Author Topic: Your favorite thing about City of Heroes  (Read 10619 times)

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
Your favorite thing about City of Heroes
« on: December 04, 2012, 12:22:15 AM »
Aside from the incredible community, that is.  I mean mechanically, something about the game's layout, systems or otherwise.  Something drew each one of us into Cities, and something kept us playing.  Not just hanging out and talking, but playing.  What kept you playing?

I personally liked the invention system.  The unlimited potential of any given character, the way even the worst of powerset combinations could reach a god-like level.  I also have a soft spot for the Incarnate system, especially the lore, but the trials were awfully repetitive.

pyber

• Minion
  • Das Hamster
Re: Your favorite thing about City of Heroes
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 12:24:32 AM »
Besides the community?  A hard question to answer.  I think my favorite thing would have to be the powersets, particularly Kinetics.  I <3 my family of Kins, and I miss them.   :'(
"From my big beautiful warlock brain, welcome to 'Sheen's Korner' ... You're either in my corner, or you're with the trolls."

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 12:25:32 AM »
THE COSTUMES!  ;D

Costume creator for CoH was *the* best thing ever.

Speaking as a fan of character customization in general, it was always a dream come true for me.

It's what kept me in the game, coming back, even when I didn't feel like playing.

I could just spend a few hours making a single outfit, alone. It was brilliant.

Using the korean creator just isn't the same...  :'(
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 12:29:53 AM »
THE COSTUMES!  ;D

Costume creator for CoH was *the* best thing ever.

Speaking as a fan of character customization in general, it was always a dream come true for me.

It's what kept me in the game, coming back, even when I didn't feel like playing.

I could just spend a few hours making a single outfit, alone. It was brilliant.

Using the korean creator just isn't the same...  :'(
I know... but it's something.  I wish it had the power customization UI, so that we could still see the powers... but oh well.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 12:31:08 AM »
The costumes, most definitely.  :)
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 12:40:38 AM »
I know... but it's something.  I wish it had the power customization UI, so that we could still see the powers... but oh well.

I'm just spoiled on all the fancy stuff we had right up to the end.

I'm vain like that  :P

Particularly the high tech armor sets, Vanguard, Mecha, etc. Magic super booster stuff too. Love them capes.
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

LadyImmolatasia

• Minion
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 12:41:06 AM »
The costume creator, the teamplay dynamic which was so inherently strong, the community (of course), as well as the zones and atmosphere. The game could be light, dark, gray and everything in between.

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 12:41:44 AM »
I too offer up another echo into the chamber and say "Costumes", as possibly my favorite thing about CoX. Dear Zod, the sheer number and types of options were staggering overall.

Sure, there were obvious things that should have been in there (Like sweatshirts, hooded and otherwise), but I have no doubt we would have seen a lot of our wish-fulfillment in the area of costumes granted, because over the years we saw a lot of requests realized. One of my big wishes would have been more Egyptian-styled pieces, and at the rate we were getting new sets added I'm sure it would have happened eventually.

As it is, what WAS there was just gorgeous. Some of the new stuff (Like the phoenix wings, the ascension set, bio-armor, Imperial Defense, etc)  just blew me away with its creativity and execution.

Also, I have to give a special shout-out to my favorite travel-power, Super-Jump. It was fun and thrilling and fast, and I adored it.
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 12:46:49 AM »
Costumes were awesome.  No doubt about that.

I miss my Tanking too.

But you know what I really miss in every other game I've played?  Two things:

1) Solo playability - just fire the game up and go, no need to worry about grinding out gear or upgrading equipment to be sure I could still fight at my own level.  Worst case scenario, buy a tray full of inspirations and go to town.

2) Sidekicking.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Glass Goblin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 12:53:15 AM »
My favorite aspect to City of Heroes, which I doubt I'll find again any time soon, is the variable pace. I am not even remotely a twitch gamer, nor am I even remotely a competitive gamer. I play to relax, to have fun batting pixels around, to feel like I'm able to affect the world in a way that's hard to do with my aging body. Sure, I ran into occasional teams who'd be annoyed that I wasn't keeping up, that I didn't have the right build, and was even kicked on occasion (although that happened a lot more five years ago than at the end). But most of the other players were around to kick back, drink a couple of adult beverages, and laugh a little. I have found precious little of that in the general MMO world.

Oh, and yeah, costumes.

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 12:56:02 AM »
I agree that the ability to play at your own pace was superb. It was great for gamers who tended towards the casual much of the time, such as myself.
... ^o^CORVUS^o^

faith.grins

• Boss
  • Split your lungs with blood and thunder.
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 01:02:10 AM »
Travel in CoH was head-and-shoulders better than travel in any other video game I've played.  Particularly after they re-vamped power pools.  Afterburner is twice as good as Epic Flying Mounts in WoW, and you can get it way earlier.

I also really like the way they balanced things.  In most MMOs, one PC is intended to be slightly more powerful than the average NPC of equal level, and you're not really supposed to be able to tackle two at once unless you're built to be a Tank.  In CoH, you're expected to take three or four things on at once by yourself.  And the way they let you ramp up the difficulty in various ways, especially once they changed the notoriety to 4XP.  If you're better at tackling three hard targets, you get to do that.  If you're better at mowing down huge masses of things about your level, you can do that, too.  No other game does that.

Most of all, though, what I'm going to miss besides the community is the way the game handled the Support team role.  The magic formula in CoH isn't Tank+Heals+DPS, it's Buff/Debuff+Damage+Whatever.  In fact, you've only got about 50/50 odds that any given support character even has a healing power.  And they may not even use it much.  It's part of what made teaming so fun; it didn't matter what class you were playing and who was already in the team, you always had something to bring to the table.
Aram:  "Man, just look at all this.  Sometimes it's hard to believe that we get to live surrounded by such wonder."
Gamal:  "We don't live over there." Aram:  "We don't?"
Gamal:  "No.  We live over there." Aram:  "... But it's all on fire."
Gamal:  "Yes it is, Aram.  Yes it is."

Vasarto

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 01:17:56 AM »
Being able to have something to do with my In real life friends! I work during the times we do roleplaying games now and I cannot see them most of the time on the weedays or weekends.

So it gave me something special to do with them so I can have the ability to still have friends in this world.

Now that is taken away from me.

dpawtows

• Boss
  • Mechanical Engineer
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 01:23:51 AM »
Ability to play equally well teamed or solo. 
Hard-core gamers who played daily could team up quite well with folks who played twice a year.
Few twitch skills required.

Xieveral

• Chaotic Neutral
  • Boss
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 01:50:05 AM »
You know what I'm not seeing mentioned enough in this thread?

Costumes.

I've made many friends thanks to costumes.

"Neat costume!"

"I know, right? You're looking pretty sweet yourself!"

"Let us frolic and cause mayhem together while being the fashionable beasts we are!"
?RSN = CKN(CRS.ROD)

RSN = GLR(EMP.MCL)

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 02:34:10 AM »
Most of all, though, what I'm going to miss besides the community is the way the game handled the Support team role.  The magic formula in CoH isn't Tank+Heals+DPS, it's Buff/Debuff+Damage+Whatever.  In fact, you've only got about 50/50 odds that any given support character even has a healing power.  And they may not even use it much.  It's part of what made teaming so fun; it didn't matter what class you were playing and who was already in the team, you always had something to bring to the table.

YES.  I still dislike the Tank/Heal/Damage formula of other MMOs.  Cities is the only game I can think of where you can literally choose any combination of powers and use them successfully in almost any role.  There are exceptions, like a Fire/Fire blaster probably couldn't be relied on for control or support... but even then, dead enemies pose no threat!

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 02:42:51 AM »
The million and one details that were put into the game.
Did you know, for example:

There were pictures of the Dev team on the desks in Praetoria and that the same picture could be found behind the hospital counters?

If you clicked on the jukebox in club 55 it had a text box asking why it was filled with old songs?

If you stood close to bathroom doors you cold ocasionally hear flushing sounds?

The text on the history plaques in Praetoria was actually in Estonian?

The sound of footsteps changed depending on the surface you were on and even those were upgraded somewhere around issue 20?

The wisps in Croatoa would follow you around and act like endurance buffs?

You could knock books off of the tables in libraries?

There were hundreds more of these but somebody had to code them into the game. None of these were necessary for game play but somebody cared enough to include them.

As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

DJMoose

• Missing His Jeep
  • Boss
  • To believe in the heroic makes heroes.
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 02:48:20 AM »
Aside from the community?  Character creation: The sheer possiblities available hooked me immediately.  And not just the visual aspects, but the synergy between primary and secondary powers as well.  All of those options combined were astounding.  I found myself creating characters for the sole purpose of trying a certain combination of powers or a certain look that I thought of.

I have yet to find an MMO that even comes close to the sheer possibilites of the CoH character creator.

You know what I'm not seeing mentioned enough in this thread?
Costumes.
I've made many friends thanks to costumes.
"Neat costume!"
"I know, right? You're looking pretty sweet yourself!"
"Let us frolic and cause mayhem together while being the fashionable beasts we are!"
Exactly.  Also, other players were living advertisements for items in the Paragon Market.  If someone had something cool on their character, I would ask them where it was from and would most likely go buy it then and there.
Serkana The Wise
Primal Praetorian

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 02:53:17 AM »
1. The community kept me there, most of all. I felt I had friends.

2. Costumes were great  for giving you a sense of identity instead of being a number and same uniform like on a Football team.

3. CoH became my 2nd stomping ground, the multitude of maps were important.

4. SG's were great when they were active. It was a fall back playing resource.
If one became a Ghost town, you could always find another SG to join.

5. Events- It was great to look forward to Halloween, Christmas or Rikti Invasions.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 02:58:21 AM »
I can't really articulate it but...

In this game, if someone sent me an unsolicited tell asking to team, or an unsolicited team invite, I always felt like I needed to not online decline politely but give a reason why I couldn't team right then. Other games, particularly WoW, I just ignore the request (though I would make a rude gesture if someone of significantly higher level than I was made a duel request) and never hear another thing about it.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

bros402

• Underling
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 02:59:19 AM »
Aside from the givens, the costumes/costume creator and the community, I really liked jumping.

Not combat jumping, not super jumping.

Just jumping.

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 02:59:30 AM »
The sound of footsteps changed depending on the surface you were on and even those were upgraded somewhere around issue 20?

This I knew.

The wisps in Croatoa would follow you around and act like endurance buffs?

This I did NOT. Aw man!
... ^o^CORVUS^o^

Glass Goblin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 04:30:16 AM »
The text on the history plaques in Praetoria was actually in Estonian?

Now that one's new to me.

(And I actually have a clear, saved copy of that dev hospital pic around here somewhere.)

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 04:55:02 AM »
Music and sound effects galore, that really seem to fit. Most notably energy melee, any automatic weapons (two different sounds types) and anything fire.   I'm pretty sure it was willpower that had this hearbeat that would suddenly catch my attention, typically after a battle just ended.
Also, aside from diversity of powersets, but diversity of mitigation -- there were roots, holds, and sleep, but also fear, confusion and the most underappreciate one of all, knockback/down/up.  I slotted kinetic combats and overwhelming force kd procs into anything melee....it was particularly wicked on my claws/dark scrapper.
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

Vasarto

• Boss
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2012, 04:58:16 AM »
having something to do with my friends irl.

The Costume Editor
The amount of powers available and gaining new levels and getting that cool new level of power and using it!
Making something born from my imagination and creativity come to life.

Shinobu

• Minion
  • aka Shinobu
    • Shinobu's City of Heroes Journal
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2012, 06:12:25 AM »

Costume editor -- and all the character slots so that ou could really play with it.  Making new characters was the best mini-game ever.

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2012, 06:47:05 AM »
I'm not just going to say COSTUMES, because, for me, the customization actually goes beyond that and incorporates so much more...

The entire game, from character creation - costume and powers selection, to the manner/pace in which you play, how often you manage to play, what level(s) you are/play as, how you go about using your mix of powers (it may be very different than the way others do), how you slot/enhance your character, the additional powers that you pick, what sort of content you prefer (stories, radio missions, street sweeping, Giant Monster hunting, Task/Strike Forces, Raids, Trials, solo, teaming, duo-ing, small-teams, leagues)... whether you enjoy min/max-ing, role-playing, what emotes suit your character, what stances your character should use when idle...

It was all so customizable so that your entire experience was almost tailor-made for you.

This allowed us to not only create the characters we wanted... but also to play them how we wanted to... all almost universally on a very equal playing field. Besides a very strict solo approach (mainly with the incarnate system), you really were not at a disadvantage to simply do what you preferred to.

It was my game... because it allowed itself to be my game, while also being everyone else's game.

And that provided such a great deal of attachment and investment.... and, most importantly, enjoyment.
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

Dollhouse

• Boss
  • "What will happen? Will I dream?"
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2012, 07:07:53 AM »
It's hard for me to pick a single thing, so I'll just mention one of 'em. More than any other MMO I've played, City of Heroes absolutely nailed what I've come to call "kinetic immersion." That is, the sense of the character being a mass-bearing body moving in real space, with real laws of physics in effect. Many video games (and virtually all MMOs) fail in this to varying degrees. But in CoH, the movement was smooth, and the physics engine worked superbly to give a very "real" feel to how the world (physically) worked.

This isn't really a matter of animations (for which CoH was a mixed bag). Perhaps the best way I can get this across is to suggest that you recollect the first time you used Super Jump. The sensation of reaching the peak of the jump..that brief moment of seeming weightlessness...then gravity taking over. Amazing, wasn't it? This sort of physical realism is usually the realm of shooters, not MMOs.

Our characters might have been doing crazy, impossible things in their virtual world...but they're superheroes. They do that. but the world itself felt realistic...and the result was a level of kinetic immersion unparalleled in MMOs.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2012, 07:28:49 AM »
It's hard for me to pick a single thing, so I'll just mention one of 'em. More than any other MMO I've played, City of Heroes absolutely nailed what I've come to call "kinetic immersion." That is, the sense of the character being a mass-bearing body moving in real space, with real laws of physics in effect. Many video games (and virtually all MMOs) fail in this to varying degrees. But in CoH, the movement was smooth, and the physics engine worked superbly to give a very "real" feel to how the world (physically) worked.

This isn't really a matter of animations (for which CoH was a mixed bag). Perhaps the best way I can get this across is to suggest that you recollect the first time you used Super Jump. The sensation of reaching the peak of the jump..that brief moment of seeming weightlessness...then gravity taking over. Amazing, wasn't it? This sort of physical realism is usually the realm of shooters, not MMOs.

Our characters might have been doing crazy, impossible things in their virtual world...but they're superheroes. They do that. but the world itself felt realistic...and the result was a level of kinetic immersion unparalleled in MMOs.
Never thought of it that way, but I know what you mean.  Very cool.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2012, 07:53:33 AM »
I can't really articulate it but...

In this game, if someone sent me an unsolicited tell asking to team, or an unsolicited team invite, I always felt like I needed to not online decline politely but give a reason why I couldn't team right then. Other games, particularly WoW, I just ignore the request (though I would make a rude gesture if someone of significantly higher level than I was made a duel request) and never hear another thing about it.
I know exactly what you mean.  I felt bad if I just didn't want to team.  And sometimes I'd hit accept when I didn't want to and end up having a great time.  Cohesive and talkative teams were the best.

Hedonism

• Underling
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2012, 07:56:48 AM »

This is close to what I was thinking myself.  Being a gamer for close to 30 years, this game "felt right" from day 1.  It was always hard for me to explain, thank you!  What I've said in the past was that it was just easier to pick up and start playing this game.  Perhaps it wasn't easier to play as much as it was easier to "believe" in the actions I was taking.  With the exception of not being able to hop a fence or bush without getting caught up.......occasionally.   

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2012, 11:30:05 AM »
For me, it has to be the teaming mechanics. The costumes, powers, community, all that is great in its own right but what really made the game fun for me, and this is something I've posted before here and elsewhere, was that at any time, I could join my friends doing whatever they happened to be doing and the game adjusted to there now being two heroes present.

It made the game truly a massively multiplayer game, unlike pretty much every other MMO out there that are all pretty much solo games with occasional multiplayer. Team for the solo content and it's boring cause you just roll over it without a thought, and try to solo the team content and you get stomped flat. While in CoH, EVERY mission was solo and team content at the same time, depending only on how many heroes you felt like throwing at it rather than on the devs deciding this map shall be for five players and that map for one, and screw you if you want to do otherwise.

It's not the presence of other players or the persistent world that makes an MMO, it's actually playing with those other players that does it. And CoH encouraged that to a degree no other MMO before or since ever has.

Also the team limit of eight people rather than five deserves a mention, so many times in other games I've had to tell friends sorry, we're full. In CoH I almost never had that problem, ever. Which may be more to do with my circle of friends, but still.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2012, 12:00:14 PM »
I don't have a single favorite thing; I can't, there's just too much I liked to have only one, but I'll try to keep it brief. 

1. animation.  With few exceptions, i really liked the way the characters looked when moving, when activating their powers etc.

2. the landscapes or backgrounds they moved within:  Cimerora, the Shadow Shards, Faultline, Ouroboros -  okay so I didn't fall in love aesthetically with how BoomTown looked, but then would one expect a devastated warzone to look beautiful?

3. the costumes.  I only once met a character who looked like one of mine, Force10 IIRC a Storm def run by an Australian player who looked very like my mystic blaster Aleksander from Cim.  We both had the Toga one got from Spring Fling, but even then there were differences, such Force10 having Wings. :)  Plus there were enough costumes that switching Aleks to his Roman armor was no prob. Force10 and I teamed on only a few occasions, due mostly to time zone differences, but we'd had a few laughs over having found a "twin" in-game on two otherwise fairly unique looking characters.
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Alchemedic

• Underling
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2012, 10:12:33 PM »
Costumes. Easily, costumes.

Like probably many people here, I have too many commitments, and logging into CoH was often simply a stress release and study/work break when I didn't have time for a Task Force or anything more focused. I could easily kill time just working on a character's costumes, and if I only had 20-30 minutes -- well, that's playing with colors or maybe belt/boots. But it was something.

I'm sure I'm not alone in visualizing the aesthetics of a character. For the most part, your first level Elf Priest in WoW looks like everyone's Elf Priest. If I'm creating a character, that means more than just their abilities but how they present (or project) themselves into the world, and being able to work on detailed costume is part of that character-imagining.

Also: It's particularly important to me that my abilities and defenses are not linked to my outfit or. This really bugs me in other games.

Travel Powers. I see something in the distance and I intend to look at it...

in many other games, the problem is "what do you mean I can't jump over this freaking log? Or that I can't get over those trees?"

This is not a problem in City of Heroes. Correction: was ...  :(

Versatility & Flexibility. Superheroes are inherently multi-genre.

In what other setting could you team up a guy in power armor (= science fiction); a Norse deity (= fantasy) and a super-powered patriot (= classical super hero)? The super-hero genre can accommodate all these and more in their world-view. In fantasy games, you play fantasy races/occupations. In science fiction games, you play SF races/occupations. Sure, there might be some carryover, but you are limited to that world's construct.

EDIT: Sidekicking. Enough said.

There are probably more reasons, and I'll only realize them when I realize what I'm missing, but these are the first things that stand out to me.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 01:29:22 AM by Alchemedic »

Megajoule

• Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2012, 11:25:57 PM »
Besides "costumes", and what it implies - the variety, the sheer degree of customization, and the separation of appearance from capability or "gear" - I'd also like to mention the level-matching mechanics, especially in their improved post-I16 format.  Play with anyone (friends or otherwise), without worrying about staying in lockstep.  Get experience from doing anything.  Wondrous, and far too rare in other games.

Tanklet

• Boss
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2012, 02:25:05 AM »
Costumes, powersets, ease of game play and last but NOT least the RP!!!!!

I've written so many stories. My characters' lives went places I don't think I ever really imagined, thanks to the interactions they had IG. I truly found my creative side in CoH RP

Alchemedic

• Underling
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2012, 04:58:07 AM »

Vasarto

• Boss
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2012, 04:59:25 AM »
Having mission and craft based super powers!

I got an Jet pack for Action Bastarrd whom is a hardware hero

Peregrine Falcon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2012, 06:59:32 AM »
The ease of teaming in CoH was the best part of the game and I believe it played a major part in building and maintaining such a great community. But, truth be told, my favorite part of the game was:

Flying.
Paragon City refugee - "We're heroes, it's what we do."

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2012, 07:57:46 PM »
... ^o^CORVUS^o^

Alchemedic

• Underling
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2012, 08:04:35 PM »
Awesome. The envenomated dagger was one of my favorite temp powers.

Pffft... I used the "throwing knives" power that you get at level 1. I didn't need no stinkin' venom to aggro Romulus!

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2012, 08:05:57 PM »
That's just the thing. If you didn't choose "Natural" as your origin, you didn't get "Throwing Knives" :D
... ^o^CORVUS^o^

Ashen Fury

• Boss
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2012, 02:39:58 AM »
Honestly? To me this game felt like the opportunity to express my creative side in a way I never could have otherwise, being not terribly good at drawing or most other forms of artistry. I was able to think of a way i wanted to look, and make it happen, almost every time. You almost never saw identical costumes, unless it was a sg uniform or a team-concept. The aspect of uniqueness and the freedom we had to choose how we fit into the world was just something no other game has.
Permanently Scrapperlocked.

Love CoH music? Want EVERY SINGLE FILE?
http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,7192.0.html

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2012, 04:40:29 AM »
My favorite thing about City of Heroes is that I was able to make this list:

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,5754.msg65089.html#msg65089

Alchemedic

• Underling
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2012, 04:30:14 PM »

That list is spot-on.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2012, 05:11:16 PM »

omg, it's like you went into my head and telepathically pulled out the list of reasons why I don't play other mmo's.

Cryfire

• Lieutenant
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2012, 09:20:49 PM »
3 things...

1. The community.

2. Character Creations, costumes and powers.

3. Being able to log on at any time day or night and finding something to do be it solo or hitting Virture or Freedom late at night for team stuff.

Flamazing Sally

• Minion
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2012, 10:34:22 PM »
Community and costumes   :'(

tigerbaby

• Underling
  • accept NO substitute for HAPPY!
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2012, 03:33:34 AM »
There are so many favourite things, but #1 for me was logging in on Pinnacle Tigerbaby, and the way it felt like settling down in a comfy easy chair with a beloved book on a snowy afternoon.

But I can't believe nobody has brought up...Badges!  Such gratifying, simple, dumb fun was CoH Badge-hunting.  And whoa, bonus - some of them earned you some pretty boss accolades, too.  Wouldn't real life be substantially improved if every so often 'BADGE EARNED' shimmered over your head to recognize some benchmark you hadn't even realized existed?

That, and the big pink donut in Faultline.  How I loved and miss that donut /em teardrop

n6149s2

• Underling
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2012, 03:19:48 AM »
The fact that I could play for 14 hours straight, and no one would think that was weird :)

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2012, 03:55:10 AM »
Gosh, where do I start....everything already said PLUS, it was the cheapest therapy you could ever get.
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2012, 06:56:06 AM »
Aside from the forums (there were many months where I was subscribed but never actually played the game), the character creation and immense number of slots (not to mention the genre) were the largest draw for me.  I had a number of problems with the game that had me itching to jump to another superhero game as soon as a more palatable one were to surface, but very few superhero games emerged and the negatives of ChO and DCUO at their launches kept me away from those games (ChO *now* is much improved compared to launch, and I'm curious whether DCUO is better than it was at the end of Beta).
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

DJMoose

• Missing His Jeep
  • Boss
  • To believe in the heroic makes heroes.
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2012, 05:06:18 PM »

EXACTLY!

• Let you fight time-traveling alien Nazis with giant robots in Ancient Rome (yes, really)
This is my favorite! 8)
Serkana The Wise
Primal Praetorian

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2012, 05:38:59 PM »
Costumes and the customization ability of those costumes. I could make anything from a regular bloke on the street, to a rendition of a pazuzu, to something that looks like a stereotypical angel but is one of the most vile villians. That was good stuff.

Dollmistress

• Underling
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2012, 01:39:10 AM »
Flying, oh so much flying.

The funny little takeoff sound effect, the perfect manoeuvrability of the camera, the limitless exploration and attack options being airborne presented, soaring towards the sunset, hovering in place...endless fun, right up to the dinky sound of your feet hitting the ground again, whether it was the metal of a black market truck, stone flooring, wooden planks, etc.

The first time I FINALLY hunted down and successfully blew the Arachnos Flyer into satisfyingly tiny bits, after a full year of trying and several ludicrous attempts at tricking the Devs into fixing it, is a close second :)

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2012, 03:34:31 AM »
The top 3:

(3) Durability, particularly in the melee classes.  My Tankers were stone walls (sometimes literally) taking everything that came at them, my Brutes were wrecking balls laughing as return attacks bounced off.

(2) Masterminds.  So many pets.  So much fine control.  The Pet controls in other games are a pale imitation, if there are any at all.

(1) Any incredibly cool character I thought of in my head always translated perfectly to an incredibly cool character in the game itself.  I loved every character I made, on all levels - costume, powerset, effectiveness, animations, etc.  No other game has ever done that.

I loved many other things, like flying (of course!), and the sheer usefulness of Buff/Debuff/Control sets (a rarity in RPGs, let alone MMORPGs), and how quickly updates were coming (there was always something new and exciting on the horizon!), and the world and the stories and the oh god I still miss it horribly.

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2012, 06:46:24 AM »
I have thought long and hard about this.  I believe I can say this and be absolutely correct for me:

Everything.  It was all my favorite.

Yeah.  That sums it up.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2012, 10:06:19 AM »
You know, over the years we called many parts of the game overpowered. Regen, super strength, kinetics, IO sets... the list goes on. But really... compared to every other MMO out there, everyone was overpowered. Everyone and everything, from the squishiest blaster to the most tricked out of brutes. And because everyone was overpowered... no one was. The whole game, players and mobs alike just operated at a higher power level than any other game. It was a big part of what made us feel like superheroes.

Servantes

• Minion
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2012, 09:53:26 AM »
Avatar Strength, and City of heroes got it right.

The fact you 'felt' like a Super Hero / Super Villain in almost every instance, You FELT like you could take on a Mob of 25 enemy's who are 5 plus levels at once.

not the current crap most games stick you with, 1v1 or 1v3, how is a random Lizard that's -2 my level that's not even my height able to kill me who is decked out in max level items?

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2012, 01:46:47 PM »
The whole game, players and mobs alike just operated at a higher power level than any other game.

The fact you 'felt' like a Super Hero / Super Villain in almost every instance, You FELT like you could take on a Mob of 25 enemy's who are 5 plus levels at once.

Aboslutely right, both of these.

I remember the newest character I had made, London Rain, an Empathy/ Water Blast Defender. No-one could fault you for thinking Empathy Defender was one of the weakest characters in the game when it came to soloing. Yet there I was, street sweeping around Talos taking on groups of +5 Warriors, bosses and all. I needed inspirations mind you... but it was possible. Legitimately possible within what the game gave us, without any form of cheating. Soloing +5 level bosses and their full groups, with one of the weakest soloing characters in the game. That's the kind of stuff the game let us do.