Author Topic: Perspective  (Read 2802 times)

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Perspective
« on: December 31, 2012, 06:29:24 PM »
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
Re: Perspective
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 09:09:32 PM »
Again: were the games still profiting?

If so, have we just reached a breaking point with entitlement issues in business where owning a gold mine is no longer good enough to satisfy anyone? Does the gold have to sprout legs, dislodge itself from the rock, and refine itself as well?

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 10:09:14 PM »
For the EA games, I also wonder about the ability to play the game offline after those servers go dark, which I suspect most you can; I'm assuming Zynga is exclusively online, which stinks for those players.
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 11:03:46 PM »
Given the way Zynga operates its games, or its business, for that matter, is there any way of knowing if they were profitable? It could just be the 13 (there are a couple more that will shut down by the middle of January) least populated games.

Also, Russia has reclassified beer as an alcoholic beverage rather than a food. Dark days ahead, tovarisch...
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Little Green Frog

• Boss
  • @Little Green Frog
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 11:11:33 PM »
Zynga has hit a bumpy road this past year (it's already 2013 from where I write) and lost its strategic partnership with Facebook, so yeah. This news is not surprising to anyone who follows the web and startup scene.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 02:18:58 AM »
Almost all of the EA games are old console games, some of them five years or more. Most of them had limited online presence anyway (e.g. Sims 2 [itself only a couple months younger than City] had a website you could upload/download custom parts/people/houses but no actual interaction in the game). I am not surprised at most of those at all. EA is constantly pushing its gamers to play the newer versions of its games.

The Zynga thing is a little more surprising, but they've been bleeding both money and players in the last year since the app boom really came around. Anyone can make and publish apps, most of which are free and are not as restricted and money-grubbing as Zynga games.

I was really sad to see Draw Something get bought by Zynga earlier this year, and have been fearing for its 'life' since.

For the EA games, I also wonder about the ability to play the game offline after those servers go dark, which I suspect most you can; I'm assuming Zynga is exclusively online, which stinks for those players.
Yes, almost all the games EA is shutting down also include an offline version. You can continue to play the single-player game if it has one. The games for Facebook obviously don't. You just can't team up with your Xbox/PS3 buddies and play maps from separate houses. You'll have to actually [gasp] face-to-face interact. :-O
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 02:30:58 AM »