Author Topic: OK, what now? I need a private server or the ability to run my own.  (Read 333196 times)

Adrenalin

• Lieutenant
Re: OK, what now? I need a private server or the ability to run my own.
« Reply #241 on: January 06, 2013, 03:25:31 AM »

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #242 on: January 06, 2013, 03:57:26 AM »
So are you, like, forcibly restricted from attending events like charity bake sales and church bingos? Y'know, cause they're run by not-for-profit organizations?

One would think, but no, those actually work out to my best interest. Bake sales because they are full of wonderful scrumptious delights and bingo is just fun!

RockLeeXIII

• Minion
« Reply #243 on: January 06, 2013, 07:46:26 PM »
 >:(

it makes no sense that NCsoft would have anything to do with SEGS being offline for these past weeks ... i mean there are so many wow servers yet you don't see blizzard trying to shut them down ...

http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/7641525

here is the torrent link for SEGS server ... that's the good news ... the bad news is that
the client that works in conjunction with it could only be downloaded from their site ...

i'll try to upload a copy of the server and client ... when i have a chance ...

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #244 on: January 06, 2013, 09:13:43 PM »
One would think, but no, those actually work out to my best interest. Bake sales because they are full of wonderful scrumptious delights and bingo is just fun!

Woohoo! In your face, charities! :D

SuburbanHell

• Lieutenant
« Reply #245 on: January 17, 2013, 11:49:57 AM »
So... has there been any progress on this sort of thing?

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #246 on: January 17, 2013, 12:42:20 PM »
What's the difficult word in "not public" ?
Yeeessss....

SuburbanHell

• Lieutenant
« Reply #247 on: January 17, 2013, 01:12:37 PM »
I had to ask.... it's not like there's a PM going around with such great information...

Septipheran

« Reply #248 on: January 17, 2013, 01:31:50 PM »

Also, we're still in the process of working on reverse engineering the server, and progress is coming along. As you can imagine, implementing a brand new server from scratch is something that will take a while, but hopefully we'll have something to show for our efforts before too terribly long.
Ah, and one more PSA:  Several people noticed that Nemerle's SEGS web site recently went down. There has been some speculation about why, including some rumors of him receiving a cease and desist (C&D) order. I contacted him and he told me that this is not the case; he is simply having some issues with the web host and hopes to have the site back up soon.

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,7585.0.html

nedthegreat

• Underling
« Reply #249 on: January 23, 2013, 02:49:43 AM »
Where is this list to get on? I want a PM too!

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #250 on: January 23, 2013, 03:01:24 AM »
Where is this list to get on? I want a PM too!

Keep in mind it's theoretical at this time. There is no existing private server - but it's being worked on.

JKPhage

• Lieutenant
« Reply #251 on: January 26, 2013, 01:54:26 AM »
Theoretical though it may be, I've been truly lost without being able to visit Paragon City whenever I need to escape for a while. If someone is making a notification list, I'd love to be on it so I can be in line to return to the city when/if it becomes possible. I feel like I haven't seen some of my best friends in ages.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #252 on: January 26, 2013, 03:01:10 PM »
We were discussing this in my Friday night group, last night. There is still a general malaise as we struggle to find a new game. ATM, we're moving in the direction of Borderlands 2, but that's not a replacement, just a distraction.

When a private replacement goes up, there will, no doubt, be a long line of people ready to sign up.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

JKPhage

• Lieutenant
« Reply #253 on: January 27, 2013, 06:36:23 AM »
We were discussing this in my Friday night group, last night. There is still a general malaise as we struggle to find a new game. ATM, we're moving in the direction of Borderlands 2, but that's not a replacement, just a distraction.

When a private replacement goes up, there will, no doubt, be a long line of people ready to sign up.

I know the feeling. I tried Champions just a bit but honestly I can't stand the visual style, it just lacks the charm of CoX, the gameplay is a bit too action platformer style for me compared to how CoX played, and in general the power selection just feels far too restrictive in comparison. "Sure, you can make an ice elemental hero, but he WILL be a tank and that's it. Also if you want darkness powers I hope you don't mind being a 'controller'." It makes me feel like I can't really make my own hero.

The sad part is, the closest I can find to CoX in terms of gameplay is WOW. I know it's kind of frowned upon by a lot of people in the CoX community, but it has a similar feel, at least at the lower levels that I can see. It definitely lacks the freedom and creativity of CoX though.

I'm tempted to try the new All Points Bulletin game simply because the character creation is so robust. Even if it's a shooter and I'll be terrible at it, I'd still feel a lot more free there than I do in any other game. I never realized just HOW much I appreciated the costume creator until I didn't have it anymore.

Steele Magnolia

• Minion
« Reply #254 on: January 30, 2013, 03:08:27 PM »
When this happens I would really appreciate a PM.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #255 on: January 30, 2013, 03:35:55 PM »
Pm? Hell, I want a full marching band and then I will set up a server in Paraguay.

Seriously - I am putting money away in a CoH server fund - so when/if it happens I have a couple of thousand ready to go on the spot.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #256 on: January 30, 2013, 06:24:12 PM »
The sad part is, the closest I can find to CoX in terms of gameplay is WOW. I know it's kind of frowned upon by a lot of people in the CoX community, but it has a similar feel, at least at the lower levels that I can see. It definitely lacks the freedom and creativity of CoX though.

I don't want to turn this into a "coming out party," but WoW has kept drawing me back, though never to the level that CoH did. I will never subscribe, but I'll probably buy myself a 60 day time card for my birthday.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Matt Bold

• Lieutenant
« Reply #257 on: January 30, 2013, 08:48:22 PM »
Strangely, WOW has been able to fill the void of general MMO.  Actually, if you haven't played WOW or havent played for several years I would give it a shot.  I stopped playing WOW in 2004, had a lot of gripes, and just started to play again.  Almost all of my original gripes with the game were resolved.  There are now markers on the map for where to complete quests, and there is now a "Dunegon finder" for levels 15+ that will automatically put you in a cross-server group in order to tackle an instanced mission.  Also, you can get a mount (something to ride to make you travel faster) at 20 rather than 40.  General leveling has also been quickened.  I have also personally found that there are a lot of helpful people.  There are the sterotypical people, but also remember there is a larger selection of people.

My gripes that I have left:

-The "Holy Trinity" is the only the way to go.  Healers heal tanks that protect the DPS who kill the enemy.  A bad healer or bad tank will destroy any team. 

-No "controller" equivalent character

-Short wait times for high population servers.

-Tanks are generally squishy.  A tank needs a healer to be effective.

-Until you get top armor, for the first 50-60 levels your characters clothes/armor doesnt match.  My healer right now has yellow robes, furry black boots, gloves that look like skeleton hands, brown leather looking shoulder pads, and a neon green viking helmet.  Oh....and he is an overweight orange humanoid panda.

Lucretia MacEvil

« Reply #258 on: January 31, 2013, 12:26:34 AM »
-Until you get top armor, for the first 50-60 levels your characters clothes/armor doesnt match.  My healer right now has yellow robes, furry black boots, gloves that look like skeleton hands, brown leather looking shoulder pads, and a neon green viking helmet.  Oh....and he is an overweight orange humanoid panda.

... I totally want to create a version of this in Icon right now....

Also, add me to the list of people who would like a PM if/when any sort of CoX server gets running.

Baja

• Lieutenant
« Reply #259 on: January 31, 2013, 04:34:25 AM »
Please sign me up for the PM list if this ever happens.