Author Topic: Oscar Nominations  (Read 2746 times)

Mental Maden

• Boss
Oscar Nominations
« on: January 10, 2013, 02:49:24 PM »

pewlagon

• Boss
Re: Oscar Nominations
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 03:16:19 PM »
Les Mis or Lincoln will clean up this year. Both Excellent films.

Here's what would be amazing. I happened to watch War Witch with a friend and it is truly an amazing film. It stands a good chance of winning Best Foreign Film. It is NOT a supernatural thriller or heroic genre film, but if it should win (and it should) the symbolism would be amazing.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 04:07:09 PM »
I think Silver Linings Playbook will do well.  It's "indy" enough to pull the "artist" vote.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 04:47:58 PM »
I can't offer much analysis this year.  I typically try to catch most of the Oscar potential movies before the awards but this year (for several reason) I'm  behind.  I did see Argo and really enjoyed it.  Affleck is turning into an important director.

I've heard nothing but good things about Silver Linings and want to try and catch it soon.  Our arthouse theater has big comfy leather recliners and they serve wine and beer.  I'll probably try and hit up Lincoln and/or Django Unchained one afternoon.  Given my utter hatred for musicals I'll just take other people words about Le Mis.  No big surprises in the acting categories, this was kind of a weak year for female roles though compared to the last few years.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 06:09:58 PM by Mental Maden »

Clave Dark 5

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 05:56:09 PM »
The only two animated films tapped I saw were Wreck-It Ralph and ParaNorman - both are pretty good for a number of reasons, but I bet Ralph wins it (unless the others were better???).  I've heard Brave was just 'good' (odd for a Pixar film, right?) and Frankenweenie was just 'ok'.

The only other ones I've seen on the lists are Pi and Beasts - Pi was nice in 3D but still seems to falter somehow, like it was too busy being pretty to sell any sort of message it may or may not have had.  Beasts was pretty good (just saw it last weekend), but my GF hated it, describing it as a downer sort of movie Oprah would probably love.

Make of that what you will.  :)
"What you say is rather profound, and probably erroneous." - Joseph Conrad

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 06:15:25 PM »
I agree, Brave was just okay while Wreck-it-Ralph was very good.  And I'm talking story and acting.  Pixar was their usual overboard selves technically when it came to archery and how a arrow flies off a bow.  Maybe it didn't resonate with me because Brave was more of a mother/daughter movie than one targeted to the general public.

Frankenweenie was quirky.  I liked how they included a lot of classic Universal horror actor/actresses/bits as the other kids in school and the science teacher speech in front of the parents was hilarious.  Don't know if I would have been happier with a less happier ending.

Didn't see ParaNorman, didn't see Pirates.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Clave Dark 5

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 06:23:57 PM »
Turns out after posting I hadn't seen Frankeweenie that my GF brought it over, it had come up on our NetFlix cue this past weekend.  Yeah, ParaNorman was better and Wreck-It Ralph has nothing to fear from it.  I didn't dislike it, but I didn't find enough in it to really like it either, it was just "ok"; certainly no Nightmare Before Christmas.
"What you say is rather profound, and probably erroneous." - Joseph Conrad

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 03:49:24 PM »
While I still haven't seen enough of the nominated movies, I was very happy to see Argo and Affleck win last night.  He's shaping up to be a very strong director and we'll hopefully see more great things from him in the future.