Author Topic: CoH, Sales and a test audit  (Read 15614 times)

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Re: CoH, Sales and a test audit
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2013, 07:59:40 PM »
I get the seasons, but there's whole years of reasons the entire set of quarters would be different.

Yes but the point is at least the seasonal variables have been accounted for so now you can look for other reasons why the change, for good or bad.  Retailers go one step further and report same store sales so expansion or contraction of total stores doesn't hide overall growth (or shrinkage).
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2013, 08:16:36 PM »
I don't think it takes much to get on their good side. And I highly doubt that the BBB is still on the side of the consumer.

Decided to try the most obvious comparison. Oddly, EA isn't even rated.

Riot games and Valve, two very excellent companies, have F ratings by the BBB.  So, it makes me wonder what the heck their ratings are based on.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2013, 08:19:15 PM »
Let's take a moment to review the existing threads on the BBB before going further down that road. The discussion was fairly comprehensive.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2013, 05:54:27 PM »
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

I'm signing off and taking a break, blindly hope things change.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2013, 06:24:40 PM »
Yes, with the release of GW2, GW1's numbers are also now lumped into the "Others" category.  As an aside they only broke out Tabula Rasa's numbers for four quarters where it started at around 5,000 million KrW and dropped to around 1/3 of that the remaining three quarters it was reported.  The game actually lasted six quarters with the last two swept under the rug for Aion's glowing sales.

I also had looked at GW1's numbers and how they relate to CoH's a few months ago.

This shows the trailing twelve months of sales of both games in USD, CoH in blue, GW in orange.  It shows the difference between a game that is subscription + box sales based versus one that's just box sales with paid expansions and an item store.  ArenaNet announced GW2 development in March 2007.  NCSoft publicly announced at the end of 2009 that GW2 would be ready in 2011 so that may have impacted some GW sales.

This shows the accumulated sales of each game, again CoH in blue and GW in orange.  GW had greater sales in less time than CoH.  In the first 3 years it's sales were 50% higher than the first 3 years of CoH.  And while it's sales dropped off after the last expansion, they potentially had a big enough nest egg to finance most of the GW2 development.

Kuriositys Kat

• Lieutenant
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2013, 09:40:00 PM »
Yes, with the release of GW2, GW1's numbers are also now lumped into the "Others" category.  As an aside they only broke out Tabula Rasa's numbers for four quarters where it started at around 5,000 million KrW and dropped to around 1/3 of that the remaining three quarters it was reported.  The game actually lasted six quarters with the last two swept under the rug for Aion's glowing sales.

I also had looked at GW1's numbers and how they relate to CoH's a few months ago.

This shows the trailing twelve months of sales of both games in USD, CoH in blue, GW in orange.  It shows the difference between a game that is subscription + box sales based versus one that's just box sales with paid expansions and an item store.  ArenaNet announced GW2 development in March 2007.  NCSoft publicly announced at the end of 2009 that GW2 would be ready in 2011 so that may have impacted some GW sales.

This shows the accumulated sales of each game, again CoH in blue and GW in orange.  GW had greater sales in less time than CoH.  In the first 3 years it's sales were 50% higher than the first 3 years of CoH.  And while it's sales dropped off after the last expansion, they potentially had a big enough nest egg to finance most of the GW2 development.

One thing that sticks in my memory is the sale promotion banners/posters and stickers in the game shops here in OZ for both Aion and GW 1/2. CoH not a glimmer, yep marketing pays.
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do!" - The Doctor

Little Green Frog

• Boss
  • @Little Green Frog
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2013, 09:55:11 PM »
One thing that sticks in my memory is the sale promotion banners/posters and stickers in the game shops here in OZ for both Aion and GW 1/2. CoH not a glimmer, yep marketing pays.

Yes, there was never any serious effort at marketing the title beyond the launch of City of Villains, I think. And then the charts seem to indicate that the abrupt closure happened as City of Heroes' revenue stabilized indicating that it could go on like it is for a few years - not being very lucrative, but pulling its weight. It makes me wonder whether the management didn't count on the game slowly fading away and intervened when it became apparent it probably won't in a foreseeable future.

Mazz vs The World

• Lieutenant
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2013, 10:17:36 PM »
Funny you mention marketing. The first time I even saw COH was in Wal-Mart and the word Hero made me pick up the box which then led me to buy it and play it. This was long ago of course and it may have even been before NCSoft. With that said, alot of people have no idea about this game so yeah they suck at marketing when it comes to COH of course.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2013, 10:23:47 PM »
A constant stream of boxes in stores pay.  It's the freest advertising.  How many people have purchased a game after reading the back of a box?  Tough to do that when it's not in the store or have been reduced to a dangling card next to dangling cards of proxy currency. 

And in the case of MMOs, not being on the shelf (or time cards) may suggest to some who had heard of the game that the game may no longer be around.  Even worse would be one beat up dusty box lumped in with the other old and unpopular titles.

It always bugged my that Going Rogue got filed under G in stores that bothered to alphabetized and not C because the staff would simply look at C and say they don't have City of Heroes.

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2013, 10:35:23 PM »
Made a revision to my original chart with some events added in. My timing may be off, let me know if you notice I put something in the wrong quarter.

First big drop the game got is the expected one a year after the CoV release, given the unatural spike due to box sales, it was just expected there would be a Year over Year drop that quarter.

Anyways, if I get this right, seems the biggest "bad" thing to happen to CoH was the release of Champions Online. Didn't half the comunity but it did steal a lot of players.

It seems every box release was very good for the game, and that things started also going downhill with the cancelation of the Top Cow comic book, and the box did not have to be a full fledge expansion like GR, any box in the shelves did enough to pump new blood into the game.

I also added I13 in there just because many villified the PvP rebalance as hurting the game, if true, it seems no one noticed until Champions launched 3 quarters later.

For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

Valjean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2013, 11:43:27 PM »
Keep in mind that there was a double blow to COH, Champions Online AND Aion came out right on top of each other. If one didn't pull customers away, the other would have.

Absolute

• Lieutenant
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2013, 02:16:55 AM »
I also added I13 in there just because many villified the PvP rebalance as hurting the game, if true, it seems no one noticed until Champions launched 3 quarters later.

The opposite actually. PvPers left -before- issue 13 came out. Word got out before open beta. Some quit, some more quit and once the rest could try it in open beta, almost everyone was gone.

Remember BaB's argument for power customization? Issue 13 was the opposite of that. A lot of people PvPed casually, and the PvP changes would have reduced player retention. It's not a specific figure you can really point to.

2 years before the issue 13 changes (Issue 7), I believe it was War Witch who mentioned 10% of the population and PvP. That would have dwindled down before issue 13, and then only a certain percentage of those players only PvPed. I don't think that segment lost was great enough alone to cause a decrease in revenue (Although PvPers would regularly have 4 accounts).

Issue 13 didn't destroy the game (It was the lack of marketing), but Issue 13 didn't exactly help, and probably decreased the health or reputation of the game.

A lot of people thought the game would die with issue 13 because of the choices of the developers. They said if the same changes were going to be applied to PvE (and people thought they were), the game would die. That's true. Luckily that didn't happen.

Edit: /e Facepalm  Well it did happen, but not because of that.

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2013, 04:54:12 PM »

Absolute

• Lieutenant
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2013, 09:54:05 PM »
I asked Posi in person about the PvP population at PAX 2011. That was right before issue 21.

He said it was 1% right then. That would have been the lowest it had ever been (It's not like anyone was joining PvP). If it was 1% -after- issue 13, then at issue 12, it had to have been much higher.

The population was small if you only count the people who only PvPed. Like I said, even a lot of people on these forums would have enjoyed PvP at one time or another (Casually, with friends, base raids etc.). In fact, you couldn't even PvP decently until you had logged enough PvE hours to get to level 50.

Those kinds of people didn't leave because of the i13 PvP, they just stopped playing PvP. You can't see the shift in revenue because they didn't lose money. It was just a huge quality of life fail. The lose of revenue would be seen over time as, until Incarnates, PvP was the only end-game for players.

Incarnate came out Q4 2010. The drops right after Champions came out was obviously caused by Champions, but I would confidently say a lot of people had no problem changing games because the lack of end-game (and lack of PvP). They were getting bored with their level 50s, PvP might have solved that for some of them.

Besides, I don't even know how anyone can measure the amount of people with PvP. What qualifies someone who PvPs? If they spend a certain amount of time in a zone? How many events they do in a week? I had a group of RPers that never PvPed but loved watching me duel people. What about them? We've had people wander into PvP zones and have no idea what's going on. Why aren't players told about PvP and where the zones are, the zone levels etc. There's a generic contact standing there that just tells players to get ready to be attacked.

Not only that, let's talk about PvP's potential. If we had 10% with a neglected game type, imagine if they talked to the PvPers and spent some more time on it.

I think the PvP population was actually bigger, just like the base building community was bigger. I hated building bases, but I enjoyed looking at other SG's bases. It helped me stay with CoH and helped CoH get my money, while I couldn't build a base for the life of me. I wouldn't leave the game if bases were taken out though. Some people would, but a lot of others would think "That really sucks", then move back to PvE.

That's what happened with PvP. As for our real population numbers? I'd have to see their parameters for the data mining, and I doubt they were all inclusive.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2013, 11:03:19 PM »

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2013, 05:04:56 PM »
I still think "flagged" PvP might have worked. What really put me off was calmly trying to collect badges and then being jumped unexpectedly. That REAAALLLLLLLYYY put me off. That put me off from here all the way to Alpha Centauri.

At least we had zones that PvP was confined to; one of the things that turned me off of Aion was open-world PvP and the number of times I was out grinding one of the gathering skills and suddenly found myself the target of three or four characters from the other faction twenty or more levels higher than I was, who seemed to think that the MMORPG equivalent of stepping on ants proved how '1337' and skilled they were.

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2013, 05:15:17 PM »

WildFire15

• Lieutenant
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2013, 05:48:47 PM »
I would have liked to have seen a team based bank robbery for PvP, with one team robbing and the other team defending. Could have been interesting and rewards could have been dished out depending on how well the teams did.

As for the 'duel' mechanic in Champs and several other MMOs, I think, it would be nice if you could set an auto decline for duelling if you're not participially interested in doing it. Or maybe if someone keeps spamming duel requests on players who aren't interested, say 10 in a row, there's a cool down period of about half an hour or so before you can request a duel again yourself.

*edit*
Additional thought on the team bank robbery, the team's wouldn't be locked to alignment, but if a hero works on the 'robbers' team then they could have an option to reduce their reward and gain a point to change alignment.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 05:59:05 PM by WildFire15 »

Kuriositys Kat

• Lieutenant
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2013, 05:09:45 PM »
Made a revision to my original chart with some events added in. My timing may be off, let me know if you notice I put something in the wrong quarter.

First big drop the game got is the expected one a year after the CoV release, given the unatural spike due to box sales, it was just expected there would be a Year over Year drop that quarter.

Anyways, if I get this right, seems the biggest "bad" thing to happen to CoH was the release of Champions Online. Didn't half the comunity but it did steal a lot of players.

It seems every box release was very good for the game, and that things started also going downhill with the cancelation of the Top Cow comic book, and the box did not have to be a full fledge expansion like GR, any box in the shelves did enough to pump new blood into the game.

There are some other factors in there too,  US side the troop surge in 2010 and ramp up to it in late 2009.  I know that folks I ran with  went overseas and had to leave the game for that reason.
Half my global list disappeared at that time. I can discount the ones that went to try CO because they came back after  the 30 days was up  if not before. Anecdotal evidence and just IMHO but it  is what I noticed.
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do!" - The Doctor

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2013, 07:10:30 PM »
There are some other factors in there too,  US side the troop surge in 2010 and ramp up to it in late 2009.  I know that folks I ran with  went overseas and had to leave the game for that reason.
Half my global list disappeared at that time. I can discount the ones that went to try CO because they came back after  the 30 days was up  if not before. Anecdotal evidence and just IMHO but it  is what I noticed.

I wound up moving characters from Pinnacle to Guardian because of that; deployments and transfers hit the group I played with pretty hard, and I found myself soloing by default far more than otherwise, so I moved characters to a server that I'd already found a new group on.