Author Topic: An article written with PURE AWESOME!  (Read 42235 times)

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
Re: An article written with PURE AWESOME!
« Reply #120 on: December 05, 2012, 10:31:54 AM »
Now wouldn't that be something.

exterior: a prison facility.

Walking slowly but proudly out of the gates is a man wearing a Paragon Star. Leaning on his shoulder, obviously weary from his long captivity is another man in science fiction armor. Behind them, very much worse for the wear are another man in faded drver's clothes, a man in faded medieval wear, and finally, another man carrying a box of mechanical parts from some kind of machine.

THIS!!! THIS!!! THIS!!!

If this turns out to be true, then this image MUST BE MADE!

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #121 on: December 05, 2012, 10:45:32 AM »
And to echo all the others on this thread in saying - Way to go Mercedes!

And yes - this is hitting them where they live and all that.

I must admit, I've come to these threads tonight VERY late and already tired. So I can't comment very coherently, but this is the best thing I've heard in WEEKS.

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #122 on: December 05, 2012, 11:26:49 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
That's me having a happy.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 11:34:23 AM by rae »
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

Rae

• Elite Boss
« Reply #123 on: December 05, 2012, 11:31:26 AM »
I know that.. you know. We've seen the numbers but this image gave me a happy.

I think NC Soft had managed to hide quite a bit of the bad press they were getting from their home ground. No longer.

Might try and chat up a few more Korean journalists if I get the chance :)

--
@Vandellia

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #124 on: December 05, 2012, 11:32:30 AM »
In my experience, if one newspaper in a locality picks up on a story, their competitors follow suit.  I'm hoping that holds true in the Korean press :)

Now that would be just great!!!  Especially if any Korean journalists happen to want to chase this story (not that it's hard to find Titan Network).  I imagine that everything reasonable that can be done to get this covered in the Korean press is being done.  Just that one take-away of "Nothing has been decided" is awesome!!
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Rae

• Elite Boss
« Reply #125 on: December 05, 2012, 11:33:57 AM »
Fingers crossed it happens :)
--
@Vandellia

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #126 on: December 05, 2012, 11:36:19 AM »
http://www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/overview?symbol=036570.KS

Sorry for the late reply to this (This was on page 2), but thanks for finding that for me, that made me smile.

I'm also apparently going to hell, I guess for smiling.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #127 on: December 05, 2012, 12:15:16 PM »
They did it a lot more if you had [Confuse].

Oh, that doesn't work here. le sigh...

I tried to click on it. :-\

SARobb

• Boss
  • Rawr.
« Reply #128 on: December 05, 2012, 01:32:37 PM »
I'm normally a lurker, as one could tell by even a cursory glance at my post count, but I just needed to drop the cloak long enough to Thank everyone for all they're doing to save our family and home.

My family and I thank you all.
*holds the torch high*
Stand up for what you beleive in - even if you are standing alone

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #129 on: December 05, 2012, 02:03:34 PM »
I was wondering if the article was at least partly responsible for the stock drop as well. We have a whole thread devoted to that graph that's full of gleeful speculation on whether our noise was affecting the decline. While it was nice, it was probably as much to do with general declines in all markets coupled with perhaps a negative view by investors of top management that had nothing to do with us.

I think we can finally say we had a real affect on them. And, despite VV's understandable modesty, it was pretty much her, with a gentle nudge from rae. Thank you both.

(Sidenote: as glad as I am that this has become the new "official" CoH forum, I miss being able to catch up with more than one thread over breakfast...)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #130 on: December 05, 2012, 02:10:14 PM »
Two comments to things way back in the thread:

1) Mercedes' Lackeys obviously but paradoxically drive Mustangs. Which have A.I.s with neural uplinks bonded to their drivers.

2) Mercury is tide-locked, so if you live on the dark side, you're always on the dark side. (If you live on the day side, you're already vapor. Or a super-being. Personally, I keep one anti-fire-damage-enchanted redoubt on the day side to use as my stronghold in case I ever find myself at war with a vampire lord.)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #131 on: December 05, 2012, 02:12:39 PM »
I thought Mercury was the one one its side, with "north" pointed at the sun.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #132 on: December 05, 2012, 02:14:57 PM »
I thought Mercury was the one one its side, with "north" pointed at the sun.
No, that would be Uranus.

Fulcrum

• Lieutenant
  • The Phoenix Effect
« Reply #133 on: December 05, 2012, 02:17:19 PM »
I often suspect that the powers that be at NCsoft expected a little hullabaloo when the servers went down as they got from Auto-Assault, Tabula Rasa and others.

I can guaran-frelling-tee you that they had no frelling idea what sort of quagmire they were getting into.  If they knew then what they know now... I suspect things might have been done just a -teensy- bit differently.

I read somewhere that $1 worth of 'bad' advertising costs a company more than $100 to undo.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #134 on: December 05, 2012, 02:18:53 PM »
Actually Mercury does in fact rotate on its axis. But it does so so very slowly that a day there is longer than the year.

Which, if you were on the surface, produces some REALLY odd effects over time. Such as - at some points on the planet, the sun would appear to rise into the sky, slowly stop, then set again back on the SAME horizon it rose from!

http://cseligman.com/text/planets/mercuryrot.htm

(James Burke) "I mean... what?" (/James Burke)

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #135 on: December 05, 2012, 02:19:21 PM »
Uranus has its axis of rotation parallel - or nearly so - to the plane of revolution of our known planets. It is not tide-locked, so it has a Uranus-year-long day/night cycle based on its revolution around the sun.

Mercury is tide-locked to the sun the way that Luna is tide-locked to the Earth. It rotates completely in the same amount of time it revolves completely, thus keeping one face permanently pointed at the sun, and one face permanently pointed away.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #136 on: December 05, 2012, 02:20:30 PM »
Actually Mercury does in fact rotate on its axis. But it does so so very slowly that a day there is longer than the year.

Which, if you were on the surface, produces some REALLY odd effects over time. Such as - at some points on the planet, the sun would appear to rise into the sky, slowly stop, then set again back on the SAME horizon it rose from!

http://cseligman.com/text/planets/mercuryrot.htm
Huh, really? I thought it rotated at the same speed it revolved. That means it's not actually tide-locked, which is...odd...considering how close it is to that gravitational body.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #137 on: December 05, 2012, 02:22:25 PM »
(Oops, needless pointing out of something that someone else already got the point of.)

Emily Litella: "Nevermind!"

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #138 on: December 05, 2012, 02:28:27 PM »
Huh, really? I thought it rotated at the same speed it revolved. That means it's not actually tide-locked, which is...odd...considering how close it is to that gravitational body.

I remembered that Mercury is not tide-locked specifically because Larry Niven mentioned in his compilation N-Space that his first sale of a story to (I believe) John Campbell was of a story called "The Coldest Place" which had as it's central assumption that Mercury was tide-locked and that the side facing away from the sun could have temperatures in the minus 300 to minus 400 range as was believed by all at the time.

His story was about to be published when the news came out that astronomers discovered the fact of Mercury's rotation. Chagrined, he called up Campbell and asked him if he wanted to pull the story. Campbell went ahead and published it, with a short disclaimer, telling Niven that he couldn't be held at fault for scientific inaccuracy because when he wrote the story, it fit the facts as then known.

And thus we see one of the earliest examples of "if the story works, hang the physics". :D

Edit: I'd have to look it up to be sure, but I seem to recall that one reason why Mercury doesn't stay tidal locked is because it gets jostled around as it passes through the sun's intense bands of magnetic force that close. I could be remembering it wrong though. It might have been due to something else, like being blasted occasionally by flares.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 02:35:36 PM by Atlantea »

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #139 on: December 05, 2012, 02:35:06 PM »
YAY!  AMAZING!

Mercedes really outdid herself here.  I just hope that there is something left of the poor woman come re-launch day.   ;D  We're all going to be playing, and poor Mercedes is going to be lying in bed from exhaustion!

This is all most excellent, and most welcome news.

However, lets not jinx ourselves by seeing just this one crumbling of the corporate facade as a huge victory; we go wild with joy when the ink is dry on that document transferring the IP, and not before.

Now is the time to keep up that thousand-yard stare over the rim of our shields. "We got plenty more where that came from; now give us what we want. And do it before you have nothing LEFT to give, for we can make that happen too. Give us back the keys to our Cities, and you escape bloody, bowed.... but still alive to fight another day."