Author Topic: Any other Pokemon Trainers out there? :)  (Read 16730 times)

daveyfiacre

• Lieutenant
Any other Pokemon Trainers out there? :)
« on: January 08, 2013, 05:57:06 PM »
Maybe this can be a little introduction and general discussion thread for all things pokemon [by lovers of CoX].

I'm David, my favorite types are Bug [haters gonna hate], Water, Flying and Plant.

Mostly i'm interested what others think about the new info regarding Gen 6 and the new 3DS game Pokemon x and Y.
http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_X_and_Y_announced

:)

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Re: Any other Pokemon Trainers out there? :)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 07:48:39 PM »
I like Pokemon, but in my opinion the series is more stagnant than Madden.  It needs to stop being a stupid Pikachu and evolve into a better game before I'll be enticed into getting a 3DS.   Going 3D and adding a small bit of animation to battle ain't enough.  If it turns out to just be the same old crap in a shinier wrapper I'll be content checking out the new Pokemon they toss in on the internet.

And speaking of new Pokemon, assuming those were the starters they showed, I'd have to see their evolution before deciding between them.  This could be the first generation where I don't care for *any* of the starters.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

daveyfiacre

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 09:48:30 PM »
>_> whoa there

<_<

whoa

i already have a 3ds so for me that's less of an issue and more of a plus. i'm just excited that it's finally moving forward. babysteps. breeding, worldwide online systems, IV and EV training, battle towers, completely different maps and local pokemon each generation. that's not very stagnant to me. the version specificity has gone from just critters to items, characters, maps and dialogue. b2/w2 was a stepping stone also to engage slightly more mature audiences.

the consistency and predictability is a large part of it's retention factor, but i think it's grown as it's remade for each new game system.

but yes, pikachu is stupid.
ew.

daveyfiacre

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 09:49:17 PM »
although, making it into an MMO would be amazeballs.

Karasu

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 10:01:34 PM »

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 10:12:03 PM »
I never cared for breeding or IV/EV training - too tedious.  I just grab Pokemon that I like, give them moves I like, and play.  I've grown to hate the four move limitation, and I feel the combat should have gone more Tactics-esque ages ago as that's far more befitting the combat portrayed in the show/comics (and more interesting than the static combat, in any case).
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

daveyfiacre

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 12:46:26 AM »
yeah Karasu! that's exactly what i'm talking about XD

and Tenzhi, you're right, those things would be fantastic gameplay additions but the anime and manga came after the videogames' success. the four move limitation is probably kept to prevent overpowered-ness [which is present in the anime idk why], and while i reaaalllyyyy hate that some moves can miss and some moves cant be blocked by super obvious means, and it makes zero sense for a tiny bug to be able to stand against a mountainous goliath monster, those things also lend to the wide spectrum of players the game is accessible to.

also, i'm no game coder/programmer but adding new mechanics like that to battling might be something they dont want to spend time on. CoX didnt really have too many items you can blow up and interact with during battle. and to compare the videogames - limited by hardware, tech and time, to things in the anime which has very few limits beyond a rating is hard to do.

but yeah i want that too

please excuse my rambling, i'm sick and on meds ^_^

edit: i think you're right though, it's probably gonna be a lot of the same thing, just in 3d, maybe one new system [besides new place and critters] :)

Omega Mark V

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 02:39:12 AM »
I like the rock, paper, scissors aspect of gameplay, but the series needs to feel 'fresh' or new with each game in order to me to want to pick it up.

I'm somewhat looking at X&Y, it all depends on if I have an itch to play it (which takes a while), and if it turns out to be a decent RPG.

As for types: Water (FTW since Pokemon Blue... Yes I have played this series for a while.), Fighting, Rock/steel, and Flying.
- Omega Mk. V

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 04:55:06 AM »
I'm expecting this game to have some gimmick that utilizes the 3D.  Like you'll have to turn up the 3D in order to decode something or see a hidden entrance somewhere.

And if we're listing favourite types, mine are:

1. Dragon
2. Water/Ghost
3. Rock/Steel/Ground
4. Plant/Poison/Fighting
5. Flying/Psychic/Dark
6. Bug/Fire/Ice

Mind you, I tend to choose my Pokemon by aesthetics first and type second.  And since the first game I have a tendency to include a Snorlax with Hyperbeam in my team regardless of anything else.

And though I tend to like Dragons in general, I hate Dragonite.  Dratini and Dragonair are cool and then all of a sudden they completely change the look to this fat, orange, Barney-like monstrosity.

Omega Mark V

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 03:12:13 PM »
And though I tend to like Dragons in general, I hate Dragonite.  Dratini and Dragonair are cool and then all of a sudden they completely change the look to this fat, orange, Barney-like monstrosity.

I feel ya. I have the same feeling toward it.
- Omega Mk. V

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 03:52:49 PM »
Yeah, I never understood that one either. Almost every other species is recognisably similar or follows a distinct theme when they evolve, but Dragonite completely changes and even 'its a dragon' s a theme is iffy since the other two look more like snakes of some kind. Eastern vs western dragons maybe, but it's still kinda jarring.

Epelesker

• Boss
  • One fix at a time!
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 07:53:27 AM »
Been playing White version a lot recently and just finished getting the last of the starters evolved from eggs. I'd also been working on trade-with-item evolutions last week and got my friend to let me commandeer his White2 to do it, since GTS is unwieldy with the countless impossible trades.

I'm mixed on XY. My initial reaction was a combination of "already!?", "no RSE remake?" and "this is way too much now", but I've grown to like the 5 monsters shown so far and I'm glad the series is making the leap to 3D.

A Wailord with Bounce is the funniest thing to imagine ever.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 08:31:23 AM »
I'm mixed on XY. My initial reaction was a combination of "already!?"

As I understand it, it will have been three+ years since the last Gen started, which is the typical amount of time between Gens.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 10:16:17 PM »
Hi!  I was actually coming here to make this very post after seeing a GameFaqs poster's CoH memorial signature (on the Black 2 board).  Pokemon has competed with City of Heroes over the years as top obsession.  I love Pokemon, I actually just completed the National Pokedex on my White 2.  I have been completely sucked into the competitive aspect, having over 60 EV trained Pokemon (some better than others, to be sure).

Since we appear to be talking about favorite types:

Favorites:
Dragon/Fighting/Water/Fire

Second-string
Electric/Steel/Psychic/Ghost

Mixed
Flying/Rock/Ground/Ice

Not-so-much
Normal/Grass/Bug/Dark/Poison

Epelesker

• Boss
  • One fix at a time!
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 01:06:23 AM »
As I understand it, it will have been three+ years since the last Gen started, which is the typical amount of time between Gens.
Depending on release dates? Japan only got it at the end of 2010 and it was released in NA the following March. Two-ish years.

Either that or time just really flies!

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 02:29:35 AM »
It's not due out until mid-October, which will be over three years from the original release of Black & White.  Typically, that would mean it wouldn't be out internationally until around March/April of the following year, but for the first time they're doing a simultaneous worldwide release (and making a big deal out of it).

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 06:14:42 AM »
Kinda funny that they make a bigger deal of that than they do of it being fully 3d for the first time ever. Not that either one will change the game itself much, but traditionally companies love to point out their fancy new graphics to the exclusion of everything else. Of course, this is Nintendo so it might be different.

daveyfiacre

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 12:12:04 AM »

A Wailord with Bounce is the funniest thing to imagine ever.

a wailord with bounce? and where does skitty come in? ;P

and i'm sure they're gonna be some new gimmick system. but i'm just more interested in the bug pokemon :P I am the Ultimate Bug Champion. go ahead, ask me about my team.

of those most likely to play X&Y, anybody know which of the three starters they're gonna pick? I was first sold on Chespin [Grass] but the sort-of goofy Froakie [Water] has grown on me. so much that I've actually put together my ultimate Amphibian team consisting of all the other seven [six really, the last is debatable] traditionally amphibian based pokemans.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 12:21:47 AM »
I need to see their evolutions before I decide.  Right now I'm leaning towards Froakie and will definitely pick him if he ends up looking wizardly as his "spectacles" and proto-beard seem to hint at.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 02:52:15 AM »
Personally, I'll probably go with the fire one. Because fox. If it ends up being yet another fire/fighting though, I will be highly disappointed.

daveyfiacre

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2013, 04:52:03 AM »

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2013, 04:58:25 AM »
Fennekin is just Vulpix minus some tails.  Hopefully it gets more interesting in its evolutions.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2013, 05:18:39 AM »
ah I remember back in my days. Of course I was Pokemon yellow generation before I out grew Pokemon and retired. I was the master in my neighborhood and surrounding areas. Mostly specialized in psi Pokemon.

Main Line-up:
Lord Infam(ous)(last three letters didnt fit) - Kadabra
King-Mew Two
Miles-Mr. Mime
Short-Haunter
Quip-Cant remember the type but the one that used hypnosis.

And a few scattered here and there that supplemented the main line up when needed a change and a bunch I acquired as trophies in lose the battle lose the Pokemon battles.

Reiraku

• Boss

TerminalVelocity

• Minion
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2013, 08:50:55 PM »
So hey. I'm a Pokemon trainer as well.
My favorite type is fighting (just for the Pokemon that have that type), and my favorite Pokemon is Reuniclus.

(Come to think of it, reminds me of Hammy)
I'll either be picking Fennekin or Chespin, depending on their evoloutions. Froakie could come out of nowhere with its' final evo and become my favorite, but Froakie itself is horrendous.

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/6978339328/h65D570AC/
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 09:02:32 PM by TerminalVelocity »
@Bullet Barrage
I left the forums with 1,337 post.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2013, 10:05:28 PM »
Prolly Fennekin.  But my boyfriend and my brother like it so I might be tempted to pick one of the other two.  I've never liked the grass-type starters but Chespin is okay.  Maybe Chespin.

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2013, 08:39:34 PM »
Played the Pikachu Edition, but otherwise meh.
The games are just too limited for my liking; but I'm a big fan of Jade Cocoon...catching, training and merging Minions into ungodly forms is a fun that never gets old for me.

The story isn't bad either...although it does get a bit repetitive after the 10th time playing through ;)
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.

TerminalVelocity

• Minion
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2013, 03:02:36 AM »
It's disappointing that even though X and Y are in 3D the game is still grid based.
@Bullet Barrage

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2013, 06:55:30 AM »
It's disappointing that even though X and Y are in 3D the game is still grid based.

Out of any disappointments I might ever possibly have with the game, grid-based movement wouldn't even make the list.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2013, 07:10:55 PM »
If it still uses HMs, I see no reason to play again.
Killing the 2d oldschool JRPG feel kills part of my desire to play again.
The sheer tedium of IV/EVs kills any real thought of playing "seriously."

That said, I found this C&E bait the other day, and am more tempted by that.

Even though it cant last.
Woo! - Argent Girl

TerminalVelocity

• Minion
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2013, 11:08:28 PM »
If it still uses HMs, I see no reason to play again.
HMs are pretty much gone as of Gen 5. Except for surf.
@Bullet Barrage

Epelesker

• Boss
  • One fix at a time!
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2013, 05:48:57 AM »
HMs are not gone except for Surf: they're hugely relegated to side exploration, though. TMs were vastly improved in Black/White by becoming reusable.

As a casual player, I'm not concerned about values/natures/anything that involves building for tournament play: that's for the "serious player" to gush over.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2013, 09:08:01 AM »
HMs are not gone except for Surf: they're hugely relegated to side exploration, though. TMs were vastly improved in Black/White by becoming reusable.

As a casual player, I'm not concerned about values/natures/anything that involves building for tournament play: that's for the "serious player" to gush over.
The only strictly necessary HMs are Surf and Waterfall in B2W2 if I'm not mistaken (Waterfall might not even be necessary).  Why they both have to be Water-type?  You got me, but they're both actually pretty solid moves. 

On a news related note, there's going to be a Meloetta distribution at Gamestop.  With that one, I can finally bring my national 'dex up to 649, instead of the annoying-but-technically-complete-as-far-as-the-game-is-concerned 648.

daveyfiacre

• Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2013, 03:41:20 PM »
hm's have never seemed an issue except for the "only remove at move deleter" part.

also, Corocoro is set to leak in the next week and a half or so. ^_^

i'm putting together an amphibian team to trade in [going with Froakie and he's gonna need slippery slimey support!]

TerminalVelocity

• Minion
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2013, 03:50:44 AM »
Oh man, can't wait for the CoroCoro leak.
@Bullet Barrage

Starkzilla

• Underling
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2013, 05:10:49 AM »
although, making it into an MMO would be amazeballs.

*cough*http://pokemmo.eu/*cough*

Also, been playing Pokemon since Red and Blue first his the US shores (oh god so old now) and I still play it to this day! Can't wait for X/Y to drop!

Epelesker

• Boss
  • One fix at a time!
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2013, 01:51:28 AM »
New XY information from CoroCoro revealing a new Eeveelution came out this week: Ninfia (ニンフィア). So far, its type and evolution method hasn't been revealed, but there's rumor going about that this may be the first instance of a new eighteenth Type, the Light type.

http://www.serebii.net/xy/ninfia.jpg

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2013, 04:51:45 AM »
If it isn't a new type, I'm betting it's Flying though my second-guess would be Bug.  I'm also thinking it'll be a gender-specific Evolution tied to the new "Bond" system they've mentioned (but given no details on, of course).

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2013, 06:42:54 AM »
We need an eevee of every type already!

And I find it... weird... that they would need a 'light' type. We already have Psychic, and Dark hurts Psychic. I guess Light will hurt Dark...? Then what..

Aaaaah this all hurts my brain.
Woo! - Argent Girl

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2013, 07:31:42 AM »
People have been speculating about a Light type in every new generation since they added Dark in generation 2. It's one of those things that people always speculate about before any real information is released, like the next game letting you go to every region and Flareon being made actually good. It's not going to happen, ever.

Absolute

• Lieutenant
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2013, 08:09:34 AM »
The sheer tedium of IV/EVs kills any real thought of playing "seriously."

Nobody playing competitively actually grinds IVs/EVs. Only people who really want to beat their inexperienced local friends actually do that.

We all use...

http://www.pokemonshowdown.com/

Before that we used Shoddy Battle, although that stopped getting updated.

You select IVs/EVs/Move set/Nature. I still believe Smogon University is the top place to get strategies.

You can watch random matches as a guest if anyone if interested in Pokemon Showdown. The sound is loud though, get ready to turn it down.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2013, 08:43:51 AM »
Nobody playing competitively actually grinds IVs/EVs. Only people who really want to beat their inexperienced local friends actually do that.

And, of course, people who play in tournaments.

Epelesker

• Boss
  • One fix at a time!
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2013, 09:28:05 PM »
Update: Ninfia's English name is Sylveon. The Pokemon Company's got a short video posted of gameplay footage of this Pokemon.

http://youtu.be/pse_I1klRhA

daveyfiacre

• Lieutenant
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2013, 10:15:14 PM »
so i know the chances are slimmer by the day, but i'm still hoping for a second eeveelution for this gen. lol

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2013, 05:28:36 AM »
Update: Ninfia's English name is Sylveon.

The fact that a sylph is an air elemental just further indicates the likelihood that it's Flying type to me.

daveyfiacre

• Lieutenant
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2013, 10:05:38 PM »
i was just recently exposed to pokemon showdown and OH MY GOD IT IS SO AWESOME. if any of you fools want to test me, go ahead ;D

anyway, i really think the new eeveelution is first a normal type, second a new type, and maaaybe third a flying type. but i'm hoping for new type. but the only feasible types would be a "Fae" type and a "Sonic" type. I cant think of any other types they'd introduce that arent covered by the other types. "Light" would probably be mixed in with my suggested "Fae" business.

lolz to the people who still think Sylveon is a dragon type. wtf.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2013, 10:50:34 PM »
Flying is just as unlikely if you ask me. Eevee evolutions are always monotyped, and they only make monotyped flying pokemon if they're supposed to never actually land. My money's on normal or a new type entirely.

Epelesker

• Boss
  • One fix at a time!
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2013, 01:57:05 AM »
I cant think of any other types they'd introduce that arent covered by the other types. "Light" would probably be mixed in with my suggested "Fae" business.
Don't count this as fact, but it could be possible that if Light typing is introduced, Fairy egg group monsters could be retconned into it (much like how Magnemite inherited Steel when it was introed in GSC).

Also in second generation, one of the Eeveelutions ended up being the new type (Umbreon for Dark).

But that's just a thought.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2013, 06:43:05 AM »
Flying is just as unlikely if you ask me. Eevee evolutions are always monotyped, and they only make monotyped flying pokemon if they're supposed to never actually land. My money's on normal or a new type entirely.

I believe there's only one pure flying type thus far and it has a form with legs that stands on the ground.  Or, to phrase it in hip internet lingo: Tornadus says hi ;)

Epelesker

• Boss
  • One fix at a time!
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2013, 07:41:37 AM »
I believe there's only one pure flying type thus far and it has a form with legs that stands on the ground.  Or, to phrase it in hip internet lingo: Tornadus says hi ;)
To be fair, Tornadus' therian form is still a bird (since that cycle['s design] seems to be based on the Phoenix, Dragon and Tiger aspect from eastern myth).
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 07:47:22 AM by Epelesker »

Epelesker

• Boss
  • One fix at a time!
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2013, 08:54:28 AM »

daveyfiacre

• Lieutenant
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2013, 08:46:25 PM »
ooohhhh meloetta. i've been curious to train 'er. thanks for the info!

and goooosh i hope the Corocoro and leaks give us something good this month.

daveyfiacre

• Lieutenant
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2013, 04:35:28 AM »
incase y'all havent heard, the new pokemon revealed today is either an alt forme to Mewtwo OR a NewMew of some sort.

check it out on the pokemon xy website :D

god i hope its not just a forme but it's own poke.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2013, 05:03:55 AM »
Yeah, it looks like Frieza merged with a Twilek...  with a spoiler on its head to indicate that it is both fast and furious.