Author Topic: City of Heroes Local Map and Sandbox Mode  (Read 60637 times)

KyleJCrb

• Underling
  • @Dixileta
    • KNGI Video Game Music Podcasts
Re: City of Heroes Local Map and Sandbox Mode
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2012, 01:08:34 AM »
Reminds me of a glitch that a bad stick of RAM caused for me in CoH some time ago.

I couldn't actually do anything with this stuff and the game eventually crashed once I started moving around, but it was pretty weird.

Zekiran

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2012, 01:49:56 AM »
That doesn't look like a glitch that any video card would make, that looks to be a dev debug or assembling mode to me. Those are triggers and movement notations for NPCs. Very cool looking!

nitz

• Underling
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2012, 01:54:40 AM »
That's funny!

Back in 2005 when I had a crappy Athlon 3200+ with 1GB ram and a Geforce 5700 some similar glitch happened to me also and it was bad memory, Windows would only show 640MB ram.

It was somewhat different but I saw some kind of marker everywhere then suddenly the client would crash.

Now it comes up to my mind, when editing supergroup bases we're able to move around and there is clearly some collision detection but the supergroup editor seemed to be entirely featured on the client side.

Ceremonius

• Lieutenant
  • Here we are now! Entertain us! ~Nirvana
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2012, 02:05:06 AM »
That doesn't look like a glitch that any video card would make, that looks to be a dev debug or assembling mode to me. Those are triggers and movement notations for NPCs. Very cool looking!

Agreed! A video card glitch would look different :).
From completely messed up colors to no textures. But that just looks like waypoints, npc spawnpoints (maybe?) and that stuff.

SetDevMode = True :D
No Guts, No Glory! No Pain, No Gain!
One for all, all for one; Riders on the range!
No Guts, No Glory! We're taking a stand!
Ready to prove it again!
~Galaxy Rangers

KyleJCrb

• Underling
  • @Dixileta
    • KNGI Video Game Music Podcasts
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2012, 04:46:21 AM »
It was definitely caused by a bad RAM stick. I don't think I was in any sort of Dev Mode or anything; it just showed the underlying workings of the game thanks to something getting corrupted when being loading into RAM. When watching the Twitch stream on November 30th, I saw Hit Streak trigger something that looked very similar (it showed NPC spawn points and the same markers, at least,) so it is something dev-related. I didn't seem to have any dev powers, though.

Lucretia MacEvil

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2012, 05:44:08 AM »
There's some amazing stuff going on here :)

I can't wait to fly around again - even if its just locally and with no goal but to fly.

Oh, god, that would be so great!

*closes eyes and visualizes flying* 

... nowhere near the same.

Awaiting another one of Codewalker's "hey guess what..." posts.

*Fingers, toes, eyes, etc. crossed for luck*
Please oh please oh please oh please....

Hotaru

• Lieutenant
  • Just a demo-loving fool in the Far East...
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2012, 06:42:41 AM »
I see I'm not alone in the "bad memory stick = good times" club. I had it happen on both live and test. Back in the day, my machine crashed quite a bit due to one of my two sticks of memory being bad (not that I knew it at the time). Being the impatient dude that I am, I'd just use a shortcut to get back into game without checking files. Again. And again. And again. Until the game was magnificently broken.

Good times... more of which can be found here: http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a251/Matsutaro/COH%20map%20editor%20maybe/

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2012, 01:06:35 PM »
I wonder if there is a "Secret zone here" marker in Faultline while in this mode...
Yeeessss....

Valjean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2012, 02:40:33 PM »
Looks like the bad memory switched number or two and ended up giving you guys access to the developer mode. That's pretty darn neat. Could you do anything different when that happened?

Tiger

• Underling
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2012, 06:31:36 PM »
Looks like the bad memory switched number or two and ended up giving you guys access to the developer mode. That's pretty darn neat. Could you do anything different when that happened?
When in my first screenshot in my last post (with the white screen), you can drag and the words "nav" become bigger and smaller, and the numbers on the bottom left  become bigger or smaller. I assume if this was hooked up with something it would make a an object say a building or a npc, bigger or smaller. Also here is an offset and ones nearby where you get developer information on screen, say a list of rendered objects, and frame rates and stuff, but since you can turn on a lot, it will overlaps each other so much (you could easily cover the whole screen, if you turned them all on) I doubt, all of the information was normally seen by players, for example this and other offsets near it:
0x016776A4

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2012, 06:55:21 PM »
I tried the "Blank World Mapserver" thing.

It worked, but you couldn't do any emotes, mouselook, or pull up the powers list, for instance.

What you could do, however:

Read the entire help section for the game
Output game commands to the chat window with /cmdlist
Look at your costume change window
Look at an empty paragon rewards tier screen

Probably other stuff too.
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

Tiger

• Underling
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2012, 07:09:33 PM »
I tried the "Blank World Mapserver" thing.

It worked, but you couldn't do any emotes, mouselook, or pull up the powers list, for instance.

What you could do, however:

Read the entire help section for the game
Output game commands to the chat window with /cmdlist
Look at your costume change window
Look at an empty paragon rewards tier screen

Probably other stuff too.
You also might be able to do more commands if you first type in this command first:
/textparserdebug
for example if you do not type that in, and try the command /createHero, it will say it is not a command. But once you type in /textparserdebug then it will not give you an error message when you type in /createHero.
Also once you type in /textparserdebug  commands like /console 1  will now display the console window, though I am not able to type anything in the console.
And also by playing around with an offset, I was able to get a glowing thing on the upper right part of the screen thats says I have reached level one, and will keep saying that each time I click that.

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2012, 07:13:11 PM »
Interesting.

I have noticed that there is an "execute script' command.

exec charcreate.txt

The above will default any animation that is running on the player model.

Saw it and wondered.

Leandro

• Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2012, 07:50:23 PM »
I wonder if there is a "Secret zone here" marker in Faultline while in this mode...

Nope:

What you're seeing is the map editor. This is normally accessed by 1) being a dev, 2) using the console command "can_edit 1" followed by "edit 1". By editing that memory offset you're kicking the game into editor mode, but without the menus and such.

Before you get too excited, THIS DOES NOT WORK UNLESS YOU ARE CONNECTED TO AN ACTUAL SERVER. Much like everything else in COH, the client just displays things, but without being connected to a server, none of the commands work.

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2012, 07:58:07 PM »
>24/12/2012 in the taskbar

So.... you somehow rigged that up to a server, yourself?

:o

AMAZING.

Tiger

• Underling
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2012, 08:08:10 PM »

AMAZING.
I think I just wet myself.

Ceremonius

• Lieutenant
  • Here we are now! Entertain us! ~Nirvana
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2012, 08:10:34 PM »

AMAZING.
I think I just wet myself.

Read the stuff underneath the pic ;).

What you're seeing is the map editor. This is normally accessed by 1) being a dev, 2) using the console command "can_edit 1" followed by "edit 1". By editing that memory offset you're kicking the game into editor mode, but without the menus and such.

Before you get too excited, THIS DOES NOT WORK UNLESS YOU ARE CONNECTED TO AN ACTUAL SERVER. Much like everything else in COH, the client just displays things, but without being connected to a server, none of the commands work.

No Guts, No Glory! No Pain, No Gain!
One for all, all for one; Riders on the range!
No Guts, No Glory! We're taking a stand!
Ready to prove it again!
~Galaxy Rangers

Leandro

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2012, 08:19:24 PM »

No; I should have been more clear. You can display the map edit UI, but without being connected to a server, you can't actually edit the map. all the map edits I've been doing have been by messing with the map files manually. You've not seen most of them, but I hope my Remains video will be completed tonight. I finished the most ridiculously complicated shot last night (about 8 hours for an 8-second shot; you'll know it when you see it) so I'm pretty certain I can be done with it today.

Also, I'm going to ask that, if you find how to fool the client into giving you dev access level and console commands, please don't post it. We are going to have our own servers sooner or later, and we might reuse a lot of the dev interfaces in the game because, hey, they're there, no need to reinvent the wheel. While security though obscurity won't stop someone who's dedicated to finding this stuff, the point is to keep a "casual griefer" from deciding to wreck the server just because they had a fight with the supergroup.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 08:35:51 PM by Leandro »

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2012, 08:35:13 PM »
If you're not seeing menus, you're probably turning on /seeeverything rather than the map editor. That shows all of the normally hidden geometry for things like spawn points and neighborhood volumes.

The editors turns that on automatically, but it can be toggled independently of that.

Leandro

• Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2012, 08:36:52 PM »
If you're not seeing menus, you're probably turning on /seeeverything rather than the map editor. That shows all of the normally hidden geometry for things like spawn points and neighborhood volumes.

The editors turns that on automatically, but it can be toggled independently of that.

Psst. Codewalker. Check your PMs.