Author Topic: Heroic Speechs - Reminders of what we fight for - Inspirations  (Read 3325 times)

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
Heroic Speechs - Reminders of what we fight for - Inspirations
« on: December 24, 2012, 06:27:45 PM »
We've got a good musical thread for that sort of thing going over here -

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,5025.0.html

And it occurred to me - what about some inspirational quotes from movies, books, etc? Stuff that calls to us?

Here's a few that stick with me. Feel free to add your own. 

Mal: You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all came to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. 'Cause as sure as I know anything, I know this: they will try again. Maybe on another world. Maybe on this very ground, swept clean. A year from now, ten, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave.

Tony D'Amato: You know when you get old in life, things get taken from you. That's part of life. But you only learn that when you start losing stuff. You find out life's this game of inches. So is football. Because in either game, life or football, the margin for error is so small. I mean...one half a step too late or too early and you don't quite make it. One half second too slow, too fast, you don't quite catch it. The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break of the game, every minute, every second. On this team, we fight for that inch. On this team, we tear ourselves and everyone else around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches, that's gonna make the F____N' DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WINNING AND LOSING! BETWEEN LIVING AND DYING! I'll tell you this - in any fight, it's the guy who's willing to die who's gonna win that inch. And I know if I'm going to have any life anymore, it's because I'm still willing to fight and die for that inch. Because THAT'S WHAT LIVING IS! THE SIX INCHES IN FRONT OF YOUR FACE!

Sam: "I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand! I know now! Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't! They kept going! Because they were holding on to something."
Frodo: "What are we holding onto, Sam?"
Sam: "That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it's worth fighting for!"

Lucretia MacEvil

Re: Heroic Speechs - Reminders of what we fight for - Inspirations
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 07:03:33 PM »
It may be a good idea to say what each quote is from, for those who don't know (I missed the middle one, myself).

This one's from A Sound of Thunder:

Sonia Rand: "No, I don't know if this plan will work, but I DO know that doing nothing will NOT work."

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 07:14:31 PM »
From the trailer for Pacific Rim:
Today, at the edge of our hope, at the end of our time... we've chosen to believe in each other. Today we face the monsters that are at our door! Today we are cancelling the apocalypse!
Note to self: I really need to watch that movie when it comes out.

Loki: I have an army.
Stark: We have... a Hulk.

Rachel Dawes: But it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

HarvesterOfEyes

• Lieutenant
  • Mine is to collect from the wicked.
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 07:51:44 PM »
"There are no great men. There are only great challenges that ordinary men like you and me are forced by circumstances to meet."

Adm. William F. Halsey

Globetrotter

• Boss
  • I am a still Hero and This is what I do!
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 08:10:41 PM »
From Karate Kid 1984:

Kreese: Fear does not exist in this dojo, does it?
Karate Class: NO, SENSEI!
Kreese: Pain does not exist in this dojo, does it?
Kreese: Defeat does not exist in this dojo, does it?
Gutta cavat lapidem, non vi, sed saepe cadendo.

Stunrunner

• Minion
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 08:23:26 PM »
"He knows a hero when he sees one. Too few characters out there, flying around like that, saving old girls like me...and Lord knows, kids like Henry need a hero. Courageous, self-sacrificing people, setting examples for all of us. Everybody loves a hero...people line up for them, cheer them, scream their names, and years later they'll tell how they stood in the rain for hours just to get a glimpse of the one who taught them to hold on a second longer. I believe there's a hero in all of us, that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride. Even though sometimes we have to be steady, and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams."

--Aunt May, Spider-Man 2

DashaBlade

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 11:59:32 PM »

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 02:38:31 AM »
"Remember that all through history, there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they seem invincible. But in the end, they always fall. Always."  Mahatma Ghandi

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."  H. L. Mencken

"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do."  Eleanor Roosevelt

"Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will." - Frederick Douglass, 1857

I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Greg Lloyd

• Minion
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 03:33:35 AM »

antarcticaa

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 04:24:10 AM »
A few more for your consideration:

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."  -Winston Churchill

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." -Thomas A. Edison

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."  -Winston Churchill

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream." -C. S. Lewis

"I dwell in possibility."  -Emily Dickinson

Quinch

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2012, 04:30:29 AM »
"We are not now that strength which in the old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are,
One equal-temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
- Tennyson

Terwyn

• Plan Z: Business/Marketing Lead
  • Elite Boss
    • Missing Worlds
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012, 04:46:42 AM »
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.  ~ T. Roosevelt

Confront them with annihilation, and they will then survive; plunge them into a deadly situation, and they will then live. When people fall into danger, they are then able to strive for victory.
~ Sun Tzu

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
- Albert Einstein

http://missingworlds.wordpress.com

shadeovblack

• Minion
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2012, 07:31:26 AM »
Thanks guys, I needed that.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2012, 09:12:00 AM »
What lies ahead of you & what lies behind you is nothing compared to what lies within you.

Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

When the world says, "Give up,"
Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2012, 02:13:45 AM »
From Legend, Book One of the Drenai Saga, by David Gemmel

The Earl of Bronze speaking to Ulric Khan of the Nadir.

"Stopping you is not important," said the Earl. "It never was."
"Then what are you doing?"
"We are trying to stop you."
"Is this a riddle which I should understand?"
"Your understanding is not important. It maybe that destiny intends you to succeed. It may be that a Nadir empire will prove vastly beneficial to the world.But ask yourself this:Were there no army here when you arrived save Druss alone, would he have opened the gate to you?"
"No, he would have fought and died," said Ulric.
"But he would not have expected to win. So why would he do it?"
"Now I understand your riddle, Earl. But it saddens me that so many men must die when it is futile to resist. Nevertheless I respect you.

Quinch

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2012, 03:28:01 AM »
I'm reminded of this little exchange from Ursula Vernon's "Digger".

http://www.diggercomic.com/?p=848

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2012, 05:14:50 AM »
Inspiration, eh? I've got a full tray of [Enrage].

Septipheran