Author Topic: How to Demo Record?  (Read 13213 times)

Shadowhawke

• Minion
How to Demo Record?
« on: November 28, 2012, 06:39:09 PM »

Found this on the CoH Wiki, is this information factual? I was not aware until recently we could do this, but I really, really would like to do a few of these while I can.

http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Demo_Recording

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
Re: How to Demo Record?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 08:19:59 PM »
Yes, demo recording is a real thing. And playback will continue to be possible after the game closes as long as you keep a copy of the game client. And manual creation of new demorecords will also be possible after the game closes.

You linked to Wikia's wiki, which is largely an outdated copy of Titan's Paragon Wiki. Our site generally has more up to date info available, probably better to use it instead:

http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Demo_Recording

Evangel - Project 7

• Minion
  • Never Surrender.
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 08:56:54 PM »
I'll be posting quite often and will be doing tutorials and videos and file-hosting for demofile editing post-sunset in My Map Thread. But yes the demo function is amazing!

In the first two posts of my thread I go over how to do the basics so you can edit after the dawn, and give an idea of what is captured and what you want to capture before the skies go dark.

Go. Hunt. Record CoH.
Evangel | Infinity Server
Go. Hunt. Save CoH.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 09:19:07 PM »
I thought I remembered reading that Black Pebble or Black Scorpion turned on some feature that somehow saved the whole zone as soon as you started the demo record. I've demo recorded a couple of "lost" zones, but it was a nostalgia trip. I was re-exploring the whole zone, since i hadn't been there in a while, so i haven't tested this. Can anyone corroborate?
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

epawtows

• Elite Boss
  • Mechanical Engineer
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 09:22:47 PM »
I thought I remembered reading that Black Pebble or Black Scorpion turned on some feature that somehow saved the whole zone as soon as you started the demo record. I've demo recorded a couple of "lost" zones, but it was a nostalgia trip. I was re-exploring the whole zone, since i hadn't been there in a while, so i haven't tested this. Can anyone corroborate?

A demorecord always records the entire zone you are in.  Just the base elements of the zone;  the only NPC's recoreded are whatever happens to be close to the character doing the recording. 

While playing back a demorecord, hit F2.  That will 'decouple' the camera from the character and you can fly it around the zone (controls are a bit touchy).  I believe you can even dive under zone maps and fly the camera through the stuff down there (shop & hospital interiors, that sort of thing). 

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 09:31:17 PM »
That would make "old" Faultline interesting. Those chasms are DEEP! :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

MomentaryGrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 09:43:08 PM »
How does demorecord treat cut scenes?

Scrapperlock in ten... nine...

Evangel - Project 7

• Minion
  • Never Surrender.
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 09:53:50 PM »
The cutscenes have never really impressed me in the game (a bunch of people standing around doing the lecture emote while talking... soooo riveting!) so I've never tried, but I would imagine if it's a cutscene that you are able to appear in (i.e. it happens on the map in real time) you can most likely record it, unless the cut to black acts as a zone change.

Back in the old days (don't know if this has changed) a zone change killed a demorecord and sometimes corrupted it altogether.

Go. Hunt. Record CoH.
Go. Hunt. Save CoH.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 09:57:53 PM »
Cutscenes never change zones; they always happen in the same zone. Sometimes it's in a mockup hidden away somewhere else away from the main map, but it won't stop a demorecord when it triggers.

Evangel - Project 7

• Minion
  • Never Surrender.
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 10:01:43 PM »
Cutscenes never change zones; they always happen in the same zone. Sometimes it's in a mockup hidden away somewhere else away from the main map, but it won't stop a demorecord when it triggers.

What if it's outside the character spawn radius? Now I want to try this ha I've honestly never even thought to try a record.

Go. Hunt. Record CoH.
Go. Hunt. Save CoH.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 10:11:43 PM »
What if it's outside the character spawn radius? Now I want to try this ha I've honestly never even thought to try a record.

It should still record. The demorecord just saves everything that the server sends. Normally the server doesn't send things outside of a certain radius of your character -- unless it's a cutscene.

I don't know if the demo will play back correctly with a cutscene, but even if it doesn't you should still be able to use the F2 free camera to go see it.

Quinch

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 01:53:02 AM »
Hey, quick note - you can use this - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/33551029/CoH_Demo_Timestamper.exe - to help with the demo recording - it automatically renames the demofiles as soon as they're finished recording, so you can just make a macro to /demorecord and not worry about overwriting the same demofile.

MomentaryGrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 03:46:42 AM »
Hey, quick note - you can use this - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/33551029/CoH_Demo_Timestamper.exe - to help with the demo recording - it automatically renames the demofiles as soon as they're finished recording, so you can just make a macro to /demorecord and not worry about overwriting the same demofile.

Could you give more info how and when to use the timestamper? I just ran it to see what was what and it "stopped working", but I don't know when and how to use it.

Quinch

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 04:09:44 AM »
Oh, that's weird.

I mean, what it basically does is look up the installation directories for the CoH, Beta and Test, then watches the demo folders to see if any files are being created or changed, then tries to rename that file into a unique filename. It's not very complex, you can just start it and leave it running before or while you're playing.

Anyway, I'll poke around and try to see what might be wrong. When you start it, do you get a window with messages like "monitoring {CoH path goes here}?

MomentaryGrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 05:04:31 AM »
Oh, that's weird.

I mean, what it basically does is look up the installation directories for the CoH, Beta and Test, then watches the demo folders to see if any files are being created or changed, then tries to rename that file into a unique filename. It's not very complex, you can just start it and leave it running before or while you're playing.

Anyway, I'll poke around and try to see what might be wrong. When you start it, do you get a window with messages like "monitoring {CoH path goes here}?

It just says it has stopped working.

I'm on Windows 7. Do I need to put the file in the CoH folder? I was running it from the downloads folder. I can't copy the text in the DOS window, but it says something like "unhandled exception" and lists the directory CoH is in.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2012, 05:40:43 AM »
Sounds like a try/catch out of place. Try this.

MomentaryGrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2012, 05:49:51 PM »
Sounds like a try/catch out of place. Try this.

Try "this" to do what? I can't copy the text in the dos window because of the failure pop-up, the dos window can't be accessed, it dismisses as soon as you acknowledge the pop-up.

Let me know, and use small words please. :-)

MomentaryGrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2012, 07:08:52 PM »
New question, and please forgive my ignorance.

I know playing back a demorecord requires the game client but will the playback work when the servers go down? Does is require the servers for data?

epawtows

• Elite Boss
  • Mechanical Engineer
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2012, 08:27:14 PM »
New question, and please forgive my ignorance.

I know playing back a demorecord requires the game client but will the playback work when the servers go down? Does is require the servers for data?

I have played back demorecords with my computer's network cable unplugged.  No problems.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2012, 08:32:50 PM »
Try "this" to do what? I can't copy the text in the dos window because of the failure pop-up, the dos window can't be accessed, it dismisses as soon as you acknowledge the pop-up.

Let me know, and use small words please. :-)

I guess I was misunderstanding what interface was showing the error text. There is a place where you can find the Windows log of the error, but it would be easier if you just open a notepad file and manually copy the error into that so you can copy and paste it here. That assumes that the error box/window doesn't lock every other function of your computer.