Author Topic: What song are you listening to?  (Read 129031 times)

Triplash

• Elite Boss
Re: What song are you listening to?
« Reply #140 on: April 01, 2013, 07:20:04 PM »
In honor of today's date, I'd like to share a song that I inevitably end up singing at some point every April Fool's Day: You Jerk, by Kim Stockwood.

And I promise you, that link is not to anything Rick Astley related. While I'm plenty mean enough to rickroll someone, I am definitely not un-creative enough to do it on April Fool's Day. :)

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #141 on: April 02, 2013, 03:10:41 AM »
Once again, my brain fills in the musical needs as it is wont to do... randomly...

And so right now... it's "Jar of Hearts".  I don't exactly know why that is.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #142 on: April 05, 2013, 08:07:57 PM »
I'm the One That's Cool - The Guild

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #143 on: April 05, 2013, 09:28:52 PM »
Mothership-Duke Forever

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #144 on: April 05, 2013, 11:08:45 PM »
Just listened to 'Heavy Dude' from my CoH music collection.

Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #145 on: April 06, 2013, 02:18:58 PM »
Looks like I am still on a Jethro Tull kick, particularly this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL35m72gBDE "Jack In the Green" (with lyrics and photos) from the Songs From the Wood album.  No doubt this because it is (finally) Spring in Minnesota!  Ja sure!   ;D

As the joke goes, we have two seasons here: Winter and Road Repair, and if Summer falls on a weekend we have a picnic!  Hoping you have a beautiful day wherever you are.   :)
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

healix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #146 on: April 11, 2013, 07:16:04 AM »
My cousin was playing Bluegrass on his banjo...he is amazing, and his fingers move at warp speed.
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #147 on: April 11, 2013, 12:13:13 PM »
I'm the One That's Cool - The Guild
I love that song!!!   Especially the video done by the Guild!!!  I should also note for the record that I owe my appreciation for Felicia Day and the Guild to Dark_Respite a.k.a. Samuraiko for her version of "Do You Wanna Date My Avatar" since I figuratively "came to the table late" since becoming a "silver surfer."  (Man, retirement and age, really do have their advantages.)

But the most recent music I've heard was a clip sent to me by a friend of Healix' cousin on banjo--and he really is amazing!  If you like authentic banjo music, her cousin is da man!  Well, time for me to plug into some Tibetan flute music or else Indian sitar prior to some Aum-Aum style meditation.  Have a happy day on Titan!   :)
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #148 on: April 12, 2013, 01:10:54 AM »
johnrobey: If you like ethnic sounds I recommend the Master Musicians Of Jajuka's Apocalypse Across The Sky recorded in their village in 1991 by producer Bill Laswell. They have a definite "whirling dervish" sound that can make your head swim if you let it.

healix: I've recorded demos for a new(ish) duo Nik & Sam. Sam is a great banjo player as well. A natural. Hard to find a good one with taste. (They are newgrass/country pop).

"The Bones Of You" - Elbow
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #149 on: April 12, 2013, 01:53:24 AM »
Thank you!  I definitely like ethnic sounds, nearly as much as I enjoy ethnic foods!  My taste in music is all over the landscape, and even includes some "bubble gum" popular rock (provided I sample occasionally and don't try to make that a steady diet.  After all, I don't want my teeth or my brain to rot!)   ;D

So, thanks, and I'll sure to check that out.  I tend to like Indian Classical music, Native American music, Middle Eastern music (one of my housemates from back in the day was a former farm girl from North Dakota who learned and practiced belly dancing--Opa!!), Samba, Calypso, Bossa Nova, as well as classic Rock N Rock (1950-early1990s), U.S. Jazz (all eras), Classics like Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Mozart, etc., and who doesn't go wild for the Rag Time of Scott Joplin?  Anyhow, thank for introducing me to perhaps a new favorite band or even flavor of music!  :)

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #150 on: April 12, 2013, 02:12:56 AM »
Yeah this is pretty cool, especially the drumming.  What I am listening to is : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AU8HWbQUsM Master Musicians of Jajouka - Apocalypse Across the Sky.  It reminds me a bit of some India ragas tho of course each of these has a sound all their own.  Thanks again for the musical tip!  I think I'll follow it up with Appalachian dulcimers.

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #151 on: April 13, 2013, 05:33:55 PM »
Well, due to the Alphabet Hunt game... THIS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp9yqLbJ4Wk

Y'alls welcome. :D

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #152 on: April 13, 2013, 11:39:54 PM »
What a coincidence, Houtex; I'm listening to the exact same song!  Yay for Weird Al!!!!!!   8)

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #153 on: April 14, 2013, 01:38:15 AM »
Weird Al was a guest judge on Cupcake Wars today. That is surreal...
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #154 on: April 14, 2013, 03:15:55 AM »
Weird Al was a guest judge on Cupcake Wars today. That is surreal...

Did the winner get to drink from the firehose? :D

Wasted - Barstool Prophets

healix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #155 on: April 15, 2013, 12:29:37 AM »
Cause I'm a Blonde...from Earthgirls are Easy

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #156 on: April 15, 2013, 03:02:37 AM »
Cause I'm a Blonde...from Earthgirls are Easy
That is an awesome song (& movie), Healix!  I love your taste!  As to the songs I have been listening to today (for real) on youtube have include songs of actual loons (as Dave Barry would say, I am NOT making this up!), e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPkCnMso5rE and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3G9b6j3nCA  and I followed those up this morning with this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i24uukKwcIQ  Anugama - Chakra-Journey- (Shamanic Dream) Ambient Meditative Trance but lest that fool people into thinking I'm all whatever, I had to listen to this blast from the past (sent by my decade older spirit brother) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBH1qi-i6zA "You Don't Own Me" by Leslie Gore (1963).  However, now that I have recounted each and every song I've listened to on YouTube today (I am deliberately omitting "Ave Maria" that I heard earlier today in an in-person, unplugged, not online environment), this final song and what I am Listen to the very moment of my post this I blame give full credit to Healix for posting this!  http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,6657.msg114001.html#msg114001

Hence without further build-up, won't you all please enjoy (if you do) Weird Al's rendition of his own "Perform This Way" music video tribute honoring Lady Gaga's musical and couture originality:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss_BmTGv43M  P.S. while I think Al has Lady G's number perfectly, I also shall confess that I like Lady Gaga and a number of her songs.  But then I also like Madonna, Bette Midler, the Andrew Sisters, Barbra Streisand, etc.  We could even find a few songs by Cher that I like and, even tho I have never once watched a single episode of "My Little Pony" I've been exposed to that Friendship is Magical theme here on Titan sufficiently to (ugh!) even make me a self-confessed Bronie!!!  If and When CoH and/or Plan Z launches, my next alt shall be My Little Bronie!  And there shall be no stopping me!  (Unless of course, I'm preempted.)

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #157 on: April 15, 2013, 03:52:18 AM »
Hence without further build-up, won't you all please enjoy (if you do) Weird Al's rendition of his own "Perform This Way" music video tribute honoring Lady Gaga's musical and couture originality:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss_BmTGv43M

I can't even hear the title of that song without thinking of a Minecraft-based parody somebody made of it, Form This Way.

Which leads me to the song I'm listening to at this very minute, Dwarf Hole.

healix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #158 on: April 19, 2013, 09:34:51 AM »
I won't go huntin with you Jake - Jimmy Dean   (My grandpa's favorite song...LOL)

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #159 on: April 19, 2013, 12:46:22 PM »