Author Topic: This sucks... but  (Read 9209 times)

Paindancer

• Lieutenant
This sucks... but
« on: December 01, 2012, 11:30:26 AM »
It does.

It hurts.  Something that matters to us was taken away by something we couldnt stop.

I guess, its supposed to hurt.

I see a lot of sorrow, a lot of defeated spirits,

Thats ok

Its normal.

this was important

but...

now...

From this point on,

We move forward.

We have loss...

But we still are.

And what we do now.. matters.

How we act... matters.

What we focus on.. matters.

This sucks.   I cant say I lost as much as some.. but it was more than just a game.  Much more.  A few know that.

So...

This is change.. not death.

It was unjust.. yes...

But.. like a fledgling pushed from the nest, we can take what we have and fly.

It's hard, it may be scary, and some of us may fail.. but

We are heroes.  A game didnt make us so..

Perhaps, we had a venue to explore that, but we found something out about in the process, something about who we were.  Those who stayed, fought, resisted.. it resonated with something deep in us.. who we are, who we are supposed to be.

So...

This isnt over.

And maybe... its time to take this further than a game.

The world needs heroes right now, and you know what?  Its easy to be a hero when you are armed with claws and invulnerability.  Just because we don't have that now... doesn't make us less.

So.....

Be heroic.

Every day.

Everything you put your mind to, even the small things.

Make a difference.

Starting now.

In a way, we just left the tutorial.  Now what are we going to do?

>>>sorry for the adios fueled emotional hemorrhage... but.. I think it needed to be said<<<
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 11:37:25 AM by Paindancer »
@vengeance mk2

The iReport:  http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-838027
(read it, share it, recommend it)

Greg Lloyd

• Minion
Re: This sucks... but
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 01:30:27 PM »
Let me paraphrase, if I may be so bold, in words that have been clinging inside my brain all night, where I had to work and missed the final climactic battle.

NCSoft can take no more from us.

ohms

• Boss
    • OV website
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 01:58:08 PM »
NCSoft can take no more from us.

Speak for yourself, I'm still waiting for my refund :p

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 03:26:04 PM »
I feel you...  I about lost it last night at the five minute mark.  Started hysterically crying, wasn't pretty.  Had a hard time getting to sleep too.... Still can't really make sense of anything yet.

Kitsudragon

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 03:36:32 PM »
I've posted this on a few other places, but I'll put it here, too.

What happened to City of Heroes was tragic. But it's not the end.

Our characters don't exist on their game servers. They exist with us. Their stories have been shared with us, and our friends, for as long as we've been there.

Personally, I like the player-dev endgame that was cooked up a few days ago. It suggests that a climactic battle with the Battalion resulted in Earth being sharded into three identical parallels. In one, the Hamidon of Praetoria fused with ours, and became an Ascended creature. The Battalion were trapped on that shard with the Ascended Hamidon, and trapped inside their own Battalion dimensional bubble, with nowhere to run. Who knows if they'll live or not? But their odds don't look good.

In another Earth shard, now known as "Incarnate Earth," humanity lives on. From our characters' perspectives, at the zero hour, Hamidon, the Battalion, and other dimensional invaders all simply vanished. Like they'd never been here. Earth had a moment of collective uncertainty before it finally sunk in that all their enemies were gone. The Rikti were gone, or their remnants trying to eke out a living on Earth without future backup. The Battalion had been dodged and trapped in a prison shard, the one future path Mender Silos could never have seen coming, and thus was never able to prepare for until last week. And the Portal Corps generators now connected to a whole new multiverse of destinations. Places they'd never been to before. Other worlds with heroes, and villains, and all new potential threats. Threats that Paragon City would need its heroes to investigate, and maybe forge alliances with.

And as for Mender Silos? A third shard, with no one on it but him. The price he paid willingly to carry off an eleventh-hour save for Earth's future.

In my world, my heroes (and villains) are waiting for me in their own private superbase, snickering at how maudlin I'm behaving. The villains are getting a a bit tetchy, because they have so many stories to share with me still, and I'm carrying on like I'll never see them again. But that's not true.

Disney may acquire the IP. Or someone else might. There may be alternatives in the future. Who knows? But even if not, I'll still be exploring my characters' stories, and sharing their adventures with them, wherever they open a Portal to.

Because that's what makes us heroes.

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 03:51:14 PM »
"And the Portal Corps generators now connected to a whole new multiverse of destinations. Places they'd never been to before. Other worlds with heroes, and villains, and all new potential threats. Threats that Paragon City would need its heroes to investigate, and maybe forge alliances with."

So... Stargate:CoH.  Cool, I'm down with that.  :D

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 12:08:14 AM »
...but....

I haven't lost a game, I've lost a home.

How do you replace that?
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Samuraiko

• Honorary Paragon Dev and
  • Elite Boss
  • EVERYONE LOOK AWESOME - I'M FILMING!
    • The Wandering Crane
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 12:21:03 AM »
Well, NCsoft can TRY to take away my videos and THE COURSE OF SUPERHERO ROMANCE.

TRY being the operative word.

I will find a way to keep them available so long as anyone else wants to enjoy them. Even if that means creating the COH underground.

*imagines a scene in the tunnels under Grandville as a seedy-looking guy, kinda like Wiggy the Brit, beckons sotte voce while holding an AE-like datapad*

"Hey, hey man... you need a fix? I got a couple Ko vids, a couple AngelusAnimi vids, and a few of the official ones if you just need a quick pick-me-up... Yeah... HD, too."

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite
The game may be gone, but the videos are still here...
http://www.youtube.com/samuraiko
http://cohtube.blogspot.com

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 12:28:02 AM »
...but....

How do you replace that?
You have to think as if there was a natural disaster like a tornado (I like in the tornado prone south central US as well). You have two options: move into a new home or rebuild.
I'll probably go in for a temporary home and try to rebuild here.

And remember: when life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 12:34:40 AM »
...but....

How do you replace that?

I don't think you can replace it. If a child dies, can they be replaced? Certainly not. You encourage yourself to remember the good times. As each day goes by, it will get easier. In the meantime, you can try to "turn it into something else", this sometimes overwhelming sadness and feeling of loss. As to the "How" - that answer is different for everyone.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Heat Guard

• Minion
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 12:38:19 AM »
Thanks tex, now all I'm thinking of is the Clockwork King with the goa'uld voice.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 03:18:44 AM »
"Hey, hey man... you need a fix? I got a couple Ko vids, a couple AngelusAnimi vids, and a few of the official ones if you just need a quick pick-me-up... Yeah... HD, too."

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite

That made me laugh. Thank you for that.

Medicow

• Underling
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 03:38:25 AM »
My characters will live on. Even without City of Heroes for the visual for the Roleplaying, those characters will not die. They are in my heart. The Roleplaying will not die.. City of Heroes was not a game. It was a stage and we were but the poor players bringing Dreams and Visions to light. For a short time We were something more.. Something bigger.. We were someone we wanted to be or doing something we wanted to do. It was an improv stage where we created and brought to life our characters. I had some great moments.. From Princess Bride style of joking. "You keep using that word. I don't think that means what you think it means." "Goodnight.. I'll most likely have to kill you tomorrow." Yes I actually pulled that line off with my villian talking to a Vigilante in Pocket D. Me and that player are still friends and still talk. Cross running WW Chars with Fantasy chars from several campaigns.. What other game could a cat-girl, an Angel, a vampire, and a bionic man can go sit down and roleplay and no one will bat an eye. If it is bought and reopened.. Hallelujiah! I will be right there, debit card in hand. Project Z gets up and running. Fantastic.. I will be there debit card in hand. But in the meantime.. I will do everything I can to keep Paragon City alive in my heart and in my fictions.

And Paindancer.. My Friend..

You know.. If you need me, you have my number, email, and facebook. Give me a yell Anytime.

Twylite1

• Underling
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 04:31:41 AM »
I'm still thinking a CoH MUD may be the way to go....

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 04:33:58 AM »
Only you, who loved this home as I did would understand why i cried myself to sleep last night after sunset. Others would scoff and remark, "Geez, get over it..it's just a GAME!"
Only you can understand my feelings. We all grieve differently.....I haven't lost hope, but I still feel a loss. For 8 years I could go to a place of fun, friends and challenges. I could FLY! I could live dreams and be a hero. It has left a hole in my heart right now.
                   Paragon
           Quietly I'm remembering you
           in the silence of my heart.
           Each thought of you, a treasure
           while we are now apart.

At times I'm filled with longing;
           Your streets I'd love to see,
           To team with friends, to fight the fight,
           to have you here with me.

But NCSoft had other plans;
           and numbered all your days.
           They took my world far too soon
           along with other games they'd replace.

I hope one day you'll rise again,
          Accomplished by those who care.
          Cherished memories of you live on in my heart.
          Till once again I'm there.

To the devs who created this wonderful world, to the people that I teamed with over the years, to the special ones who became dear friends...thank you from the bottom of my heart for enriching my life and adding to the pleasure. These things will always overshadow the sadness caused by those who made the decision to close my City.
If the fates are with us, City of Heroes will give birth to a love child.

Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

eviella

• Minion
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 05:02:48 AM »
...but....

How do you replace that?

Right now I'm in an IRC chat with friends from channels in the game; there are 14 of us on right now and at least 30-40 of us have cycled through in the last 24 hours.

We also have an email list, and facebook stuff for those who do that, and by extension we have these forums as well.

They took my HOUSE.  Family defines home, and they did NOT take that.  And thanks to you, I've at least got ways to fight for getting the house back; even if they're long shots.  And if they don't work, I see what I can do to help those trying to build a new house.

I've said multiple times that I can stand losing the game (although I don't like it); but losing the community is what hurts.  And now, about 24 hours later, I know I saved that.  It will change- I don't expect to see nearly as many people in the chat room as time goes on, for example.  But we saved the important part, and from here we can work on rebuilding.

I don't know how many victories like this I can stand; we lost something wonderful yesterday. But with about 24 hours past I can look at what I still have and I know that it was a victory.  They tried to take everything and we saved what matters the most.

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 05:29:31 AM »
i agree that they only took the home in a physical sense, but we as a family shall stick together

to kind of metaphorically illustrate, what we had before the shutdown was the age of dinosaurs, then the shutdown notice was the meteor, it may have wiped a lot of things out, but it didnt wipe out our community

"we can rebuild it, we have the technology"

Soundtrack

• Boss
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 06:06:38 AM »
...but....

How do you replace that?

A home is what one makes of it. We've lost a game, but we have not lost the spirit of what the game did for us. It created friendships and, for some... more than friendships... marriages...families. Those things won't fade or go away just because they shut down the servers.

And when I think of those people who have lost TRUE homes (either due to the economy, natural disasters, etc.)... not being able to log onto a game is really put into perspective. I have a home...it's not binary code or wearing CGI capes.

And just so I'm clear...I realize this game was so much more than getting missions or playing dress-up in the costume creator. This was something special... a venue where bonds (some much stronger than familial) were forged and fostered. And we should be grateful for its existence...else these bonds would never have formed...nor would some people ever had a place where they could escape the harsh realities from time to time.

And no, I don't think we should ever "give up". I think we continue fighting because our fighting IS making a difference and it IS being heard.

We are not heroes because we had cool hyphenated names and were able to "log on" to a game. We're heroes because we believe in something and fight for it...never surrendering.

So to answer your question, Ms. Lackey... we don't "replace it". We remember it and allow it to be the fuel to keep us going when the proverbial going gets tough.

Ichaerus

• Underling
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 06:17:10 AM »
"And the Portal Corps generators now connected to a whole new multiverse of destinations. Places they'd never been to before. Other worlds with heroes, and villains, and all new potential threats. Threats that Paragon City would need its heroes to investigate, and maybe forge alliances with."

I was thinking something similar to Rifts(the Palladium game), Spelljammer, or some other means involving planeswalking.  Would require having a Science, Technology, or Magic origin based friend/ally.

Daimyoshi

• Lieutenant
  • Shinobi
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2012, 09:38:09 PM »
...but....

How do you replace that?

I understand the feeling, nothing feels the same.

Well, NCsoft can TRY to take away my videos and THE COURSE OF SUPERHERO ROMANCE.

TRY being the operative word.

I will find a way to keep them available so long as anyone else wants to enjoy them. Even if that means creating the COH underground.

*imagines a scene in the tunnels under Grandville as a seedy-looking guy, kinda like Wiggy the Brit, beckons sotte voce while holding an AE-like datapad*

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite

I hoping to make some of my own, I did a bunch of demorecord. We see if I manage to make anything good with it.

Being a Villain player, I suppose I favour revenge more than some of you. Being a stubborn fool I carry this until I pass from this world both the good and the bad.