Author Topic: I just can't do it.  (Read 13870 times)

A Cyclops named Steve

• Lieutenant
  • Steropes Freedom
Re: I just can't do it.
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 10:58:21 PM »
Just  a quick story to show how I can relate what you're saying:

I played SWG for 3 years. I know that may not seem like a lot when we compare it to the 8 years CoH was in existence, but... c'mon, three years with one game (that you play for HOURS and HOURS every single day, haha...) is a long damn time.
I found baby animals that I tamed and trained and watched grow bigger and older - and one, in particular, became my constant sidekick (I still miss you, Ozzo).

Okay, I said "quick story", didn't I...

After that game was taken from me (and my wife, who joined me and loved the game as well) - they changed the game in drastic ways, leaving the same virtual world, but with a whole new game system (akin to turning chess into checkers and/or if CoH turned all the ATs and powersets into just 5 ATs and each AT only had ONE powerset, instead of all of the options - seriously).

So, okay (that summed up), we lost our most favorite game and virtual world ever.
It was pretty tough. I played that game far more often, and for longer hours, than I did CoH (things were a little different for me back then!).

Afterwards, I decided that we'd try each and every mmorpg free trial out there, to have some fun and see what there was.

I made a silly choice... I chose the CoV Free Trial first!

We both played it... LOVED it!! And both decided that we wanted to buy it, subscribe and keep playing (before the trial even finished).

That was great, of course, but after about two months, we both realized we still had some healing to do. It was just too soon. Our old home kept coming to mind. The resentment toward the company that stole it from us was still far too fresh... all of that stuff that you, unfortunately, are all too familiar with.

So, we cancelled our subscriptions, both agreeing that we'd definitely be back in a little bit.

While that little bit ended up getting delayed a while longer than we'd planned... we absolutely came back and never stopped our subscriptions since (Must have been April of 2008, I believe).

Anyway... I feel ya.
Take your time. Don't worry about it.
The time will come. Of course... SWG and CoH were basically the last of a similar breed. Virtual worlds vs. video games. Games that are more open, more about options, customization with fully-realized virtual worlds and care and love of immersion and personal attachment and interest beyond what most others cater towards... not directed theme-park ride or something you had to play somebody else's way.

I was lucky enough to find another one, in CoH (with a FAR, FAR, FAR better development team and community!!!!!)... I'm sure we'll find a happy home again. Maybe it'll be the same home we just had... maybe it'll be something coming out in the future... Maybe you'll find something out right now, who knows... But, don't fret about not being ready yet. ;)

forgive my ignorance, but what is SWG? I have seen it mentioned several times and for the life of me can't figure it out. (CoH was my first MMO and really first computer game since my days playing kings quest and police quest, I did mainly counsel games before)
.                              Come with me and you'll be in a world of pure imagination. Take a look and you'll see into your imagination.

We'll begin with a spin, traveling in the world of my creation. What we'll see will defy explanation.

If you want to view paradise simply look around and view it. Anything you want to, do it. Wanta change the world? There's nothing To it.

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 11:02:38 PM »
Star Wars Galaxies.
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2012, 11:03:42 PM »
No offense to people who like Champions, but it is a generic brand/store brand soft drink when compared to CoH, which is a popular, loved, name brand soft drink.

;)

Shasta was always better than Coca-cola, Pepsi, and 7Up products.  As were Aldi brand drinks.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2012, 11:06:30 PM »
I still can't really find the enthusiasm to play much of anything else, a little Diablo 3 but that's about it.

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2012, 11:11:16 PM »
Shasta was always better than Coca-cola, Pepsi, and 7Up products.  As were Aldi brand drinks.

I usually drink bottled water and lemonade, myself.

A Cyclops named Steve

• Lieutenant
  • Steropes Freedom
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2012, 12:08:29 AM »

If you want to find some awesome sodas and you are in the states(although they might ship internationally) check out sodaemporium.com its a fun site but for the love of god just so NO to bacon soda...
.                              Come with me and you'll be in a world of pure imagination. Take a look and you'll see into your imagination.

We'll begin with a spin, traveling in the world of my creation. What we'll see will defy explanation.

If you want to view paradise simply look around and view it. Anything you want to, do it. Wanta change the world? There's nothing To it.

voodoogirl

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2012, 12:15:56 AM »
Well, we could all band together and create a settlement on the Deliverance server in Wurm Online...

faith.grins

• Boss
  • Split your lungs with blood and thunder.
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2012, 12:35:36 AM »
I still can't really find the enthusiasm to play much of anything else, a little Diablo 3 but that's about it.
I like D3, but I've gotten one character of each class to level 60, and find little else to keep bringing me back to the game.  I feel like the real problem is that each class may have dozens of skills and runes to pick from, but at level 60, past Act 1 of Inferno, you've really only got about three builds that cut it.  I happen to like one of the Barb builds that cuts it and one of the Witch Doctor builds, and that's about it.  It provides me with very little replay value.

-shrug-
I mean, I definitely got $60 of entertainment out of it, I guess I'm not really complaining.  I just figured after 10 years, it'd hold my interest for more than four months.
Aram:  "Man, just look at all this.  Sometimes it's hard to believe that we get to live surrounded by such wonder."
Gamal:  "We don't live over there." Aram:  "We don't?"
Gamal:  "No.  We live over there." Aram:  "... But it's all on fire."
Gamal:  "Yes it is, Aram.  Yes it is."

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2012, 06:25:57 AM »

I'm partial to Jones sodas myself, and Stewart's has a few good flavors.

The analogy stands though. City of Heroes was the favorite, while the other options feel like no-name, "me too" brands. It's like this commercial I saw way back in the day when dinosaurs roamed the earth. This guy is looking in the fridge for something to drink and he takes out a bottle of generic soda nobody's ever heard of. He stares at it in stunned horror, and his buddy asks him "So what's it taste like?" He tries it, thinks about it for a second, and says, "Tastes like... chicken." It's a reference to how nothing about its flavor stands out in any way.

That's how those other "superhero" games sit with me. They taste like chicken.

0nehanklap

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2012, 07:03:36 AM »
I've had an old CO account lying around unused for years, complete with a few (locked out) freeform toons.

So I took the special deal they just had (3 months for 30 bucks) to run them again.  My 28 Force-based Blaster, Greysun, is actually more fun than I remember, probably due to the specialization trees they added boosting his damage & the Questionite Store's (Armadillo) armor boosting both DR & Dmg. 

The biggest problem I recall with the game was the linear feeling:  a few missions in this neighborhood, go 2 blocks over for a few missions, then go to canada for a few, then run to the desert for a few, then back to downtown.  Roll a new toon & repeat.   Looks like some new content is there now to ameliorate that some, but There's no Dev team pushing out new stuff all the time, so its just not gonna be good for a stable of alts like it was in CoH.

If you do play though, the Freeform is definitely more fun.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2012, 07:26:06 AM »
To be completely honest, my opinion of Champions is not based on playing it, it's entirely based on comparing it to City. I fully intend to give it a fair chance at some point, but I'm not there yet. If I tried it right now I'd just end up looking for the bad points. That's not a fair chance, so for now I'm holding off.

What I did do is pick up Minecraft again. It doesn't hold me like it once did, but it's familiar and I like it, so it'll do till something better comes along.

DamianoV

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2012, 01:38:02 PM »
The hard part for me right now is to take a game on it's own merits, to approach it in the way those devs intended, as opposed to approaching it as CoH redux.

I'm kind of getting there with DCUO.  Part of the leg up on that one was that I've got a character in the mid-20s for level from my first try with that game, who can actually kick some derriere (soloing small groups of +1/+2, that kind of thing... the Circe/Aquaman tag-team is still a little beyond her tho).  The constant clicking (it is essentially designed as a console game) is the big issue for me with that one...

CO has a lot of issues, but it can fill the void for short periods.  I think, to have any chance at all, you've got to do three things: 1) largely ignore global chat, 2) hold your nose and blow past the initial levels as fast as possible, and 3) luck into a build you can stomach playing.  So many little irritations in that game: auto-follow turning off if you hit jump, for example, just frustrates the h*** out of me, so I can't play melee characters for long.

TSW is okay... I really like the setting, the various abilities I've tried so far have both flavor and punch...  but the development system drives me nuts.  Or maybe it's just the interface for spending those points.  Whatever it is, I open that thing to spend my AP and SP, take one look, and shudder.  If there is a way to present less useful information for making decisions using more screen space, I don't know what it would be...

MaHaBone

• Minion
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2012, 06:15:50 AM »
Lets see, in the past two weeks, I have tried:
Champions Online.  Hated it.  So much.  So ugly.  So clunky.
Dragon Age: Origins.  Bored to tears.  Made Champions look dynamic.
Dungeon Fighter Online  A side scrolling 80's style Beat 'em Up style game as an MMO?  Should be a recipe for instawin.  ...it's okay.  But a far cry from a win.
Vindictus  Okay, at least a step up from CO.  Servers are crazy slow, and the muzik is horrid, but at least smashing scenery is therapeutic.

Currently downloading DCO off of Steam.  We'll see how that goes...

At least once a day, I hear a word or phrase and think "Oh crap!  That would be an amazing costume/concept for a character!  I should-- ah hell."

A Cyclops named Steve

• Lieutenant
  • Steropes Freedom
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2012, 06:48:26 AM »

Dungeon Fighter Online  A side scrolling 80's style Beat 'em Up style game as an MMO?  Should be a recipe for instawin.  ...it's okay.  But a far cry from a win.

lol! DFO was actually what I was playing. And TBH it was a lot more fun before sunset, now I find myself just wanting CoX to the point nothing else will do.

Xarina

• Underling
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2012, 09:54:35 AM »
I feel ya.  I am finding everything I play very....cookie-cutterish.

samfivedot

• Underling
  • ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2012, 12:18:53 AM »
I've tried really really hard to give CO a chance, but I just can't get into it no matter how badly I want to. The combat system is incredibly clunky (I swear I died like 15 times just on the tutorial boss), and while I don't mind the graphic style itself, the game looks terrible in motion. The animations are so unnatural.

DCUO... eh. I hate how all characters have essentially the same backstory, and the actual customization is a joke compared to CoH. I can't get invested in my characters. TR-109 and all the other CoH lunatics I played were my creations, but my DCUO characters just feel like... well, MMO characters. Not a big fan of the controls, either. All the clicking and the mouse-operated camera, ugh.

I've been playing Torchlight 2, and it's a great game, but I know it's not what I want to play :\

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2012, 12:33:05 AM »
I too have been in a lull ever since the sunset.

I haven't even *tried* playing other superhero games, because I know they won't cut it.

Having tried CO in the past... I wasn't impressed, or liked it at all.

I'm trying to fill the hole by following the more technical aspects of what we have left, on our computers, and such.

Demo recording, editing demos, fiddling with unreleased things people (read: Codewalker or Leandro) put out.

Oh and helping people around here, of course :D

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2012, 02:38:32 AM »
the actual customization is a joke compared to CoH

Uggh, I know what you mean. I've been playing Torchlight 2 a fair bit myself, and it IS a fun game, I love it. But leading up to its release the people on their forums were getting all excited over how you could pick from four different faces, and six different hairstyles, AND six different hair colors!!! ZOMG!!!

......*groan*

MaHaBone

• Minion
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2012, 03:26:38 AM »
My 5 minute for DCUO for anyone considering giving it a go:
+Free to play
+fast download off of Steam
+Intro movie is fairly baddass.  Two thumbs up, would watch again.
+Environments look NICE (I daresay this is the one and only thing it has on CoH.  I flew about Metropolis and Gotham, and both cities looked detailed, luminous, and well-realized)
+Destructible environments!  I spent a few minutes just whaling on dumpsters.
+I'm not a huge DC nerd but-- holy shit!  Ambush Bug!
+Nice color-picking system.  Full spread of brightness, saturation and hue.  But...

-very confusing creation system
-No body sliders
-seems like you can only use 3 colors for your character.
-WEIRD class/classless system.  Seems like everyone is part Blaster/Scrapper/Fender/Troller.  Lots of Jacks of All Trades.  No masters.
-As someone mentioned, REALLY lousy customization.  Even when you do get you character to look a way you like, all the lewt and gear forces you to change you appearance to boost stats.  Lame.  So very lame.
-the nav system sucks ass
-All of the characters look rubbery
-No special characters in name.  Bleh.

+/-The combat system is more action game-y.  If that makes sense.  Less about the right power at the right place and time.  More about mashing the right key.  Some may like that.

Verdict: if you're looking for a methadone/come-down from the sunset, you could do worse.  Not likely to become your "Next Big Thing" but its mildly interesting.

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2012, 03:31:02 AM »
I concur with the above in regards to DCU Online. Good summation.
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/