Author Topic: "Real Life" City of Heroes Costumes  (Read 1454 times)

djonehitwonder

• Minion
"Real Life" City of Heroes Costumes
« on: December 30, 2012, 07:07:28 AM »
Not sure if it's exactly kosher to post about this here, but I think it's relevant to our interests as City of Heroes players.  I'm running an IndieGoGo campaign to raise funds to buy supplies to make samples of costume pieces inspired by those available in the costume creator.  It ends at 11:59pm PT on December 30th, so there's only one day left.

But first, let me tell you a bit more about me.  I started playing CoH in May of 2004 and became a DJ for The Cape Radio in July of 2004.  I got divorced in early 2005 and had to quit both for awhile as I rebuilt my life and moved across the country.  I started back up with both again in 2006, took time off here and there due to finances and moving again, got laid off in 2009 and started working on starting my own business and getting a college degree, and eventually ended up in New Hampshire.  In August, I married another Cape DJ that I would never have met if not for CoH.  This game was my home and my anchor through some turbulent times and led me to where I am now, the happiest I've ever been. 

I'm even using my CoH nickname, Wondie (short for One Hit Wonder) as the persona behind my business, and I readily answer to it as easily as I do my real name.  So it's really not a stretch for me to want to incorporate CoH into my business somehow.  I make and sell handmade and upcycled jewelry, clothing, costumes, accessories, and other fun and geeky stuff.  Up until recently, I was mostly doing jewelry, but the plan has always been to get more clothing and costumes into my product lines.  Of course, in order to do this, I need samples, and in order to make samples, I need supplies, and in order to get supplies, I need money.  Thus the IndieGoGo campaign.

My ultimate goal is to try and recreate as many pieces from the costume creator as possible, and then be able to customize them to the sizes and colors that people need to create their costumes.  The idea is to be able to mix and match the pieces much like you do in the costume creator and come up with your own unique look.

While I could just make the pieces for me and my husband, I think getting some different sizes and some ideas outside of my own into the equation will help me show that not only can I make these pieces for anyone, but they can be mixed and matched in numerous ways.  So I'm offering to do costumes for other people who contribute $100 to my IndieGoGo campaign.  I'm also holding a drawing for a free costume (or Rewondered wedding dress or $500 gift certificate to my shop, winner's choice) if I reach my goal.  Each $5 contributed is 1 entry into the drawing, in addition to the perks listed on the campaign page.  There's also a way to get an entry for sharing my campaign, details are on my blog here.

I am currently $60 from my goal, with about 25 hours to go.  And if a miracle happens and I am actually able to raise double my goal, I will double all the rewards.  And yes, draw two names for a free costume.  So if you have $5 or more to spare, and would care to contribute to this cause, please go to http://www.indiegogo.com/rewondered2

Thank you for taking the time to read this!  (Mods, if I am in violation of any rules here and this post needs to go away, I completely understand)