Author Topic: GW2 Reportedly Banning the Handicapped  (Read 25436 times)

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
Re: GW2 Reportedly Banning the Handicapped
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2013, 07:43:57 PM »
Actually, the quote was "NCsoft edict" not "Arenanet or NCsoft", which has a bit more weight. And regardless if this is posted in a different subforum, Titan is still associated with City of Heroes and is collecitvely smarting from the shutdown.  If you're thoroughly convinced that this is a black hat plan, then I advise you take it to ablegamer.com, a platform where this is a central issue, and let them pursue it if they so wish.

And that "NCsoft edict" was posed as a QUESTION, not a STATEMENT. And the paragraph ended with "But that is what I will let the journalists try and figure out."

What that means is: "The answer to the question is not known, but we will hopefully find out the answer."

What that does NOT mean is: "We are going to tell the news media that NCsoft is ordering Arenanet to discriminate against the handicapped."

First, let's not bring gun control into this.  It's a sensitive topic and, frankly, I don't think anyone here is making such an accusation.  So just let that one go.  Second, the statement "GW2 Reportedly Banning the Handicapped" connotes GW2 is targetting those people, which is clearly not the place.  It is sensationalizing the situation.

Seriously... do you just have no idea how to take examples for what they are without turning the example into the focus of the conversation? Or do you just do it automatically to turn my words into something they're not? This is the second time you've done it to me in this thread now now. What I said had NOTHING to do with gun control. I was pointing out that journalists do far worse than "GW2 Reportedly Banning the Handicapped" without getting accused of libel. And I used it because it's an example that all gamers have been able to relate to ever since Columbine. If you really thought that I was trying to derail by turning it into a gun control debate, I suggest you just stop reading this thread right now, because you're probably not processing a single statement within its intended context.

Considering every account petition is getting a review (glancing through PI's link), I'm really not convinced of that.  Again, you guys are on this like white on rice -- given where you're coming from, your motive is suspect, regardless of the circumstances.  Flip it over to cooler minds like ablegamer, that have a more clearly defined and longstanding vested interest and let them look into it (or even sign up over there and discuss it with them).

Given the way you've treated the examples I've used in this thread so far, you seem guilty of the very thing you're accusing me of. You're seeing things that completely aren't there. Seems like you have an axe of your own to grind, considering the assumptions you're making about my point of view on this.

Are you telling me that I CAN'T look at this from a neutral point-of-view? The only thing that has me jaded is CoH disaster at all. Were this any company unrelated to NCsoft, I'd be equally concerned about it. Has the fall of Paragon influenced that vigilance? Sure it has. But that doesn't mean I'm in this discussion JUST because it's NCsoft. I've already wondered on and off if humanity's technologically-integrated society has reached a point now where online gaming communities need their own "whistle blower" organization to help maintain the balance between business and consumer. I wondered that even before I heard that CoH is shutting down. And I've wondered if Titan will evolve into such an entity. I don't know if it's necessary though. At least not yet. But the dispensability of large groups of gamers certainly seems to be on the rise in light of recent news BESIDES CoH, so regardless of whether the 'gamescape' has already reached that point, we're definitely heading toward it.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2013, 08:42:29 PM »
Reportedly Senator Fatbottom Blowhard keeps nubile young teens as sex slaves in his mansion.

But that is what I will let the journalists try and figure out.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2013, 09:43:48 PM »
Reportedly Senator Fatbottom Blowhard keeps nubile young teens as sex slaves in his mansion. But that is what I will let the journalists try and figure out.

Link pls.

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2013, 10:03:53 PM »
How do you know if it's "disproportionately target the disabled"?  The first round of bot banning mid December was just 38,000 accounts.

I don't care the reason, I just am here loving how a company can re-appropiate $2,280,000 worth of product without giving out a single refund.
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

I'm signing off and taking a break, blindly hope things change.

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2013, 10:17:26 PM »
Reportedly Senator Fatbottom Blowhard keeps nubile young teens as sex slaves in his mansion.

But that is what I will let the journalists try and figure out.
Link pls.

Heck I just want a link to Senator Fatbottom Blowhard's ID! With a name like that, who cares if it's true or not!
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

I'm signing off and taking a break, blindly hope things change.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2013, 10:37:06 PM »
Heck I just want a link to Senator Fatbottom Blowhard's ID! With a name like that, who cares if it's true or not!

The creation of a toon named Senator Fatbottom Blowhard: Reason #94857195 to bring back CoH.

Nightmarer

• Boss
  • We all float down here
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2013, 10:44:06 PM »
Perhaps I didn't do a very good job making my point. Please allow me to try again.

Which scenario is the more likely?

1) ArenaNet is filled full of evil people who enjoy banning handicapped people from their games.

2) Guild Wars 2, like many MMOs, has a problem with botting. A problem that they are trying to combat by developing and refining their detection and banning methods. The botters are fighting back by improving and refining their methods as well. Any time you ban thousands of accounts you're going to get a few false positives. Not because people are evil or incompetent, but simply because nothing is perfect.

Now taking Occam's Razor into account, which of the above two scenarios is the more likely?

Also, if someone was banned in error they can and should file a support ticket and customer service (which is slammed at the moment according to the community manager) will examine the situation and fix it.

A few people running whatever scripts in the background and getting banned in error because of it is a failure rate far less than 1%. Simply put these things happen and rather than just go off the deep end and automatically assume that the folks at ArenaNet are being evil jerks why don't we instead wait a week or two and see if they resolve the situation correctly?

Just curious, what about scenario 3? I'd say there's also a high chance of NCSoft/ArenaNet/whoever, being GW2 a non subscription game is not really interested on hiring staff to thoroughly check said issues, they just cashed the money and now they do the easy thing, if in doubt, ban the player and move onto next one.-

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2013, 11:14:18 PM »
(I need to bookmark my modhat image...)

This thread seems to have wandered down some very dark alleyways in its meandering.  It seems that any points relevant to the original post have already been made, so I'm going to go ahead and lock this before it gets any further out of hand and we actually have to start taking action against any specific individuals.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov