Author Topic: A suggestion of another way to spread the word  (Read 2025 times)

PartyKake

• Minion
A suggestion of another way to spread the word
« on: December 05, 2012, 02:57:37 AM »
Now it's typical to want to vent frustration on upcoming games, as well as any games currently handled by NCSoft as much as that might cause collateral damage. But in any realistic situation that just looks childish.

However...

If there is a concerted effort to spread a message hidden in the form of constructive criticism, I think it will be more effective.

let me show you some examples.

Example a:
"NCSOFT SUCKS I HATE THEM I WILL NEVER PLAY GW2 AGAIN BECAUSE THEY'LL JUST TAKE IT AWAY WHEN YOU LEAST SUSPECT IT"

Example b:

"Guild Wars 2 is a fantastic game with a lot of awesome casual friendly ideas; it reminds me a bit of playing City of Heroes (man, those were the days), But wow is it a damn shame that it has to be overseen by NCSoft, I mean that's practically a death sentence for any MMORPG that's actually decent."

Example c:

"Blade and Soul? pssh that piece of shit with the T&A hanging out everywhere that's gonna be nothing but a grindfest and a cash grab? If you want to be too embarassed to speak of your gaming habits in public maybe."

Example d:
"Well, it's no City of Heroes, but I suppose I'll give it a download once it goes free-to-play. Though given NCSoft's track record they'll probably wait until it's too late for that to save it."

(Seriously, that part I emphasized, copy and paste that and use it everywhere.)

Observe how in examples a and c, you tend to gloss over the content of the message if you would agree or disagree with it. It probably won't win over any converts. Examples B and D, however, are the kinds of comments that might slip past initial attempts to control the spread of information and clip comments to make the games appear more favorable.

In all actuality though, it's going to take a lot of varied commentary to really win this war. There have to be all 4 different kinds of commentary in order to really spread the word of what we're trying to say. And, more importantly, it's all honesty. Yes, we're upset at NCSoft, and yes, it's a shame that Guild Wars 2 and Arenanet are going to catch a lot of flack for their association with them. Much as we don't like causing this collateral damage, it will happen. We have to make it clear that our friends need to "cut the umbilical" with NCSoft as the parent company burns down around them.

So let's start this new phase of #avengeCoH. Hit up every single social networking-powered site you can find and make sure that our commentary is the only commentary that anyone sees when they look up anything related to NCSoft.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Re: A suggestion of another way to spread the word
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 03:05:40 AM »
Somewhere, more than 5 pages back in the thread headers, Ammon posted some notes to this effect. While a couple of folks on here are waxing sociopathic, it's mostly blowing off steam in the face of the loss of our beloved game immediately followed by a batch of negative press for NCSoftcore (see references to Blade & Soul if you're unfamiliar with this nickname). By and large, yes, we're being "constructive," damning with faint praise, but we are, at our core, a mob, prone to occasional outbursts.  I wouldn't worry, unless it continues longer than this evening. Or, if Tony calls for Jihad.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 03:09:41 AM »
Somewhere, more than 5 pages back in the thread headers, Ammon posted some notes to this effect. While a couple of folks on here are waxing sociopathic, it's mostly blowing off steam in the face of the loss of our beloved game immediately followed by a batch of negative press for NCSoftcore (see references to Blade & Soul if you're unfamiliar with this nickname). By and large, yes, we're being "constructive," damning with faint praise, but we are, at our core, a mob, prone to occasional outbursts.  I wouldn't worry, unless it continues longer than this evening. Or, if Tony calls for Jihad.

As much as I'd enjoy dismantling NCSoft brick by brick, that's not our goal. Our goal is the safe restoration of our beloved City. We're all still "Blue" here. The movement can't survive us going "Red," but "Red" style tempers are flaring. Don't confuse emotion for action, or vice versa, folks. Just because I have "Red" outlooks and feelings, doesn't mean I'm about to scream for -actual- blood or that I enjoy watching Seattle getting dismantled one batch of layoffs at a time.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 04:47:41 AM »
I agree,  I am angry and hurt but I feel most of us will remain rational because it is the best for this game.  Besides we don't wish ill upon NCSofts employees they are people like you and me with families and friends we don't want them losing their jobs.  Sure inside of us we would like to see NCSoft go bankrupt but I don't think any of us want to see a thousands of employees get laid off,  Its not their fault that they are owned by greedy/somewhat crazy business men.  All of this madness can stop,  if NCSoft just agrees to sell the game.

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 05:06:38 AM »
PartyKake is correct, though I think the combination of the two types of messages are most effective.

We have not gone redside. Nobody has advocated any breaking of the law. Any unicorn-like behavior has been squelched by vigilance here. In sum, this is not a mob, this is a movement.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 08:55:02 AM »
We are good people. That does not mean we have to be nice people. NCSoft in particular has managed to overdraw our niceness so badly they get none of it anymore, not even on credit.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.