Author Topic: Aaaaaaand I'm DONE!  (Read 4619 times)

Coulomb

• Underling
Aaaaaaand I'm DONE!
« on: November 29, 2012, 05:23:09 PM »
I *just* finished archiving the final post in my Farewell to CoH thread on the main forums.  That comes after finishing up using Sentinel to save *all* of my and my wife's characters.  Seriously, I didn't actually think I'd save all of them - just the ones that were 'important' (spent a lot of time on, etc.)  But nope.  For some reason I was compelled to save every single stinking one.

All of my MA arc files are saved.  I have demos of all my bases, and of my major character's costumes.  Even a few demos of my favorite characters playing favorite missions.

I got my widow up to 50.  I got my "last character" up to 38 (so he had his choice of all powers in his primary and secondary).  I got my main back villain side - he is alone among my characters as having the souvenirs for *all* of the hero and villain side story arcs (*except* for the EAT arcs, of course).  Even had one last incarnately hurrah  with him.

At the start of this week, I was a little down when I thought of all of my 'last 90 days' goals I didn't meet (after all, my water blaster is still 29, and I really *didn't* get Lithos Fear up to 50).  But after a moment of reflection, I realized just how MUCH I squeezed out of these last 90 days.  And I don't regret any of it.  I am SO very glad I kept logging in and kept playing the game.

And here's the real reason for this post.  Is anyone else who 'kept at it', using as much of their leisure time to play CoH before it was gone, kinda *sick* of the game?

I know it sounds weird - and don't get me wrong: I love this game and when I've been away from it a few days, I'm *sure* I'll be missing it something fierce once it sinks in that I *can't* come back.  But I have spent *so much* of my free time playing it these last 90 days - playing whenever I could - that I'm actually kind of tired of it, and eager to do something different for a bit: start working on all of those 'non CoH' projects on my to-do list.*

It's just such an odd feeling to have right here at the end...

(In the end, I think it's good though - I'd much rather have overplayed to the point I'm kind of tired of playing than be facing down tomorrow with the feeling that I wish I'd put more time into the last days of the game.)

Anyway, thought I'd share, and see if anyone else was having a sort of 'strange' last day or two...

*Just for the record, that to-do list does include writing letters to support SaveCoH, so no worries there.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
Re: Aaaaaaand I'm DONE!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 05:55:00 PM »
I'm with you on most points. I'm not certain about the burnout part though. I had just gotten OVER burnout about the time of the Black Friday announcement. So I am hardly at the point of burnout now - though I think I may take a short break after the servers shut down to reflect on everything.

I too have been playing the hell out of the game when and where I could. I went from having slightly under 900 badges on my main, Cyberman 8, to having, as of current count, 1041. I can't think of how I could possibly get 1250 before the end. But I'm still satisfied, because in the main, I have now experienced ALL the incarnate content and been on successful runs of all the iTrials. Even Minds of Mayhem! Also have been on Beta with him and other of my characters to run the I24 arcs.

I'm not QUITE done yet. But I think I've gone from having experienced about 65% of the games total content to having experienced 90% or better. Even my villains got some love. My main redsider, Lily the Diamond, has also gone "full circle" and is now back redside. I intend to nudge her a little further and get her to rogue status before the end. (She's like Catwoman - she'll play by no one's rules but her own, but she's not "stone cold" either, and will help the good side at times.)

I have very few regrets left. Almost none.

But yet. I still feel like I'm staving off the end. Holding back the emotion until the very very end with all this activity. And when I finally get that "Lost connection" message at 2AM central time Dec 1st, it's gonna hit me.

*sigh*

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 01:42:52 AM »
Weeping uncontrollably every time I think that on Dec 1 it will all be gone.  That enough of an answer for you?
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 02:54:06 AM »
Being too busy being stressed and depressed about real world things to worry about a digital world, unfortunately.
Though I think the impending doom is probably not helping my depression at all.

Hotaru

• Lieutenant
  • Just a demo-loving fool in the Far East...
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 03:23:55 AM »
I share the burned out feeling, running 15-20 tip missions a day (and worse, farming the tips for them), grabbing demos and screenshots of everything--but I'll rest later. At least I'll have the physical exhaustion to match my emotional exhaustion on Dec. 1st.  :'(

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 06:21:49 AM »
I'm actually going thru and paying base upkeeps. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

redgiant

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 06:50:03 AM »
On launch day in 2004, I made a few placeholders for names on my original server Pinnacle.

Duke Nukem MD
Dutch Schaeffer

They look pretty close to their namesakes too.

I had never really played them, but I still logged into them as well to Sentinel+, ss and demorecord.

The only game I played longer is EQ, but these are the longest-lived intact characters of any game I've played.

Oh, and I'm going to have to add Evangel's Memories video to a block list or something. I watch it, lose it, then later watch it again. I'm a glutton.

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 07:21:25 AM »
i was almost burning out the week before the announcement, after the announcement i hung around in game for 2 weeks doing screenshots, talking to poeple, and getting a demorecord of my base

i havent really been on the game the last 2 months, i havent really felt like playing it because i know any progress could be wasted time if the game does not survive, i have however been keeping extremely close eye on whats going on with the game to see what happens

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 08:20:23 AM »
One of my regular Friday players had burned out on the game. He even uninstalled this, as well as others, so he could focus on a work project that was coming due. He will be joining the rest of us Friday night for the Grand Finale. I will do what I can to spread the word of TF Hail Mary, as I have across various servers, tonight, but they are a cynical bunch. To a man (or woman), CoH is the game we have all come back to, and that will count for something. We will not let this go quietly into the night.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 08:49:54 AM »
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Coulomb

• Underling
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 02:43:21 PM »
Weeping uncontrollably every time I think that on Dec 1 it will all be gone.  That enough of an answer for you?

Succinct, but speaks volumes.  So yes, definitely enough of an answer.

Coulomb

• Underling
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 02:49:50 PM »
I'm with you on most points. I'm not certain about the burnout part though. I had just gotten OVER burnout about the time of the Black Friday announcement. So I am hardly at the point of burnout now - though I think I may take a short break after the servers shut down to reflect on everything.

I too have been playing the hell out of the game when and where I could. I went from having slightly under 900 badges on my main, Cyberman 8, to having, as of current count, 1041. I can't think of how I could possibly get 1250 before the end. But I'm still satisfied, because in the main, I have now experienced ALL the incarnate content and been on successful runs of all the iTrials. Even Minds of Mayhem! Also have been on Beta with him and other of my characters to run the I24 arcs.

I'm not QUITE done yet. But I think I've gone from having experienced about 65% of the games total content to having experienced 90% or better. Even my villains got some love. My main redsider, Lily the Diamond, has also gone "full circle" and is now back redside. I intend to nudge her a little further and get her to rogue status before the end. (She's like Catwoman - she'll play by no one's rules but her own, but she's not "stone cold" either, and will help the good side at times.)

I have very few regrets left. Almost none.

But yet. I still feel like I'm staving off the end. Holding back the emotion until the very very end with all this activity. And when I finally get that "Lost connection" message at 2AM central time Dec 1st, it's gonna hit me.

*sigh*

Interesting you say that ... I think the only reason I *could* get burned out is because I was so regularly (and casually) playing the game before the announcement: the classic "I've got time to do everything I want to, so no need to rush." mentality.  So I wasn't even close to burnout when the announcement kicked my in-game activities into overdrive.

I feel your frustration: my main "badger" is at 1208 - *sooo* close, but it was a sweep of almost every exploration badge that got me there - and I just don't have the time to figure out where I can quickly pick up 42 more.  (In this case literally - I've got an extremely full day ahead in RL).  Yeah, I've got well over 42 in my closest to completion list - but they're the kind that take some effort to acquire (e.g. kill badges and the like).

I know *exactly* when it's going to hit: Monday morning when I'd normally log in for the first time in the week, and it won't be there.  That's going to be hard.

Coulomb

• Underling
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 02:51:41 PM »

Haha!  Yeah, I did that too!  (Even though I seriously doubt it made a difference, actually having my bases 'operational' while I got demo tours of them just seemed important.)

Actually, my villain group message telling me my upkeep was due 12/5 gave me a kind of bittersweet feeling...

Coulomb

• Underling
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 02:53:16 PM »
(inspiring image)

Nicely done.  Very nicely done.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 03:08:32 PM »

I only have the one base and I've already emptied out all the bins anyway (so the stuff would get captured on my characters by Sentinel). So I figure what the heck, I'm just gonna delete everything that causes rent. Less chance of a problem   if    when the game comes back online - no rent to be overdue and cause the power to get shut off.

Yes, I'm that much of an optimist. :)

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 04:12:54 PM »
Stay strong.

I know this day have been getting closer since Aug 31st and now it's finally here so some emotions that was delayed might come up for some people. Dont be afraid of them and let them out, in a preferable healthy manner of course aka dont go out and shoot anyone. If you can manage to log in and play, please do so, for that last time. Dont let it go and regret not playing that one last time. If you just cant do it, that is ok too. 

The game may be gone worldwide by this time tomorrow but we are still here.

I havent personally spoke on how the game closing made me felt at all because...well there is a reason for it. I'm kind of used to stuff like this given my past lifestyle in the Army and various other products I loved go to the pasture of the past but I dont think sharing my feelings on the closing would do any good as inspiration for many because some put their sweat virutal blood and virtual and real tears into this game and not used to it being gone with a decision they have no part of.

But I can say this. Dont be afraid to be emotional, it's not stupid or idiotic, or over reaction, or illogical. When have emotions ever been 100% logical? If they were, they wouldnt be emotions. They can take the game away, but they cant take away the community. They can take away the canvas for our ideas and work, but they cant take away the art. So far it seems that many people have tranfered those emotions into action, which is good. I think some, personally, is taking a tad bit extreme actions, but it's admirable they are doing something with it instead of letting it destroy them.  Some people been playing for nearly a decade and for many it's hard to remember what it was like or dont want to go back to what it was like 8 years ago before COH hit and they started playing.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 07:26:25 PM »
Hang on. So, when the game comes back, there'll be accrued back rent? That means Day Jobs, too!  I'll have to rethink where I log out.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 08:38:38 PM »
Hang on. So, when the game comes back, there'll be accrued back rent? That means Day Jobs, too!  I'll have to rethink where I log out.

Dunno. Guess we'll find out in a few months though, eh? ;)

Coulomb

• Underling
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2012, 11:04:47 PM »
I've been racking my brain with something meaningful (to me) to *do* on this last day; I can't *believe* it took me this long to figure it out.  Chalk it up to spending so long considering Lethal Guardian then Perturbation my 'mains.'

Coulomb was the first character I ever made, and the first character I did a mission with.  So the symmetry of my last CoH mission being with him makes perfect sense.  So that's exactly what I did.  Nothing fancy.  Logged on - did two tip missions with him (two because after the first one I figured "I really should have a demorecord of my last mission ever in CoH", and that's it!

Yeah, I'm very sad (*very* sad) it's literally hours from the end, but very happy it dawned on me to do this before it was too late.  WHEW!