Author Topic: GW2 Reportedly Banning the Handicapped  (Read 25225 times)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
GW2 Reportedly Banning the Handicapped
« on: January 02, 2013, 03:08:39 AM »
OK.  THIS is just wrong on so many levels I cannot even begin to count them.

According to a very reliable friend of mine, Guild Wars 2 is banning the handicapped.

This is how it breaks down.  Arenanet recently started purging GW2 of bots.  Except that the definition of a "bot" includes people that contact them to protest being banned because they are using handicapped-assists.

Here is my conversation with him:

wolfwings_backup: Not to mention that they are *STILL* auto-banning anyone running any program that ties into the keyboard or mouse devices.
wolfwings_backup: So Logitech G-16? Auto-ban on login if the systray app is running since it's detected as a 'macro/botting' program. Still.
Misty: facepalm
wolfwings_backup: AutoHotkey? I kinda need that running due to work, I'm not gonna quit that every time I load the damn game. So ban for me most likely at some point.
wolfwings_backup: And don't get me started on all the disabled-assistance programs, since most of those *ARE* macro/automation tools. Those are EXPLICITLY banned, a couple folks are considering bringing ADA lawsuits against them over that.
Misty: I think they SHOULD bring ADA lawsuits against them
wolfwings_backup: It's mostly a matter of those that could, would rather go play something else than waste the time, nobody hard-headed enough has hit that wall yet. XD
wolfwings_backup: In many cases going back to GW1.

He's on his way to visit (should be here in 3 days) and I am going to sit down with him, verify this, get some actual names of handicapped people that are banned and verify they can't get any redress, then turn this loose on the game journalists.  What I REALLY want to know is, is this ArenaNet?  Or is this an edict from NCSoft that ArenaNet is helpless to do anything about?  But that is what I will let the journalists try and figure out.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
Re: GW2 Reportedly Banning the Handicapped
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 04:47:38 AM »
Prove you are handicapped.  I don't believe your photoshopped doctors orders and such.  Request denied, bot.

or

Oh, so you're handicapped.  Ok, fine, we're sorry.  Here ya go... Oh, just one more thing... [/columbo]

Prove you're not farming for <gold/rares/whatever the system is trying to prevent> and then going off to sell it.

---

And there's the issue.

I am a child of people who would be considered handicapped.  They are my heroes, by the way... they deal with normal life and their different afflictions, and it's almost NBD.  They're completely awesome.  I want to get that right on out.  They had to deal with life like "normal" people (whatever that is), and still hold down jobs, and still deal with us kids.  And now, they are grandparents and babysit, and... well, I could continue to gush, but I have first hand knowledge of some of the deficiencies computer can have for certain disabilities, like sight, which is a big problem for my mom.  She can't read the screens well, and can't see well overall, so she can't internet or drive.  That's kinda frustrating sometimes for her, in both respects

So, armed with that info, you can understand when I say I really do feel for the people affected by the overzealous bot seeking program/rules.  It sucks to be caught in the net 'accidentally' for needing something to play the game.  I would be irritated myself, of course, and would do everything possible to fight their accusations and decision.

However, as a person who is also a victim of ID theft, proof is just... not good enough in a lot of times.  As in, it's easy to spoof who I am, if you will.  Only in this case it's more a reversed situation.  It's tough to be the accused.  Burden of proof is on you, and even then, it's likely not going to be enough in this case.  In this case... how do we know the disabled person ISN'T running a bot?  Hm? 

I am curious to see how this works out.  It would be better if they used some other determination than detection of AutoHotKey or whatever, but... I'm not sure how that'd be done in the short term.  This is their first salvo.  It may be that a second, more lenient to the 'real people' system gets put in place, like MARTy and the 10+ chat thing for CoH.

/I, for one, can see the bot runners specifically hiring the disabled to ensure they can't be stopped.  I mean, ADA suit, win, can't stop the keyrunners, can't stop the bots.  Win for them. :|
//Honest question:  Does Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft have to accomodate the blind or physically unable to hold a controller?  Would Stevie Wonder or Stephen Hawking have a case?  I should go look into that myself...

---

Edit: Seeing as it's being hashed out in this thread:
http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,5250.1180.html

Kaiser has a good response to whatever I just said, so... yeah, I might have wanted to stay outta this. :p

/I should be to bed anyway.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 05:00:47 AM by houtex »

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 05:14:55 AM »
If this is true, such a level of callous incompetence in a game-company is truly beyond the pale.
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 05:48:08 AM »
To quickly sum up Kaiser Tarantula's post on the other thread, it is evidently ridiculously easy to differentiate genuine bots from people using hotkey aids--and not that hard to tell people who are multi-boxing from people who are using hotkey-aids.  So to take this lazy incompetent way out is...lazy and incompetent.  Remember, these are people who paid $60 for the box.  It's F2P after that, but it's $60 to get in the door.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 05:50:58 AM »
But hey, Corporations don't make stupid, irrational decisions. </ sarcasm >
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 06:24:38 AM »
If this was true it would be headlines on every major MMO game site.  It'll be up there like the time Blizzard banned the openly gay guild "to protect them" from possible abuse.

GW2 rules enforcement reminds me of Singapore and not the Netherlands.  Very strict enforcement.  Arrest first, determine the facts second.

They have repeatedly stated that they don't have a problem with macro keyboard or mice software as long as the macro only does one thing.  No auto chaining attacks.  No auto-movement macros (like one button circle strafe).  If the servers see repetitive series of commands coming in at a rate either deemed too quick or too regular the account may be automatically flagged as a potential bot.  If you don't respond to chat, if you play without break for 10 hours, not even a momentary pause to consult your map or inventory orf you do the same 4 or 5 zone events over and over again as they spawn every hour you may be flagged as a bot.

They don't automatically ban for being a suspected bot, they don't have a bot for that.  The suspected activity is looked at by a real human being and then the ban is triggered.  There is also a review process which can unfortunately take several days but they try to get it done within three.

Players also have complain about being banned for profanity ("why is there a profanity filter then?") on zone wide channels.  They can also be banned, and this is automated, with large transfers of gold between players.  A number of people get swept up by this recently when they twinked a friend who just got the game with what amounts to a small fortune in gold as a holiday gift.

And of course there was that perma ban of 4800 players who abused an exploit to the tune of 1.5 million times over a day or two.  There are players on the forum that still say that was unfair.

Now I'm nodding off as I'm writing this so I'll pick this up again tomorrow.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 08:29:31 AM »
If this was true it would be headlines on every major MMO game site.  It'll be up there like the time Blizzard banned the openly gay guild "to protect them" from possible abuse.

As with many, many other things, those who have been acted against have to complain openly (not just on the game forums) and in numbers before anyone will notice.  As I said, Wolf is here now and I am going to find out if he can get me some names, and we'll turn the journalists loose on it.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 03:38:40 PM »
It would be good if some of the affected people can give you copies of their correspondence with ArenaNet unsuccessfully trying to get the problem resolved. That's something a journalist would be very interested in.

As it is, it's hard to go by just people complaining on the forums. My (and I'm sure many other people's) experience with people complaining on forums about game bans is that 9 out of 10 are liars, trying to get sympathy or fool CS to reinstate their account after being caught cheating.

Granted that's from the Blizzard forums, not the GW2 ones, but unless there's a solid chain showing that a legitimate user of assistance software was banned, and given the cold shoulder when trying to appeal it (after all, mistakes happen in automated ban-sweeps), then I doubt any of the major outlets will bite.

Peregrine Falcon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 05:36:58 PM »
To quickly sum up Kaiser Tarantula's post on the other thread, it is evidently ridiculously easy to differentiate genuine bots from people using hotkey aids...
Not necessarily.

First of all ArenaNet isn't deliberately banning handicapped people just because they, or NCSoft, wants to. A business has no reason to do that and frankly I'm a little disappointed that you, of all people, would even advance this kind of theory.

Secondly I don't care how reliable your friend is. If he's listening to internet rumors then his information isn't reliable.

Third. ArenaNet isn't Blizzard. Heck they aren't even Perfect World. You think it's easy to tell the difference between a hotkey aid for the handicapped and a real bot? Ok fine. Here's 153,852 reports of botting that the player base has sent in. You have 2 days to thoroughly investigate all of those reports.

What? You can't do that in 2 days all by yourself? Well, since Guild Wars 2 doesn't have a subscription fee they simply do not have the staff to give you 100 assistants. Maybe they can find you 1 or 2 people to help out. So now that's 3 people. Who now have 2 days to sort through all 153,852 reports.

Yes I'm pulling numbers out of thin air, but I would hope that I've made my point. Look, I know that "NCSoft is the devil!!!!!" around here, and I'm not even disagreeing with that. But as mature, responsible adults we should try to avoid this kind of emotional over reaction and witch hunting. Especially when it's about a subject (software coding) that you know nothing about.

You might also want to consider that since this community is trying to convince NCSoft to sell the City of Heroes IP to another corporation do we really want to antagonize them by stirring up more bad PR against them and/or ArenaNet? Even if it's true? Is it really in our best interests to get them mad at us?
Paragon City refugee - "We're heroes, it's what we do."

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 06:06:17 PM »
Not necessarily.

First of all ArenaNet isn't deliberately banning handicapped people just because they, or NCSoft, wants to. A business has no reason to do that and frankly I'm a little disappointed that you, of all people, would even advance this kind of theory.
Seriously, this right here -- this forum topic ("GW2 Reportedly Banning the Handicapped") is a textbook example of yellow journalism.  Let's be a little more classy, please?
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 07:27:16 PM »
Seriously, this right here -- this forum topic ("GW2 Reportedly Banning the Handicapped") is a textbook example of yellow journalism.  Let's be a little more classy, please?

That's not really relevant. Is it deliberate? Of course not. It's over-compensating for a problem that exists in a heavily-competitive gaming environment.

But sadly, this is the only thing that gets a corporation's attention. Let's not forget that NCsoft never even made their own public statement about the shutdown of CoH until AFTER what was quite probably the biggest in-game protest since the SWG NGE riots.

It's not about being petty. It's the sad reality, that most companies won't budge unless they see a threat to their reputation. That it's morally "right" to research this issue and teach the client to discern the difference between handicap aids and combat bots means nothing to a business. It will cost them man-hours to do such a fix, and they won't want to bother. The only way they will, is if it becomes more of a problem NOT to do anything about it.

Unless someone has the money necessary to take them to court over it. But if anyone around here had that kind of dough, we'd already own the CoH IP.

P.S. If their 3rd-party software detection methods are as broad as what is being suggested now, even something like the Razor app is ban-worthy, and that's just sad.

RandomUnicorn

• Underling
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 07:48:56 PM »
Third. ArenaNet isn't Blizzard. Heck they aren't even Perfect World. You think it's easy to tell the difference between a hotkey aid for the handicapped and a real bot? Ok fine. Here's 153,852 reports of botting that the player base has sent in. You have 2 days to thoroughly investigate all of those reports.

If a company fails to provide the tools and personnel necessary to investigate reports of cheating and instead takes the "cheap" way out by doing blanket bans that disproportionately target the disabled then it doesn't matter if it's Blizzard, Perfect World or Arena Net, they are in the wrong.

Cheating and farming have been around and  a well known problem in the industry since long before the first lines of code were written for the game. If their computer code and business model failed to set aside resources to realistically combat the problem then it is their own fault, and not that of the innocent player. The problem should be fixed at their expense, not that of the players who are disabled.

Using your own example, if just 1% of those reports are accurate then the company has already made $70,000+ just off of selling the game to the cheaters and I would expect them to invest a lot more then $700 ( The cost for a GM and 2 assistants to work for 2 days.) to catch them. Furthermore with only 1% of the reports being accurate they need to overhaul their entire system for catching cheaters since they could arguably get better results by pulling random accounts out of a hat.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 08:06:37 PM »
If a company fails to provide the tools and personnel necessary to investigate reports of cheating and instead takes the "cheap" way out by doing blanket bans that disproportionately target the disabled then it doesn't matter if it's Blizzard, Perfect World or Arena Net, they are in the wrong.
How do you know if it's "disproportionately target the disabled"?  The first round of bot banning mid December was just 38,000 accounts.  We don't know how many false positives and how many of those are players with a handicap that some mechanical assistance is needed to play.

RandomUnicorn

• Underling
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 08:58:29 PM »
How do you know if it's "disproportionately target the disabled"?  The first round of bot banning mid December was just 38,000 accounts.  We don't know how many false positives and how many of those are players with a handicap that some mechanical assistance is needed to play.

You may want direct your post to Peregrine Falcon since he is the one who I was replying to and chose to use "What If" numbers and a scenario of insufficient resources to handle the problem. He is also the one proposing that it would be difficult to tell the "difference between a hotkey aid for the handicapped and a real bot" which implies that disabled people were more likely to be mistaken for real bots and thus banned.

Finally, I opened my statement with the word "IF" as in "If what you have said and implied in your third point is true then I don't think your third point is a valid defense for Arena Net because..."  and I continued to use the word IF and pointing out that the statements PF made were "Examples" and not facts.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 09:07:22 PM by RandomUnicorn »

Peregrine Falcon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 09:07:15 PM »
Perhaps I didn't do a very good job making my point. Please allow me to try again.

Which scenario is the more likely?

1) ArenaNet is filled full of evil people who enjoy banning handicapped people from their games.

2) Guild Wars 2, like many MMOs, has a problem with botting. A problem that they are trying to combat by developing and refining their detection and banning methods. The botters are fighting back by improving and refining their methods as well. Any time you ban thousands of accounts you're going to get a few false positives. Not because people are evil or incompetent, but simply because nothing is perfect.

Now taking Occam's Razor into account, which of the above two scenarios is the more likely?

Also, if someone was banned in error they can and should file a support ticket and customer service (which is slammed at the moment according to the community manager) will examine the situation and fix it.

A few people running whatever scripts in the background and getting banned in error because of it is a failure rate far less than 1%. Simply put these things happen and rather than just go off the deep end and automatically assume that the folks at ArenaNet are being evil jerks why don't we instead wait a week or two and see if they resolve the situation correctly?

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 12:14:13 AM »
That's not really relevant. Is it deliberate? Of course not. It's over-compensating for a problem that exists in a heavily-competitive gaming environment.

But sadly, this is the only thing that gets a corporation's attention. Let's not forget that NCsoft never even made their own public statement about the shutdown of CoH until AFTER what was quite probably the biggest in-game protest since the SWG NGE riots.

It's not about being petty. It's the sad reality, that most companies won't budge unless they see a threat to their reputation. That it's morally "right" to research this issue and teach the client to discern the difference between handicap aids and combat bots means nothing to a business. It will cost them man-hours to do such a fix, and they won't want to bother. The only way they will, is if it becomes more of a problem NOT to do anything about it.

Unless someone has the money necessary to take them to court over it. But if anyone around here had that kind of dough, we'd already own the CoH IP.

P.S. If their 3rd-party software detection methods are as broad as what is being suggested now, even something like the Razor app is ban-worthy, and that's just sad.
So, it seems like you and VV need to take a break. 

Why? Because you're both coming across with a serious case of bloodlust and it's not helping.  VV's OP is an overthetop exaggeration based on one person and paints a nefarious scheme that NCsoft has concocted when in fact it is more than likely a few people have been identified as false positives.  The statement is libelous and you're trying to justify it, which is simply mind-boggling. And then you dragged CoH into it, as if we were entitled to a public statement beyond the initial announcement.  I want City of Heroes back too, but this isn't the way to do it, and frankly, cooler minds need to address this issue after there's been sufficient time to do any sort of practical research.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 02:19:50 AM »
Why? Because you're both coming across with a serious case of bloodlust and it's not helping.  VV's OP is an overthetop exaggeration based on one person and paints a nefarious scheme that NCsoft has concocted when in fact it is more than likely a few people have been identified as false positives.  The statement is libelous and you're trying to justify it, which is simply mind-boggling. And then you dragged CoH into it, as if we were entitled to a public statement beyond the initial announcement.  I want City of Heroes back too, but this isn't the way to do it, and frankly, cooler minds need to address this issue after there's been sufficient time to do any sort of practical research.

Wanting CoH back has nothing to do with it. You completely missed the point. I merely used the Unity Rally as an example of how much noise it takes to even make a corporation blink. NCsoft's website was completely devoid of any news regarding CoH's shutdown. Considering that their main website is there as a news source for ALL of their properties, that CoH didn't even get a footnote except as a response to the rally is staggering.

Also, notice this thread is in Other Games, not Save Paragon. This would be a bad thing regardless of who was doing it. I also don't see anyone blaming NCsoft for this. The worst I have seen is the question, "Is Arenanet doing this on their own, or is the strictness coming from higher up?"

Furthermore, if it isn't libel to accuse a company that producing violent video games as being responsible for gun-related massacres (this has probably happened a few thousand times) then it certainly isn't libel to say that Arenanet is banning handicapped players. That they're just casualties in a war on bots is irrelevant. The thread title says they're Banning the Handicapped, not that they're intentionally doing it.

And my original statement about what it takes to even have a CHANCE at convincing a corporation to change anything, still stands. If there isn't a threat of some kind, they see no point in changing anything. And that's not war-mongering. That's just how businesses think. If they can get away with it, they do it.

Adelante

• Boss
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 02:40:53 AM »

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 02:51:41 AM »
So, it seems like you and VV need to take a break. 

Wow you sure as hell took everything I said out of context.

What I SAID is that according to my friend, who actually knows some of these people, they are being banned, and when they attempted to get redress, they were dismissed and were told they would remain banned. 

I also said I didn't know if this was coming from ArenaNet or an NCSoft edict and that I was just going to collect some data and turn real journalists loose on it.  Because whether you realize it or not, I actually have work and a job to do to pay the bills, and helping as 1/4 of Team Wildcard is pretty much taking up all of my available time.

And that this is pretty heinous, because it's perfectly easy, according to Kaiser Tarantula, to tell the difference between a bot and someone using kb helps.

I think you and PI need to start actually reading what I write, and not what you think I wrote.

Peregrine Falcon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 03:08:50 AM »
And that this is pretty heinous, because it's perfectly easy, according to Kaiser Tarantula, to tell the difference between a bot and someone using kb helps.
And as I explained earlier your friend, Kaiser Tarantula is wrong. I've even given several reasons as to why that is.

As I said before, which is more likely? That the evil folks at ArenaNet are banning handicapped people for fun, or that a few mistakes were made?

Please, before you go to any game journalists with anything make sure that you have screenshots of ArenaNet's responses where they specifically say "we know you're handicapped but we're still not going to unban you." And then have an expert check to verify that they weren't photoshopped.

And you do realize that, even if you're right, if you go to the media and they run with it that it'll only make NCSoft more angry at us and less likely to give us what we want.

All I'm asking is that you think before you act. Please.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 03:28:08 AM »
Once I go to journalists with it, IF I find good reason to address this, no one will know it originated with me, or anyone associated with Titan. 

This is basically crap coding and laziness, but it is unfair that someone who has paid $60 gets banned because, essentially, they're handicapped and need game help.  And the only way anything will actually get done about it in a reasonable length of time is if the guilty party gets a media nastygram. 

Servantes

• Minion
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2013, 03:38:30 AM »
And as I explained earlier your friend, Kaiser Tarantula is wrong. I've even given several reasons as to why that is.

As I said before, which is more likely? That the evil folks at ArenaNet are banning handicapped people for fun, or that a few mistakes were made?

Please, before you go to any game journalists with anything make sure that you have screenshots of ArenaNet's responses where they specifically say "we know you're handicapped but we're still not going to unban you." And then have an expert check to verify that they weren't photoshopped.

And you do realize that, even if you're right, if you go to the media and they run with it that it'll only make NCSoft more angry at us and less likely to give us what we want.

All I'm asking is that you think before you act. Please.

At this point and time it would be Damned if you do, Damned if you don't.

What matters is its pointed out if NCSoft or Arena Net is doing more Wrong then Right, if it carries over to effect us, so be it, but any injustice from them go by is worse then doing nothing.

And I believe they wouldn't post this willy nilly bad without a reason, especially when how badly it can turn around.

Peregrine Falcon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2013, 03:47:50 AM »
Once I go to journalists with it, IF I find good reason to address this, no one will know it originated with me, or anyone associated with Titan.
Really? Do you really think that the folks at NCSoft don't know about this forum? I'm not saying that they read it on a daily basis, but they could. And thanks to various archives around the internet even if this thread is deleted right now they could still end up reading it at a later date.

This is basically crap coding and laziness, but it is unfair that someone who has paid $60 gets banned because, essentially, they're handicapped and need game help.
You don't know that's what's happened. They've banned tens of thousands of botters in the last couple of months. How many handicapped people does your friend know? 3? 4? That's less than one tenth of one percent. That's well within the margin of error for any human endeavor.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2013, 04:01:10 AM »
They've banned tens of thousands of botters in the last couple of months. How many handicapped people does your friend know? 3? 4? That's less than one tenth of one percent. That's well within the margin of error for any human endeavor.

It's an error when casualties get caught in a crossfire. When you don't do anything to repair the damage, that's not an error. That's negligence.

Peregrine Falcon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2013, 04:17:38 AM »
Take a look at this thread:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/support/account/Account-Issue-Follow-ups-Updated-Regularly/page/2#post1130780

They're trying to help as many people as they can as fast as they can. And they're being very transparent about it.

Please don't let the blood that's in the water around here for NCSoft splash on ArenaNet. Don't assume they're automatically in the wrong. And please, just think before you act. That's all that I'm asking.

Servantes

• Minion
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2013, 04:30:28 AM »
What's it called when a group of people agree on a subject but argue anyways?

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2013, 04:34:13 AM »
A Monte Python skit?  :shrugs:

/I came here for an argument! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 04:53:16 AM »

The Internet.  8)

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2013, 05:27:34 AM »

A family.  :roll:

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2013, 05:43:22 AM »
I really wish more people would have the perspective that posts in forums such as these are discussions not announcements and declarations of some half-cocked officiality.
The key word in the subject title is "Reportedly".
The original post is clearly just a "hey, here's what I was just told... I'm going to try and find out more!".

So, all that being said and, hopefully, understood...

The only thing I'll say is that when you are one of the affected people, it's not as simple as being just a miniscule percentage of an error.

Anyway, I certainly hope that they'll be doing well and right by people wrongfully banned.
It's honestly an interesting angle of gaming and game protection that I had not considered before... Some games really do need to prevent automated setups, so I can see there being legitimate reasons for wanting to prevent any and all such activity (I am not saying it is or isn't so for this particular game, as I have never played it and know next-to-nothing about it). Don't get me wrong, if it's not necessary and/or it should be handled entirely upfront and all that... plus, there should absolutely be options and games for such people in need of automation... all I am saying (risking being seen as entirely insensitive to some people's special needs... even though I am most assuredly NOT insensitive to that), it may actually be okay if a game did decide that they do not allow such automated devices (if you can really see that it would be a major advantage and/or create some sort of imbalances and such).
I say all that also believing that most such options can probably be balanced out and worked so that the handicapped and otherwise assisted players would not have a problem and/or create any problems.
In the end though, I don't honestly view it as a complete travesty IF a particular game just doesn't allow for it.
I would, however, expect compensations, full refunds and all that.

Anyway, hah... my main point was actually just going to be that... when you live through that sort of stuff 24/7, if it is not needed and you're treated like that... being just a tiny percentage of human error is sort of the point of being rather critical about it.
I (and they more-so than me) know, however, that not everyone takes such lifestyles into consideration.

Anyway, I hope it all works out for everyone involved.

One of the great things I learned, over the years, was how many injured, disabled, handicapped, assisted players were able to enjoy CoH. It was another aspect that quite possibly contributed to the friendly and positive atmosphere in and around the game.
That being said, that was a special case and I do not believe that every other game out there will, or should, match up to CoH's standards. That's what the best are for... being better. ;)

Okay, enough rambling from me... I have other posts I was supposed to reply to... and now probably won't because I spent my allotted 5 minutes posting this one, lol. :roll: ;D
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2013, 10:18:51 AM »
Really? Do you really think that the folks at NCSoft don't know about this forum? I'm not saying that they read it on a daily basis, but they could. And thanks to various archives around the internet even if this thread is deleted right now they could still end up reading it at a later date.

Nope.  They can't read it, unless they demand some poor peon go over to Starbucks with his laptop and report back.  Codewalker blocked them at the IP level.

Xieveral

• Chaotic Neutral
  • Boss
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2013, 11:32:12 AM »
Also, you can't play the game at an Internet Cafe or risk being banned?  Wow.  I didn't know that before I went and looked just now.

Considering how popular internet cafes focused on gaming are in the east, that is strange. They probably look the other way for that one.

Nope.  They can't read it, unless they demand some poor peon go over to Starbucks with his laptop and report back.  Codewalker blocked them at the IP level.

Unfortunately, IP blocks are quite easy to get around (foolish as they are, I'm sure NCsoft knows a thing or two about the internet) Also, what's to stop them from spying on us from their home computers? Unless the people behind the scenes here have access to the appropriate information to block their personal devices. (if so... damn, you guys are scary!)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 11:40:34 AM by Xieveral »
?RSN = CKN(CRS.ROD)

RSN = GLR(EMP.MCL)

Peregrine Falcon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2013, 12:34:35 PM »
Unfortunately, IP blocks are quite easy to get around...
Yes. This is my point exactly. While I know who VV is, I don't know her personally. So I don't know if I should read the OP in a hysterical tone of voice or as if it's being read aloud by Mr. Spock.

But I do know that every technical statement that she's made in this thread is incorrect. I'm concerned that her lack of knowledge may cause her to draw an incorrect conclusion. If it were anyone else in the community I'd make one post and be done with it. I think we all know that she's something of a special case though, given her ability to get the media to really listen to her should she choose to do so. I'm concerned about the damage to our cause that taking this issue to the media could create.

I apologize if I've misconstrued anything that you've written VV, or if I've given offense. I'm really only trying to advise.

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2013, 01:17:31 PM »
Also, notice this thread is in Other Games, not Save Paragon. This would be a bad thing regardless of who was doing it. I also don't see anyone blaming NCsoft for this. The worst I have seen is the question, "Is Arenanet doing this on their own, or is the strictness coming from higher up?"
Actually, the quote was "NCsoft edict" not "Arenanet or NCsoft", which has a bit more weight. And regardless if this is posted in a different subforum, Titan is still associated with City of Heroes and is collecitvely smarting from the shutdown.  If you're thoroughly convinced that this is a black hat plan, then I advise you take it to ablegamer.com, a platform where this is a central issue, and let them pursue it if they so wish.

Furthermore, if it isn't libel to accuse a company that producing violent video games as being responsible for gun-related massacres (this has probably happened a few thousand times) then it certainly isn't libel to say that Arenanet is banning handicapped players. That they're just casualties in a war on bots is irrelevant. The thread title says they're Banning the Handicapped, not that they're intentionally doing it.
First, let's not bring gun control into this.  It's a sensitive topic and, frankly, I don't think anyone here is making such an accusation.  So just let that one go.  Second, the statement "GW2 Reportedly Banning the Handicapped" connotes GW2 is targetting those people, which is clearly not the place.  It is sensationalizing the situation.

And my original statement about what it takes to even have a CHANCE at convincing a corporation to change anything, still stands. If there isn't a threat of some kind, they see no point in changing anything. And that's not war-mongering. That's just how businesses think. If they can get away with it, they do it.
Considering every account petition is getting a review (glancing through PI's link), I'm really not convinced of that.  Again, you guys are on this like white on rice -- given where you're coming from, your motive is suspect, regardless of the circumstances.  Flip it over to cooler minds like ablegamer, that have a more clearly defined and longstanding vested interest and let them look into it (or even sign up over there and discuss it with them).

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2013, 01:25:47 PM »
Wow you sure as hell took everything I said out of context.

Aren't you the same person who posted this?

Would you want to mess with this?

What I SAID is that according to my friend, who actually knows some of these people, they are being banned, and when they attempted to get redress, they were dismissed and were told they would remain banned. 

I also said I didn't know if this was coming from ArenaNet or an NCSoft edict and that I was just going to collect some data and turn real journalists loose on it.  Because whether you realize it or not, I actually have work and a job to do to pay the bills, and helping as 1/4 of Team Wildcard is pretty much taking up all of my available time.

Yes, you're 1/4 of Team Wildcard and a very vocal (as well as relatively high-profile) person in the SaveCOH movement, and yet you have a habit of posting things that can so easily be misconstrued and discredit us.   And frankly, you said a lot more than just that as you already made judgement on the situation -- re-read your first sentence in the OP:

OK.  THIS is just wrong on so many levels I cannot even begin to count them.

It really reads as if you've made judgement, are now looking for the evidence to support it, and already have the plan to go the press. Assuming you're "Misty" in that quoted conversation, you even go so far as to suggest ADA should launch a lawsuit. I'm pretty sure I didn't take things out of context so much as that you are one of the few people in particular that need to post more responsibly.

I think you and PI need to start actually reading what I write, and not what you think I wrote.

Here's the thing -- we're not against you.  But, we both read your post and had the same reaction - ALARM.  Right or wrong, what you may have intended to write, does not appear to have come across that way.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 03:00:16 PM by therain93 »

Servantes

• Minion
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2013, 03:18:52 PM »
Aren't you the same person who posted this?

Yes, you're 1/4 of Team Wildcard and a very vocal (as well as relatively high-profile) person in the SaveCOH movement, and yet you have a habit of posting things that can so easily be misconstrued and discredit us.   And frankly, you said a lot more than just that as you already made judgement on the situation -- re-read your first sentence in the OP:

It really reads as if you've made judgement, are now looking for the evidence to support it, and already have the plan to go the press. Assuming you're "Misty" in that quoted conversation, you even go so far as to suggest ADA should launch a lawsuit. I'm pretty sure I didn't take things out of context so much as that you are one of the few people in particular that need to post more responsibly.

Here's the thing -- we're not against you.  But, we both read your post and had the same reaction - ALARM.  Right or wrong, what you may have intended to write, does not appear to have come across that way.

Summery: Use more Emote Con's VV.  :P

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2013, 04:57:56 PM »
Summery: Use more Emote Con's VV.  :P
Are the other 86% of your posts more productive, or at least wittier?  ( ' :
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 05:04:05 PM by therain93 »

Servantes

• Minion
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2013, 05:14:58 PM »
Are the other 86% of your posts more productive, or at least wittier?  ( ' :
nope, there's enough people trying to be intelligent, I need to fill out the bottom end. 8)

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2013, 05:57:26 PM »
nope, there's enough people trying to be intelligent, I need to fill out the bottom end. 8)
You are what you aspire to be, but that doesn't mean we lower the bar for you ( ' :

Servantes

• Minion
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2013, 06:01:34 PM »
You are what you aspire to be, but that doesn't mean we lower the bar for you ( ' :
well we can keep spouting irrelevance to one another raising our post count, but I suppose that's what you want.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2013, 07:43:57 PM »
Actually, the quote was "NCsoft edict" not "Arenanet or NCsoft", which has a bit more weight. And regardless if this is posted in a different subforum, Titan is still associated with City of Heroes and is collecitvely smarting from the shutdown.  If you're thoroughly convinced that this is a black hat plan, then I advise you take it to ablegamer.com, a platform where this is a central issue, and let them pursue it if they so wish.

And that "NCsoft edict" was posed as a QUESTION, not a STATEMENT. And the paragraph ended with "But that is what I will let the journalists try and figure out."

What that means is: "The answer to the question is not known, but we will hopefully find out the answer."

What that does NOT mean is: "We are going to tell the news media that NCsoft is ordering Arenanet to discriminate against the handicapped."

First, let's not bring gun control into this.  It's a sensitive topic and, frankly, I don't think anyone here is making such an accusation.  So just let that one go.  Second, the statement "GW2 Reportedly Banning the Handicapped" connotes GW2 is targetting those people, which is clearly not the place.  It is sensationalizing the situation.

Seriously... do you just have no idea how to take examples for what they are without turning the example into the focus of the conversation? Or do you just do it automatically to turn my words into something they're not? This is the second time you've done it to me in this thread now now. What I said had NOTHING to do with gun control. I was pointing out that journalists do far worse than "GW2 Reportedly Banning the Handicapped" without getting accused of libel. And I used it because it's an example that all gamers have been able to relate to ever since Columbine. If you really thought that I was trying to derail by turning it into a gun control debate, I suggest you just stop reading this thread right now, because you're probably not processing a single statement within its intended context.

Considering every account petition is getting a review (glancing through PI's link), I'm really not convinced of that.  Again, you guys are on this like white on rice -- given where you're coming from, your motive is suspect, regardless of the circumstances.  Flip it over to cooler minds like ablegamer, that have a more clearly defined and longstanding vested interest and let them look into it (or even sign up over there and discuss it with them).

Given the way you've treated the examples I've used in this thread so far, you seem guilty of the very thing you're accusing me of. You're seeing things that completely aren't there. Seems like you have an axe of your own to grind, considering the assumptions you're making about my point of view on this.

Are you telling me that I CAN'T look at this from a neutral point-of-view? The only thing that has me jaded is CoH disaster at all. Were this any company unrelated to NCsoft, I'd be equally concerned about it. Has the fall of Paragon influenced that vigilance? Sure it has. But that doesn't mean I'm in this discussion JUST because it's NCsoft. I've already wondered on and off if humanity's technologically-integrated society has reached a point now where online gaming communities need their own "whistle blower" organization to help maintain the balance between business and consumer. I wondered that even before I heard that CoH is shutting down. And I've wondered if Titan will evolve into such an entity. I don't know if it's necessary though. At least not yet. But the dispensability of large groups of gamers certainly seems to be on the rise in light of recent news BESIDES CoH, so regardless of whether the 'gamescape' has already reached that point, we're definitely heading toward it.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2013, 08:42:29 PM »
Reportedly Senator Fatbottom Blowhard keeps nubile young teens as sex slaves in his mansion.

But that is what I will let the journalists try and figure out.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2013, 09:43:48 PM »
Reportedly Senator Fatbottom Blowhard keeps nubile young teens as sex slaves in his mansion. But that is what I will let the journalists try and figure out.

Link pls.

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2013, 10:03:53 PM »
How do you know if it's "disproportionately target the disabled"?  The first round of bot banning mid December was just 38,000 accounts.

I don't care the reason, I just am here loving how a company can re-appropiate $2,280,000 worth of product without giving out a single refund.
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

I'm signing off and taking a break, blindly hope things change.

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2013, 10:17:26 PM »
Reportedly Senator Fatbottom Blowhard keeps nubile young teens as sex slaves in his mansion.

But that is what I will let the journalists try and figure out.
Link pls.

Heck I just want a link to Senator Fatbottom Blowhard's ID! With a name like that, who cares if it's true or not!
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

I'm signing off and taking a break, blindly hope things change.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2013, 10:37:06 PM »
Heck I just want a link to Senator Fatbottom Blowhard's ID! With a name like that, who cares if it's true or not!

The creation of a toon named Senator Fatbottom Blowhard: Reason #94857195 to bring back CoH.

Nightmarer

• Boss
  • We all float down here
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2013, 10:44:06 PM »
Perhaps I didn't do a very good job making my point. Please allow me to try again.

Which scenario is the more likely?

1) ArenaNet is filled full of evil people who enjoy banning handicapped people from their games.

2) Guild Wars 2, like many MMOs, has a problem with botting. A problem that they are trying to combat by developing and refining their detection and banning methods. The botters are fighting back by improving and refining their methods as well. Any time you ban thousands of accounts you're going to get a few false positives. Not because people are evil or incompetent, but simply because nothing is perfect.

Now taking Occam's Razor into account, which of the above two scenarios is the more likely?

Also, if someone was banned in error they can and should file a support ticket and customer service (which is slammed at the moment according to the community manager) will examine the situation and fix it.

A few people running whatever scripts in the background and getting banned in error because of it is a failure rate far less than 1%. Simply put these things happen and rather than just go off the deep end and automatically assume that the folks at ArenaNet are being evil jerks why don't we instead wait a week or two and see if they resolve the situation correctly?

Just curious, what about scenario 3? I'd say there's also a high chance of NCSoft/ArenaNet/whoever, being GW2 a non subscription game is not really interested on hiring staff to thoroughly check said issues, they just cashed the money and now they do the easy thing, if in doubt, ban the player and move onto next one.-

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2013, 11:14:18 PM »
(I need to bookmark my modhat image...)

This thread seems to have wandered down some very dark alleyways in its meandering.  It seems that any points relevant to the original post have already been made, so I'm going to go ahead and lock this before it gets any further out of hand and we actually have to start taking action against any specific individuals.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov