Author Topic: So can anybody help me to find a new game(home) ?  (Read 3941 times)

nitz

• Underling
So can anybody help me to find a new game(home) ?
« on: December 04, 2012, 12:30:32 AM »
Hello!

So, I'm looking elsewhere to call home again after my favorite and only game was shut down because we live in a capitalism world and that's the only reason I find barely acceptable, I am having a real hard time to find a new game to play, I was trying before the shut down was announced but I could never leave CoH.

I am generally very open minded and adaptable but mostly I'm looking for something casual, fun, with a great community and something that isn't very "demanding" to "get there" if you know what I mean, no endless grinding and no "serious business" - Ok, I don't know how to explain it... Something like CoX?!?

Here are the games I've tried, please keep in mind I might try them again so I can get more in depth, please help me finding out!  :-X

* World of Warcraft [2008, 2009]

Few friends quit CoH during Issue 11-14 era and most of them ended in WoW, I liked the game but the cartoonish atmosphere and a tiny bit of a generic feeling made my interest in it fade away soon, it's a game I don't hate but I can't really explain why it didn't "click", I still have friends playing it but... meh?

* Aion - [2009 to 2010]

Pre-ordered it, had some fun for a year or so but it's not for me, I don't like to feel like a scrub and in Aion you must work too much towards gear and people take this game too seriously, not really an option for a casual gamer who likes to team and casually PvP. Community felt like one of the worst I've seen. Did came back a few times but still didn't catch me. Too grindy, people require you to use Ventrilo and gear-check you - Siel, level 60 Sorcerer.

* Rift [2011]

Many friends migrated from Aion to Rift during the serve merges, I did try this game twice but the game just didn't "click", I got bored too fast.

* Champions Online [2011]

Was really curious about Cryptic newest super-hero MMO, I have to admit I didn't give it enough time but I couldn't help and kept comparing CO to CoH and in every way CoH felt better, maybe I should give it another try but I'm not very hopeful.

* DCUO [2012]

Fun but felt like playing a console game, does not fill the hole.

* Tera [2012]

Pre ordered it also, had a blast at the beginning, I loved the way the game worked and looked so beautiful but I also failed to make friends and socialize, I got a few characters to level 18 and never grouped with anyone, I ended up abandoning it but had overall a good feeling.

* The Secret World [2012]

This one seemed promising, I loved the concept and it's unique approach, it's a worthy candidate, their trial is too short and I really really got to stop buying games I wont ever play again, I might make another account.

* The Elder Scrolls Online [2013]

So, I've played Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim, I just f***n love the series, it's my favorite game so I'm looking forward ESO but a few people let me down pointing me out this game was going to be a bit focused on PvP but I didn't really read any previews or anything yet.

0nehanklap

• Lieutenant
Re: So can anybody help me to find a new game(home) ?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 07:32:33 AM »
Don't know how much help I'll be, but I'm in a similar position, nothing else really clicks.

I've got friends in SWTOR, LOTRO, Vanguard, GW2, and DDO right now, all but GW2 I have active accts, but no interest in playing.  DCUO looks pretty, but is clunky and the top end characters are all pretty much the same - customization is badly gimped.  CO has a lot of downside as well, lacking the tight community being the main one.  But it has a lot of the flavor (and frankly some direct rip-offs) from CoX in its appearance because of its Cryptic origins.  It does have a decent character generator and some worthwhile gameplay moments, but also a lot of not-so-great stuff you have to plow through.   It's much more linear than CoX and the main chat channels are consumed with gear spam.  All that weighed in, I'm still gonna recommend it for CoX refugees who have nowhere else in mind.  It's easy to learn with the "silver" Archetypes, they are well-balanced and strong enough to play straight out of the box, and customizable as far as appearance, travel powers, and a couple of open power/talent choices along the way, as well as with gear.  Not an ideal solution (I'm still hoping for a Mickey Mouse solution I guess), but the ideal solution died 4 days ago.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 07:38:13 AM »
DCUO
It actually is a lot of fun.  But it functions very similarly to a hack and slash type game in which you happen to be around other players.  Teaming is rare and the interface is clunky in general.  Customization is horrid.  Appearance gets a passing grade from a few cool-looking pieces, but there is ZERO powers customization.  You choose one type of power with very little variety.  It's a cute little distraction, but will not keep you coming back like Cities did.

Champions
I haven't played very far into Champions... I couldn't stand the interface.  The character creator has a lot of potential but is horribly unwieldy.  I won't consider playing again unless I'm subbed.  The archetypes they provide you with are just stupid.  The freeform AT concept is pretty cool, and I'd love to give it a shot... but again, you need to sub or dish out a ridiculous amount of points ("Zen" I think?) 

JRVthatsME

• Lieutenant
  • When times are hard, take a stand and dont give up
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 12:46:21 PM »
I'm part of the CoH community that is begining to form in Champions Online. The Archetype in CO are actually reasonably good for playing specific hero concepts. Aside from subscrbing you can purchcase an extra character slot that will allow you to create freeform characters in for 5000 ZEN (like Paragon Points were in CoH) and it is possibly to get a small amount of free zen each day in game through the Questionite Exchange. I have talked about these tings in detail in the guide I created. If you would like to try out Champions Online I have given information on how to get in contact with other CoH players there in chapter 2 of my guide http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,6623.msg83375.html#msg83375 (I will be addint more CoH friendly Supergroups to the list as I find out about them).

Features coming in future update for champions online are Supergroup Bases and The Foundry (Cryptics version of AE).

Timelord Tom

• RIP Timlord
  • Lieutenant
    • Paragon Radio Gallifrey
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 01:42:15 PM »
I've got a free Champions Online account that I'll be playing on. Comparing it to COH? Meh. COH I could play for hours, going from one mission to another. Teaming in COH generally was good, with plenty of people role playing their toons along the way.

CO? So far, teaming has been like teaming with a bunch of computer run drones. Hopefully that will change. Longest I've been able to play at a go is one mission, and I'm done. The missions themselves aren't so bad, not as good as COH in my opinion. What really gets to me is the graphics. Graphics shouldn't matter if the game play was good, so that should tell you something right there.

And here's a side by side of the same character, Diabla Roja, as she appears in each game:

JRVthatsME

• Lieutenant
  • When times are hard, take a stand and dont give up
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 02:21:03 PM »
There are some really good costume recreations done by

Atlantea http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,6413.msg82238.html#msg82238

and

Night-Hawk07 http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,6413.msg82621.html#msg82621

The graphics aren't us CoH players would like them. Bit too cartoon like. Something I did is decrease the brightness a bit and increase the 3 distance detail settings to compansate. Also make sure to either turn dynamic lighting on or set lighting quality to high or you wont see any detail on costumes or scenery. I also like to turn half resolution on just to make the graphic look a little rougher. I also turned off reflection quality because if just made leather and especially metal costume parts extra shiny and made the metal more like an actually coloured mirror.

The community experience and RP will take some time as we are still finding each other in the game but it's coming along. Nothing will ever compare to or replace CoH but we do what we can with what we've got.

BobMc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 02:58:53 PM »
One game I'm wishing was further along, and will give a try to eventually is Otherland.

1.-I loved the books
2.-It looks like it will support a very social atmosphere.

I have no idea how it will play as a game though, and it's in the earliest betas,mostly overseas only beta, I think, right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiPDkMC8APk&list=FLzaXCk-FiIEM4x6V6mIHMRQ&index=17&feature=plcp

http://otherland.gamigo.com/en
The final line of a post  by Sweet_Sarah on Liberty
"Together we entered a city of strangers, we made it a city of friends, and we leave it a City of Heroes."

nitz

• Underling
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 05:13:21 PM »
Thanks so far,

CO is back on the list for another try, I should as well spend some money in it and see how it works out.

I have to agree about the graphics part, I dislike it a lot, I will try playing a bit with the settings and see if I can get comfortable with it.

I also failed to recreate my characters in CO but I will give it another try, I can't promise I'm going to spend too much if I don't feel it has "clicked" to me. As soon as I get home, I'll read through JRVthatsME's guide and download the game.

My favorite characters I was playing recently were my Dark/Storm Controller - chaos chaos chaos, it was really fun and she looked great with some costume parts of Carnival of Light mixed with "Witch" parts. My TW/WP Brute whom I spent billions with IOs and was a killing devastating machine, looked like a medieval vampire hunter of some sort and finally my former "main" characters I had just recently moved from Pinnacle to Virtue, Ice/Fire tanker and Ice/Ice blaster.

Really miss them, they all had some stories behind them, I was mostly doing First Ward/Night Ward and most of the newer content as much as possible. Sadly when the shut down was announced I gave up and only went back to export them to .xml, my account was left with about 4000 paragon points.

Otherland looks very cool, I'm looking forward to try it out in an eventual open beta.

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 05:34:18 PM »
So far CO is doing allright but missing some things I relly want, like the ability to roll villains.

Still got to give DCUO a new try.

BTW, it is important to note DCUO WAS designed to play like a console game. That's not necesarely a bad thing, but I can see how some players may not like it. I used to play CoH with a gamepad for many years so I do like the feel. They however lack other things I want in a super hero MMO, like a non-sparkly power set that would fit more superman-type builds.

The secret world is also in my sight to try out.

Im definitively craving for Elder Scrolls but that's a way off.
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

I'm signing off and taking a break, blindly hope things change.