Author Topic: Trion Worlds layoffs  (Read 5756 times)

Teege

• Boss
Trion Worlds layoffs
« on: December 12, 2012, 05:00:19 PM »
http://www.vgchartz.com/article/250609/rift-developer-trion-worlds-hit-with-layoffs/

Sad times for developers. Also move this thread as needed.
Keep fighting the good fight!

@Teege - Virtue

www.cohtitan.com

Celtic Lass

• Minion
Re: Trion Worlds layoffs
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 05:05:02 PM »
It's like pink slip virus for developers its seems this time of the year (and just before the holidays, my heart goes out to them).
"Yes, and then I'm going to marry Bob Dole and raise penguins in Guam."

Nafaustu

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 05:13:41 PM »
If i'm not incorrect, and I definitely may be, they just launched a big expansion.  (I had a RIFT trial with them for 30 days and know they send me ALL THE SPAM MAIL, only reason i've noted it.)

Aren't additional folks usually hired for those and then released once the expansion is out as a fairly regular studio tactic?

HarvesterOfEyes

• Lieutenant
  • Mine is to collect from the wicked.
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 06:30:08 PM »
If we're lucky, the lead developer for warriors was among those let go.

He wasn't apparently adding value.

mikoroshi

• Boss
  • Author, Owner of Dogs
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 06:36:57 PM »
Not good. A few CoH devs just got jobs there.
If you see me posting here, you need to tell me to stop it and get back to writing.

SeaLily

• Lieutenant
  • green hair
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 08:06:42 PM »
If i'm not incorrect, and I definitely may be, they just launched a big expansion.  (I had a RIFT trial with them for 30 days and know they send me ALL THE SPAM MAIL, only reason i've noted it.)

Aren't additional folks usually hired for those and then released once the expansion is out as a fairly regular studio tactic?

Yep, major expansion for RIFT just hit.  This is pretty standard.

Hire on a bunch of staff for the expansion, let them go once it's released.  Anyone hired from Paragon would have been hired after the expansion was basically out the door, so you don't have to worry about their jobs.  This is just the normal development hiring cycle at work.

It's not like Disney, where they recently fired the majority of their game studios except for Junction Point and are looking to outsource a lot of game development going forward instead of handling it themselves(why did they get picked as a target for spamming about CoH again?).
green hair

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 08:24:06 PM »
Didn't Trion do this Defiance stinkbug that's about to come from the SciFi Channel?
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Rienuaa

• Minion
  • Lord Omi - Virtue
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 08:24:34 PM »
bAss-Ackwards was affected by this.

:(

Sophronisba

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 08:52:42 PM »
Oh, man, that sucks.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 08:54:19 PM »
Anyone have him/her on Twitter? We should send warm feelies.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 09:03:54 PM »
I think I understand now a not-very-specific blog post I read this morning about former developers of Kingdoms of Amalur (that big failed MMO) that seem to have been fired for a second time in a year...

This sucks so big time for all of them... this industry is becoming too shaky... don't regret for a second having gone for SQL developer and leaving my aspirations to work for a video game development house... no matter where you live, there are constant earthquakes shaking down the video game development workforce.
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

I'm signing off and taking a break, blindly hope things change.

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 09:04:17 PM »

@#$%^@^^  :(
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

I'm signing off and taking a break, blindly hope things change.

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 09:19:08 PM »
Nah, it's a planned layoff after their expansion, and not that big a deal.

While it's unfortuante for us, yay for the Paragon devs who have work again.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 09:20:24 PM »

LIFO
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Kheprera

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 11:05:03 PM »
Anyone have him/her on Twitter? We should send warm feelies.

I do.

@bAss_ackwards

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 11:26:58 PM »
It's not like Disney, where they recently fired the majority of their game studios except for Junction Point and are looking to outsource a lot of game development going forward instead of handling it themselves(why did they get picked as a target for spamming about CoH again?).

i think disney got picked as a target because they are big enough that if ncsoft refused, they should not only be shooting themselves in the foot but cutting said foot off completely

also as you say, disney is looking to outsource their games instead of run it themselves, which is precisely what would happen with coh, they could re-set up paragon studios and just throw money at them to do what they want with the game, ect