Author Topic: City of Heros Miniatures game/ rules set  (Read 2835 times)

Grot 6

• Underling
City of Heros Miniatures game/ rules set
« on: January 09, 2013, 07:28:47 AM »
Hello.

Seeing as they crapped all over the IP, what do we have to do to get in touch with Eden to get that lost RPG book up and running with a twist to include a tabletop miniatures game?

I'ver been mulling over how to go about putting together a tabletop skirmish game with COH as the setting, and each and every adversary as a mini.

As of now, I'm working in another country with a lot of other stuff going on, but I could easily see using Reapers snakes/ reptus figures for Mercy. Based on that, there are several different game systems out there that have FTP rules sets, or even to the point of developing my own.

As of now, this is project is in the musing stage, but I have a basic load of stuff to work with. Figures for civilians, heros, some adversaries.

BASE information on the COH Pen and Paper RPG. Dynamics from a few tabletop RPG's, such as Superfigs, and Pulp City, and there is a whole heck of alot of stuff to come across with making this happen.

This, being a collective of all things COH seemed to me to be the place to pitch this.

I don't see it as much of a money making project, but I'm throwing the idea out here so we can maybe start putting something to post and maybe making something happen.

There are free and make your own streets, buildings out there in numerous areas to get, and then you get the option of bringing it to the table here.

I submit this idea to the Titan Network, so we might draw a little more attention, and keep the game alive, not only in our hearts, but with some efforts, in our hands.

I think the situation with NC Soft sucked because of the underhanded way in which they still sit on the high horse holier then thau and not doing anything to continue with the IP.

I want it, and in the future, maybe we can get a few together and rip it out of thier cold dead fingers and make it happen.

Until then, there are miniatures, there is scenery, and there is the collective memory that we can draw on to get this simple game up and breath a little life into it.

I just saw a KS project make over 2 million bucks. With the proper amount of leverage, something could happen to at least get some momentum for ourselves. We might not make any money, but we might make a few waves on it.

As of now, I propose game groups come up with an area to call thier own and start putting script to paper and developing thier prospective area. Mercy Island. Paragon City. Oro, pretty much you figure out a place to work out of, and start putting your map together. The Map, in corrisponding fasion has pictures that you could start aligning, and your heros have plenty of miniatures out there to choose from.

Mini rules- I am in the middle of using Superfigs rules, along with some of the things from Pulp city that work- such as Hero Cards, with your heros powers/ abilities in there.
Enhancements could be poker chips, glass tokens, a few tokens from your favorite game store, or even marbles.
Attrubutes go based on your base info from the game, and you "Roll off" using Edens unisystem. ( Of course there are plenty of holes in this idea, and in that I hope you can throw in some more ...

Boards can be in squares of 1X1, 2X2, 3X3... all the way up to using a 4X8 piece of plywood to build your little part of the city on.

I have very fond memories of this game. That it went out like this sort of punk way upset me, especially in light that I had no ability to do anything about it.

This is my way of getting a foot in someones face and hope to keep the COH spirit alive... on the tabletop.

Tabletop games, take the lead on this idea and throw in your two cents.
P and P players, please contact Eden Studios and see if we can wrestle that material up and get the balls rolling on work already done for source material.
MMO players, go get yourself a miniature of your favorite hero, or cobble together your favorite hero in any way you can.

Hey, your looking at around 5-10 bucks for 1 hero, maybe 20 or so for a mass of baddies, ( Snakes, Army guys, Heros, Zombies, Wolfmen, etc.etc.etc.)
add in the paints, that go for 1.00-as much as you want... paint brushes....

Styrofoam, balsa wood, copy templates, etc.etc.etc...

First step is to put a board together, and get your heros/ villians up and running- the rest is up to you.

I hope you all have as fun with this idea as I do.....

Have fun heros/ villians.  It's what we do.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
Re: City of Heros Miniatures game/ rules set
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 10:24:10 PM »
Understand that tie-in licenses are usually limited in scope and in time.
Last we heard - back in 2008 - was that the IP changing ownership from Cryptic to NCSoft has thrown up some complications on the legal side.
If the RPG did not get published until now, chances are it's not happening. At least not as a City of Heroes product.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Grot 6

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 01:52:13 AM »
Since now it is suppoed to be a "dead title", I would like to know how to go about getting more source material.

I'm thinking start off at the beginning.

So far, the bare bones structure of the tutorial "Outbreak Scenario" is thus-

I'm using the base material from the now defunct RPG, and combining it with the map, to structure a tabletop game board.

Base RPG quickplay- here-

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/2979/City-of-Heroes-RPG-Quickplay-Pack?it=1

Table board, the city- here-

http://www.matakishi.com/makingcitybuildings.htm

Supersystem, Hero clix, or Pulp City rules- here-

http://www.westwindproductions.co.uk/catalog/pdfs/quick.pdf

http://www.wargamedownloads.com/item.php?item=822

http://wizkidsgames.com/images/heroclix-classics/BW_Rules_PosterPDF.pdf

http://pulp-city.com/?s=pulp+city+rules

Heros/ villians are pretty much any minis you want.

Superfigs.

Pulp City.

Reaper.

EM4.

GW.

D and D.

Etc.etc.etc.etc.....

Along with the tabletop, if you were so inclined, there are a number of different rules sets to use for your RPG experiences.

Four Color
Marvel
DC
Villains and Vigilaties
Mutants and Masterminds
HERO system
Godlike
D10, D6, D20 systems
etc,etc,etc....

One of my favorite resources for gaming is Drivethru RPG.com, pleanty of paper terraign as well to be found there, and on the web.
If you so choose, cardstock and a printer works for cutouts if you arn't into figures.

The musings continue....

By and By, I'll be using this area for my project. I hope to have pictures when I'm able, and hope to take you on the road from thought to plan to action in the following months.

Please add in and lets hear some of your recommendations...

;)

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 01:29:32 PM »
The question of miniatures isn't that simple, and I can tell you that as someone who used to customize and paint them for a hobby.
The Clix come pre-assembled and pre-painted, but from what I've seen both casting and paintwork quality are rather... lacking.
Most wargame miniatures (eg just everything done by GW, Reaper etc) come unpainted and with assembly required - depending on the model in question, this could be either very simple gluing two or three parts together or very complex assembly of multipart plastic models made from extremely tiny pieces.
The material the models are made of is also important - metal is tougher, but metal miniatures tend to be hell to modify and plastics are usually less detailed. Working with resin models can be dangerous to one health too.
And on a very very bad note: Most of those things come with lots of pre-molded details. It's bordering on impossible to find anything resembling plain tights or a trenchcoat.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 02:05:22 PM »
Far as the rules go, part of City of Heroes' appeal was the relative simplicity of the mechanics.
If trying to make it into a skirmish game, perhaps a better solution would be to start from a relatively simple set and then start building up on that - superpowers are rules creep incarnate.
Perhaps something similar to Primary Fuzion? See here, that's a complete set of rules : http://imgur.com/hDgpa,PjOEY,XU3Zz#2