Author Topic: Update for Team Wildcard/TF "Hail Mary"  (Read 6509 times)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
Update for Team Wildcard/TF "Hail Mary"
« on: December 27, 2012, 03:16:38 AM »
We will actually have about 2 1/2 weeks before we need you Merry Pranksters to actually do anything.  The "do anything" will be similar to the Disney action: letters and cards.

We are waiting this long because my (Mercedes) husband has a very good friend who is high up in Google Ventures.  To catch the rest of you up, Darren just went on vacation to Panama and, as with many others at Google, will not be back for a couple of weeks.  But we did contact him and he is thinking about the situation and is going to go turn over rocks at Google Play for us.  We might get a positive response from Google Play, at which point Team Wildcard will have revised the pitch package to make it specific for Google (YES we are going to mention adding apps like Auction House monitoring and in-game chat) and we will send it to Google Play.

We may not get a positive response from Google Play.  But this is what my husband has to say.

My feeling on Google is that they will not be the solution but they will lead to the solution. That comes in part from the realization a wise man had about FedEx: they are not a package delivery company, they are a logistics company that delivers packages. Similarly, Google is built inside and out as a problem solver company that executes its tasks by connecting everything. For example Google Labs innovates software for cheap-and-free, but that gets monetized when they specialize it to specific companies and ventures. So I feel like Google's approach will not be "Let's buy your game," it will be "Let's find who will buy your game so we get a cut.Now, a good thing about Darren is that not only is he deep in Google culture he is also in authority. That means that if we can get him to put out the call INTERNALLY at Google that CoH is looking for a home, the Google employees that played CoH will have a rally point.  Again these are big Ifs but they have good stakes despite long odds.

Who knows, we may hear from Disney by then.  We may not, but if Disney gets word that Google is involved, they may decide to get interested. 

Or they may not, we pursue the Google option to whatever the end of that is, then we make our move from there.

So that's the plan.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

DarkCurrent

• Boss
Re: Update for Team Wildcard/TF "Hail Mary"
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 03:28:42 AM »
Apps I'd like to see:

character creator - can upload when you login to the game if you have free slots
costume editor - can change costumes at mobile tailor
Mids
Auction House
Paragon Market
Invention crafting
Base editor
AE interface

Be nice to do those types of things off-line and then login to your PC and voila' the game loads them for use.  I can't count the number of hours I spent crafting in-game when I much rather wish I was playing.  I'd pay for something like that.

Rigo42

• Minion
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 03:33:59 AM »
That would be nice but I am not even sure if thats possible as an App dark :O, but you never know with today's technology.

I can see Mids, The paragon market, and the Auction house working though
Awaiting the day I can return to my childhood-created hero :)

Ceremonius

• Lieutenant
  • Here we are now! Entertain us! ~Nirvana
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 03:43:57 AM »
Copy and paste from: http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,7504.msg

Hmm....some might be a good thing to get google involved.
"Getting their cut" doesn't really mean they have to see the allmighty $$$. It also could mean ingame advertisement (wich I don't mind as long as it is in form of NO popup, just a poster on a wall or something) and they would get free apps for their store by the community.
Also it could mean that CoH might get an ingame sort of browser wich directly leads to google.com, from where you can start surfing, checking your mails and so on.

The last one would be a great addition to our game.

Imagine: While you are ingame you have an idea of a build. And by using a web based mids you can check it on the fly. Same goes to apps, while you are not at home :).

Sounds good to me - where do I sign?
No Guts, No Glory! No Pain, No Gain!
One for all, all for one; Riders on the range!
No Guts, No Glory! We're taking a stand!
Ready to prove it again!
~Galaxy Rangers

Lucretia MacEvil

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 05:23:28 AM »
It's good to know that TF "Hail Mary" is getting ready for its next mission.

I assume the advance notice is to give us time to craft our letters/cards so that we can send them ASAP when you give the word?

LT. Couper

• Boss
  • The battle won't end until it's won!
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 05:53:37 AM »
Never thought I'd ever be excited about a TF longer than a Dr. Q, but TF Hail Mary is definately it.

I'd also like to see a costume creator app, if not a full blown character creator. Maybe an SG base maker as well?

(On a completely unrelated note; How many posts until the rank of "Boss"? At the moment, I'm a Leiutenant and thats perfect with me. ;D)

@LT. Couper  8)
"Heroes may die, but heroism never shall." ~Cyrus "Breakneck" Thompson

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 07:18:16 AM »
It's good to know that TF "Hail Mary" is getting ready for its next mission.

I assume the advance notice is to give us time to craft our letters/cards so that we can send them ASAP when you give the word?

Absolutely
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

unladenswallow

• Lieutenant
  • "Are you suggesting Coconuts Migrate?"
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 04:07:37 PM »
Thanks for the update.
"The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." -Thomas Paine

Blue Pulsar

• Boss
  • Epic Mediocrity
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 07:00:52 PM »
Team WC really has their ducks in a row. I'm so glad that they are here and know what they are doing, and having V.V. at the helm is an extra added bonus. Thanks for the new info.
Blue Pulsar - 50 nrg/kin def - first toon - Liberty
Bane of Lanur - 52 nec/dark MM - Main vill - Liberty
Destan H. - 53 SS/FA brute - Farm/PvP hybrid - Freedom
Destan's Fury - 53 StJ/Regen brute - PvPer - Freedom
Destan's Shadow Gang - 53 Thug/Dark MM - PvPer - Freedom

tymothymichel

• Underling
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 07:09:29 PM »
Heck in some games you can even order pizza to be delivered...anything to get the game back.
Don't let stress kill you, let me help.

Timelord Tom

• RIP Timlord
  • Lieutenant
    • Paragon Radio Gallifrey
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 01:38:00 AM »
The App that might be useful and hasn't been mentioned is Chat, linked only to your Global Friends and Super Group chats.

That might even find me going out and getting a phone that can handle such Apps...

Talos Maltalomar

• Underling
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 02:02:46 AM »
i am so /signed would be a nice addition for the community.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 03:20:35 AM »
Suggestions for Apps at this time is extremely useful, since that is an excellent way to unobtrusively monetize the game and what I know about Apps is...not much.

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 05:20:33 AM »
Thank you for the update, VV. I'll ready my letters and such.

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 06:30:59 AM »
I know The Secret World has an in-game browser that hits Google already, so Google should be aware of that aspect....
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 06:34:51 AM »
Suggestions for Apps at this time is extremely useful, since that is an excellent way to unobtrusively monetize the game and what I know about Apps is...not much.

The World of Tanks Assistant is a small example of what could be done to tie a mobile device into an MMO, and the Tank Wiki for WoT is an example of a fan-developed reference tool for the game.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2012, 04:07:56 PM »

Okay then, well I had a few ideas. Some of these mimic and expand on some of City's more popular third party programs and websites but there's a couple originals too.

- Crisis Monitor: See which zone events and giant monsters are currently active, the time remaining until they end, and possibly the time remaining until they activate again. Track its progress if it has progress bars, for example the Adamastor respawn timer or the Seed of Hamidon's defeated Seedling counter. You could even set it to alert you if certain events begin on your selected, or any, server.
   What would be downright awesome is if there were an invisible camera at the scene, so you could view ingame footage on your device and see for yourself if anyone is responding or not. Probably not video due to technical limitations, but perhaps stillframe captures that updated every few seconds. In fact, an "invisible camera" like that could be well-suited to certain key locations around the entire city. Places like Atlas Plaza, DJ Zero, the Rikti Mothership, the site where Hamidon spawns, etc. It could allow player run events to go beyond ingame activities, and become a fun source of word-of-mouth advertising.

- Tracking Device (Sentinel): Displays certain info on your characters that you can view outside the game at any time. Things like backstory and costumes, origin and archetype, powersets and chosen powers. Current zone and /loc if logged in, last zone and /loc if logged out (or more appropriately, where they will log back in, in the case of SG bases), time remaining towards a dayjob badge if applicable. Current inf and contents of the various inventories, ie salvage, recipes, enhancements, inspirations. Even the state of their powers, such as active toggles and remaining time on temp powers like xp boosters.
   You can view some of this info for other players' characters as well, if they choose to make it public. Only characters specifically authorized by a player will be viewable this way, and only the information that player allows others to see. For example, you could allow others to see your origin and archetype, as well as your powersets and backstory, but not which specific powers you chose or your current /loc. If you choose not to make any info public, then it still tracks everything for your own use. You can also have an authorized list of users and set their viewing permissions individually. For example, you could let them see certain things about your characters that other users cannot, or even just let them see a specific list of characters such as those in a shared supergroup.

- Display Case (Badge Hunter): Chiefly this app acts as a database of all available ingame badges that characters can acquire, and the requirements for each. It also offers a checklist of which badges each character has already achieved, and their progress toward the rest. Additionally it lets you set your device's background picture to your character's portrait (from their /info description) overlaid with the artwork for any badge they have obtained. Or you can set your screen saver to a metal-plated, rotating 3d model of your chosen badge, complete with engraved title underneath and a pinback attachment on the reverse side. You could even arrange several favorites into a formation.

- Souvenir Room: This is similar to the badge display app, but lets you review your story arc souvenirs visually. It starts out as an empty back room, dingy and dusty. Each time that character passes certain milestones (like 10, 25, 50, 100, etc), the room "upgrades" and gets a little cleaner and better decorated. Each story arc souvenir has its own appearance, and when you gain one it gets added to the room. Some hang on the wall, some get story plaques, some get podiums or glass display cases. It's a tangible way to look back through your character's progress.

- Locator Beacon (VidiotMaps): This app provides interactive maps of all the zones.
   Place map markers at custom /loc co-ordinates, and attach text and screenshots to help organize events or preserve memories.
   Bring up info and screenshots of noteworthy areas near your location, like badges and history plaques.
   Get relevant neighborhood info like level ranges and enemy types.
   Find GM and zone event info like Eochai spawn points and Rikti dropship paths.
   Enter a destination and it puts together all the possible routes you can take to get there from where you are. It will list the zone connections required, any entry requirements necessary (such as Ouro or Midnighters' Club), level ranges of the zones you'll be passing through (and the neighborhoods you're likely to be passing through if you take a straight path), and provide info on how to find and access those connections. If you tell it your current character level it can warn you whether you'd be entering dangerous territory. It can also present just the best option, based on what's more important: shortest travel time, avoiding areas that are too high-level, or avoiding high-traffic areas (for those affected by lag).

- Arrest Record: This app shows pictures, background lore, and limited power info for the various enemies that you can encounter in the game. Every enemy group, every type in every rank, and every named EB and AV. Each time you encounter one in the game their picture unlocks, and it starts tracking how many times you've defeated that particular foe. I think it was HeroStats that "counted kills" that way, so we know a small client-side program can do it, and periodically it would send that info to the app. Active 3d models would be even better than pictures, but that may require too much storage space for what should be a simple app.

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2012, 04:13:24 PM »
Just to throw this in there on the apps front. Google already was hitting the store. If you blocked Google Analytics, you could not open the Paragon Store and buy anything, at all. So the  back end for at least the store already goes through Google.

golemjoe

• Minion
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2012, 04:16:18 PM »
I'd pay money for an app that allowed me to see inventory (toon's  + auction house).
It'd also be great to see current slotting for a toon.

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2012, 05:15:23 PM »
In game chat would be awesome! Been playng with bluetooth. My typing is way too slow.