Author Topic: OK, what now? I need a private server or the ability to run my own.  (Read 333195 times)

Luna Eclypse

• New Efforts # 9,000!
  • Boss
  • Follow my on Twitter @LunaEclypse
    • Luna Eclypse on VirtueVerse
Re: OK, what now? I need a private server or the ability to run my own.
« Reply #540 on: May 08, 2013, 03:09:52 AM »
So, still nothing we can play?

Nothing for now besides the near completely non-functional SEGS thing.

I honestly sit here everyday and kick around the notion of trying to subscribe to Champions Online again. I have Gold account characters and everything so I'd have to sub to actually have access to anything I'd want to do creatively. I could just be grasping at straws to find anything even remotely resembling CoH to occupy my time. I did DCUO for a very short stretch of time and I'd never really consider doing that again... too restrictive. I've pretty much disconnected myself, so to speak, from online games because they're all just ultimately bad investments for me when they don't offer the same level of enjoyment and fulfillment as CoH.

All I do is sit and play Skyrim anymore. PC of course, I needs to have mah mods.
"The Remarkable Dazzling"
Luna Eclypse

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #541 on: May 08, 2013, 02:34:13 PM »
Please understand the SEGS effort is only one of the efforts being made.

There is at least one other group trying to reverse engineer the i24 level game. I have zero knowledge of who, what or where just that it is quietly being worked.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #542 on: May 08, 2013, 03:11:17 PM »

I have zero knowledge of who, what or where just that it is quietly being worked.

Yeah you and me and seemingly a lot of other people.

I guess when it said and done they will pop up with "surprise! I'm located in Nigeria and have this private server." Then gripe a few weeks later when only a dozen of people show up.

Not serious just poking a little. Of course they have stay under wraps. Too much gray area right now.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #543 on: May 08, 2013, 03:33:23 PM »
I look at it differently, if I had the skills to reverse engineer a game, I would do the work and then post the code in the wild. If it is tied to the Titan site - bad things could happen. Titan is a waypoint like McAnally's pub - accorded neutral territory.

You don't want to color all of the players as grey. Some folks are white hats, some are black and having a place to go where you can all meet is very useful. The white hats would leave if the black hats started openly moving and the black hats would leave if only white hats were allowed. So you keep everyone neutral and let things just happen without a huge amount of supervision.

This can bother people, but remember we are all just volunteers.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #544 on: May 08, 2013, 04:35:57 PM »
Yup.  That's pretty accurate.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

NinjaWeazel

• Underling
« Reply #545 on: May 08, 2013, 10:29:26 PM »
Now TonyV needs to get me a beer and a steak sandwich.

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
  • Sometimes it's harder to let go than to hold on.
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #546 on: May 09, 2013, 11:36:28 AM »
I look at it differently, if I had the skills to reverse engineer a game, I would do the work and then post the code in the wild.

A wild code appeared!

But seriously, I think I'd do the same. My plan is to keep a close eye on everything, use SEGS when I want to look at AP, us icon to build characters, and keep searching for any info that might be out there.
Name: Safehouse     Origin: Magic
Powers: Energy Blast/Electricity Manipulation/Flame Mastery/Teleportation
Security Level: 50+
Last Seen: Wandering the empty streets of the evacuated Paragon City.

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #547 on: May 09, 2013, 11:46:38 AM »
A wild code appeared!

But seriously, I think I'd do the same. My plan is to keep a close eye on everything, use SEGS when I want to look at AP, us icon to build characters, and keep searching for any info that might be out there.

Same here, hope to find/hear something soon... :gonk:

It may just be me, but I don't use Icon nearly as much as I thought I would. I have both the regular and dev version shortcuts on my desktop, still have both Live and Beta clients ready to go, but I just never touch Icon. I think knowing I can't play after creating just completely zaps my creativity when it comes to new characters.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #548 on: May 09, 2013, 02:48:04 PM »
I use Icon all the time; its where I archive my best costumes. But....

...The so-called "SkunkWorks" is one of my biggest hopes.

[Not the Skunkworks that used to build planes, natch. Altho they were awesome too. EDIT: Ooops. They are still building planes.]

I will wait for them to do their thing. As long as it takes. This will not be a fast or easy thing to do, but good things might come to those who can wait. At least, I hoping/wishing hard.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 02:56:06 PM by Illusionss »

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #549 on: May 09, 2013, 03:42:21 PM »
[Not the Skunkworks that used to build planes, natch. Altho they were awesome too. EDIT: Ooops. They are still building planes.]
Life on that campus is interesting, to say the least.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
  • Sometimes it's harder to let go than to hold on.
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #550 on: May 13, 2013, 11:28:07 AM »
Same here, hope to find/hear something soon... :gonk:

It may just be me, but I don't use Icon nearly as much as I thought I would. I have both the regular and dev version shortcuts on my desktop, still have both Live and Beta clients ready to go, but I just never touch Icon. I think knowing I can't play after creating just completely zaps my creativity when it comes to new characters.

Whoooaaa how do you get the dev shortcuts? Or the live client? I've only been able to get the beta client so far...

And yes I hope to find something soon :gonk:
Name: Safehouse     Origin: Magic
Powers: Energy Blast/Electricity Manipulation/Flame Mastery/Teleportation
Security Level: 50+
Last Seen: Wandering the empty streets of the evacuated Paragon City.

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #551 on: May 13, 2013, 01:25:51 PM »

Whoooaaa how do you get the dev shortcuts? Or the live client? I've only been able to get the beta client so far...

And yes I hope to find something soon :gonk:

Right click on icon, create shortcut. On the new shortcut right click->Properties. Add -n to the end of the shortcut there, boom, access to all the dev parts and sliders.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #552 on: May 13, 2013, 03:17:23 PM »

Yeah, that's the problem I have. I thought I'd enjoy Icon a lot more, but designing the initial appearance and deciding on primary/secondary power sets of a brand-new character was only the first step, and I can't do any of the other steps.

And those other steps (particularly the step involving trying out the power sets I picked against a wide variety of enemies over a long period of time) are the ones I enjoyed far more than just making a character's first (and rarely final) costume.

It's frustrating.  The urge to play CoH is not fading over time.  It's getting stronger and stronger as I'm forced to play more of the competition.  It really was the perfect game for me (even if the game was not perfect in and of itself), and as good as the CoH community is, I mainly want the game back.

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #553 on: May 13, 2013, 06:09:50 PM »
Yeah, that's the problem I have. I thought I'd enjoy Icon a lot more, but designing the initial appearance and deciding on primary/secondary power sets of a brand-new character was only the first step, and I can't do any of the other steps.

And those other steps (particularly the step involving trying out the power sets I picked against a wide variety of enemies over a long period of time) are the ones I enjoyed far more than just making a character's first (and rarely final) costume.

It's frustrating.  The urge to play CoH is not fading over time.  It's getting stronger and stronger as I'm forced to play more of the competition.  It really was the perfect game for me (even if the game was not perfect in and of itself), and as good as the CoH community is, I mainly want the game back.

Man, that last part seems to be what is defining this community (CoH refugees at large, not just here at Titan). These feelings aren't fading, they're getting stronger if anything. At this point I think a majority of us would have moved on, myself included, but a day doesn't pass that I wish I could log in.

At another forum I'm a member of an ex-CoHer spent over $100 giving out free personalized CoH avatars, there's hundreds more dedicated ex-players like that out there, imagine how much they would donate to have their game back.

I'll yell this from the mountaintop again: to anyone working on a private server...you're our only hope. You have thousands of people counting on you and we are all thankful for your work.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #554 on: May 13, 2013, 06:11:25 PM »

This is useful and interesting information for the Phoenix Project, I think. Can you please go into what your next steps were? Particularly anything that didn't require actually picking a fight with something or getting a mission to perform.

We will take these into consideration as we plan our the precise development order of things with the character builder for the Phoenix Project, and how it develops going forward towards the base builder.

Draeth Darkstar

• Underling
« Reply #555 on: May 13, 2013, 07:29:39 PM »
This is useful and interesting information for the Phoenix Project, I think. Can you please go into what your next steps were? Particularly anything that didn't require actually picking a fight with something or getting a mission to perform.

We will take these into consideration as we plan our the precise development order of things with the character builder for the Phoenix Project, and how it develops going forward towards the base builder.

Something that I think City of Heroes learned about itself too late in it's life cycle:

The character builder needs to be as robust as physically possible. I don't just mean sliders and costume parts, either. I mean information. When I looked at my starting powersets in City, I often would look up RedTomax and ParagonWiki pages on them to learn more about their intricacies before deciding, especially before Real Numbers was added.

I also used to use YouTube a ton before the power customization features added a power previewer to the character builder. Being able to see exactly what my character can do when I make them is good - being able to see (almost) everything my character potentially could learn to do in the future was amazing.

Seriously though - everything you can tell me and show me about my potential character before it exists, I want!

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #556 on: May 13, 2013, 08:37:21 PM »

I know that, for me, I had about five minutes of "fidgetting." I had to go through and accept all the veteran's rewards (not a chore, just a necessary housekeeping routine), "fix" my interface, and then organize my powers in the tray. Now, it's not that I had to do these things, but I could!  I think that's one of the things that bugs me about so many other games is not so much that I have to get used to a new interface, but I can't adjust the interface to be more comfortable to me. Now, my original layout was born of having a smaller, regular aspect ratio screen compared to what I have now, but I have yet to find an game with an interface as intuitively adaptable.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #557 on: May 13, 2013, 10:41:40 PM »
Segev this was my usual method of creation by a day one live on player:

Name - I needed one that was unique and had a purpose (Spike the Guppy, Carillion, Heart of Glass)

The Look - how was its overall mood

Powers - I would study what they did and how they looked - also find synergies

In fact I am trying Neverwinter and find the UI klunky and actually stands in the way of my fun at times

Absolute

• Lieutenant
« Reply #558 on: May 14, 2013, 02:03:32 AM »
I know that, for me, I had about five minutes of "fidgetting." I had to go through and accept all the veteran's rewards (not a chore, just a necessary housekeeping routine), "fix" my interface, and then organize my powers in the tray. Now, it's not that I had to do these things, but I could!  I think that's one of the things that bugs me about so many other games is not so much that I have to get used to a new interface, but I can't adjust the interface to be more comfortable to me. Now, my original layout was born of having a smaller, regular aspect ratio screen compared to what I have now, but I have yet to find an game with an interface as intuitively adaptable.

This 100x times over.

I still can't believe I can't drag my HP bar or powers to where I want them in other games. It just seems like such a basic feature that should really become a minimum standard in games. In fact, programs that run in the background and switch the placement/UI of everything are already popular for other games. The freedom of UI should really just be implemented in those games.

It became even nicer at the end  of CoH when I could save more than half my settings and just load them up through options.

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #559 on: May 14, 2013, 03:19:13 AM »

After popping into Galaxy or Atlas, the very first thing I always did was take a toon for a [walk]. If it looked goofy while walking, I'd head to Icon and adjust  stuff until it looked good or needed to be deleted/re-created. Also, colors in the costume creator looked different in sunny Atlas. Light red, for instance, would suddenly be pink (or at least too pink-ish).

The biggest problem with the Costume Creator was all the locked gear. I never understood why NC wouldn't give us the chance to try on new gear especially since they sold all that gear seperately.
If I'd ever said "okay, there's NO way I can justify making this toon WITHOUT this Barbarian belt", I probably would've paid NC more of that money they were always salivating over.
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men