Author Topic: Peter David, "Writer of Stuff", had a stroke while on vacation in Florida  (Read 4269 times)

Manga

• Elite Boss
I don't really have any words of my own on the subject right now, so here's the official coverage by Peter's wife, Kathleen:

http://www.peterdavid.net/

EDIT: On first glance at my own post, it looked scarier than necessary, so before you even click that link I'll go ahead and say he IS alive and coherent.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Well it definately sounds worse than my stoke back in June, I only (and still to some degree) loss feeling in the left side of my body.  He's exhibiting the more classic paralysis.  Other symptoms seem very familiar.  My BP was also through the roof when I got to hospital and stayed quite high during the first 24 hours (I blame it on being hooked to a monitor and the ER nurses that seemed to go out of it's/their way to keep me awake).

The brain is remarkably pliable when it's required to be.  It will take some time but I'm sure he will "seem" normal to many in a few months.  Of course he'll know he isn't.  Close friends and family will notice little changes on how he walks or how he holds things.  It'll take him a bit of time to adapt to one hand not being quite up to par when it comes to typing compared to the other.  He'll have good days and bad days.  He'll be on meds for the rest of his life to reduce the chance of it happening again with an even worse outcome.

To keep this slightly humorous and in the Star Trek vain which is where I know his writing best from, he's not in a Capt Pike chair flashing lights.

Edit: I met him once at a con.  IIRC he was involved in the B5 panel with JMS and Harlan Ellison, maybe as the host.  It was a long time ago, 1995.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 08:32:23 PM by FatherXmas »
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
I saw it posted by Neil Gaiman on Twitter, but the link he posted went to a blog post that looked like it had been posted by Peter, himself. Been keeping half an eye on it and haven't seen anything new. I did start following him on Twitter, though, @peterdavid_PAD.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
That sucks.  He's probably my favourite Hulk writer.  Indeed, I stopped picking up the comic when he left and then they proceeded to destroy everything he had set up.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
Well, the good news here is that he seems to be recovering some use of his limbs relatively fast, and his wife is right, you can train the brain to make up for that.  The better news is that it doesn't sound as if the cognitive parts of his brain were affected.  For a writer, that is the worst possible nightmare.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Not to drag this into morbidity, but the guy who ran the game store when I was a kid was Kim Eastland. He did a bit of this and that, but the first book I had of his was the Star Frontiers expansion, Zebulon's Guide to Free Space. He did a couple of other things (some articles for Dragon, some Gamma World stuff), but his vision was what betrayed him. Granted, this was in the 80s, before computers really came into their own, or Lasik came along, for that matter. Anyway, the damage was done. To the best of my ability to tell, he hasn't written anything for publication, since. He's part owner of a mystery/dinner theater, so he's still expressing his creative side, but I've always felt for the guy.

To bring it back on topic, I've always had a fondness for Mr. David, creatively. I'm glad he's getting better. (You know. Should anyone have a more direct line to him than Twitter.)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
To bring it back on topic, I've always had a fondness for Mr. David, creatively. I'm glad he's getting better. (You know. Should anyone have a more direct line to him than Twitter.)

I'm just reading his wife's blog, with some personal knowledge having had relatives and a mentor (MZB) with strokes.

Just FYI, the sooner you can get to the hospital, the faster they can cut off the damage.  Better an unnecessary trip to the hospital than waiting too long.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Arnabas

• Minion
That sucks.  He's probably my favourite Hulk writer.  Indeed, I stopped picking up the comic when he left and then they proceeded to destroy everything he had set up.

Same. I'd love to see his run on Hulk collected like Simonson's Thor, but supposedly Marvel didn't think it was popular enough to get that treatment.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
I may have to order Hidden Earth Saga.  That one sounds interesting to me.  Have to look it up on Amazon when I'm in a position to do something about it.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.