Author Topic: What would you do if...?  (Read 9380 times)

Blue Pulsar

• Boss
  • Epic Mediocrity
What would you do if...?
« on: January 13, 2013, 12:17:36 AM »
I know it's just a hypothetical, but I've wondered about this. It's not completely impossible, but... yeah, it pretty much is. However, I'm curious as to what many of you would do in this situation. Let's say you wake up one morning and the buzz here on the forums is a short and sweet bit of news directly from NCSoft that goes something like this.

"Today, NCSoft announces that the ever-popular game, City of Heroes, and it's companion game, City of Villains, will again be online. We at NCSoft have heard the outcry of the fans and we have thought longer and harder about their concerns. We have decided that it is in the best interest of the community, and for everyone here at NCSoft, to pull together once again and reactivate the game. We will be doing our best to retain all previous members of the development team and bring the game and all of your characters back to their former glory with just as much emphasis, if not more, on new and continuing content. We have been working on this for a short while now and you can expect to have testing up within a few short months and the full live servers soon after. See you in the skies of Paragon. -NCSoft."

I'm just curious as to what people's takes are on this. I know many of you hold more than a bit of rancor for the company, but would something like this change your view on them? Would it make you give up on the game entirely? Would you just go back and play while still hating the company? Would you hail their name as the best gaming company ever?

Me? I would go back and play but I think I'd still look at them as I do now.  A company with their wallets in mind. If they made such a decision, it would be either to try to make more money on it, or to try to repair any bad image they have acquired for closing the game or anything else they have done in recent times.

Edit: Spelling
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 05:28:23 AM by Blue Pulsar »
Blue Pulsar - 50 nrg/kin def - first toon - Liberty
Bane of Lanur - 52 nec/dark MM - Main vill - Liberty
Destan H. - 53 SS/FA brute - Farm/PvP hybrid - Freedom
Destan's Fury - 53 StJ/Regen brute - PvPer - Freedom
Destan's Shadow Gang - 53 Thug/Dark MM - PvPer - Freedom

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
Re: What would you do if...?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 12:45:18 AM »
I would look furiously for a tall floating bald guy known as Uatu.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watcher_(comics)
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 01:03:18 AM »
I would be happy that the community have a home again, and would be happy for those that this game meant a lot to.

Me, I have nothing against NCSoft, yet still thing the decision was a bit not very bright, but I'd stay in CO. Dont get me wrong, COH is (was) a great game but CO fits me like a glove and that is where I belong now. But even still, COH is like an old  neighborhood I grew up in and didnt want to see get razed thus I will go back and see everyone one last time before going home.

Quinch

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 02:31:06 AM »
Skepticism.

I'd jump back into the game the moment the servers reopened, naturally, but I'd try to find out - and encourage others - to dig and find out why they did it. It wouldn't be impossible that NCsoft had a change of heart - hell, that's what we're trying to make happen, though we're only left with he stick so far.

So, it depends. It was genuinely a conciliatory measure, then maybe that trust would gradually regrow. If not... well, then the fact that they'd close it down again would be a foregone conclusion, and I'd expect players to organize contingency measures for when that happens.

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 03:19:47 AM »
What Quinch said.  Sums it up well.

/edit, after a long long hiatus on this... I can't believe I got Quinch's name wrong.  It's right now.
//Slaps my face several times for punishment... my sorry, Quinch. My extreme bad sorriness towards you, humbly.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 06:02:30 AM by houtex »

Lucretia MacEvil

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 04:42:14 PM »
After I was done celebrating (which would take at least a week), I think I'd be willing to give NCsoft a chance to re-earn my trust.  I'd definitely be keeping a more critical eye on them, but if they realized that they made a mistake and tried to fix it, that's a step in the right direction.  I'd just be keeping a lookout to see if they made any more steps in said direction.  If not... well, at least the game would be back, for a while at least.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 04:51:28 PM »
I've pondered this question a lot and I really don't know. If Paragon was still gone, I'd be less inclined to play. I also feel like it would only be a matter of time before they shut it down again. I may play f2p, but I'm kinda to the point where I don't want to play anything NCSoft. I probably wouldn't touch it with a ten foot poll. I miss my babies and my friends, though, so I'm just not sure ultimately what I would do. For now I'm very happy over at Cryptic and will likely be making Neverwinter my new home when it comes out, and would probably stay there if CoH was resurrected by NCSoft. If it was sold, I would probably split my time and money between the games.

Omega Mark V

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 07:11:58 PM »
Unless Paragon would run it, I probably wouldn't touch it. It most likely wouldn't be the same product after a while.

NCSoft basically lost my trust, and I'm still boycotting them as of yet by ignoring GW2, even though I'd like to try it again.
- Omega Mk. V

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 07:51:24 PM »
I don't think it would ever happen (I know you think the same, but I just had to say it anyway, haha), but...

I imagine that I'd have to play. I think, however, that I'd be a large part in a community movement to get NCSoft to sell the game and IP (hopefully to the Paragon Studios people they hopefully would have been able to round up).

I'd hope that, maybe, if there was a good showing and promise of a better future, we could have the game in the right hands.

Anyway... If that all happened... I'd also likely take my harem of never-aging Michelle Pfieffer, Ashely Judd, Dian Lane, Natasha Henstridge, my current wife and several other wonderful women... fly in my hovering house to the Angel Falls for a picnic before touring around the rings of Saturn for Valentine's Day.
What.
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

Dollhouse

• Boss
  • "What will happen? Will I dream?"
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 08:06:30 PM »
I'd play. In fact, I'd sub. I'd be more than a little distrustful, and CoH likely wouldn't be my main game any more...but I'd play. My irritation with NCSoft is not such that it would prevent me from listening to what would essentially be them saying "hey, we f*cked up...we're going to try to make it right."

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 12:26:53 AM »
NCSoft would have to grovel to the player base, to Paragon Studios, and would have to put in major concessions before I would trust them again.  Starting with attempting to reassemble the old team and giving them autonomy and a buyout provision in their contract.

Since pigs will fly first...
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 12:38:17 AM »
NCSoft would have to grovel to the player base, to Paragon Studios, and would have to put in major concessions before I would trust them again.  Starting with attempting to reassemble the old team and giving them autonomy and a buyout provision in their contract.

Since pigs will fly first...

Where'd I put that porcine trebuchet...
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

AlphaFerret

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 01:02:23 AM »
I would re-sub the moment the news went live.  I was a loyal customer before the cancellation, and I could be reeled in again.  Back when I enjoyed NCSoft, I tried several of their other titles solely because of my love of Coh.  I am one of those who pre-ordered GW2.  However, since the shutdown, Aion and Lineage have been uninstalled, and GW2 sits on a lonely shelf.  Maybe they will figure out that brand loyalty has to be earned and not relied upon.

Nilbog

• Minion
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 01:21:27 AM »
I would play and maybe enjoy it more because I know It will eventually vanish again.

It could be a profitable opportunity for them to go that route. It would be quite a media story to have the doors open once again. Get the publicity they never cared to invest in and possibly earn more new costumers.

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 02:10:12 AM »
I would play the game again, but I'd be very wary about putting any money into the game, given NCS's definition of "forever" as their F2P ads were bragging about.  I still think it was a very shady trick combining the money raised by the various games' cash shops into a lump sum, and then trying to use that as part of their tactic to persude people that CoH wasn't making NCS any money.

But then, I haven't put any money into any MMO since the announcement of CoH's sunset.  I know it can never be measured, but imagine the effects on all the other MMO providers' income since then.

antarcticaa

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 03:34:24 AM »
I'd play.  In a heartbeat.  Even if we never got any more new content.  The game was a joy and the online community a delight.  Yah, I'd be wary as hell of NCSoft and wanting the protect the devs from further harm, but this was the home of one of our "other lives" and I'd go home in a skinny minute. 

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 04:04:15 AM »
I would definitely play again and subscribe if NCSoft did that, but I'd also feel concern and worry that they'd pull the plug again.  I also don't expect them to have a change of heart or "realign" their corporate goals and priorities again.  Stupid, NCSoft pancake-heads!!!!!  Grrrrr!!!

As to pigs flying, well that happens all the time, assuming one is willing to think of "pigskins" as pigs!!   (U.S. Football reference for UK, et al)
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

fscotth

• Underling
  • Paragon City Forever
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 05:34:32 AM »
I want my CoH back, so even though I hate to admit it, I'd accept it back even without Paragon Studios or further development of the game.  Likely that statement is sacrilege to many of you who consider yourselves more loyal to Paragon Studios than to the game itself, but after nearly 45 days after having the game access pried away from me (and after 7 years of subscribing with 3 accounts), I'd rather deal with NCSoft than with a login screen that doesn't go anywhere.  Please understand I'm at the point where Google has started to return 'really, dude?' as the result when I type in 'City of Heroes' in my search for the ten billionth time as I keep hoping for some/any kind of positive news.

I loved and respected all the work of the developers from the first moment I entered Paragon City, and yes, the promise of upcoming content (Battalion!; Moonbase!) was exciting.  But for me, the most important aspects were the world that had been created and the toons I added to it and nurtured over the years.  If it were up to me, I'd have kept the developers working and creating new content for many years to come, but barring having the expected return on their investment they expected (whatever the blue hell that was), I would have understood a decision by NCSoft to cease new development.  What I've never understood since August 31st though, is why close the game when you could continue to offer it with minimal staff/cost to cover maintenance?  Or even just subcontract it out.  Bottom line is: you're still making money with little further investment.  Some would say, 'yeah, but that decision kills the game and runs off the community', well, maybe so, but I'd rather have it killed slowly over the next 5 years than having it shot execution-style last November 30th.

Certainly, logic dictates that the age of the game would eventually make it difficult for CoH to compete with the latest, greatest games, especially knowing that the idea of developing CoH2 had just recently been turned down by NCSoft.  However, for me, CoH doesn't have any competition.  Some people just want a game to play.  Any game.  Preferably, the latest, greatest whatever with the shiniest, bestest graphics and gameplay ever.  Despite the hatred for NCSoft post 08/31, I know many folks went off to GW2, back to WoW, to try Secret World, or even STO.  Manga.  Fantasy.  Reality.  Science fiction.  It's all good.  Some people love the Superhero themed MMO.  So they checked out DCUO and CO.  For me, Paragon City is home.  I know that's a stubborn (some would say silly) attitude, but that's fine.  I'll vote with my cash -- you vote with yours.

So, unlike many CoH vets who downloaded other games on December 1st, I've patiently sat and waited for a miracle that will bring me back home (while wearing out Google along the way).  I'd subscribe to the end of 2022 if NCSoft would restore CoH.  If  they do, they can have my $15/mo x 3 accounts x 10 years = $5400.  Otherwise, I'm sure I'll find other things that will pique my interest when I'm not working....but CoH can never be replaced.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 06:05:09 AM by fscotth »
Captain Kyle Arvida of the Iron Alliance on Protector

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 06:21:22 AM »
Certainly, logic dictates that the age of the game would eventually make it difficult for CoH to compete with the latest, greatest games, especially knowing that the idea of developing CoH2 had just recently been turned down by NCSoft.  However, for me, CoH doesn't have any competition. 

So, unlike many CoH vets who downloaded other games on December 1st, I've patiently sat and waited for a miracle that will bring me back home (while wearing out Google along the way).  I'd subscribe to the end of 2022 if NCSoft would restore CoH.  If  they do, they can have my $15/mo x 3 accounts x 10 years = $5400.  Otherwise, I'm sure I'll find other things that will pique my interest when I'm not working....but CoH can never be replaced.

Hmm do I detect sarcasm in poking fun at the newer games here?

I've always considered the length of time CoH was out was actually a bonus, not a detriment.  (But trying to convince kids who think last year's shiney is a dull piece of trash is nearly impossible.)

Considering how many people are constantly screaming for content, CoH had it in spades, quite a bit of Developer-created content, and a very large amount created by users.  (Sure most of the user stuff was farming crud, but even 10% of the user-created content outmassed the official game content by a huge amount.)  As far as graphics textures go, some of the later releases are slicker, but I still hear people complaining about em on Champs Online all the time. 

"Latest, greatest games"?  Don't make me laugh.. I haven't seen anything in the last 9 years that even compares with CoH. It was the greatest MMO game out there as far as I'm concerned.  I do wholeheartedly agree with you that CoH had no competition, and given the niche market, probably never will.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 02:08:31 PM »
I would look furiously for a tall floating bald guy known as Uatu.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watcher_(comics)
When we discovered that he was played by Sir Patrick Stewart, who is also now the new majority shareholder and acting CEO of NCSoft, I think we'd probably start playing again. After all, clearly some sort of radioactive awesome bug has bitten the universe to create such a change.