Author Topic: Fantastic Four Reboot!  (Read 13084 times)

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
Re: Fantastic Four Reboot!
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2012, 03:49:15 PM »
Yes, while I watched both films in the Theatre to support Stan Lee,
I wasn't happy with the actors chosen. Mr.Fantastic was o.k. though.
Human Torch was very well cast... he was hot!  (Oh, man, I am so funny!)

Superlorne

• Underling
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2012, 01:46:10 AM »
Okay, so Jessica Alba as The Invisible Woman may have been appealing eye-candy, but didn't do the role justice, by many accounts. Whom do YOU think would make a better Susan Storm Richards?

My particular vote is for Julia Stiles.

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2012, 03:49:08 AM »
Oh.  Yes, let's just do that... on second thought, no.

I seriously don't want any known people.  I want unknowns this time.  It's not about one character, so if it's a new actress, as well as all new actors, I'm completely fine with that.  Use the star power to run the VILLAIN.  Not the heroes.

I take y'all back to Superman '78.  Out of nowhere, bam, Christopher Reeve.  Perfect.  Outta the park.  Hackman and Brando were the heavy hitters of that film (not that Beatty, Kidder, or Ford weren't either, but still.)  Like that. 

You do that with FF, and I bet it'll be awesome, because the new heroes will *care* they got the part, and want to do it with earnest.

/But first... Whedon needs to sign up for it.  I'm completely serious.  Although I know the story's written and the director already on board.  Whedon.  Do it, Fox.
//never even *heard* of this Chronicle movie... is it good?
///Although I have heard of this show called Heroes... which was good at first... so maybe it will be ok if they can't secure Whedon.  Or, if possible, Kevin Smith. Totally.
////Oh, yeah, I can see it now... Jay and Silent Bob show up somewhere hangin' around a corner while all the action ensues.  Epic.
/////Oh, ok... Alice Eve.  I can totally see her in the part.  I don't know why.  Probably that Star Trek trailer.  And tell me blue isn't her color.  I dare you. http://i2.listal.com/image/2801979/600full-alice-eve.jpg  (it's sorta safe... pretty plunging though...)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 03:58:24 AM by houtex »

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2012, 05:00:35 AM »
I think Ang Lee did a brilliant job wih Hulk as he tried to make a hulk movie with story instead of just two hours of hulk smash. I get that all most people want is hulk smash with a ligh storyline though.

It's okay to have a story, as long as there's some decent smash along the way.  There's no reason you can't have both.  What I hated about Ang Lee's Hulk (other than the dogs and the dad) was the rubber-skinned, baby-faced, ever-growing Hulk (despite the hand-wavy explanations from the director, I remain convinced that it was just a convenient way to not have to put thought into keeping a consistent scale).  Of course, since the story heavily depended on the dad, there's no saving grace for that movie.

I didn't entirely hate the two more recent FF movies, though.  I hated Doom, and Reed and Sue were both forgettable, and Galactus sucked, but I liked Johnny and Ben enough that the movies were watchable.  I'm fine with a reboot if they get Doom right and don't screw up the Thing in the process. 
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Tanglefoe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2012, 01:10:07 AM »
I was a big Lost fan and can picture Michael Emmerson as a good Dr. Doom. 

Kederren

• Minion
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2012, 12:06:49 AM »
I like Emmerson, but disagree. I find his voice to be too tenor and thin. I am reminded, by your suggestion, of Caviezel, however. I think he could do Doom.

Tanglefoe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2012, 03:54:45 PM »
I've been a big fan of Jim Caviezel ever since The Count of Monte Cristo.  That would be interesting, but it would be a hard time seeing him as Dr. Doom after seeing him as Jesus  ;D

I really liked the idea of Hugo Weaving as Red Skull, but Dr.  Doom is (my opinion) so much more interesting and he would have been my first choice.  I know people had a hard time with recycling the same actor for Cap America as Human Torch so I don't see it happening.  You could counter with the fact that they both wear a mask and you would never see their face. 

Reminds me of way back when I first heard Heath Ledger was going to play Joker.  I had a hard time picturing it and said something like Cillian Murphy would have been a great Joker but they waisted him on Scarecrow.  I ended up loving Heath Ledger's Joker for the record.  That was just my reaction when I first heard about it.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2012, 10:53:38 PM »
I think Jason Isaacs could be a good Doom.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2012, 01:35:02 AM »
Never considered Jim caviezel as Doom. That's brilliant.

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2012, 06:24:21 AM »
As for the reboot, I'm ok with it.  But I would rather Fox just give up on it and hand them back to Marvel.
Yep, same here.
Unfortunately, this is likely to be another half-hearted venture just to retain the rights and make some profits as safely and efficiently as a lousy formulaic machine can spew out.

As for Doom in the previous attempts... GOOD GRIEF!!!
Doom is basically Vader before Vader! Flashier... more comicbooky! How could anyone think it a good idea to turn Doom into more of a WB/CW teenager tv show camp villain?? The rest of the first movie was tolerable (lack of depth, quality, charisma and chemistry [minus Johnny Storm on those two counts] aside), the lousy portrayal/concept of Doom destroyed that movie for me (and I am not even a big comicbook reader... although I DO love my TPB collection of the original FF books!!).

I never imagined that they could get such a great character so very wrong (and, honestly, I didn't even fully mind the different origin... although, I think it does take away from just how diabolical and devoted he is).

Oh, that just reminded me... before the first movie came out, I felt that Doom should not be the featured villain. I felt like it should have been the Skrulls and/or a host of other inter-dimensional and/or extra-terrestrial invaders all piling on top of things at once... something big, bad and absolutely fantastically crazy... THEN introduce DOOM at the end and let that lead into the second movie.

Doom just seemed, to me, to be a better you thought that was bad... now meet Dr. Doom!! and then, of course, you could pull the same thing after that with Gallactus... and so on.

By saving Doom for the sequel, you can build up his background more without having to cram it into everyone else's origin story in the first one.

But... whatever!
We'll see... But, yeah... I am not really counting on any other studios to deliver anything like what the Marvel Studios are capable of.
We lucked out with Sony going with Sam Raimi, but I don't count on such things being the norm.
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2012, 08:32:59 PM »
I think that the best Fantastic Four movie was the one by Roger Corman!

...just me?

In all seriousness, I do wish this would go to Marvel instead of being rebooted. Fingers are cossed, but it feels unlikely to not dissappoint.
Woo! - Argent Girl

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2012, 09:29:48 PM »
Never considered Jim caviezel as Doom. That's brilliant.

If you can find last nights Person of Interest and watch his performance, yeah, there's your Doom, he was downright scary.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2012, 12:57:45 AM »
I think that the best Fantastic Four movie was the one by Roger Corman!

...just me?

It was cheesy bad, but I enjoyed it.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2012, 01:18:17 AM »
It was cheesy bad, but I enjoyed it.

Is there any bad movie line delivery (besides maybe in The Happening) that trumps "We'll call you... the Fantastic Four!"?
Woo! - Argent Girl