Author Topic: They closed my forums!!!  (Read 1283 times)

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
They closed my forums!!!
« on: December 02, 2012, 05:29:14 AM »
I'M IN UR FORUMS NAOW

More seriously, hello people who don't know me and people who do. I lurk a lot; I post when I think it makes a difference. I am here because I am a raging fan boy for Paragon Studios and the unique vision they brought to the genre and to the industry.

I am also a raging fan boy for the SaveCOH effort. I wasn't done with that unique Paragon Studios vision; having only shown up in March 2009, there was so much left in it for me to experience. And I think the SaveCOH effort can still be successful by saving that vision. By giving it a vessel--or vessels, many and varied, like our perceptions of that vision. By keeping it burning, like those torches in Atlas Park 33.

I answered almost every call to action, so why wasn't I here on these forums sooner? Well, I was being stubborn. I wasn't going to leave my forums until they forced me out. I didn't even post my farewell message until an hour before they shut the game and forums down, and it consisted of a repost of my contact information and a salute--not a goodbye. I also saw it as my job as a raging fan boy to post my fan boy support on the main forums and annoy all the negative ninnies that had taken over it. I got called names by almost all of them. It was much more satisfying than preaching to the choir here. Does that make me an anti-unicorn? (Edit: well played forum software, well played) Like an anti-hero? See?--I discovered a new part of myself!

By lurking over the years I formed a sense of familiarity with many regular posters on the forums, but those people didn't know me at all. I have been lurking here for a very long time, as a few of the coordinators here know (by all the PMs I pestered them with on the official forums), but my first priority during this closure has been to the friendships I forged in-game on Virtue over the years, helping to keep those friendships together, and finding out where they were headed next. I'm fortunate in that ALL of my tightest, years-long friendships have survived this ordeal and we're all still going to be playing together in a couple of different places.

I'm also going to be looking at the various projects aimed at spiritual successors and other super hero themed projects that are sure to be popping up here now that Tony and the Titans (hahaha) have opened the floodgates to our proverbial primordial soupy collectively creative shish kabobs. I'm also a raging super hero comic book fan. I'm sure I can find a place here somewhere.  :-*

P.S. I'm not very raging actually.

P.P.S. Captain-Electric on Valve's Steam network.

P.P.P.S. captainelectriccoh@gmail.com
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 05:34:20 AM by Captain Electric »

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
Re: They closed my forums!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 05:37:08 AM »
If you ain't joined in on Task Force Hail Mary yet, go go go.

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 09:29:02 AM »
Good to see ya, Cap.
The only thing that I demand of our future is that we end up role-playing in whatever future game we both end up playing some day (I put off making solid attempts to get together in-game for so long, and then it was gone!).
I'm not playing anything right now and probably won't be for a while... unless CoH returns (in any form or fashion) sooner than "a while".

Also, I understood your approach to the forums thing.
I came here and planted a tiny bit of foundation for myself, but pretty much neglected coming here very much compared to the official forums (and, was happy to fight alongside of you there from time to time).
:D

See you around, good sir!

--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 11:58:36 AM »
Hi Captain Electric.  I remember you well from the official CoH forums.  Glad you're here.
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Surelle

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 02:42:14 PM »
Welcome back! 

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 04:35:54 PM »
Re: the closure of official CoH forums.  I was initially POed that the official forums got taken down at essentially the same time as the server shutdown.   I now feel better about this because a sympathetic friend who's an attorney has explained to me that NCSoft had to take down the forums as part of the closure, that leaving these up might leave things (contracts) dangling, and that it would be cleaner from a legal perspective to do this all at the same time.
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Ad_Astra

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 05:31:53 PM »
Hi, Captain Electric!

Glad you made your way here - every forum needs more people with your blend of enthusiasm and peace-making.

What took you so long?