Author Topic: OK, what now? I need a private server or the ability to run my own.  (Read 333242 times)

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
Re: OK, what now? I need a private server or the ability to run my own.
« Reply #760 on: January 08, 2014, 08:21:37 PM »
No one expects the Paragon Inquisition!

GamingGlen

• Boss
« Reply #761 on: January 08, 2014, 08:36:17 PM »
Especially if you count the lurkers that check in regularly, but only post from time to time, when they think it's important.

;)

Lyc~ the lurking werewolf

huh?  something important was said?   ;)

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #762 on: January 08, 2014, 10:18:57 PM »
Lyc~ the lurking werewolf

Hey wait, does that make you Lurkantropus? ???

And I guess lately I've been more of a Triplurk, myself. Hmm.

...Ahh well, it's all good! We still stop by and that's what counts! :D

*throws a snowball at Captain Elurktric, then hides behind a tree*

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #763 on: January 09, 2014, 07:03:49 AM »
*Cap elurktricutes Triplurk with his elurktriclurky!*

And it's slotted with lurk modification NEENER NEENER NEENER.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #764 on: January 10, 2014, 11:24:24 PM »
It's worth pointing out that this thread alone has been read almost 55,000 times!

That's a great deal of demand for supposed 'dead' game.

That private server can't come soon enough.  But it's clearly not something that was ever going to be knocked out in a year.

It's like replicating the function of the brain.  The game client needs a/the 'brain' to function.

That wasn't clear to me previously.  Now that it is clear and 'I get it' I understand the size of the task.  Not impossible with clever coders.

But it isn't easy either. :/

But given time...and brains...there's hope. :)

Azrael.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 12:21:46 AM by Azrael »

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #765 on: January 11, 2014, 03:23:16 AM »
You do realize that those 55,000 hits, assuming they are all humans, could translate into $825,000/month.  That's 55,000 x the $15/month many of us paid to play before free to play came to coh.  That 55,000 would translate into 9.9 million per year.  My guess is that 55,000 is just the tip of the iceberg for the number of people willing to play.  A proper ad campaign (something NCSoft never did) could multiply that several times.  I realize that some of those hits are (search engine) robots, webcrawlers, or other programs but no one knows for certain how much any site is crawled like that.
No Surrender!

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #766 on: January 11, 2014, 05:01:25 AM »
You do realize that those 55,000 hits, assuming they are all humans, could translate into $825,000/month.  That's 55,000 x the $15/month many of us paid to play before free to play came to coh.  That 55,000 would translate into 9.9 million per year.  My guess is that 55,000 is just the tip of the iceberg for the number of people willing to play.  A proper ad campaign (something NCSoft never did) could multiply that several times.

Lady Vamp.  I never understood why NC Soft bought the game and barely advertised it.  If it had half the exposure WoW had got I'm sure the numbers you mention as an example would have been doubled or trebled or even more. 

We're talking about a game bringing in about a million a month!

Why didn't NC Soft just consolidate the servers, trim the Paragon team to just maintaining the servers and get the last patch out and see how the game went?  With just server maintenence surely NC Soft would have been raking in 'free money?'

I could have coped with less 'issues' per year or none at all.  Look at Champions Online.  It's been in a holding position, development wise for a long time.

It's worth nothing to NC Soft now.  Just give it to a small community of developers.  Make it an open source gift to the community.

Yeesh.

Azrael.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #767 on: January 11, 2014, 05:31:37 AM »
It's worth nothing to NC Soft now.  Just give it to a small community of developers.  Make it an open source gift to the community.
Never.  Not in a billion years.  Just like their reasons for closing it are Top Secret, so too are their reasons for never selling it.  I stopped expecting anything approaching rational behavior from them on Aug 31st, 2012.

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #768 on: January 11, 2014, 05:59:11 AM »
You do realize that those 55,000 hits, assuming they are all humans, could translate into $825,000/month.  That's 55,000 x the $15/month many of us paid to play before free to play came to coh.  That 55,000 would translate into 9.9 million per year.  My guess is that 55,000 is just the tip of the iceberg for the number of people willing to play.  A proper ad campaign (something NCSoft never did) could multiply that several times.  I realize that some of those hits are (search engine) robots, webcrawlers, or other programs but no one knows for certain how much any site is crawled like that.

Keep in mind that those 55,000 views of this thread could also be as simple as 15 or so people constantly checking the thread for updates about 10 times a day every day because they either have nothing better to do or are just that desperate for some good news.(15 people checking 10 times a day for a full year or 365 days comes out to 54,750 views, and that's assuming they only check it ten times a day...)

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #769 on: January 11, 2014, 06:11:04 AM »
I check it about once per minute.

I want to be here THE MOMENT something happens.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #770 on: January 11, 2014, 03:05:27 PM »
I check it about once per minute.

I want to be here THE MOMENT something happens.

That's probably half the views, right there...  :P
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #771 on: January 11, 2014, 03:51:23 PM »
Never.  Not in a billion years.  Just like their reasons for closing it are Top Secret, so too are their reasons for never selling it.  I stopped expecting anything approaching rational behavior from them on Aug 31st, 2012.

Aye.  I was being whimsical.  But there's nothing 'whimsical' about IP in Corporate land as NC Soft kill games and just sit on the I.P.

Corporations want all the ideas...all the I.P and want to squash rival IP.

Luckily reverse engineering has precedent.  And with A.E tools, the community can create individual, non infringing IP to run over the server..?

Azrael.

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #772 on: January 11, 2014, 05:28:12 PM »
I don't know why nc chose to kill off coh.  I tend to agree that they should have folded the servers into 1 or 2 and let the game live with little to no support beyond the usual, "I'm stuck" type of help.  Frankly, I would have been happy if they never issued another issue.  I doubt will ever get the real reason and am willing to bet at least half here wouldn't believe it anyway.  That's why I say the reason they killed it is irrelevant.

What is relevant is that unless we make it free to play, it will generate revenue.  Certainly enough to hire a full time programming staff, artisans, writers, etc.  Likely we'll get even better support.  It's a win for almost everyone.  The only one who losses is ncsoft and that I don't have any issues with.

And I figure we're talking somewhere between half to two mil per month once it's up assuming nc doesn't find a way to kill it.  I'm also reasonably certain the teams developing our new homes are taking necessary precautions.  The biggest problem we have is giving those teams time to complete their work.
No Surrender!

alphajaybo

• Lieutenant
  • The one The only Alpha Protocol V2.9
« Reply #773 on: January 11, 2014, 06:46:49 PM »
I don't know why nc chose to kill off coh.  I tend to agree that they should have folded the servers into 1 or 2 and let the game live with little to no support beyond the usual, "I'm stuck" type of help.  Frankly, I would have been happy if they never issued another issue.  I doubt will ever get the real reason and am willing to bet at least half here wouldn't believe it anyway.  That's why I say the reason they killed it is irrelevant.

What is relevant is that unless we make it free to play, it will generate revenue.  Certainly enough to hire a full time programming staff, artisans, writers, etc.  Likely we'll get even better support.  It's a win for almost everyone.  The only one who losses is ncsoft and that I don't have any issues with.

And I figure we're talking somewhere between half to two mil per month once it's up assuming nc doesn't find a way to kill it.  I'm also reasonably certain the teams developing our new homes are taking necessary precautions.  The biggest problem we have is giving those teams time to complete their work.

But the server wont be able to earn revenue....... if ncsoft find out that its earning revenue, then they will sue... and they will win and wont get any bad publicity or get any after flame that will hurt them. as long as they own all rights to CoH we cant make revenue off of it
Daoc CoH and WoW

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #774 on: January 12, 2014, 12:43:10 AM »
But the server wont be able to earn revenue....... if ncsoft find out that its earning revenue, then they will sue... and they will win and wont get any bad publicity or get any after flame that will hurt them. as long as they own all rights to CoH we cant make revenue off of it

As long as their code and intellectual property isn't be used, they have no legal standing.  If either project is using ncsoft code or IP, then they will be within their rights to take legal action regardless of whether or not the server is making money.
No Surrender!

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #775 on: January 12, 2014, 03:26:52 AM »
As long as their code and intellectual property isn't be used, they have no legal standing.  If either project is using ncsoft code or IP, then they will be within their rights to take legal action regardless of whether or not the server is making money.
yup.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #776 on: January 12, 2014, 03:30:41 AM »

And who exactly wrote the game client again?
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #777 on: January 12, 2014, 04:51:17 AM »

Why a server consolidation and an ongoing development stasis never happened, is something that still puzzles me over a year later. You would think this would have been worth doing, just for the customer good will this would generate.

They didn't give a damn, and will never give a damn. We are trash to them.

UNLESS!  Someone starts making money off a rogue server, then you'd better believe they will land on that with both feet and a team of twenty lawyers, giving not just one but a multiplicity of damns.

That is why it is essential that no money be charged for a reverse-engineering project. Nothing will get NCSoft's attention faster, and not in a good way.

That's kind of like saying, "Star Trek the original series is no longer produced. Hasn't been produced since the 1960s. But I want it back! So I am going to hire my own Kirk, Spock and McCoy. We start shooting in February. Paramount is no longer using this part of the property, so that means its a free for all."

Um, no.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #778 on: January 12, 2014, 05:17:06 AM »
That's kind of like saying, "Star Trek the original series is no longer produced. Hasn't been produced since the 1960s. But I want it back! So I am going to hire my own Kirk, Spock and McCoy. We start shooting in February. Paramount is no longer using this part of the property, so that means its a free for all."

http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #779 on: January 12, 2014, 05:21:50 AM »
Any servers that get finished from either of the reverse engineering projects will not ever require you to give them money to play. I'm pretty sure everyone working on those projects knows that such a thing would result in a quick and painful lawsuit, and then our only solutions would be the various "Plan Z" games, assuming any of them actually deliver anything remotely close to what we all are looking for in a replacement, or someone winning the Powerball, and dropping a large enough figure to entice NCSoft to sell. And based on all the speculation following the shutdown, it's my belief that that figure would have to be at least 7 to 8 figures to make NCSoft even consider letting go of the IP considering their apparent enjoyment of just sitting on dead properties...