Author Topic: Demo Launcher Problem (Windows8 related?)  (Read 9598 times)

atomahawk

• Underling
Demo Launcher Problem (Windows8 related?)
« on: December 23, 2012, 05:58:36 AM »
I'm trying to run Zloth's DemoLauncher on my new Windows8 laptop.  My old Windows7 laptop on which I had played COH died.  I copied all of the old files and put them in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\NCSoft\City of Heroes

When I run DemoLauncher I get an error message

"Could not find City of Heroes

If you normally run City of Heroes as administrator, make sure you run this program as administrator, too."

I'm sure I'm overlooking something simple, but I can't figure out what it is.

I get a similar error when I try to run his DemoEdit program.  It however, then says it will default to the C: drive in terms of looking for demo files, and then will run.  With DemoLauncher, it closes down once you "OK" the warning message.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
Re: Demo Launcher Problem (Windows8 related?)
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 11:10:10 AM »
First and obvious: are you running it in admin mode?
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

atomahawk

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 09:57:13 PM »
First and obvious: are you running it in admin mode?

Yep, I did that.  It still came up with the same error.

I tried an alternate way of launching demos, creating a shortcut to cityoheroes.exe, putting a "-demoplay" in the target and then dragging demofiles into the shortcut.  It started up but then came up with an error saying the texture library was missing.

Later I tried the "drag into the shortcut" procedure with the I24 Client that I had downloaded.  The demos would launch from that.

I'm wondering if something may not have copied over correctly when I copied over the I23 files.

Samuraiko

• Honorary Paragon Dev and
  • Elite Boss
  • EVERYONE LOOK AWESOME - I'M FILMING!
    • The Wandering Crane
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 10:45:34 PM »
I'm trying to run Zloth's DemoLauncher on my new Windows8 laptop.  My old Windows7 laptop on which I had played COH died.  I copied all of the old files and put them in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\NCSoft\City of Heroes

When I run DemoLauncher I get an error message

"Could not find City of Heroes

If you normally run City of Heroes as administrator, make sure you run this program as administrator, too."

I'm sure I'm overlooking something simple, but I can't figure out what it is.

I get a similar error when I try to run his DemoEdit program.  It however, then says it will default to the C: drive in terms of looking for demo files, and then will run.  With DemoLauncher, it closes down once you "OK" the warning message.

Check for spelling on the launcher's path - worse comes to worst, take a screenshot of the settings and post them up here.

Second thing to check - spelling the directory name right (ie, no spaces).

Third thing to check- making sure you copied the COH exe file to the new directory.

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite
The game may be gone, but the videos are still here...
http://www.youtube.com/samuraiko
http://cohtube.blogspot.com

JadeFalcon

• Minion
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 12:25:18 AM »
Make sure you run the client once with these shortcut target line options.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\NCSoft\City of Heroes\cityofheroes.exe" -project CoH
"C:\Program Files (x86)\NCSoft\City of Heroes\cityofheroes.exe" -project CoHTest

Remember to include the space after the last quotation mark.

Now when you run the demo launcher, you should see 'Standard Game' and 'Test Version' at the top. If the launcher does not detect the test version, the standard game option isn't available either. Not doing this will require you to click the 'Special..' option to manually locate cityofheroes.exe every time you run the launcher (which is the case when using the launcher for beta since it doesn't have that option built in.)

An alternative for beta is to edit the registry once the CoHTest key is created and use the path to the beta client's cityofheroes.exe. Then you can select 'Test Version' to launch beta demos.

:)

atomahawk

• Underling
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 01:07:50 AM »
Jade Falcon wrote:

Make sure you run the client once with these shortcut target line options.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\NCSoft\City of Heroes\cityofheroes.exe" -project CoHTest

When I ran the shortcut (even as Admin) with each of these, I got the following error:

Failed to load texture library. It is likely that City of Heroes is not properly installed.  Re-installing or running NCsoft Launcher may fix this.

I tried to run DemoLauncher and it still failed. :(

Thanks for the help so far.

UPDATE:
As I looked through the piggs folder, I noticed that there weren't any that appeared texture related.  I put those files in and tried to run -project COH.  I didn't get the texture library error, but I got a different warning screen saying "City of Heroes has encountered an error and needs to close."

I tried to run DemoLauncher and still got the failure message there.  I'm thinking that perhaps some other files didn't get copied.  What kind of message should I get  when I run

Is there some way I can check if the key was created?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 05:30:21 AM by atomahawk »

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 01:09:33 PM »

Is there some way I can check if the key was created?
Regedit, if it still exists on Win 8. Check the contents of:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NCsoft
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Cryptic
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Michiyo

• Titan Staff
  • Lieutenant
    • SGSpaces
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 04:55:08 AM »
If nothing else I wrote a VERY bare bones program to do this since I couldn't get DemoLauncher to work.  http://webapps.sgspaces.net/cohstuff/click.php?id=7  Stick it in the City of Heroes dir with cityofheroes.exe and it will list all demos in client_demos.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 05:31:07 AM by NeoRavencroft »

Takinalis

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 05:47:14 PM »
Open regedit.
Navigate to Computer\HKEY_CUREENT_USER\Cryptic\coh
Right click on the right pane and create a new string value "Installation Directory".
Double click.
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\City of Heroes
Valkyrie Blade - Virtue Server