Author Topic: OK, what now? I need a private server or the ability to run my own.  (Read 333282 times)

xCain

• Underling
Re: OK, what now? I need a private server or the ability to run my own.
« Reply #520 on: May 04, 2013, 04:49:43 PM »
I know theres no timeline for this segs server or anything, is there anything that can be done to help it move along? I just cant get into anything else!! Champions isnt even close to filling the void, neither is star wars. Its not like there is a whole lot out there to compensate for CoH, either the game is decent and the community sucks, or well i could go on and on, im sure just about everyone feels close to the same way. Let me know if theres anything i can do...thx

Kemphler

• Minion
« Reply #521 on: May 04, 2013, 08:16:45 PM »
I know theres no timeline for this segs server or anything, is there anything that can be done to help it move along? I just cant get into anything else!! Champions isnt even close to filling the void, neither is star wars. Its not like there is a whole lot out there to compensate for CoH, either the game is decent and the community sucks, or well i could go on and on, im sure just about everyone feels close to the same way. Let me know if theres anything i can do...thx

I'd recommend going to their website and asking there, and there is also a 'Helping Out' forum on their site for just such things.
"I intend to live forever, or die trying." - Groucho Marx

SuburbanHell

• Lieutenant
« Reply #522 on: May 05, 2013, 06:13:33 AM »
See, this makes me look at the enhancement system at around the time I joined and wonder why ED got so much hate. While I can understand why someone might want to six slot recharge, damage, accuracy etc etc etc, it feels kind of... idk... game breaking to me. That's just my not-so-informed-opinion, but I'd much rather have limits to what I can do with enhancements to make build-making more intuitive and give more challenge to the game.

From what I remember... ED got so much hate because at the time it was essentially changing everything we knew about the game that worked for our characters.  ED broke us a bit and made us far less "super" than we had been, but I think was necessary to prevent everyone from having to take things like hasten or stamina, although IIRC the whole fitness pool became inherent powers towards the end.  Anyway, IO's fixed that, but it took a lot of in-game time and money to get us back to where we once were, so there was something like... 5-6 issues where people were dealing with a massive re-tweak of their builds.  The second problem with ED was the way Jack communicated it to the public, he was kind of a troll at delivering news that was going to create a backlash.

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #523 on: May 05, 2013, 03:57:15 PM »
The second problem with ED was the way Jack communicated it to the public, he was kind of a unicorn at delivering news that was going to create a backlash.

There was a reason a bunch of people were happy when Jack left the game... Suffice to say, ED was necessary, but it could have been handled much better than it was, and Jack didn't seem to be helping matters much.

Golden Ace

• Boss
  • Moon Zone Damn it!
« Reply #524 on: May 05, 2013, 05:11:57 PM »
There was a reason a bunch of people were happy when Jack left the game... Suffice to say, ED was necessary, but it could have been handled much better than it was, and Jack didn't seem to be helping matters much.

Much much better.

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
  • Sometimes it's harder to let go than to hold on.
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #525 on: May 05, 2013, 09:07:35 PM »
Much much better.

How exactly did Jack handle it, out of curiosity? I came in post-Jack, so all I've heard are rumblings
Name: Safehouse     Origin: Magic
Powers: Energy Blast/Electricity Manipulation/Flame Mastery/Teleportation
Security Level: 50+
Last Seen: Wandering the empty streets of the evacuated Paragon City.

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #526 on: May 06, 2013, 12:56:43 AM »
Ideally, ED would've happened in the very same issue as Inventions. I think everyone would've more or less okay with it then, instead it was like three issues apart.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #527 on: May 06, 2013, 01:18:05 AM »
 Basically Jack lied to the community and he got called on it.

Golden Ace

• Boss
  • Moon Zone Damn it!
« Reply #528 on: May 06, 2013, 02:22:06 AM »
How exactly did Jack handle it, out of curiosity? I came in post-Jack, so all I've heard are rumblings

as I recall he said there would be no more nerfs.

then he pulled ED on us and tried to blame the community, saying we thought of it.

and as said above,  ED and inventions should have came in the same issue.  would have lessened the pain very much.

Reiraku

• Boss
« Reply #529 on: May 06, 2013, 03:15:20 AM »

then he pulled ED on us and tried to blame the community, saying we thought of it.

and as said above,  ED and inventions should have came in the same issue.  would have lessened the pain very much.

He was half right, however. ED was originally suggested by early forum guru Pilcrow. And while he was correct when he said there would be no more major nerfs to powers, he was separating how those powers were altered by enhancements, making it more dishonesty by omission.

silvers1

• Boss
« Reply #530 on: May 06, 2013, 03:39:26 AM »

ED was not needed, the game was fine as is. 
Never cared much for the IO system either - it made builds way too complicated and catered to the "must have lootz" crowd.

--- Hercules - Freedom Server ---

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #531 on: May 06, 2013, 07:22:45 AM »
Logged into swgemu recently, damn... I just think to myself why the hell couldn't we have had this? Soon an nge server will be out for those that want to play the games final publish (what I'm actually looking forward to) I had stopped playing swg long before it's announced shutdown due my dislike with how they were handling new content; I didn't like how alot of cosmetic options were being put into random cards in that tcg game along with many other long time asked for items.

My gosh, I know we have folks committed to getting two different mmos going but I really just wish the effort was going towards an emulator. In my humble opinion, I'd much rather play issue 23 or 24 city of Heroes than play 2 more games. I have hard enough of a time picking what to play now with the huge number of mmos out. And sadly I fear that when "phoenix" or "heroes and villains" is out I'll have an even harder problem. Should official city of heroes servers come back before then or a private server for Cox come out before then, it will easily be a no brainer for me to go back to what I'm missing.

One thing I think that needs to be said regarding other games. If you LOVE the game you are playing right now I URGE you to get people started making an emulator for it right now while the game is still healthy so when the day comes you won't be stuck without it like we are with city of heroes.

Bottom line: I don't want anyone else to have to feel the pain I'm feeling right now.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 02:47:25 PM by Noyjitat »

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #532 on: May 06, 2013, 12:41:50 PM »
Logged into swgemu recently, damn... I just think to myself why the hell couldn't we have had this? Soon an nge server will be out for those that want to play the games final publish (what I'm actually looking forward to) I had stopped playing swg long before it's announced shutdown due my dislike with how they were handling new content; I didn't like how alot of cosmetic options were being put into random cards in that tcg game along with many other long time asked for items.

My gosh, I know we have folks committed to getting two different mmos going but I really just wish the effort was going towards an emulator. In my humble opinion, I'd much rather play issue 23 or 24 city of Heroes than play 2 more games. I have hard enough of a time picking what to play now with the huge number of mmos out. And sadly I fear that when "phoenix" or "heroes and villains" is out I'll have an even harder problem. Should official city of heroes servers come back before then or a private server for Cox come out before then, it will easily be a no brainer for me to go back to what I'm missing.

One thing I that needs to be said regarding other games. If you LOVE the game you are playing right now I URGE you to get people started making an emulator for it right now while the game is still healthy so when the day comes you won't be stuck without it like we are with city of heroes.

Bottom line: I don't want anyone else to have to feel the pain I'm feeling right now.

A CoH private server has been my "shout it from the mountain top!" subject since the closure was announced. It was my belief then and now that a private server is the only future for CoH. Based on hints thrown around here and pretty much just a hunch, I do believe that an up to date private server is being worked on in some capacity.

Our community is far too skilled and devoted not to be, it's simply what I believe. I also believe it because we should have no evidence its being worked on because that's what is best for a private server. If the private server workers were keeping us all updated they'd also be keeping NCsoft lawyers updated. Until the server code is ready to be launched or released into the wild it absolutely must be kept a secret.

Yes, its excruciating not actually knowing what's going on, or even if it is at all, but I have faith in the talented and tirelessly devoted people of CoH's community. Thanks to people like them I believe Lightslinger will be flying again someday.

vernes

• Underling
« Reply #533 on: May 06, 2013, 12:59:37 PM »
I made this account purely to keep an eye on this thread, since I recently was reintroduced with the annoying fact that my CoH character is no longer available to me.

I was wondering, would some high density social network be a good platform to draw some attention to this project?
On one hand you want to introduce some tech saffy people to the project while on the same time wish to keep things low profile.
Seeing as CoH has been abandoned and no 3rd parties seem to be interested in picking it up, going public might cause the following:
1: Envoke the wrath of an unknown 3rd party that had plans with the product.
2: Causes CoH to become an interesting product and causes 3rd parties to get involved in purchasing it.
3: Nothing happens because no company is interested, including the original one because suing some freetime coders is too costly.

Is it an idea to seek out social media websites for more spotlight for the project?

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #534 on: May 06, 2013, 02:29:56 PM »
I made this account purely to keep an eye on this thread, since I recently was reintroduced with the annoying fact that my CoH character is no longer available to me.

I was wondering, would some high density social network be a good platform to draw some attention to this project?
On one hand you want to introduce some tech saffy people to the project while on the same time wish to keep things low profile.
Seeing as CoH has been abandoned and no 3rd parties seem to be interested in picking it up, going public might cause the following:
1: Envoke the wrath of an unknown 3rd party that had plans with the product.
2: Causes CoH to become an interesting product and causes 3rd parties to get involved in purchasing it.
3: Nothing happens because no company is interested, including the original one because suing some freetime coders is too costly.

Is it an idea to seek out social media websites for more spotlight for the project?

Even if there are no 3rd parties are interested in buying CoH, NCsoft will absolutely do its best to shut down any private server projects. SEGS has been lucky so far, I believe the only thing keeping them safe at this point is the fact that they are building a very, very old version of CoH and it is currently very unstable. If it got much farther along I'd caution them to expect a cease & desist in the mail very soon.

If an up to date (i23 or 24) went public with development efforts I believe NCsoft would mercilessly hunt them down then lawyer them to oblivion.

Kriiden

• Lieutenant
« Reply #535 on: May 06, 2013, 04:19:29 PM »
Even if there are no 3rd parties are interested in buying CoH, NCsoft will absolutely do its best to shut down any private server projects. SEGS has been lucky so far, I believe the only thing keeping them safe at this point is the fact that they are building a very, very old version of CoH and it is currently very unstable. If it got much farther along I'd caution them to expect a cease & desist in the mail very soon.

If an up to date (i23 or 24) went public with development efforts I believe NCsoft would mercilessly hunt them down then lawyer them to oblivion.

Good. Let them. Hard to shut down something that's been spread across the internet and torrented.

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #536 on: May 06, 2013, 04:28:21 PM »
Good. Let them. Hard to shut down something that's been spread across the internet and torrented.

That's a fine plan once some stable server code is released, until then total development silence is, in my opinion, the way to go. Yeah, it really sucks for someone like me who is practicing the faith of a saint just believing something is happening, but it is better for the project.

And honestly, my hope is we get a server we can all rally behind and join back up on instead of scattered servers all over the internet. Somewhere we can rebuild the CoH community, and that is up to whoever builds that server. In order for that to happen right now we only have a faint hope of "Soon".

Luna Eclypse

• New Efforts # 9,000!
  • Boss
  • Follow my on Twitter @LunaEclypse
    • Luna Eclypse on VirtueVerse
« Reply #537 on: May 06, 2013, 07:13:58 PM »
I've been away from these forums for a long while and I thought I'd check in. It's May already and I'm still having CoX withdraw from time to time... even have dreams about it in my sleep. I think I'm at the point where the long-term effects of what NCsoft did us, the devs, and the game itself are my now unwillingness to ever invest in an MMO again be it financially and/or emotionally. I'm done, I'm just literally done. I play around with Star Trek and Champions occasionally as a free player, but my heart is never into it. Any time a friend or acquaintance tries to talk about new MMO's coming or just the genre in general, I find myself being an absolute buzzkill for them and I don't mean to but the reality of our situation still stings and people who were not informed or aware of how deep the damage goes on a plethora of levels need to be made aware lest the publisher of their game decide to be a complete asshat one day.

So yes, I would very much love to see a private server running the final build on even a semi-functional level one day. I might not derive the same satisfaction I got from my actual investment of the real service, but it might offer some closure and still give me something to have some fun with.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 07:45:37 PM by LunaEclypse »
"The Remarkable Dazzling"
Luna Eclypse

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
  • Sometimes it's harder to let go than to hold on.
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #538 on: May 07, 2013, 11:30:24 AM »
I've been away from these forums for a long while and I thought I'd check in. It's May already and I'm still having CoX withdraw from time to time... even have dreams about it in my sleep. I think I'm at the point where the long-term effects of what NCsoft did us, the devs, and the game itself are my now unwillingness to ever invest in an MMO again be it financially and/or emotionally. I'm done, I'm just literally done. I play around with Star Trek and Champions occasionally as a free player, but my heart is never into it. Any time a friend or acquaintance tries to talk about new MMO's coming or just the genre in general, I find myself being an absolute buzzkill for them and I don't mean to but the reality of our situation still stings and people who were not informed or aware of how deep the damage goes on a plethora of levels need to be made aware lest the publisher of their game decide to be a complete asshat one day.

So yes, I would very much love to see a private server running the final build on even a semi-functional level one day. I might not derive the same satisfaction I got from my actual investment of the real service, but it might offer some closure and still give me something to have some fun with.

I know exactly how you feel, Luna. I'm still struggling pretty much every day with CoH withdrawal. It only kicked in over the past couple weeks for me, so I feel sometimes like the game JUST shut down. I'm pretty miserable without it as an outlet for my stress, though, which is something it always was. I'm following private server discussions very closely because I want to log on SO much.
Name: Safehouse     Origin: Magic
Powers: Energy Blast/Electricity Manipulation/Flame Mastery/Teleportation
Security Level: 50+
Last Seen: Wandering the empty streets of the evacuated Paragon City.

sindyr

• Boss
« Reply #539 on: May 08, 2013, 12:36:24 AM »
So, still nothing we can play?