Author Topic: I miss COH's simple enhancement system  (Read 5549 times)

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
I miss COH's simple enhancement system
« on: January 10, 2013, 12:44:54 PM »
While I do enjoy both CO And DC Online, I really miss the simple enhancement system we had in COH. Sure, you could trick out your gear with IOs, but if you wanted to ignore all that you could ...

:(

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Re: I miss COH's simple enhancement system
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 01:53:38 PM »
I find equipping six items to be simpler than equipping 40+ items.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 02:38:17 PM »
I find equipping six items to be simpler than equipping 40+ items.
yeah

Mysterious J

• Minion
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 03:15:42 PM »
I found CoX's enhancement system to be anything but simple.  For one thing, it wasn't 6 items, it was up to six items per power, with what items a power could equip varying by power, and how much of a bonus the item gave varying by a) what aspect it enhanced, b) what type of item it was (training, DO, SO, Hammi-O), c) how many of them you equipped (ED diminishing returns), and d) level of the item relative to your current level.  And that's not counting IOs and Incarnate junk!

What made CoX seem simple was that for most PvE content, you could get by without any enhancement at all.  It might be slightly painful, but you could complete most missions with all your enhancements red or empty if you had to... and on a team you might not even notice immediately when your enhancements went red during a mission.  If the game was less forgiving and you had to have nearly optimum enhancement in order to survive and defeat foes, the complexity of the trade-offs would have been much more apparent.

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 03:34:24 PM »
Agree on the simplicity thing. Sometimes I think after ED, instead of coming up with the IO system, they should have simply created a series of global slots for a more simplified category list of IOs to fit in.

Always also found annoying that, relatively speaking, acquiring most powers (few worked great out of the box) meant you still had to wait another 2 or 3 levels to slot it so it was considered "efficient")

I miss CoH, but there are so many things that could have been a bit simpler and, well, better.
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

I'm signing off and taking a break, blindly hope things change.

WolfSoul

• Lieutenant
    • Writing portfolio
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 03:56:36 PM »
While I do enjoy both CO And DC Online, I really miss the simple enhancement system we had in COH. Sure, you could trick out your gear with IOs, but if you wanted to ignore all that you could ...

:(

I totally agree. While I did find it confusing at first, once I got it I had no problems . But this head, chest right foot, left foot, back front, this is acc, this is dmg, this is ungodly might or whatever, just too much.  And it takes time away from enjoying the STORY.  That is the most important part of the game to me.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 04:11:04 PM »
I totally agree. While I did find it confusing at first, once I got it I had no problems . But this head, chest right foot, left foot, back front, this is acc, this is dmg, this is ungodly might or whatever, just too much.  And it takes time away from enjoying the STORY.  That is the most important part of the game to me.

IOs brought complexity and some people LOVE complexity.  The more complex a system is, the greater the likelihood that some part of it could be taken advantage of (exploited has the wrong connotation here).
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Mazz vs The World

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 05:33:14 PM »
I understand what the OP means by simple. Cause you could just IO your toon out with normal IO's and it would be amazing in pve without set bonuses. I mean don't get me wrong with set bonuses you are even more powerful try 20x's more give or take, but you don't have to do this if you didn't want to. I still played with toons who only had SO's in pve and it was fun and simple. I think that was what the OP was trying to say because of course if you want to make anything complex, you can, if you put your mind to it!

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 10:10:09 PM »
On the one hand, yeah, you can slot just a few pieces in games like CO and DC Online-- on the other, what you slot can have a much bigger effect in your whole performance. This gear will increase your damage but may reduce your health or your healing powers ...

That's what I miss. The ability to max one effect without having to worry about negatively affect something else.

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 10:15:29 PM »
On the one hand, yeah, you can slot just a few pieces in games like CO and DC Online-- on the other, what you slot can have a much bigger effect in your whole performance. This gear will increase your damage but may reduce your health or your healing powers ...

That's what I miss. The ability to max one effect without having to worry about negatively affect something else.

But what you miss there is that neither those games have archetypes. We did have the negatives, they simply were built into the ATs.
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

I'm signing off and taking a break, blindly hope things change.

Novapulse

• Underling
    • Novapulse @ Virtueverse
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 10:31:41 PM »
IOs may have been somewhat complex, but at least they were quick.

Craft an IO, poof it's done and it was good for at least 5 levels if not indefinitely.

I'm playing SWTOR right now and every 2 levels I spend hours upon hours jumping from alt to alt crafting new junk, and every level the junk takes longer to craft. It's upwards of 15-20 minutes per piece now.

I miss where the time-sinks were actually playing the game.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 01:10:23 AM »
Good players with basic enhancements >>> Maxed out builds controlled by bad players

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 05:10:34 AM »

In Champions, my experience is that as long as you're built moderately well and equipping items remotely appropriate to your level (I think my level 40 might still have an item or two that's 10 levels or so beneath him) that each enhances at least one of your primary/secondary super stats (easy to tell because the stat bonus will be blazing yellow) you can do just fine in the bulk of the game.  Just like in CoH with IOs and such, you can get really nitpicky about the bonuses and even dig into crafting specific enhancements for slottable gear if you really want to min/max but it isn't truly necessary.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 06:46:48 AM »
Good players with basic enhancements >>> Maxed out builds controlled by bad players

Yes, but then there's Good Players WITH Maxed out builds... and those are a sight to behold.  Truly.  That's where I was hoping to get to with Thing of Bigness.

/Then again, I'd have to get to where I was a Good Player, I guess. :p
//Oh, who'm I kidding, with him, I was easily a sight to behold, yeah? :D

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 10:07:58 AM »
IOs brought complexity and some people LOVE complexity.  The more complex a system is, the greater the likelihood that some part of it could be taken advantage of (exploited has the wrong connotation here).
I was one of them. I enjoyed making builds for my characters and slotting the IO's that went into those builds.
One of the things I'm currently also enjoying in TSW, although through a vastly different system.

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 10:14:32 AM »
IOs may have been somewhat complex, but at least they were quick.

Craft an IO, poof it's done and it was good for at least 5 levels if not indefinitely.

I'm playing SWTOR right now and every 2 levels I spend hours upon hours jumping from alt to alt crafting new junk, and every level the junk takes longer to craft. It's upwards of 15-20 minutes per piece now.

I miss where the time-sinks were actually playing the game.
I did that for a while when playing SWTOR too, and honestly, skip a few levels here and there and use what you find - sure, you won't have GREAT gear, but you'll still have good items, especially if you're willing to do a Flashpoint here and there.
It becomes even less of an issue once you've gotten several companions to max affection and they start to accumulate massive Presence bonuses - currently at the lower level ranges my companions are vastly more powerful than my characters because of my Legacy's ridiculous Presence (got the bonus for having a lvl 50 Human, and the presence bonuses of all BH, IA and SW companions - with a few from my Shadow added to the mix).
Gah, kinda makes me want to pick up where I left off... and get that HK-51... >.>

Dollhouse

• Boss
  • "What will happen? Will I dream?"
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 02:48:39 PM »
I sure don't miss all those damned currencies. Except now I mostly play TSW...which has even more currencies.

/headdesk

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 08:14:52 PM »
Yes, but then there's Good Players WITH Maxed out builds... and those are a sight to behold.  Truly.  That's where I was hoping to get to with Thing of Bigness.

/Then again, I'd have to get to where I was a Good Player, I guess. :p
//Oh, who'm I kidding, with him, I was easily a sight to behold, yeah? :D

Those teams do exist, but they mess with your brain. Once you run on those you will never want to PUG again.
Been on teams that speeded synapse in the 38 min range and other TFs at such insane speeds. Bring a fast PC with an SSD or the mission complete would pop up before you finish loading.  :o