Author Topic: I have a problem.  (Read 14830 times)

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
Re: I have a problem.
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2012, 06:40:04 AM »
I was stuck at work late today.  Most days that's not a big deal, but today that meant I had to call to cancel the first date I would have had in 2 years.

And I am so damn angry.  I thought of the moment in Fight Club where Ed Norton says, "I wanted to destroy something beautiful."  I took a four-year-old, fried motherboard into the parking lot and just stomped on it for 30 minutes until I couldn't stand outside in the cold in my jeans and a t-shirt anymore.  I tore the cpu out of its socket and hurled it against the dumpster.  I screamed until my throat was raw.  And I am still angry.

I can't get past this.  I can't get over it.  I want to take a sledgehammer to my walls and my windows.  I want to hurl myself at the ground over and over again until I cannot make myself get up anymore.  I want to destroy something I love, and I want to hurt myself doing it.

I know this is disproportionate.  I know this is misplaced.  But I still can't shake it.

I hate me.  I just... hate... me.

Tell me that you love me, and that this, too, shall pass.  Tell me that this isn't my fault, and that it will get better.  Tell me I'm better than this, and that we aren't done yet.
Tell me anything but the truth.

Hi Faith.Grins,
I don't know that I can help but I can sympathize with your frustration.  First, I'm sorry you had to cancel your date, and hope you're able to reschedule it, especially for a time when you're feeling better.   I know that gaming in general and CoH in specific provided a good outlet for venting a la Fight Club - man, I always liked that movie.  Getting over disappoinment and loss takes time. 

I won't say it's disproportionate or misplaced, but it does sound like you recognize that the intensity of your anger is urging you in directions you'd regret such as destroying something you love or worse self-harming behavior.  Rather than simply hating the situation (i.e. hating CoH being unavailable) you've temporarily turned to hating yourself for having these feelings of anger.   I think you already recognize that this isn't currently constructive, but it is sometimes possible to convert anger into resolution; e.g. working out at the gym or tackling un-fun projects - at least that works for me at times.

No, it isn't your fault, and no, we're not done yet.   I don't know you well enough to say "you're better than this" but since you were wise enough to write about it rather than doing something you'd later regret, I suspect this is true.   It's just going to take time for you, me, and lots of us to get over losing CoH.  I haven't found an MMO to replace CoH.  Perhaps in tme I shall, but in lieu of MMORPgaming mostly I've been playing Sid Meier's Civilization, emailing and telephoning friends, and watching various videos and movies on youtube, reading, among other activities.

I think it's certain that things will get better, that in time your anger will diminish; even as "hateful" (as in totally un-fun) as growing experiences can be, often one is better for them.  At a personal level, you may be about to "level up" through dealing with the negative emotions you're feeling.  I'm not sure whether to offer you virtual hugs or a virtual punching bag - or maybe you could use both(?)

Hoping you find these words helpful. 
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2012, 11:09:12 AM »
I was stuck at work late today.  Most days that's not a big deal, but today that meant I had to call to cancel the first date I would have had in 2 years.

And I am so damn angry.  I thought of the moment in Fight Club where Ed Norton says, "I wanted to destroy something beautiful."  I took a four-year-old, fried motherboard into the parking lot and just stomped on it for 30 minutes until I couldn't stand outside in the cold in my jeans and a t-shirt anymore.  I tore the cpu out of its socket and hurled it against the dumpster.  I screamed until my throat was raw.  And I am still angry.

I can't get past this.  I can't get over it.  I want to take a sledgehammer to my walls and my windows.  I want to hurl myself at the ground over and over again until I cannot make myself get up anymore.  I want to destroy something I love, and I want to hurt myself doing it.

I know this is disproportionate.  I know this is misplaced.  But I still can't shake it.

Tell me that you love me, and that this, too, shall pass.  Tell me that this isn't my fault, and that it will get better.  Tell me I'm better than this, and that we aren't done yet.

Sweetie we just had our entire town laid waste by faceless goons who repeatedly lied to us, denied us closure and wouldn't even acknowledge us as human beings.  We were nothing but numbers to them, and our numbers weren't great enough for them to care.  Why shouldn't you be enraged at a foul thing that reduces you to a cipher?  Why shouldn't you cry havoc against the indifferent flunky who dismisses you as insignificant?  Your friends have been scattered to the winds and you have no home, and it was no tempest that did this, it was the actions of people who just purely did not give a damn about the damage that they did.

You are justified in your rage.  You re justified in your grief.  It is not disproportionate.  You have lost your home.

But some of are still here.  We share your rage and we love you.  It is not your fault that you are angry and you should not hate yourself for being angry.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I am not done yet, and I will not give up until I have beaten on the door of every single company on a very long list, and begged them, pleaded with them, to give us our home back.

And that is the truth.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2012, 12:12:55 PM »
*stands shoulder to shoulder with VV, torch held high*
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2012, 03:23:49 AM »

Wow... just... wow.  I've had this very thing happen to me.  Glad I'm not the only person where work absolutely screws with them like that.  Gain strength in numbers, friend, and smash the **** outta that old fried stuff.  I preferred a nice sledgehammer and totally dismantled an old Acer computer I hated with a passion.  Totally. Worth. The cleanup.

Also, throwing yourself at the ground is easy, it's the missing part that is hard, but once mastered, you'll be flying around like Arthur Dent and Fenchurch.  Won't that be a pleasant thing indeed?

/Haven't gotten the knack of missing the ground yet myself, but one day...

Ceremonius

• Lieutenant
  • Here we are now! Entertain us! ~Nirvana
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2012, 04:28:54 AM »
Your anger reminds me of me when I was younger. Actually I called it hatred and not anger.
Well what was I doing? In school days I was somewhat always the tallest and strongest guy around. I tortured other people just for fun, for the sake of living my hatred, my anger. I felt, well, "good" after it. Maybe it was an outcry for attention? Dunno. I have an older brother, and a mother (divorced), still no real family wich cared about my needs and so on. Maybe it was my solution just to take up the wrath and let it out to some people I didn't wanted to know or I knew and didn't liked.

But than a day came. No special day, just a regular day. I remember I turned 15 this time. And I just stopped.
I won't say there isn't any anger or hatred inside of me, this would be a lie. But i accepted it as being around.
I wanted to know myself how such a hate could be born inside me. So I searched for "my" truth ;).
I started to read stuff about raising kids, childhood stuff...all that psychological stuff. Well I realized for myself that THERE IS something wich makes me go wild. Actually pretty much serveral childhood traumata caused by my mother (no contact to her).
There is nothing you can ever do erase such thing.

I for myself started with martial arts. No not kung fu jibberish or some other stuff. It was some sort of Street Fighting. I took whatever I needed out of other styles just to suit it to my needs. Like mixing up the mental stuff from ninjutsu (one of the schools of ninjutsu) and crossing it with the calm and flawless moves of tai chi. It really helps me to focus on what does matter.

Also I began to write. Poems, short books, complete books, songs.
This is when it comes to focus. They're preaching you to have an "empty mind". Wich is in my opinion (just MY opinion) total crap.
I prefer to have a journey inside my head while doing my focus. The journey might be a small ship or something like that wich crosses the ocean. And while you are on focus your rage still growls withing you...giving the sky, the clouds, all the enviroment an pretty unique look. That look is about what you have to write if you doing it like me. Cause the look is you inner anger, an image of it.

And yes, I was a soldier too, in combat actually. I did stuff wich I am not proud of cuz I had the order to do it. Also a part of me "broke" due some of that. After I ended my carreer, I found myself being alcohol addicted and in a shape....Well it wasn't to human anymore.

Actually a man wich is alcohol addicted, has mental problems and is indeed a well trained killer isn't a really good mix. First of all I got rid of the alcohol by myself. It took me a freakin year to get away from that, and a huge amount of willpower. Than I started to heal my *ucked up brain....well atleast sort of. I am not good at all stuff and I know that. But with what I was doing I was pretty much always the best, cause I always gave my best. I didn't care about other - yes I was the only one in the company who talked to his boss in a manner wich is not....let's say nice. Cause if I am doing my job, I do it right!

It sort of proudness wich got me back on my knees...well and asskicks by a friend of mine. Wanna thank her btw. but don't ever think she will read in here (her english is....not to mention^^).

I wrote alot of stuff, forgot over the half by now so I'll make a point here.
Means: Go up to the mirror, look inside it and realize that mistakes can happen. Shit can happen. But as long as you have the proudness and the faith to look in your very own eyes, everything will be okay. Not right now but that's life for: Learning who you really are :)
No Guts, No Glory! No Pain, No Gain!
One for all, all for one; Riders on the range!
No Guts, No Glory! We're taking a stand!
Ready to prove it again!
~Galaxy Rangers

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2012, 01:26:34 PM »
I've never found myself in such an alarming state, well, recently.

But I've always found some games such as Fighting Games (Street Fighter), Beat'em Alls (Devil May Cry) or fast survival FPS (any with team survival, such as W40K: Space Marine and its exterminatus mode) to be a good outlet. Put it in easy mode or find a cheat and you're gonna have a blast at it :-)

Don't go PvP because you'll either end up more frustrated first, or frustrating others.
Yeeessss....

crayehal

• Minion
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2012, 08:43:42 AM »

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2012, 01:07:51 PM »
Yeeessss....

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2012, 02:53:42 AM »
Well, this is what I did.

http://www.mercedeslackey.com/

This will remain my front page for as long as it takes.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Little Green Frog

• Boss
  • @Little Green Frog
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2012, 02:57:30 AM »

It is good to have you with us. If anyone has a fighting chance in bringing the game back, it is you. But I also don't envy your position if NCsoft actually decides you are hurting them and decides to lawyer up.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2012, 03:27:22 AM »
It is good to have you with us. If anyone has a fighting chance in bringing the game back, it is you. But I also don't envy your position if NCsoft actually decides you are hurting them and decides to lawyer up.

It's a personal webpage and it is a personal opinion.  They can TRY, but I actually have about 10,000 hours of prepaid legal services lawyers bankrolled.

In the past much larger concerns have attempted to harass much bigger celebrities than me and their cease and desists were thrown out of court.  I could even file a harassment countersuit if I cared to.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2012, 06:18:03 AM »

cool website. That should catch a lot of traffic and thus more exposure now and in a place that NCSoft have no control over as it's just a personal website by a particular person that so happens to have played COX that isn't happy with the way it went. What can they do? There is none of their property on that site.

I do like Mercedes-Benz though.  S-Class being my favorite, W126, W140, W220, W116, W221 in that order.

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2012, 06:57:06 AM »
Mercedes is her name, she's not saying she's a lackey to Mercedes-Benz. >.>

But I'm sure you knew that and I'm an idiot for assuming you didn't.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2012, 11:34:09 AM »
Mercedes is her name, she's not saying she's a lackey to Mercedes-Benz. >.>

But I'm sure you knew that and I'm an idiot for assuming you didn't.

Further down on the front page is the line:

"If you've found this site, you've either made a mistake in looking for a fine German automobile, or your idea of proper transportation is a pure white, blue-eyed horse that talks to you in your head, a shape-changing dragon, a hot racecar employing technology that isn't exactly "off the shelf", or a basket hung between two magnificent gryphons."

And it ends with "And if you're looking for a fine German automobile, you probably want the Mercedes Benz site. Tell them I sent you."  With Mercedes Benz hyperlinked.

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2012, 10:07:55 PM »
Like I said in the last post, I'm an idiot.  8)

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2013, 02:15:22 AM »
Like I said in the last post, I'm an idiot.  8)

hey, you are no idiot.
Plus where would humans be without assumptions? One look at the cover, and the interior is automatically known is the logic of human thinking it seems.

If people was able to wait for the facts and had the ability to with hold judgement, then assumptions would not exist, and we would not be at this particular moment in this time the way it is now with the alternative being the same or something different for better or worse. Plus waiting/searching/asking for more information take too long, tedious, boring. Assumptions rule the human logic these days. Maybe in the past but I wasn't there so cant say.