Author Topic: Did NCSoft "fire" Cryptic Studios? (unsure of accuracy or relevancy)  (Read 1831 times)

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
This seems like the place to put this info.

Honestly? I'm not sure what you will read next is accurate. I don't know what to make of these claims. It MIGHT be potential information on NCSoft and how they operate. Or this guy may be wrong. Take it with a grain of salt.

From the following posts:
http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=2741741&postcount=36
Actually, we did get a little glimpse into the history of Cryptic, NCSoft, and CoX/CO, back a year ago or so, when Tumer was explaining why the files are named the way they are...

When NCSoft took over, they were at first going to maintain Cryptic as the developer for CoH. However, it became clear after a time that NCSoft wanted to create their own in-house studio (Paragon), and dump Cryptic. At this point, and rather behind the scenes, the folks at Cryptic began working on their new game, which at the time would have been in cooperation with Marvel and Microsoft. Since they didn't want their NCSoft overlords knowing about the new project (they hadn't yet been signed to a non-compete agreement, and wanted it to stay that way), they agreed that the project could never be openly discussed in the office.

Thus, all files relating to what would become CO were labeled "fightclub", because, after all, the first rule of "fightclub" is that you don't talk about "fightclub"...

Cryptic was not fired for malfeasance; they were fired basically for not being under the direct control of the home office in Korea.

(Incidentally, with the original project, first Microsoft pulled out, then Marvel, not thinking the project could be completed without MS money, pulled out. The MS participation is part of why this game supports XBox 360 controllers. Cryptic then found a way to keep the IP from being pulled away from them - they bought the Champions IP from Hero Games, and licensed it back to Hero for the tabletop game.)

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=2747781&postcount=56
Ulti, buddy - Cryptic didn't "sell" CoH, they worked on it under contract. And then NCSoft fired them and created their own studio, Paragon. That's part of why Cryptic purchased the IP to Champions - after their experience with CoX, and then Marvel and Microsoft pulling out of what was to be Marvel Online, Cryptic wanted to make sure their game couldn't be taken from them again.

Of course, benevolent neglect isn't a lot better, but dealing with reality will always get you further than inaccurate hypotheses...

To which I responded here:
http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=2748461&postcount=66
Hey Jon? I always thought that the sequence went something like this -

- Cryptic is founded - begins developing City of Heroes
- Cryptic needs publisher/money - partners with (is NOT actually bought by) NCSoft
- City of Heroes released
- Cryptic/NCSoft gets sued by Marvel
- Lawsuit dismissed
- Somehow or another, Marvel changes from adversary to negotiating with Cryptic to make them their own MMO. (Not exactly certain on this)
- Cryptic realizes they don't have enough capital/resources even with NCSoft to do the Marvel Game
- Sells City of Heroes and leases engine to NCSoft
- Many of the core Devs for City of Heroes under Cryptic jump ship and go to work at NCSoft Norcal, which is shortly thereafter renamed Paragon Studios.
- Cryptic is bought by Atari
- Cryptic continues working on Marvel MMO - then MS and then Marvel pull out of the deal.
- Crpytic buys IP from Hero games, leases IP back, re-purposes MMO into Champions Online
- Champions Online Launched
- Cryptic Acquires Star Trek Licence, begins developing STO
- STO Launched
- Neverwinter Nights announced, begins development
- Atari flounders financially, announces Cryptic for sale
- Cryptic bought by PWE
- NCSoft Closes Paragon Studios, 3 months later closes City of Heroes.

And here we are.

Readily I'll admit the above may not be correct. But initially that's how I'm remembering it. Can you fill in the holes or shuffle it around to explain things?

And where did you get your info? Again - not accusing, just haven't done the research myself and just trying to understand.

One reason I'd VERY much like to know - I'm interested in helping the Titan people in their campaign to convince NCsoft to sell the COH IP. Any informational ammunition or background data we can get on the dealings of NCSoft would be helpful.

His reply - which I'm not sure if he understood what I was asking for - is here:
http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=2748601&postcount=68
I got my info from Tumer, who was explaining (sometime last year, I think?) why all the files used "FightClub" in the naming convention. (They started work on the new game before NCSoft fired them; in order to make sure they didn't have to sign a non-compete agreement, they did not talk about their new game where NCSoft could hear. What's the first rule of Fight Club?)

(When he says "got the info from Tumer - he's talking about "Tumerboy" - one of the Devs who used to work on CO, but now is over in STO.)

As I say - I don't know what to make of this, because it doesn't match up with what I've heard before. But - wondering if anyone can corroborate or debunk it? I figure any insight into practices and behaviour of NCSoft is useful somehow, somewhere.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Re: Did NCSoft "fire" Cryptic Studios? (unsure of accuracy or relevancy)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 01:17:51 AM »
See I was always under the idea that NCSoft didn't like the fact Cryptic was working on the Marvel MMO, felt that CoH wasn't getting the resources NCSoft thought should be devoted to the game and choose to buy out Cryptic's percentage of the game. 

It all depends on how the original arrangement was made in the contract.  Did Cryptic actually own the IP, a percentage of the IP with NCSoft or were they simply "work for hire".  If it was the last case then it would be firing them.

It could be like a book advance.  NCSoft gave money up front to Cryptic and some percentage of the sales and subscriptions was used to offset that amount and until it was zeroed out, Cryptic wouldn't actually get any money.  This could explain why the staff was paired down to the FREEM 15 and why NCSoft decided to cast off Cryptic, simply wanting to keep all the money themselves since they actually had to pay them than offset the advance.

Just musing.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

SkyStreak

• Minion
Re: Did NCSoft "fire" Cryptic Studios? (unsure of accuracy or relevancy)
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 02:38:38 AM »
I've heard rumors that if Cryptic hadn't sold CoH to NCsoft, they were at risk of breach of contract over the development of the game. 

As bad as NCsoft's handling of CoH's closure has been, Cryptic essentially turned is back on CoH in favor of Marvel.  They basically only left a skeleton crew on CoH which may very well have put them in a difficult spot as far as the publishing agreement went.

But, again....rumor.