Author Topic: Your favorite thing about City of Heroes  (Read 10623 times)

Alchemedic

• Underling
Re: Your favorite thing about City of Heroes
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2012, 08:04:35 PM »
Awesome. The envenomated dagger was one of my favorite temp powers.

Pffft... I used the "throwing knives" power that you get at level 1. I didn't need no stinkin' venom to aggro Romulus!

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2012, 08:05:57 PM »
That's just the thing. If you didn't choose "Natural" as your origin, you didn't get "Throwing Knives" :D
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

Ashen Fury

• Boss
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2012, 02:39:58 AM »
Honestly? To me this game felt like the opportunity to express my creative side in a way I never could have otherwise, being not terribly good at drawing or most other forms of artistry. I was able to think of a way i wanted to look, and make it happen, almost every time. You almost never saw identical costumes, unless it was a sg uniform or a team-concept. The aspect of uniqueness and the freedom we had to choose how we fit into the world was just something no other game has.
Permanently Scrapperlocked.

Love CoH music? Want EVERY SINGLE FILE?
http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,7192.0.html

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2012, 04:40:29 AM »
My favorite thing about City of Heroes is that I was able to make this list:

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,5754.msg65089.html#msg65089

Alchemedic

• Underling
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2012, 04:30:14 PM »

That list is spot-on.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2012, 05:11:16 PM »

omg, it's like you went into my head and telepathically pulled out the list of reasons why I don't play other mmo's.

Cryfire

• Lieutenant
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2012, 09:20:49 PM »
3 things...

1. The community.

2. Character Creations, costumes and powers.

3. Being able to log on at any time day or night and finding something to do be it solo or hitting Virture or Freedom late at night for team stuff.

Flamazing Sally

• Minion
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2012, 10:34:22 PM »
Community and costumes   :'(

tigerbaby

• Underling
  • accept NO substitute for HAPPY!
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2012, 03:33:34 AM »
There are so many favourite things, but #1 for me was logging in on Pinnacle Tigerbaby, and the way it felt like settling down in a comfy easy chair with a beloved book on a snowy afternoon.

But I can't believe nobody has brought up...Badges!  Such gratifying, simple, dumb fun was CoH Badge-hunting.  And whoa, bonus - some of them earned you some pretty boss accolades, too.  Wouldn't real life be substantially improved if every so often 'BADGE EARNED' shimmered over your head to recognize some benchmark you hadn't even realized existed?

That, and the big pink donut in Faultline.  How I loved and miss that donut /em teardrop

n6149s2

• Underling
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2012, 03:19:48 AM »
The fact that I could play for 14 hours straight, and no one would think that was weird :)

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2012, 03:55:10 AM »
Gosh, where do I start....everything already said PLUS, it was the cheapest therapy you could ever get.
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2012, 06:56:06 AM »
Aside from the forums (there were many months where I was subscribed but never actually played the game), the character creation and immense number of slots (not to mention the genre) were the largest draw for me.  I had a number of problems with the game that had me itching to jump to another superhero game as soon as a more palatable one were to surface, but very few superhero games emerged and the negatives of ChO and DCUO at their launches kept me away from those games (ChO *now* is much improved compared to launch, and I'm curious whether DCUO is better than it was at the end of Beta).
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

DJMoose

• Missing His Jeep
  • Boss
  • To believe in the heroic makes heroes.
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2012, 05:06:18 PM »

EXACTLY!

• Let you fight time-traveling alien Nazis with giant robots in Ancient Rome (yes, really)
This is my favorite! 8)
Serkana The Wise
Primal Praetorian

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2012, 05:38:59 PM »
Costumes and the customization ability of those costumes. I could make anything from a regular bloke on the street, to a rendition of a pazuzu, to something that looks like a stereotypical angel but is one of the most vile villians. That was good stuff.

Dollmistress

• Underling
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2012, 01:39:10 AM »
Flying, oh so much flying.

The funny little takeoff sound effect, the perfect manoeuvrability of the camera, the limitless exploration and attack options being airborne presented, soaring towards the sunset, hovering in place...endless fun, right up to the dinky sound of your feet hitting the ground again, whether it was the metal of a black market truck, stone flooring, wooden planks, etc.

The first time I FINALLY hunted down and successfully blew the Arachnos Flyer into satisfyingly tiny bits, after a full year of trying and several ludicrous attempts at tricking the Devs into fixing it, is a close second :)

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2012, 03:34:31 AM »
The top 3:

(3) Durability, particularly in the melee classes.  My Tankers were stone walls (sometimes literally) taking everything that came at them, my Brutes were wrecking balls laughing as return attacks bounced off.

(2) Masterminds.  So many pets.  So much fine control.  The Pet controls in other games are a pale imitation, if there are any at all.

(1) Any incredibly cool character I thought of in my head always translated perfectly to an incredibly cool character in the game itself.  I loved every character I made, on all levels - costume, powerset, effectiveness, animations, etc.  No other game has ever done that.

I loved many other things, like flying (of course!), and the sheer usefulness of Buff/Debuff/Control sets (a rarity in RPGs, let alone MMORPGs), and how quickly updates were coming (there was always something new and exciting on the horizon!), and the world and the stories and the oh god I still miss it horribly.

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2012, 06:46:24 AM »
I have thought long and hard about this.  I believe I can say this and be absolutely correct for me:

Everything.  It was all my favorite.

Yeah.  That sums it up.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2012, 10:06:19 AM »
You know, over the years we called many parts of the game overpowered. Regen, super strength, kinetics, IO sets... the list goes on. But really... compared to every other MMO out there, everyone was overpowered. Everyone and everything, from the squishiest blaster to the most tricked out of brutes. And because everyone was overpowered... no one was. The whole game, players and mobs alike just operated at a higher power level than any other game. It was a big part of what made us feel like superheroes.

Servantes

• Minion
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2012, 09:53:26 AM »
Avatar Strength, and City of heroes got it right.

The fact you 'felt' like a Super Hero / Super Villain in almost every instance, You FELT like you could take on a Mob of 25 enemy's who are 5 plus levels at once.

not the current crap most games stick you with, 1v1 or 1v3, how is a random Lizard that's -2 my level that's not even my height able to kill me who is decked out in max level items?

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2012, 01:46:47 PM »
The whole game, players and mobs alike just operated at a higher power level than any other game.

The fact you 'felt' like a Super Hero / Super Villain in almost every instance, You FELT like you could take on a Mob of 25 enemy's who are 5 plus levels at once.

Aboslutely right, both of these.

I remember the newest character I had made, London Rain, an Empathy/ Water Blast Defender. No-one could fault you for thinking Empathy Defender was one of the weakest characters in the game when it came to soloing. Yet there I was, street sweeping around Talos taking on groups of +5 Warriors, bosses and all. I needed inspirations mind you... but it was possible. Legitimately possible within what the game gave us, without any form of cheating. Soloing +5 level bosses and their full groups, with one of the weakest soloing characters in the game. That's the kind of stuff the game let us do.