Author Topic: OK, what now? I need a private server or the ability to run my own.  (Read 333286 times)

Blue Pulsar

• Boss
  • Epic Mediocrity
Re: OK, what now? I need a private server or the ability to run my own.
« Reply #400 on: February 19, 2013, 06:23:54 AM »
Got in. Made a toon. Stood on place. Loved every minute. My guy wasn't transparent, nor did he slide down the street, but it also wasn't too dark. I know just enough about computers to know that this is a pretty big step. Thanks Nemerle and Segs. :D

Edit: Still trying to figure out the SEGS Executor thingy.
Blue Pulsar - 50 nrg/kin def - first toon - Liberty
Bane of Lanur - 52 nec/dark MM - Main vill - Liberty
Destan H. - 53 SS/FA brute - Farm/PvP hybrid - Freedom
Destan's Fury - 53 StJ/Regen brute - PvPer - Freedom
Destan's Shadow Gang - 53 Thug/Dark MM - PvPer - Freedom

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #401 on: February 19, 2013, 06:53:36 AM »
This is exciting to read.   ;D ;D ;D   (I'm not able to try it yet...but I'll live vicariously through you guys for a while)

nemerle

• Minion
« Reply #402 on: February 21, 2013, 10:54:26 AM »
Taking Sentry's advice, I'm posting this here in hopes that it will not detract from other valiant efforts taking place around these fine forums.

I'm preparing the groundwork for an attack on the Citadel of Input Processing and humbly ask for opinions from my fellow code-tamers.

Should You have a spare 10m I'd be grateful for any input you can provide, on our forums

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #403 on: February 21, 2013, 11:21:36 AM »
This is exciting to read.   ;D ;D ;D   (I'm not able to try it yet...but I'll live vicariously through you guys for a while)

That's where I am at.  Personally I have nothing to contribute and often don't even know whats going on.  But still its super cool to come here and read you guys talk about it, the whole thing makes me all jittery with excitement!

That's all. Nothing useful :) Please continue ill go back to the corner and watch in awe.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 11:31:18 AM by Taceus Jiwede »

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #404 on: February 21, 2013, 10:26:34 PM »
Taking Sentry's advice, I'm posting this here in hopes that it will not detract from other valiant efforts taking place around these fine forums.

I'm preparing the groundwork for an attack on the Citadel of Input Processing and humbly ask for opinions from my fellow code-tamers.

Should You have a spare 10m I'd be grateful for any input you can provide, on our forums

It strikes me that it might be a prudent investment of resources for the Plan Zs to lend a coder or three to this project for a little while. Y'know, as a way to regroup a larger chunk of the playerbase's former size into one place again. It would give us a place to gather with much-renewed spirits, reform the bonds that made us so great, and wait as one for the new games that are being developed. In other words, get back the old game as something to do in the meantime.

It's going to be a long stretch until alphas are released, let alone playable games, and ultimately we'll need more than a forum to ride out that kind of time frame. Titan makes a fantastic headquarters, but most people are only occasionally checking in here. I don't think anybody would disagree that what we all really want is a game to share and enjoy. That's what will carry us the whole distance without further erosion.

Sparing a couple coders for a month or two at this early stage, to help this project succeed, could make a huge difference down the road. Two to three years from now you'd be promoting your games to "tight-knit and enthusiastic" us instead of "sad and wandered away" us.

If nothing else, consider it research for when you get to that stage yourselves. Knowing the quirks and pitfalls of a working system could help you streamline things, or prevent a lot of wasted time on repairs by adapting your approach from the start.

Deathmint

• Underling
« Reply #405 on: February 24, 2013, 11:37:12 PM »
Just wanted to post my appreciation of Triplash's observations.

I have nothing to offer in technical abilities, but I've been following this closely since this is a rather big glimmer of hope for me.

Ampithere

• Elite Boss
« Reply #406 on: February 28, 2013, 02:30:32 PM »
It strikes me that it might be a prudent investment of resources for the Plan Zs to lend a coder or three to this project for a little while. Y'know, as a way to regroup a larger chunk of the playerbase's former size into one place again. It would give us a place to gather with much-renewed spirits, reform the bonds that made us so great, and wait as one for the new games that are being developed. In other words, get back the old game as something to do in the meantime.

It's going to be a long stretch until alphas are released, let alone playable games, and ultimately we'll need more than a forum to ride out that kind of time frame. Titan makes a fantastic headquarters, but most people are only occasionally checking in here. I don't think anybody would disagree that what we all really want is a game to share and enjoy. That's what will carry us the whole distance without further erosion.

Sparing a couple coders for a month or two at this early stage, to help this project succeed, could make a huge difference down the road. Two to three years from now you'd be promoting your games to "tight-knit and enthusiastic" us instead of "sad and wandered away" us.

If nothing else, consider it research for when you get to that stage yourselves. Knowing the quirks and pitfalls of a working system could help you streamline things, or prevent a lot of wasted time on repairs by adapting your approach from the start.

My only objection is that Plan Z has been concerned from the beginning about doing anything potentially illegal. As great as it'd be to see them help with SEGS, it'd also be pretty terrible if that gave NCSoft any sort of foothold to go after Plan Z.

It's probably just my tinfoil hat, but that was the first thing I thought of.
@Rorn

Most recently active as Blue Baron

Guardian Server

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #407 on: February 28, 2013, 05:54:17 PM »
My only objection is that Plan Z has been concerned from the beginning about doing anything potentially illegal. As great as it'd be to see them help with SEGS, it'd also be pretty terrible if that gave NCSoft any sort of foothold to go after Plan Z.

Yeah, I only thought about that after posting. I'd never want them to draw trouble to the projects.

Ah well I'm sure it'll work out sooner or later. In the words of the immortal Wham, you gotta have faith-a-faith-a-faith, baybay. ;)

SteveZilla

• Underling
« Reply #408 on: February 28, 2013, 06:41:30 PM »
Putting myself on the list for a PM.

Ditto x1000

:)

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
« Reply #409 on: February 28, 2013, 06:44:06 PM »
Yeah, I only thought about that after posting. I'd never want them to draw trouble to the projects.

Ah well I'm sure it'll work out sooner or later. In the words of the immortal Wham, you gotta have faith-a-faith-a-faith, baybay. ;)

But that was a George Michael song....

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #410 on: February 28, 2013, 06:47:59 PM »
good song.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #411 on: February 28, 2013, 06:54:08 PM »
But that was a George Michael song....

I... um... uhhh... *points behind you* Hey look, a distraction!

*runs away*

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #412 on: March 01, 2013, 04:07:38 AM »

If Marvel could not get a judgement against NCStupid for having a game where Wolverine's claws were duplicated down to the micron - not to mention Batman's cape or gloves, one wonders where DC was.... probably had better things to do - I have a REALLY HARD TIME believing that NCS is going to get Plan Z shut down on the strength of "we used to have a superhero game, and now they have one.... MAKE IT STOP!"

NCIdiocracy does not own the concept of people with paranormal powers. If they think they do, DCUniverse Online is over THERE, and the upcoming Marvel game is over THERE in the opposite direction. Perhaps they can sue Marvel for putting Wolverine's claws in MArvel's own game! I'd pay a dollar to see that. *munching popcorn*

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #413 on: March 01, 2013, 01:52:22 PM »
The thing is, the Marvel thing with CoH was I believe settled out of court, and lead to the bit in the EULA about making copyrighted characters and GMs genericing any clones they saw, which didn't happen before that. Had they actually gone to court I suspect Marvel would've come out on top.

Regardless, if either Plan Z project was to start using any actual assets from CoH they become open to legal action from NCSoft. I don't think aiding a private server project would let then have a go at the Plan Z project itself as well, but a legal issue would pretty much kill the project anyway once you take the associated bad press and legal fees into account, even if they didn't go for the actual project they'd ruin the people making it and kill it that way.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #414 on: March 02, 2013, 06:15:19 AM »
But Plan Z isn't using any assets from CoX; I highly doubt they are that crazy.

As far as a private server project, the operative word here is PRIVATE. Its private. How would they find out about it? And how would they get entry, even if they heard a rumor?

Lawsuits are all that and everything, but allowing oneself to be immobilized by the threat of lawsuit means you won't be living life. Anyone, at any time anywhere can bring a suit. You could get sued tomorrow. So could I. Getting a judge to take the suit seriously is another thing, and this will be hard to do - especially if money is not involved.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #415 on: March 02, 2013, 06:38:11 AM »
Whether they're on it or not doesn't change the fact that reverse engineering the server is against the EULA we all agreed to every time we played the game. Arguments could be made against that EULA being valid anymore so it probably wouldn't hold up in court, but you'd still be a hundred thousand bucks in legal fees to find that out and I dunno about you or anyone else on the project but I certainly don't have that kind of cash.

And no, to my knowledge neither Plan Z project is using anything from CoH beyond general inspiration.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #416 on: March 02, 2013, 06:47:30 AM »
Had they actually gone to court I suspect Marvel would've come out on top.

Then what's to stop them from suing a crayon company for enabling kids to draw pictures of copyrighted characters?

Ice Trix

• Boss
« Reply #417 on: March 02, 2013, 08:06:57 AM »
Nope, still no joy.
Don;t worry though 'bout it though, I'll try from a friends computer next weekend.
Worked fine to download from a mate's computer.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #418 on: March 02, 2013, 01:31:59 PM »
Then what's to stop them from suing a crayon company for enabling kids to draw pictures of copyrighted characters?

The fact that those kids aren't selling those pictures for real money. If they are technically they're open to it, but that's a level of evil that only the most evil corporation would even consider. Another corporation actively selling a product that includes the likeness of your copyrighted characters is quite another matter. The problem from their perspective would be proving that being able to combine parts to create such a likeness is the same as including it outright.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #419 on: March 02, 2013, 06:22:51 PM »
Whether they're on it or not doesn't change the fact that reverse engineering the server is against the EULA we all agreed to every time we played the game. Arguments could be made against that EULA being valid anymore so it probably wouldn't hold up in court, but you'd still be a hundred thousand bucks in legal fees to find that out and I dunno about you or anyone else on the project but I certainly don't have that kind of cash.

And no, to my knowledge neither Plan Z project is using anything from CoH beyond general inspiration.

What I'm not understanding here is the "hundred thousand bucks in legal fees." This is not the first time this number has been thrown around - and it does not cost that much to hire a lawyer.

Another corporation actively selling a product that includes the likeness of your copyrighted characters is quite another matter.

No one is selling anything on a reverse-engineered private server. As far as agreeing to a EULA, I for one am not feeling all that much loyalty to a corporation that threw us so far under the bus that a vortex to another dimension opened under the bus, and now we all find ourselves in a universe without our favorite game. I paid for their game for six years, and they decided they didnt want my money anymore. Me and them are quits; I am not bound to a EULA for A GAME THAT NO LONGER EXISTS.