Author Topic: I noticed this riff on superheroes in EW, comments?  (Read 3593 times)

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
I noticed this riff on superheroes in EW, comments?
« on: January 07, 2013, 09:22:26 PM »
The Superhero Delusion: How Superhero Movies created the Sad Perfect Badass Messiah, and what that says about America

Personally I think it's more about the cookie-cutter aspect of genre movies and hero myth.  It's mildly interesting to see his premise that other action films are being wedged into the superhero genre mold.

Also the author can't tell apart a crossbow from a long bow.  Did he even watch The Hunger Games?
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
Re: I noticed this riff on superheroes in EW, comments?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 10:48:54 AM »
The Superhero Delusion: How Superhero Movies created the Sad Perfect Badass Messiah, and what that says about America

Personally I think it's more about the cookie-cutter aspect of genre movies and hero myth.  It's mildly interesting to see his premise that other action films are being wedged into the superhero genre mold.

Also the author can't tell apart a crossbow from a long bow.  Did he even watch The Hunger Games?

It's "Entertainment Weekly."  They are only required to produce copy sensational enough to get people at WalMart to buy it on impulse at the checkout counter.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Copper Cockroach

• Boss
  • Phoenix Project: 2D Art Lead
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 03:16:01 PM »
"Entertainment, Weakly". As Stan the Man would put it... 'Nuff Said.

There are families where both parents are working, and they're still living in their car. Meanwhile this guy and his ilk get paid who-knows-how-much to churn out this kind of verborrhea. What a world.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 06:43:33 PM »
Maybe they should do a report on what the popularity of entertainment magazines says about America.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 04:30:58 AM »
"Entertainment, Weakly". As Stan the Man would put it... 'Nuff Said.

There are families where both parents are working, and they're still living in their car. Meanwhile this guy and his ilk get paid who-knows-how-much to churn out this kind of verborrhea. What a world.

Don't get me started on Major Sports Figures and bankster CEOs.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Timelord Tom

• RIP Timlord
  • Lieutenant
    • Paragon Radio Gallifrey
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 04:58:28 AM »
Don't get me started on Major Sports Figures and bankster CEOs.

Or just about any other CEOs for that matter...

Septipheran

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 10:58:26 PM »
Only communists rag on super heroes.  :P

Slightly off topic, because this guy comparing and contrasting TDKR and The Avengers gave me a reminiscent lol to this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omyAD-SRXaI