Author Topic: Union Sunset: Atlas Zone 2. Farewell and may your milk always flow true.  (Read 2307 times)

Bovine Avenger

• Underling
Greetings all,

It's taken me a few days to get around to this; On the night of the sunset, I was riding a coach between Leeds and Bristol after catching up with old friends, some of whom for the first time in over 12 years. But with fog delaying us an extra hour and 40 minutes, it took nearly 7 hours on a Megabus to get home. The bus hadn't been cleaned all day, so half way into the journey the toilet became full and couldn't be used. Behind me, someone kept tugging on my seat as he danced around and monotonously "sang" to Dr Dre for the entire distance. I arrived in Bristol at 1am, only to miss the final hop and have to huddle against the cold in a bus stop for another hour for the next; At this point someone thought it would be a great idea to dump his girlfriend and walk off, so she burst into tears and the remaining night travellers awkwardly asking if we could help, but no, I'm fine THANK YOU...

I got home at nearly 3 am, and set alarm clock and mobile phone for 7am; the world was to end at 8am, and despite all the above, I was still not going to miss the final moments of City of Heroes. I did however miss Atlas instance 1, it became full just a few minutes before I logged in and tried to get in the zone... in a way, I'm glad that I didn't as I got to witness Seyshara Sanjiyana get a healing badge with just seconds to go. I didn't type much, or make much sense as I was exhausted and semi-asleep. I didn't have the hard drive space or focus to do much more meaningful than stand and soak up the atmosphere....

BUT I WAS THERE.

I started in April 2004. I remember grinding Rikti monkeys the OLD way in Terra Volta with friends for the insane badge when it first came out, leaping from pipe to pipe and laughing when we fell off and striking stupid poses and seeing who could knock the monkeys the furthest... so somewhere in that ground is my Rikti Monkey vanity pet too. And my clockwork buffing pet that looks a bit like the mascot of Lawnmower Deth. And for some of the time, someone's spandex clad bum right in the camera shot... but I was too busy reading the text... Yes, I'll remember you. And you. And damn, did you and you and I have some great task forces. And badging runs. And... I didn't know how to say goodbye, even with so many months preparation. I don't think I ever really realised I was going to have to say goodbye to any of the MMOs I've ever played.

Of course, NCSoft closed the forums the moment the game ended, in one final act of ("Seeing an ostard" - Ed.) curse them to eternity. So I'm posting a link to the video here, and I hope that is ok. And I hope someone finds, amongst the text moving too fast too follow, amongst the emotion too deep to measure, a little something to treasure in this recording of the last torch-lit moments of a city we all loved.

http://youtu.be/QTChvThKLrc

(Video is live now)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 10:16:28 PM by Bovine Avenger »

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
Re: Union Sunset: Atlas Zone 2. Farewell and may your milk always flow true.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 06:52:42 AM »
Thanks for the youtube video and your post.  I'm cherishing our collective CoH memories.  I had a much easier last day logistically than you--what an ordeal!  I'm guessing you are among the many Cow toon fans from your name, Bovine.  The first time I saw one of those, i think it might of been Tanker Big N' Beefy, I was laughing so hard, watching his little hooves pounding away to grab aggro, and decided I have to get me one of those, and made Cow Wahbunga, SS/Invul tank.  The cow toons were hilarious.  Ah so many happy memories about CoH.  Thanks again!   :)
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Turjan

• Elite Boss
  • You cannot kill a dream
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 09:56:27 PM »
At the risk of treading on your hooves...I mean toes...I'll just say that was a very Mooooooving video Mr.B ;)

I also took the opportunity to watch your Winter Event Slalom 'right hand path run' video - nice job! 8)

thunderforce

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 02:59:43 AM »
Seems as good a place as any; I was in Atlas 2 on Union for the black dawn. I wrote this:

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~damerell/games/cox/cox-postmortem.html

afterwards. (Fair warning, I talk about what I didn't like as well as what I did). Surprisingly upset about it all.

... oh, and Bovine, nice to see myself in your video. Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 03:11:38 AM by thunderforce »

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 12:02:11 PM »
Seems as good a place as any; I was in Atlas 2 on Union for the black dawn. I wrote this:

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~damerell/games/cox/cox-postmortem.html

afterwards. (Fair warning, I talk about what I didn't like as well as what I did). Surprisingly upset about it all.

... oh, and Bovine, nice to see myself in your video. Thanks.

I liked your screenshots as well as your essay.  I don't mind your including what you didn't like about CoH.  Tastes vary.  Like you, there were things I liked even loved about City of Heroes as well as things I didn't particularly like.  I think the dev team did a good job to accomodate the wide range of tastes and playing styles in CoH; I think they were largely successful in this.  Naw, I'm not surprised by anyone feeling upset over this.  I was amazed after the Sunset Announcement at the strength and timbre of my feelings about this.  The SGmates I'm most in contact with are men and women in their 30-50's, and frankly it's taking some of us time to "get over it".  CoH let us bring to life our own characters created in childhood imagination from early superhero comicbook reading, thus doubly nostalgic.  Add to that that many of us played daily, and were invested at many levels.  Thanks again for your essay and screenshots.

I think someone else said it earlier, but thanks again, Bovine Avenger for the mooooooooving videos!   :D
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

thunderforce

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 12:58:29 PM »
Add to that that many of us played daily, and were invested at many levels.

What puzzles me is... I didn't. I played a lot when the game first came out; unsubbed for a year or so, and played a lot again getting Thunderforce to 50; but then I had another hiatus thanks to being out of work - it came as news to me when the game went F2P (a mixed blessing - I was pleased enough to be able to go and lurk in Atlas Park, and I had enough Vet Rewards for basically all the unlockables, but I don't really like the nickle-and-diming of micropayments) but I only looked in now and then.

But when I heard the game was going away, I was devastated. I always thought when I got another job (and as it turns out I start in January) I'd resubscribe - it's peanuts if you are in work - and look in now and then. It was enough to know City of X was there - I didn't have to be actually playing it.

Even now, it feels like I ought to be able to launch it and jump away; I can practically hear the leitmotif for The Gish...

Bovine Avenger

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 10:01:20 PM »
The thing about City of Heroes was that no, it was never perfect... but at the same time, it was never mean spirited either, in the way most modern MMOs are; either through lack of respect for the player's wider health (the grind mechanic is as pure an example of skinner-boxing someone as you'll ever see, an evil that exists just to keep subs flowing in) or contemptuous of the concept that gaming is supposed to be fun above all else. The things CoH did right, supporting heavy alt-aholics, sidekicking so people can just group up and play, Ouroboros so you can't out-level content, were all supportive of you the player... like an old friend you can always hook up with no matter how much time has passed, and welcomed you back at any time and any engagement level. The things City of Heroes did wrong, especially towards the end, were based around violating that sense of tolerant inclusiveness ; content gating and dividing the cowmunity with the Incarnate system, switching to the Free To Play model whose basic cash grabbing unfairness just wasn't suited to the soul of CoH... Now that wonderful character, whose story you wanted to tell, which was the core attraction of CoH, became something to be ashamed of because unless you forked out for access to the Invention system, he was completely underpowered even if sidekicked; Kick Ass had lost the ability to kick and was now just ass.

But still, even towards the end, the game was rightly loved, because for 7-odd years it had just been a lovable, toussel-haired rapscallion, engaged in hijinks on the streets during an age of merciless cut throat Robber-Barons. Unfortunately now, in art as well as real life, the Barons have won... at least, on the level of realpolitik. We can still hang onto the soul that made it worth experiencing however, and deny them the ultimate victory. Long live Paragon City, in our hearts and minds then!

Bovine Avenger

• Underling
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 10:15:44 PM »
At the risk of treading on your hooves...I mean toes...I'll just say that was a very Mooooooving video Mr.B ;)

I also took the opportunity to watch your Winter Event Slalom 'right hand path run' video - nice job! 8)

There should also be videos of the left hand path, and the Bunny and Expert courses there too; Even if I'd not played all year, I'd sub just for Xmas because that zone had a lovely seasonal feel to me... it became something of a tradition in fact to spend a few days before or after Christmas being silly in the Ski Chalet, sharing tips and buffs to help others race... one year I cownfess, I even accessed a friends account (naughty, but they can't take our accounts away from us twice now can they?) just because he couldn't get the badges himself and didn't want to miss them. I'd bounce all over pretending to be "looking for that sexy sounding yak" as if my character really thought there'd be a bovine somewhere else on the map.  All gone now, at least until we go the true outlaw route and get private servers up somehow.

I also recorded a walkthrough of my MA arc... a wonderful idea, what a pity like in real life the farming, exploitative dross drowns out real art. And that they didn't fix the plethora of bugs introduced later... I was quite shocked by how many affected my arc when I went one last time to preserve it for YouTube at least. But still, whilst it was there, it was our own little Paragon Studios; a sign of just how much love and faith the game had in us, the player that they let us write for the game itself...

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 10:54:08 PM »
What puzzles me is... I didn't. I played a lot when the game first came out; unsubbed for a year or so, and played a lot again getting Thunderforce to 50; but then I had another hiatus thanks to being out of work - it came as news to me when the game went F2P (a mixed blessing - I was pleased enough to be able to go and lurk in Atlas Park, and I had enough Vet Rewards for basically all the unlockables, but I don't really like the nickle-and-diming of micropayments) but I only looked in now and then.

But when I heard the game was going away, I was devastated. I always thought when I got another job (and as it turns out I start in January) I'd resubscribe - it's peanuts if you are in work - and look in now and then. It was enough to know City of X was there - I didn't have to be actually playing it.

Even now, it feels like I ought to be able to launch it and jump away; I can practically hear the leitmotif for The Gish...

A number of veteran players wrote to say how much CoH meant to them; how even at times when they didn't play it was something they felt they could rely upon as always being there.  Some wrote about playing City of Heroes got them thru rough times and had been a mainstay at times.  Due to harder economic times a number dropped their subs and opted for F2P tho none of them liked doing it and most planned to resub at their first opportunity.

I've been getting some of my game "fix" by watching various of the videos on youtube.

Here's a link to the audio file for the Gish: http://wiki.cohtitan.com/w/images//c/cc/KingsRow_TheGish.ogg  taken from this:  http://wiki.cohtitan.com/wiki/Music

thunderforce

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 06:02:31 PM »
Thanks, but it's OK. I've still got CoX and PiggViewer installed. What are they going to do, cancel my account? :-/

Mothers_Love

• Underling
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 03:07:22 AM »
I arrived in Bristol at 1am, only to miss the final hop and have to huddle against the cold in a bus stop for another hour for the next....

Awww Bovine!, I bet you were friesian-cold!.  :'(

It was a pleasure to serve alongside you.  Paragon was a richer and funnier place watching you offer Heroes freshly squeezed milkshake straight from the teat at places like Wentworths.  Udderly fantastic!...x
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 03:13:37 AM by Mothers_Love »
Dropping my knitting to buff you whilst hitting - Proudly protecting Paragon City's little ones since 2004