficult task of taking down the big Corellian Corvette spaceship to earn your final Master Pilot skill box, there was the Star Destroyer that was pretty fun to sweep by and blast at (and extremely dangerous), but indeed it was for after you'd advanced through it all.

However, the one thing you may have gotten enjoyment out of is the multi-player ships. I used to take my friends up in my big ship and they would take posts as my co-pilot (they'd execute the special maneuvers - forward/aft shields, healing shields, different system buffs and such) and the other two would man the gunning stations. Doing it that way, they all earned pilot xp and skills (just the same as if they'd been flying solo - maybe faster) and we actually got a few of them their masters by doing the mastering mission together in my ship.

Not that I'm trying to sell you on anything, I just thought it was worth mentioning.

Besides all of that, because I really did enjoy the space combat, I just loved decorating and role-playing within my own personalized ship. :)

If you were a crafter, the new shipbuilding profession was rather involved and fun (for some).

(gah... I miss my ships!)  :roll:
--
- Baron Munchausen

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 12:14:18 AM »

A complete lack of love to redside after the year or so redside got 100% of the dev's attentions when CoV was released killed redside, and the fact that everything was more difficult to do there.

What did redside get added to it, really? Like I think they got an 'updated' Mercy island. And Dr. Grave's ugh, super horrible mission arc where you were the Buttmonkey. After that it was 2007 content as far as the eye can see.

In Heroes, you felt like a hero. Because heroes winning = status quo. In villains you felt like either a fool or a patsy or at best a rogue. The only times you really succeeded at much of anything without it being ripped right back away from you, was small time temporary things like robbing a bank. Because villains winning = break from the status quo.

Sure, there was potential 'on the horizon' for good things to happen for Villains. Once they were able to actively remove NPCs from the game in a dynamic way, it might had been possible for you to actually kill somebody.

But honestly I felt a lot more 'evil' and coherent during Loyalist game play. You were efficient and things got done, even if there were set backs, up until you had to leave. Then you get to the Rogue Isles and become a giant joke.

Everything late game came out grey. All the incarnate stuff seemed to not really care if you were good or evil or rogue or vigilante.

silvers1

• Boss
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 10:54:04 PM »
My personal favorite, back when i played DAOC, was the Shrouded Isles expansion. 
Tons of new classes,  zones, and dungeons.

This was soon after followed by the worst expansion of all time - Trials of Atlantis.  I quit soon after.
--- Hercules - Freedom Server ---

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 12:46:00 AM »
This was soon after followed by the worst expansion of all time - Trials of Atlantis.  I quit soon after.

I have heard plenty of this, mainly about the end game raiding on a PvP game... but can you expand on what exactly was so bad about Trials of Atlantis?

LT. Couper

• Boss
  • The battle won't end until it's won!
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 04:58:31 AM »
Heh, on the massively site, i was checking the comments, and I saw one that made me smirk. The poster wrote about how WoW has 12-13 mil players so yeah, it has to have some representation. I thought it was funny because in the previous vote, WoW was pretty low in the "Best Community" and "Most Classic" categories. Granted that there were many more categories (none of which I actually looked at) so it may have been else where. But still it amused me.  ;D
"Heroes may die, but heroism never shall." ~Cyrus "Breakneck" Thompson